Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kieron Dyer as future manager? 11:17 - Oct 26 with 4896 viewsBlueBlood90

Is it just me that can't see why Kieron Dyer seems to see himself as a club legend that should get the managers job one day?

In my opinion, he was just a good youngster that left the club at the first opportunity he got and returned when his legs had gone at the end of his career and nobody else wanted him.

Nothing wrong with that but he seems to talk about Ipswich as if he did far more for the club than he actually did.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 15:59 - Oct 26 with 1638 viewsParisBlue

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:24 - Oct 26 by jeera

I liked Jim and agree he should have had longer.

But the one thing that never makes sense with Marcus is when he replaces a manager he doesn't seem to grasp you're supposed to replace them with someone better.

Jim's time was up unfortunately, but was probably the last time we played decent football for a prolonged period of time.

The next 6 weeks could be interesting if things don't improve. We must get out of this league and with our squad and financial advantage there's no excuse in not doing so - I reckon my cat would have a good chance of managing this squad to promotion. If there's no improvement I'm all for giving somebody else a go just to change it up (I'm convinced had we appointed Warnock in Jan we'd have been play-offs at least...).

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 16:25 - Oct 26 with 1616 viewstractorboy1978

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 15:59 - Oct 26 by ParisBlue

Jim's time was up unfortunately, but was probably the last time we played decent football for a prolonged period of time.

The next 6 weeks could be interesting if things don't improve. We must get out of this league and with our squad and financial advantage there's no excuse in not doing so - I reckon my cat would have a good chance of managing this squad to promotion. If there's no improvement I'm all for giving somebody else a go just to change it up (I'm convinced had we appointed Warnock in Jan we'd have been play-offs at least...).

The problem is we have no idea what clauses are in the deal. If the clause for a reduced pay off is that we have to be mathematically unable to make the play offs then he isn't going anywhere fast.
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 16:39 - Oct 26 with 1603 viewspatrickswell

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 12:10 - Oct 26 by J2BLUE

Would love to see him as manager but it would be bittersweet unless he did an amazing job and left on a high.

We know how quick some of our fans are to turn and I really don't like how Magilton left the club and how there's still some fans who really dislike. Tarnished a good legacy. I don't want to see that happen with Dyer.

Just a word on fans - Jim was only really under pressure in his final season when he’d received a major cash injection and the expectation was that he would push on his first two years of work.

If Dyer succeeded Lambert, it would be nice to see, but he would be going before a fan base which, unlike 2009, and barring a brief upturn between 2013-15 has seen its expectations downgraded substantially by poor judgements and performance across the board.
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 16:44 - Oct 26 with 1595 viewstractorboy1978

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 16:39 - Oct 26 by patrickswell

Just a word on fans - Jim was only really under pressure in his final season when he’d received a major cash injection and the expectation was that he would push on his first two years of work.

If Dyer succeeded Lambert, it would be nice to see, but he would be going before a fan base which, unlike 2009, and barring a brief upturn between 2013-15 has seen its expectations downgraded substantially by poor judgements and performance across the board.

Perhaps. Although promotion from this division is expected and looking absolutely essential given the way football seems to be moving re the chasm between the Championship and L1/L2.
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 16:52 - Oct 26 with 1587 viewsLovinleagueone

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:28 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

I think that's a rather harsh assessment.

He'd played 91 times for us and only put in a transfer request after we failed to gain promotion in the play-offs. He wanted a chance to get into the international setup and that was more likely playing in the PL.

We also got a record transfer fee at the time for him.

Not really sure what more you were expecting from him.

SB

He jumped ship when the going got tuff!!
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 17:42 - Oct 26 with 1557 viewsthebooks

I remember Kieron as a really classy, silky midfielder; one of the best I’ve seen at Town — certainly more than a “good youngster”, which is probably why Newcastle shelled out 6 and a bit million quid for him and he went on to play 30-odd times for England, despite being crocked for about half his career.

I kind of think we’re hamstrung by the owner, but Dyer would at least be interesting and a change from the normal name we appoint. He clearly loves the club.
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 17:45 - Oct 26 with 1551 viewsParisBlue

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 16:44 - Oct 26 by tractorboy1978

Perhaps. Although promotion from this division is expected and looking absolutely essential given the way football seems to be moving re the chasm between the Championship and L1/L2.

