Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place 17:14 - Oct 26 with 1488 viewsSteve_M

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/26/ffree-school-meals-row-deb

And for the benefit of the hard of thinking, no it isn't booze and fags.

Edit: I saw this earlier which just reinforces the point, 'Austerity' was alwaysa politically-motivated reason to shrink the state:

[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 18:28]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 17:15 - Oct 26 with 1458 viewsSpruceMoose

Before I read the article... is the answer 'Conservative voters'?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 17:28 - Oct 26 with 1422 viewsJ2BLUE

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 17:15 - Oct 26 by SpruceMoose

Before I read the article... is the answer 'Conservative voters'?

I don't understand them making such a stand over what is, relatively, peanuts? Who does it benefit? The minority of horrible people who think anyone benefits is some sort of scrounger. Who else?

Weird stand to make IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 17:33 - Oct 26 with 1408 viewsSpruceMoose

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 17:28 - Oct 26 by J2BLUE

I don't understand them making such a stand over what is, relatively, peanuts? Who does it benefit? The minority of horrible people who think anyone benefits is some sort of scrounger. Who else?

Weird stand to make IMO.

Because it isn't about the money. It's about the people.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 17:33 - Oct 26 with 1409 viewsDarth_Koont

If only we had a political party and leader committed to addressing structural, regional and racial poverty. Or a media that was somewhat politically, economically and socially literate and caring so it could host a genuine debate.

Instead the answer on both sides of the commons floor will be “family, nation and opportunity” rather than actually addressing the outcomes and inevitable inequalities that blinkered approach results in.

Not a dig at you Steve but we’re further than we’ve ever been from addressing the underlying issues.

Pronouns: He/Him

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 17:35 - Oct 26 with 1408 viewsHARRY10

It is because they have sold the lie to the stupid that benefits are a bonus, that the poor should be grateful for - not a means of keeping people poor by paying them the absolute minimum, then topping up only where absolutely necessary.

And that ;topping up' has been reduced consistently over the past decade or so.

Housing benefit - which invariably ends up in the hands of Tory voting landlords, but when added to the benefits paid is seen as a huge amount being paid to the poor. It is not. They never see it

Council housing sold at massive discounts that are now having to be rented back from landlords at exorbitant prices. How much of that money could be used to build decent social housing rather than paying for all too often squalid housing ?

The 'poor' are not the problem, they are a consequence of the problem
An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 18:16 - Oct 26 with 1342 viewsSteve_M

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 17:28 - Oct 26 by J2BLUE

Weird stand to make IMO.

Because they are bad at politics. Beating an insipid Remain campaign and Corbyn doesn't make Dom the political genius he thinks he is in his own head.

A cabinet of conformists selected for reasons of political correctness isn't going to contain anyone bold enough to suggest that this might just have been a bad idea.

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 18:20 - Oct 26 with 1326 viewsfactual_blue

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 18:16 - Oct 26 by Steve_M

Because they are bad at politics. Beating an insipid Remain campaign and Corbyn doesn't make Dom the political genius he thinks he is in his own head.

A cabinet of conformists selected for reasons of political correctness isn't going to contain anyone bold enough to suggest that this might just have been a bad idea.

In addition, there is no evidence whatsoever that superforecasting works.

Sorry, cummings. You'll have to find a new pointless gimmick.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 18:27 - Oct 26 with 1296 viewsDyland

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 18:16 - Oct 26 by Steve_M

Cummings is being shown up for what he is. It is embarrassing and worrying that our PM needs such an average thinker.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 18:27 - Oct 26 with 1290 viewsbaxterbasics

Dammit. I like Jack Monroe. I'm so conflicted.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 18:27 - Oct 26 with 1289 viewsHARRY10

Weird stand to make IMO.

I can only think it is some kind of demonstration of 'firm' government - in the face of endless previous u-turns.

But given the way Sunak has been running amok in the money orchard this smacks of merely continuing that the long line of cock ups.

The 3 line whip over the vote appeared to be more concerned with not allowing a Labour win. Something that might be a victory in politics, but not in the wider world.

From Patel to Williamson, Johnson to Hancock this is a government NOT up to the job. One hamstrung by petty vindictiveness, and total incompetence.

Must make you proud if you voted for them.
An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 18:34 - Oct 26 with 1281 viewsEwan_Oozami

I have saved that diagram to show to anyone who says that lower incomes families have it too good....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 19:09 - Oct 26 with 1214 viewsmonytowbray

The Dead Kennedys have been saying this since the 80s.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 19:32 - Oct 26 with 1162 viewsBlueBadger

Weird stand to make IMO.

Its because they're vile, incompetent sociopathic c*nts who are more interested in feathering the nests of themselves and their mates rather doing right by the nation.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 19:34 - Oct 26 with 1158 viewsBlueBadger

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 17:33 - Oct 26 by SpruceMoose

Because it isn't about the money. It's about the people.

