Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mental Health and the Return of Football 12:25 - Oct 28 with 1219 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

I have found this forum a great comfort over the years on some of the tougher issues in life surprisingly and was interested to see whether people believe football carrying on is a positive or negative towards mental health in current times.

By impact I don't mean that bloody spinning buffering wheel when ifollow dosen't work.

In a positive sense it is good to have something to talk/moan about again and keep me engaged but by parking myself on the sofa over the weekend watching football, I now find the week blurs into a constant cycle of working in the week then sofa time on the weekend.

Prior to lockdown, the football would be the highlight of Saturday in which going out, seeing family, watch game together, then pub after would give me teh desired impetus to be really productive on the Sunday - whether thats DIY, exercise or getting out and about. If it was a far flung away game, then football didn't even come into thought really.

However, now I find both Saturday and Sunday committed to watching football on the TV with little motivation to do anything else prior to starting the Monday-Friday grind.

Any tips on self-motivation during lockdown (or restricted tiers)?

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 12:41 - Oct 28 with 1172 viewsmojo

I have always found the clocks going back to be the most depressing time of year, the onset of winter if you will. In recent weeks I have found my mood has dropped a little, my diet has deteriorated, it is difficult to keep self motivated, this year more than ever. No winter holiday to look forward to, unable to do my usual voluntary work.

This week I have signed up for a few exercise classes. I know that does me good, and I instantly feel better about myself. I am meeting a friend tonight for food that I haven't seen in ages. Little things and it doesn't have to be a big expense.

It is just about structure, getting into a routine, connecting with people on any level, making sure you eating healthy etc and sticking to it. It sounds like you have all the answers already, it is just about putting it into practise and sticking to it.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2020 12:42]
Mental Health and the Return of Football on 12:49 - Oct 28 with 1143 viewsgiant_stow

I don't do the watching football but in your post, but do get what you're saying about the daily grind / cycle of work / sleep tricky, without much else to break it up.

Haven't really got any tips other than taking small wins / pleasure in completing small work tasks and getting the to do list ticked off. I guess I'm saying I'm seeking solace in the fact I have work and am able to function / support the family. Keep that ticking over in preparation for the better times.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 13:04 - Oct 28 with 1108 viewsitfcpaul

Being in a Tier 3 area (South Yorkshire) does make this even more difficult for us all, my lovely wife suffers with extremely difficult mental health issues is finding this a terrible time of year along with the additional Tier 3 limitations of basically not seeing anyone else other than me and my daughter! Doesn't help when we watch a performance like last nights to be honest, but it's better than not seeing it at all, but on another point, not a lot for the 4 season tickets we have in an expensive area of the ground (due to her disabilities).

it gets dark far too early and this then stops you doing those simple little exercise things you can do in the warm rea time sunshine, as it's certainly far too cold up north for doing things like that now.

Life is a great struggle generally for everyone and I really hope everyone gets through it unscathed or with as little difficulty as possible, if anyone is struggling and need someone to listen, vent off at and just generally rant at then please message me, I have had many years of playing the listening and supporting role for my wife throughout her illness over the past 6 years.

it's just an offer if anyone wants someone independent/someone they don't know to talk to as sometimes it helps, please if you don't feel like you can talk to me then at least talk to someone else, it's really important, keeping things to yourself doesn't work, it is the worst thing you can do

The offer is there anyway......

lets hope there is an upturn in football entertainment for this team of ours, yes the results seem to be OK but the performances aren't anything to get excited about, maybe when the injuries clear up (if ever) we may see some of the excitement we need to brighten up our days....

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 13:15 - Oct 28 with 1079 viewsCornishMariner

Last year I struggled over winter so this year I have made a real effort to do something healthy in the mornings. I have been getting up with the sunrise and either going for a walk or run. The football is used as a marker - get plenty done by 2.30 and then I can relax for the rest of the day. The games might not always be great but they are an escape for a few hours.

I appreciate not everyone can or wants to do exercise but it gets me out. On the walks, I take my camera which helps to focus on the nature around us, something which is free and not currently suffering from a pandemic.

I often have to work/shop on Sundays in preparation for the rest of the week, so Saturday is crucial. I think the key is to create a new kind of routine. Good luck and lets hope we soon back to Portman Road.

Poll: Between now and the new season will you mostly be ....

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 13:37 - Oct 28 with 1037 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 13:15 - Oct 28 by CornishMariner

Last year I struggled over winter so this year I have made a real effort to do something healthy in the mornings. I have been getting up with the sunrise and either going for a walk or run. The football is used as a marker - get plenty done by 2.30 and then I can relax for the rest of the day. The games might not always be great but they are an escape for a few hours.

I appreciate not everyone can or wants to do exercise but it gets me out. On the walks, I take my camera which helps to focus on the nature around us, something which is free and not currently suffering from a pandemic.

I often have to work/shop on Sundays in preparation for the rest of the week, so Saturday is crucial. I think the key is to create a new kind of routine. Good luck and lets hope we soon back to Portman Road.

Great idea on the 2:30 marker as a reward for productivity. I may set myself some tasks for the morning with the aim of being able to sit and enjoy the football when finished.

