Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? 10:07 - Oct 26 with 1992 viewsHullblue

We didn't create much in open play, but we still had one cleared off the line and Edwards missed a header from about a yard out.

Yes, our passing out from the back is too unimaginative and ponderous at times, but we've got probably the best ball playing CB in the league on the bench.

He'll make a huge difference when he comes back in - I would hope he'll start either tomorrow night or on Saturday.

Add KVY into that (as well as Chambers has done at RB) and we'll look like a completely different proposition.

Yes, Lambert should have gone in March (or earlier) but he's here now, and we look streets ahead of where we did this time last season imo.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

No, because we were thoroughly discouraged by the past two years. (n/t) on 10:14 - Oct 26 with 1744 viewsBlueBadger

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 10:15 - Oct 26 with 1747 viewshomer_123

I posted this on the 20th....it still applies after the weekends performance:

Nothing new here. by homer_123 20 Oct 2020 20:51
A tougher test...not up to the mark tonight.

As we have seen for a while now...against better teams we get punished for basic errors.

We got away with Saturday's performance. Low and behold....not tonight against a better, more organised team.

Injury issues aside....this performance and result feels all too familiar.

Deja vu.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 10:19 - Oct 26 with 1727 viewsRadlett_blue

I thought Town were poor in the first half & it seemed only a matter of time before Lincoln scored. We were making them look a very good side, but in the second half we pushed up & pressed them more & quite frankly, they didn't look like scoring until the penalty & we looked more than likely to nick a winner. The penalty changed the game & the result so now some are castigating what wasn't actually a bad performance. Too many expect us to blow away the opposition in this league.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 10:29 - Oct 26 with 1705 viewsitfcjoe

We look a better team than last year, and bar a bit of braindead defending from Nsiala we walk away from that with a 0-0 and it's a good result.....especially after a tough start where they cut us open and we made a couple of adjustments which restricted them to barely a shot in the second half.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 10:48 - Oct 26 with 1639 viewsSWGF

We've needed more from the two more advanced CMs (Dozzell does what Dozzell does; no problem with him) in the last two matches, IMO.

They're imperative to getting us up the pitch as well as feeding the wide players. We did it in earlier matches, getting plenty of bodies in the box, dragging the team forwards. Nolan has been completely anonymous recently and we won't see him in any case for a while. Huws has been equally quiet & disappointing, and we're really missing Downes now. Bishop shows in flashes.

Regarding the match, Edwards should have scored. Crucial in a match with so few clear cut chances. And especially so when there's a brain-fart waiting to happen at the back.

Worryingly, we go behind and we don't look like we've got the guts or guile to get back into it.

Issue for Lambert is that he has no credit in the bank and everyone can still remember last season's capitulation so it's no real surprise to see the reaction when very similar performances are dished out.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 10:56]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 10:52 - Oct 26 with 1622 viewshomer_123

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 10:48 - Oct 26 by SWGF

We've needed more from the two more advanced CMs (Dozzell does what Dozzell does; no problem with him) in the last two matches, IMO.

They're imperative to getting us up the pitch as well as feeding the wide players. We did it in earlier matches, getting plenty of bodies in the box, dragging the team forwards. Nolan has been completely anonymous recently and we won't see him in any case for a while. Huws has been equally quiet & disappointing, and we're really missing Downes now. Bishop shows in flashes.

Regarding the match, Edwards should have scored. Crucial in a match with so few clear cut chances. And especially so when there's a brain-fart waiting to happen at the back.

Worryingly, we go behind and we don't look like we've got the guts or guile to get back into it.

Issue for Lambert is that he has no credit in the bank and everyone can still remember last season's capitulation so it's no real surprise to see the reaction when very similar performances are dished out.

Not just last years failure but the utter inept attempt at keeping us in the Championship.

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 10:54 - Oct 26 with 1617 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I did say elsewhere, I've definitely seen worse from us, but it wasn't good. Very powder puff, very uninspiring, incredibly sade and we allowed to game to just drift on by.

You may pick the odd away point at the better clubs throughout the year playing like that.

But it doesn't sit right with me that we are coming up against tougher test, and we look second best a lot of the time to sides such as Doncaster and Lincoln.

And it what really concerns me is that it was the exact same last year.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 11:57]

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:00 - Oct 26 with 1583 viewsDarth_Koont

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 10:29 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

We look a better team than last year, and bar a bit of braindead defending from Nsiala we walk away from that with a 0-0 and it's a good result.....especially after a tough start where they cut us open and we made a couple of adjustments which restricted them to barely a shot in the second half.

Agree with that.