Most of the division is garbage though and with a larger squad than most we should be able to play the role of "flat track bully" to win more than we lose.

The problem is when we play anyone half decent. I'd suggest the gap isn't that great but we need to get the players playing better. A change might just ignite this.

Thatvsaid the football is at least better than last year.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 17:53 - Oct 26 with 1537 viewsRegencyBlue

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 17:45 - Oct 26 by ParisBlue

Most of the division is garbage though and with a larger squad than most we should be able to play the role of "flat track bully" to win more than we lose.

The problem is when we play anyone half decent. I'd suggest the gap isn't that great but we need to get the players playing better. A change might just ignite this.

Thatvsaid the football is at least better than last year.

Our squad is large in numbers and short on quality!
Login to get fewer ads

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 18:02 - Oct 26 with 1522 viewsClareBlue

Are we turning into Forest
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 19:46 - Oct 26 with 1460 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:20 - Oct 26 by rickw

He did, unfortunately Jim's days were numbered as soon as ME took over - every new owner always wants to appoint their own man, I'm sure in hindsight now ME knows now he should have given Jim a little longer

To be fair to Evans, the fans were giving Jim a fair amount of clog to such an extent that he had to come out in the match programme and publicly back him.

Appointing KD as our manager doesn’t really make any sense to me I’m afraid. Might be different in a couple of years time

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 22:04 - Oct 26 with 1424 viewsTractorWood

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 15:54 - Oct 26 by nodge_blue

Possibly our best player since the Robson team.

I don't know if he would make a good manager or not but one thing for sure is that he has the club in his heart which is a good start.

Agree. I think the previous connection to a club can go both ways as a manager. More recently you have high profile disasters like Daglish at Liverpool and Shearer at toon.

To me the emotion of a local legend as manager can make the overall experience feel more volatile.

I like Kieron. A great player and as SB says we couldn't really have asked much more of him when he was here. Whether or not he is the answer to our never ending woes, I don't know but I suspect not, sadly. That's more due to the extent of our woes though!

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 07:04 - Oct 27 with 1360 viewsIpswichKnight

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 22:04 - Oct 26 by TractorWood

Agree. I think the previous connection to a club can go both ways as a manager. More recently you have high profile disasters like Daglish at Liverpool and Shearer at toon.

To me the emotion of a local legend as manager can make the overall experience feel more volatile.

I like Kieron. A great player and as SB says we couldn't really have asked much more of him when he was here. Whether or not he is the answer to our never ending woes, I don't know but I suspect not, sadly. That's more due to the extent of our woes though!

To be fair he has the coaching badges ( which as far as I know Skuse and Chambers don’t ), he changed the culture of the U18’s when he was with them and he wasn’t afraid to innovate ( played both Dobra and El-Miz as number 10’s ) . I also remember ME saying they want to promote coaches from within the club when they can. There would be far worse candidates out there when Lambert is shown the door.
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 07:42 - Oct 27 with 1346 viewsKropotkin123

He'd played 91 times for us and only put in a transfer request after we failed to gain promotion in the play-offs. He wanted a chance to get into the international setup and that was more likely playing in the PL.

SB

Exactly, and let's not underplay that transfer fee.

When he left us in 1999, he changed the financial outlook of the club. We had to sell players year on year to bring new ones in and improve the first team. So the year before we sold Taricco and Mathie for 2-3m which allowed us to pay debts and bring in Wilnis and Magilton.

Dyer's sale allowed us to be financially secure, buy J Wright, McGreal, Croft and later Stewart. We also managed to get Reuser in on loan too.

The guys performances and subsequent sale allowed us to flourish. 6m may not seem like a lot now, but it was a huge deal at the time for a youngster. He knew that moving on was best for all of us, he was a Town fan with mates in the stands and didn't take the decision lightly.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 09:16 - Oct 27 with 1303 viewsdaisyisabaddog

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:38 - Oct 26 by rickw

He was born in Ipswich, an Ipswich fan, played for Ipswich and still lives near Ipswich - there aren't many out there with more passion for the club than him.

Whether that makes him a good manager or not I don't know!