I think the above comments on time of year are having a far bigger impact than I anticipated, the dark evenings certainly reduce motivation to go out and exercise etc

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 13:57 - Oct 28 with 1011 viewsportmanroadblue

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 13:37 - Oct 28 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

Great idea on the 2:30 marker as a reward for productivity. I may set myself some tasks for the morning with the aim of being able to sit and enjoy the football when finished.

I think the above comments on time of year are having a far bigger impact than I anticipated, the dark evenings certainly reduce motivation to go out and exercise etc

Play golf :-)
Mental Health and the Return of Football on 14:12 - Oct 28 with 994 viewsfactual_blue

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 13:57 - Oct 28 by portmanroadblue

Play golf :-)

..an activity that will also allow you indulge in unpunished and blatant racism...

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 17:35 - Oct 28 with 922 viewsJ2BLUE

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 12:41 - Oct 28 by mojo

I have always found the clocks going back to be the most depressing time of year, the onset of winter if you will. In recent weeks I have found my mood has dropped a little, my diet has deteriorated, it is difficult to keep self motivated, this year more than ever. No winter holiday to look forward to, unable to do my usual voluntary work.

This week I have signed up for a few exercise classes. I know that does me good, and I instantly feel better about myself. I am meeting a friend tonight for food that I haven't seen in ages. Little things and it doesn't have to be a big expense.

It is just about structure, getting into a routine, connecting with people on any level, making sure you eating healthy etc and sticking to it. It sounds like you have all the answers already, it is just about putting it into practise and sticking to it.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2020 12:42]

A couple of weeks ago I posted how I love this time of year and I really do, but my mood has changed in the last week or so. This is too different from normality.

Things have got a lot worse very quickly with the covid cases and it's becoming increasingly obvious it's going to be a long dark winter without Christmas and the usual things to break it up.

This really resonated: 'In recent weeks I have found my mood has dropped a little, my diet has deteriorated, it is difficult to keep self motivated'. I'm finding the exact same. My mood is generally a lot lower. I find myself putting things off that need to be done to sit watching the warm and familiar tv reruns i've seen hundreds of times.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 17:43 - Oct 28 with 911 viewsChrisd

Get yourself out in the fresh air for a walk or other forms of exercise especially if you can do it early in the day. Gives a sense of achievement and seems to provide that motivation to then encourage you to do those jobs that are less than inspiring.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 17:49 - Oct 28 with 904 viewshappybeingblue

personally i found that cancelling sky all of it i mainly had it for footy was good for me,you can get your footy fix from motd and quest hd if you buy a freesat box,then you are less likely to sit down etc if there is no reason to as no footy,tough at first but you can honestly live without sky football radio 5 talksport etc is great for talk anyway if you need to wean off slowly :) you save £ and are not investing in the big 6 prem money grab so its good all round for me and you just do other stuff.
lets be honest football now is pretty crap anyway without fans and the stupid var or constant diving,highlights are the way to go .
good luck anyway
walking is great if you are not big into exercise gyms etc
Mental Health and the Return of Football on 17:52 - Oct 28 with 899 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think whoever was asking about lower league games accepting fans was on to a good thing. Give the stream a miss and go and find a local team to watch. Breaks up the boredom and is a new experience.

Learning something new would be another good option. It could be anything just to get out of the mundane slump. Learn an instrument, or a language, of tapestry if it helps! Learning anything from scratch gives you a real boost.

I know exactly how you feel though. I've drawn into myself, which isn't good. I thought I'd have this sorted as I'm quite happy on my own, but I'm missing the social interaction even if I find most people to be bellends :). I need to start meeting up with people again, even if it's just for a socially distanced coffee with a work colleague.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 18:16 - Oct 28 with 882 viewshappybeingblue

music is great therapy try listening to genres or bands/ singers you have never heard before,i discovered so much music from bands i never thought id like from way back era during lockdown to current sounds now,my word does it open your mind as well which is positive thinking, i think getting covid overload from the tv is not a good idea for peoples wellbeing either. jools holland show is very good on fri eve :)
football is a great talking point as long as it doesnt go to far, i reject all forms of hate personally,thats good for my state of mind in these crazy times .
Mental Health and the Return of Football on 18:50 - Oct 28 with 827 viewsbluelagos

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 17:49 - Oct 28 by happybeingblue

personally i found that cancelling sky all of it i mainly had it for footy was good for me,you can get your footy fix from motd and quest hd if you buy a freesat box,then you are less likely to sit down etc if there is no reason to as no footy,tough at first but you can honestly live without sky football radio 5 talksport etc is great for talk anyway if you need to wean off slowly :) you save £ and are not investing in the big 6 prem money grab so its good all round for me and you just do other stuff.
lets be honest football now is pretty crap anyway without fans and the stupid var or constant diving,highlights are the way to go .
good luck anyway
walking is great if you are not big into exercise gyms etc

This, with spades on it.

Get outside, even if it's just a 15 minute brisk walk, it does you the power of good.

For those in towns/cities I'd defo find a park and enjoy the colours that are all around us :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Mental Health and the Return of Football on 20:48 - Oct 28 with 795 viewsjontysnut

Somewhat bizarrely the non league side I usually watch is categorised as elite sport so no fans allowed - they only get 300 at the best of times. I've gone to (even) lower league games. Give or take some restrictions at the bar it's almost like normal life. A beer, a chat, shouting at the ref. Some new grounds, new places. The match and result are secondary.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024