We still need to do more and beat the better sides in the division which we continue to struggle with. But a lot better than last season against similar opposition and mainly, as you say, because we worked our way into the game and largely neutralised Lincoln’s threat.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:03 - Oct 26 with 1580 viewsLankHenners

We do look better than last season (although that's a bit like saying an unripe piece of fruit is more edible than a moldy, maggot-infested one) but at the end of the day that's only two chances. They should have scored that one inside two minutes which was pretty much an open goal from close in, and were unfortunate not to score from one of another 2 or 3 chances. If we're doing 'what ifs' then you have to take into account they could have put us to bed in the first half alone.

Injuries really don't help, and having Woolfenden, Downes, KVY, Jackson all available would obviously make us stronger, but that's an easy out and you can't sit around complaining about it whilst there's still points to be won.

As others have said, Lambert has built several rods for his own back with his pathetic attempt at managing last season, so each poor result, no matter how much 'better' than the sh1te of last year is going to be scrutinised.

Do we look 'better'? Yes. Do we look like that's good enough? Early days but we're heading towards a no.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:06 - Oct 26 with 1560 viewsCokeIsKey

Yes, it was diabolical.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:08 - Oct 26 with 1557 viewstractorboy1978

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 10:48 - Oct 26 by SWGF

Nolan was playing far too deep. You had him and Dozzell standing on each other's toes at times. He was playing that role so markedly differently to how he was in the first few games of the season. It worries me that Huws is going to be the shoe-in replacement as he looks absolutely miles off the pace to me and a complete shell of the player we signed.

It's a shame we have a dynamic central midfielder on loan at Cambridge. Can Lankester or Bennetts (or God forbid, Dobra) step back into that role and replace Nolan? Particularly for two home games we should dominate the ball and have to win.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 11:08]
Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:10 - Oct 26 with 1536 viewsGeoffSentence

As well as looking ponderous and uninventive we were absolutely toothless. All that needs to change and change quickly if if we have want promotion.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:11 - Oct 26 with 1536 viewsSomethingBlue

I think *part* of the midfield problem is that without Downes in there winning the challenges and breaking things up the others have to do a lot more work chasing back when we aren't controlling a game.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:11 - Oct 26 with 1536 viewsChrisd

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 10:54 - Oct 26 by TheTrueBlue1878

I did say elsewhere, I've definitely seen worse from us, but it wasn't good. Very powder puff, very uninspiring, incredibly sade and we allowed to game to just drift on by.

You may pick the odd away point at the better clubs throughout the year playing like that.

But it doesn't sit right with me that we are coming up against tougher test, and we look second best a lot of the time to sides such as Doncaster and Lincoln.

And it what really concerns me is that it was the exact same last year.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 11:57]

I watched the Talking Town podcast yesterday, which raised some interesting points one being our record against the top 10 in L1 over this season and the last campaign: played 20, won 2, drawn 8, lost 10, scored 9 and conceded 22. Any aspirations we’ve got to even get top 6 that record has simply got to improve otherwise get used to L1 football. It’s disheartening really, and yes PL shares plenty of the blame, but for all this talk we’ve got one of the best squads in this league those stats prove otherwise. Surely, cream rises to the top eventually? Not in our case clearly.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:16 - Oct 26 with 1504 viewsjayessess

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 10:29 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

Not sure what qualifies that performance as "better than last year". "We competed well enough, without much cutting edge and couldn't get back into it when we conceded a sloppy goal" describes about 9 of our 11 defeats last season.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:20 - Oct 26 with 1488 viewsitfcjoe

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:11 - Oct 26 by Chrisd

I watched the Talking Town podcast yesterday, which raised some interesting points one being our record against the top 10 in L1 over this season and the last campaign: played 20, won 2, drawn 8, lost 10, scored 9 and conceded 22. Any aspirations we’ve got to even get top 6 that record has simply got to improve otherwise get used to L1 football. It’s disheartening really, and yes PL shares plenty of the blame, but for all this talk we’ve got one of the best squads in this league those stats prove otherwise. Surely, cream rises to the top eventually? Not in our case clearly.

The issues is the teams at the top of the league are better coached than we are - so that is where the individual quality falls down and fails - compared to worse teams who are better coached than us.

We are effectively a few weeks into a new cycle, we basically have a new manager this season and it is going to take him time to get his ideas across and the players used to playing that way........we shouldn't be in this position, it's inexcusable that we are but that is basically what has happened

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:24 - Oct 26 with 1455 viewsitfcjoe

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:16 - Oct 26 by jayessess

Not sure what qualifies that performance as "better than last year". "We competed well enough, without much cutting edge and couldn't get back into it when we conceded a sloppy goal" describes about 9 of our 11 defeats last season.

I thought that we'd started poorly, and got more in control of the game - we were the more likely to win it second half as can't remember Lincoln having a shot as we seemed to have got to grips with them from a defensive standpoint at least

The same failings were evident in conceding a sloppy goal and then not being able to get back into the game.

I didn't come away from it enthused, but think that we probably should have got a 0-0 which would have been a decent enough result - last year against the better teams, especially towards end of the season it felt as though we were just held easily at arms length by the better teams, which wasn't the case

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:24 - Oct 26 with 1451 viewshomer_123

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:16 - Oct 26 by jayessess

No getting away from a deja ve feel in those two last games.