No it doesn't. The bloke struggles with whole sentences. The club may be at its lowest ebb for 60 years but surely we could do better
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 13:47 - Oct 27 with 1241 viewsEwan_Oozami

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 22:04 - Oct 26 by TractorWood

That'd be Daglish's 2nd stint then? The first one was quite successful as I recall..

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:42 - Oct 27 with 1207 viewsBluearmy71

SB

Didn't mean to down vote this!

But he was defo told we had to sell him, we all knew it when he chucked his boots into the North Stand, in my experience that's not an action of a player whom has handed in a transfer request.
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:51 - Oct 27 with 1198 viewstractorboy1978

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:42 - Oct 27 by Bluearmy71

Didn't mean to down vote this!

But he was defo told we had to sell him, we all knew it when he chucked his boots into the North Stand, in my experience that's not an action of a player whom has handed in a transfer request.

I think whether he did or not is fairly irrelevant. We all knew he was leaving if we didn't get promoted because he was FAR too good to be playing in Division One. We are talking about a player that was on the fringes of the full England squad and made his England debut a couple of months after leaving us. He was a regular for Newcastle and one of their best players.

He knew he had to leave for his own career but it was with a very heavy heart hence the memorable tears and throwing his boots into the crowd.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2020 14:52]
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 15:04 - Oct 27 with 1183 viewshype313

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 14:51 - Oct 27 by tractorboy1978

I think whether he did or not is fairly irrelevant. We all knew he was leaving if we didn't get promoted because he was FAR too good to be playing in Division One. We are talking about a player that was on the fringes of the full England squad and made his England debut a couple of months after leaving us. He was a regular for Newcastle and one of their best players.

He knew he had to leave for his own career but it was with a very heavy heart hence the memorable tears and throwing his boots into the crowd.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2020 14:52]

I do wonder if he would have stayed if we had got promoted

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 15:08 - Oct 27 with 1176 viewsjeera

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 15:04 - Oct 27 by hype313

I do wonder if he would have stayed if we had got promoted

Surely it was his sale that got us promoted.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 15:10 - Oct 27 with 1173 viewshype313

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 15:08 - Oct 27 by jeera

Surely it was his sale that got us promoted.

Yep, but I mean had we got promoted in 99 via the playoffs

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 15:17 - Oct 27 with 1162 viewsChurchman

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 15:10 - Oct 27 by hype313

Yep, but I mean had we got promoted in 99 via the playoffs

I suspect he might have stayed another season had we got promoted in 1999. Similar scenario to Jason Dozzell and Richard Wright.

As it was, he and the club benefitted from the move, thanks to GBs astute transfer dealings at that time.
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 17:05 - Oct 27 with 1133 viewsArnieM

KD has minimal senior coaching experience in football. He left the club because he “didn’t want to do kids football”, and supposedly was going on to “broaden his football horizons and get more experience“.

18 months on (according to a close friend of his who I was talking to about a month ago) he has not done anything active in the game in that 18/12 period. Now he’s suddenly he’s being lined up as Towns U 23coach. All seems a bit odd to me.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 17:08 - Oct 27 with 1131 viewsTractorWood

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 13:47 - Oct 27 by Ewan_Oozami

That'd be Daglish's 2nd stint then? The first one was quite successful as I recall..

Yeh the one that wasn't 35 years ago....

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 17:17 - Oct 27 with 1128 viewshappybeingblue

Not many ipswich boys represent england at a world cup and gain 33 caps,sure he made a few mistakes as a young lad with loads of £, he speaks very openly and honestly from what i have seen of him on tv and addressing sensitive issues highlighted recently re himself too, i would be happy to see him in the itfc job in the future. neil warnock by all accounts thinks highly of kieron too not a bad endorsement with his cv .
Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 17:27 - Oct 27 with 1120 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Kieron Dyer as future manager? on 11:39 - Oct 26 by davblue

When he left it was the right time to leave for him personally and for the club, he was ready for the step up at that point.

As for his return, why not, it didn't work out, i suspect he wasn't on massive wages.

The money we got for the deal with Newcastle made us far stronger.

J Wright, McGreal, Croft, Stewart and Reuser were all signed with the money.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024