Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Evatt's "man up comments" 14:48 - Oct 26 with 1864 viewsMullet

A mate of mine is a Bolton fan and isn't happy at all with them, specifically about the message it sends and the fact he expects Evatt as a younger manager not to hold these views.

You can hear the snippet here:

Whether you agree with him or not, you can suggest he was very silly to say these things on record in this way. I do think the distance between managers and their younger players is widening at a quicker rate. If you compare it to say SBR at Newcastle it's understandable, but I think it shows that trying to do what was right or acceptable when you were a player has an even shorter shelf life these days.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 14:53 - Oct 26 with 1825 viewspointofblue

I guess it depends on the character - I remember Chris Wilder publicly criticised Dean Henderson after he made an error against Liverpool last season; Henderson bounced back and would be in the first XI of most Premier League teams after being arguably the goalkeeper of the season.

Some would wilt under this pressure but it’s the making of others.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 14:53 - Oct 26 with 1822 viewsDanTheMan

I don't even get what he's saying?

Young goalkeeper makes some mistakes, so he has to "man up" because "it's a mans game"?

That doesn't mean anything.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 14:55 - Oct 26 with 1813 viewsMullet

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 14:53 - Oct 26 by pointofblue

I guess it depends on the character - I remember Chris Wilder publicly criticised Dean Henderson after he made an error against Liverpool last season; Henderson bounced back and would be in the first XI of most Premier League teams after being arguably the goalkeeper of the season.

Some would wilt under this pressure but it’s the making of others.

What did Wilder say out of interest? I think that's the critical factor isn't it? The wording and intent behind it

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 14:56 - Oct 26 with 1802 viewsMullet

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 14:53 - Oct 26 by DanTheMan

Young goalkeeper makes some mistakes, so he has to "man up" because "it's a mans game"?

I guess it's some sort of link to masculinity meaning you don't get affected by mistakes?

Ian Evatt's on 14:56 - Oct 26 with 1798 viewsSpruceMoose

Fairly sure this is the wisdom the you pick up at the School of Hard Knocks and the University of Life.

It's meaningless guff that's designed to sound like you're saying something both wise and ultra masculine while actually saying nothing at all.

Only tends to appeal to fellow alumni of SoHK and UoL.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 14:57]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 15:38 - Oct 26 with 1616 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

This is what I couldn't understand. I mean Evatt has c*cked up here, he actually started to reel off previous errors that the keeper had made in other games, outrageous management.

But what does he actually mean 'man up, this is a man's game'. He just made a mistake?

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 15:49 - Oct 26 with 1572 viewsitfcjoe

I think the term 'man up' just has such negative connotations these days with regards to mental health but that he was unwise to use it.

Without knowing the characters it's hard to gauge how good or bad a piece of management this is - on the face of it I'd suggest it's poor, but if the keeper is a supremely arrogant guy then maybe he things and as the EI to know that best way to get through is to have a public pop to get him to come down a peg or two.

Guess we'll find out in due course, but the use of 'man up' is not good, and it seems as though this is well OTT and will be counterproductive

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 15:53 - Oct 26 with 1547 viewspointofblue

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 14:55 - Oct 26 by Mullet

What did Wilder say out of interest? I think that's the critical factor isn't it? The wording and intent behind it

https://www.football365.com/news/wilder-ruthless-in-assessment-of-hendersons-liv

Login to get fewer ads

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 16:16 - Oct 26 with 1471 viewsUB9Blue

Didn't he leave QPR on loan to Blackpool because his wife was homesick. I wonder if he had the equivalent conversation with her (woman up)

Seems a rather strange statement to ay publicly about a young keeper
Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 17:09 - Oct 26 with 1352 viewsMullet

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 15:53 - Oct 26 by pointofblue

https://www.football365.com/news/wilder-ruthless-in-assessment-of-hendersons-liv

While they aren't new age, those comments at least read very differently and suggest there is a plan to manage the player etc. Evatt just sounds like a bad boss punching down unfortunately.

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 17:54 - Oct 26 with 1240 viewspointofblue

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 17:09 - Oct 26 by Mullet

While they aren't new age, those comments at least read very differently and suggest there is a plan to manage the player etc. Evatt just sounds like a bad boss punching down unfortunately.

Whilst it’s slightly kinder than Evatt the plan from Wilder just seems to be telling Henderson to concentrate. I’m not knocking it if that was all it was as it worked!

Ian Evatt's "man up comments" on 08:57 - Oct 27 with 793 viewsRadlett_blue

Indeed. Should Evatt have said "person up"? His remarks weren't intended to be gender specific, he was using a figure of speech. At least we can feel comfortable that Marcus Evans is our "chairperson".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024