They're all about looking after the first part of the white working class people that they're desperately trying to appeal to.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 19:49 - Oct 26 with 1133 viewsBlueBadger

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 18:27 - Oct 26 by baxterbasics

Dammit. I like Jack Monroe. I'm so conflicted.

What's not to like? She basically bankrupted Katie Hopkins. She's a national hero.

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 20:03 - Oct 26 with 1098 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Not the easiest graph to understand that.

My understanding: Left-to-right shows tenths of the population in terms of poorest to richest (not sure what criteria is used to determine this but presumably is explained somewhere).

It appears that average earnings for all groups have increased. Direct taxation has been reduced for all but affecting the middle bracket most. Indirect taxation has increased most for the poorest. Benefits have reduced for all but hit the poorest hardest.

Then, presumably, the black line gives the overall impact of all that and shows the second-poorest 10% have been hit slightly harder than the very poorest then each bracket has been hit less until you get to the richest 30%. The richest 10% on average are no better off nor any worse. The next two are the only ones who are better off.

All this before Brexit which will hit all of those groups hard.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 21:02 - Oct 26 with 1037 viewsSteve_M

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 20:03 - Oct 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

My understanding: Left-to-right shows tenths of the population in terms of poorest to richest (not sure what criteria is used to determine this but presumably is explained somewhere).

It appears that average earnings for all groups have increased. Direct taxation has been reduced for all but affecting the middle bracket most. Indirect taxation has increased most for the poorest. Benefits have reduced for all but hit the poorest hardest.

Then, presumably, the black line gives the overall impact of all that and shows the second-poorest 10% have been hit slightly harder than the very poorest then each bracket has been hit less until you get to the richest 30%. The richest 10% on average are no better off nor any worse. The next two are the only ones who are better off.

I didn’t post the link to the paper but it’s here:

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 21:38 - Oct 26 with 1000 viewsSwansea_Blue

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 20:03 - Oct 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Bit of a 'mare innit. I suspect the total black line is the key one. So the first 70% of households are worse off (not better) and then the bars show how the changes are distributed; i.e. benefits and tax credit changes make the 1st (poorest) category of households about 14% worse off, indirect tax changes about 2-3% worse off, but then Universal credui about 45 better off, income tax changes about 1% better off, gross incomes about 2.5% higher, leading to a total of about a 9% reduction in net income.

In other words, the increases in support we hear a lot about from government supporters (universal credit and the tax breaks at the low end of the scale) don't come close to offsetting the things the government have taken away. It's always the same with the tories, they're the party of the hidden tax. Always have been, always will be.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 07:59 - Oct 27 with 851 viewsSteve_M

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 21:38 - Oct 26 by Swansea_Blue

Bit of a 'mare innit. I suspect the total black line is the key one. So the first 70% of households are worse off (not better) and then the bars show how the changes are distributed; i.e. benefits and tax credit changes make the 1st (poorest) category of households about 14% worse off, indirect tax changes about 2-3% worse off, but then Universal credui about 45 better off, income tax changes about 1% better off, gross incomes about 2.5% higher, leading to a total of about a 9% reduction in net income.

In other words, the increases in support we hear a lot about from government supporters (universal credit and the tax breaks at the low end of the scale) don't come close to offsetting the things the government have taken away. It's always the same with the tories, they're the party of the hidden tax. Always have been, always will be.

I found it fairly straightforward although it does have a lot of detail. The key is the change from the 0% line which means the size of the bars above and below that line is illustrative. The black line, as you say, is the total change for each decile.

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 08:56 - Oct 27 with 810 viewshype313

it's just such insane politics, I can't understand why they are pursuing this dogmatic approach, which in the grand scheme of things is peanuts. Especially given how they said " we’re in the midst of a pandemic, we’ll support you”

They will inevitably U -Turn this week, but it will be all so unnecessary and yet again make themselves look like the incompetent chancers they are.

Jonathan Pie hit the nail on the head here.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 09:03 - Oct 27 with 803 viewsMullet

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 22:50 - Oct 27 with 669 viewsBlueBadger

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 09:03 - Oct 27 by Mullet

It comes as no surprise to me to find out that you think that Jesus looks like Roy Keane Mullers.

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 23:06 - Oct 27 with 650 viewsjaykay

i always love those who say you can feed a family off 4 on 30 quid a week. have never had to that .

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 23:42 - Oct 27 with 629 viewsHARRY10

An important reminder of why school kids are hungry in the first place on 23:06 - Oct 27 by jaykay

i always love those who say you can feed a family off 4 on 30 quid a week. have never had to that .

If it is only food

No money to replace worn out appliances, utensils or other sundries

No cost allowed for cooking and heating either
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024