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:27 - Oct 26 with 1439 viewshomer_123

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:24 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

I thought that we'd started poorly, and got more in control of the game - we were the more likely to win it second half as can't remember Lincoln having a shot as we seemed to have got to grips with them from a defensive standpoint at least

The same failings were evident in conceding a sloppy goal and then not being able to get back into the game.

I didn't come away from it enthused, but think that we probably should have got a 0-0 which would have been a decent enough result - last year against the better teams, especially towards end of the season it felt as though we were just held easily at arms length by the better teams, which wasn't the case

For me, it's more to do with the fact that - even though we have (across all our games this season so far) used the ball far better and have, at times, looked very decent - it feels all too familiar.

Two tougher tests and we see the same failings as last year come to the fore. Yes, we might have been marginally more threatening against Lincoln than last and taking a nil nil wouldn't have been an awful result but....taking the whole game coupled with the Donnie result and performance it's difficult to not draw pretty direct comparisons to Lamberts entire tenure at Town.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 11:39]

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:30 - Oct 26 with 1428 viewsjayessess

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:24 - Oct 26 by homer_123

No getting away from a deja ve feel in those two last games.

Three teams blew us away last year: Lincoln (away), Peterborough (at Home) and Rotherham (Home and Away). Lincoln we caught "having a day", Peterborough caught us having a melt down. In two games we were wildly profligate and should really have got something (Blackpool Away, Bristol Rovers Home). The rest were more or less identical to Saturday.

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:37 - Oct 26 with 1417 viewsChrisd

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:20 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

The issues is the teams at the top of the league are better coached than we are - so that is where the individual quality falls down and fails - compared to worse teams who are better coached than us.

We are effectively a few weeks into a new cycle, we basically have a new manager this season and it is going to take him time to get his ideas across and the players used to playing that way........we shouldn't be in this position, it's inexcusable that we are but that is basically what has happened

What about 23rd placed MK Dons this season, are they one of the better sides in this league Joe? Yes, we played with 10 men for the last 30 minutes, but they were better than us before then and we were very fortunate to get that point. We keep making excuses for these players, they consistently keep underwhelming and the finger keeps pointing firmly at PL, which I do agree he deserves, but when are they going to start stepping up and actually showing they are one of the better sides? There’s not enough evidence to prove that they warrant that label and I still stand by that view. They flatter to deceive and have done for sometime now.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:53 - Oct 26 with 1378 viewsjayessess

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:37 - Oct 26 by Chrisd

What about 23rd placed MK Dons this season, are they one of the better sides in this league Joe? Yes, we played with 10 men for the last 30 minutes, but they were better than us before then and we were very fortunate to get that point. We keep making excuses for these players, they consistently keep underwhelming and the finger keeps pointing firmly at PL, which I do agree he deserves, but when are they going to start stepping up and actually showing they are one of the better sides? There’s not enough evidence to prove that they warrant that label and I still stand by that view. They flatter to deceive and have done for sometime now.

If the players aren't up to it then that's on Lambert too, really. Of the 18 on Saturday, 7 were Lambert signings, 7 got contracts extended under Lambert, leaving 4 (Dozzell, Nolan, Nsiala and Huws) that he isn't responsible for. At this point Lambert could have cleared out almost the entirety of the squad he inherited if he'd wanted to.

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:59 - Oct 26 with 1358 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:20 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

"teams at the top of the league are better coached than we are - so that is where the individual quality falls down and fails - compared to worse teams who are better coached than us."

This is so true.

I though Doncaster were a very well coached outfit. Know their indivdual roles, know the team colelctive job both offensively and defensively. I remember thinking the same when Fleetwood came to town last year, and most notably was when Coventry came to Portman Road.

It is where we will fall short. Our indivdual quality will see us past Accrington, BR, Gillingham etc.

We will continue to fall short against the better outfits this divsion offers up.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 12:01 - Oct 26 with 1349 viewsitfcjoe

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 11:53 - Oct 26 by jayessess

If the players aren't up to it then that's on Lambert too, really. Of the 18 on Saturday, 7 were Lambert signings, 7 got contracts extended under Lambert, leaving 4 (Dozzell, Nolan, Nsiala and Huws) that he isn't responsible for. At this point Lambert could have cleared out almost the entirety of the squad he inherited if he'd wanted to.

Nolan has been given a new contract, or at least had the option taken

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 12:27 - Oct 26 with 1299 viewsjayessess

Am I the only one who wasn't too discouraged by Saturday? on 12:01 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

Nolan has been given a new contract, or at least had the option taken

Yes, although he'd still be under contract now regardless, I think? But yeah the number of players at the club who Lambert hasn't got any responsibility for is vanishingly small now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024