Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? 09:08 - Oct 29 with 3757 viewsurbanblue

Following on from Badger's post yesterday, and with Halloween coming up has there been a film that you have found really scary? I don't mean horror or gore but frightening.

For me it has to be ... at the time ... 'The Exorcist'. Brilliant film that I found genuinely frightening and left me with a feeling of dread and impending doom for days afterwards.

Honorable mention for 'Rosemary's Baby'. The mood of that one was chilling.

I don't watch a lot of Horror but recently watched 'Hereditary' after reading good reviews. Definitively has it's moments.

Oh, and let me get 'Ipswich Town FC Season 18/19 review' out of the way now. I'm sure we have all had nightmares over that one!

[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 9:22]
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:20 - Oct 29 with 2335 viewsdavblue

I hate horror films but I watched Joe Dante’s the hole, my Mrs didn’t sleep very well that night as she was was scared of it, I wasn’t a huge fan either was pretty creepy and only 15 if I recall correctly.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:21 - Oct 29 with 2332 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Captain Scarlet gave me nightmares as a kid.

The original Village of the Damned,
The Omega Man (Charlton Heston)
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (Donald Sutherland),
Psycho.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:23 - Oct 29 with 2316 viewsurbanblue

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:21 - Oct 29 by StochesStotasBlewe

Captain Scarlet gave me nightmares as a kid.

The original Village of the Damned,
The Omega Man (Charlton Heston)
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (Donald Sutherland),
Psycho.

Good call, The Omega Man ... What a great film that is.
I watched "The Entity"..... on 09:31 - Oct 29 with 2313 viewsBloots

....when I was a lot younger, it really got me.

Haven't seen it since, possibly due to some sort of suppressed unconscious fear, but probably just because it hasn't been on the box.

On the opposite end of the scale, I went to see "The Blair Witch Project" on Halloween.

There had been so much hype around it that I was expecting something special.......it was about as scary as Carry On Camping.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

I watched "The Entity"..... on 09:34 - Oct 29 with 2293 viewsblueislander

I watched "The Entity"..... on 09:31 - Oct 29 by Bloots

....when I was a lot younger, it really got me.

Haven't seen it since, possibly due to some sort of suppressed unconscious fear, but probably just because it hasn't been on the box.

On the opposite end of the scale, I went to see "The Blair Witch Project" on Halloween.

There had been so much hype around it that I was expecting something special.......it was about as scary as Carry On Camping.

Don’t Look Now. Also one of the best films I have ever seen.
My old man.... on 09:40 - Oct 29 with 2274 viewsBloots

I watched "The Entity"..... on 09:34 - Oct 29 by blueislander

Don’t Look Now. Also one of the best films I have ever seen.

....had a thing for Julie Christie.

(can't blame him really)

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:41 - Oct 29 with 2270 viewsMookamoo

Wicker Man. The Edward Woodwardward one.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:41 - Oct 29 with 2269 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:23 - Oct 29 by urbanblue

Good call, The Omega Man ... What a great film that is.

Indeed.
Prefer these original 60's/70's versions than the subsequent remakes.
Watched The Shining a few months back, that gave me the willys too.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Login to get fewer ads

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:43 - Oct 29 with 2267 viewsfactual_blue

I'd say the Exorcist too. Fear heightened by coming out of the cinema into the thickest fog I could remember, and almost literally feeling my way home. To an empty house (housemates had both gone away for the weekend). I remember waking up screaming.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:43 - Oct 29 with 2262 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:41 - Oct 29 by Mookamoo

Wicker Man. The Edward Woodwardward one.

Good movie, Christopher LeeLee was great in that.

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:48 - Oct 29 with 2248 viewsSuperblue95

Sinister is the only film I’ve ever seen that’s genuinely freaked me out a bit. It’ll genuinely keep you on edge for almost the entirety of the film.

I’m good with horrors, rarely jump but this film is different level stuff

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:50 - Oct 29 with 2242 viewsm14_blue

I watched The Shining far too young.

Not sure if I would still find it so terrifying as an adult as I’ve never gone back.

We’re all afraid of the dark inside ourselves.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:59 - Oct 29 with 2216 viewsandytown

The Haunting, the old B&W version not the new one with Catherine Zeta-Jones.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:00 - Oct 29 with 2213 viewsOldsmoker

Marathon Man, which I thought was about running but turned out to be about torture.
I hated going to the dentist and the sound of a dentist drill.
The twist in the middle of the film where that effin drill starts up again made me and the rest of the cinema audience shout and groan at the screen.
That film gave me nightmares.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 10:01]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:02 - Oct 29 with 2201 viewsfooters

I didn't have a bath for about a week after watching the Ghostbusters one where pink goo comes out of the taps.

Then again I was also afraid of bridges at that age.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:04 - Oct 29 with 2192 viewsWeWereZombies

'Wolf Creek', mainly because I love travel and especially the low budget backpacking end of that pursuit. So a film about someone who predates on us freedom and nature loving types is bad enough but you could also see it as a metaphor for the way that humanity is going and opportunities lost.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:04 - Oct 29 with 2191 viewsusm

Friday the 13th

Scared the bejesus out of me at the time

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:06 - Oct 29 with 2170 viewshype313

Exorcist was the one that got me.

Also watched Pet Semetary and Children of the Corn far too young which wasn't ideal.

Can't stand Clowns so IT wasn't the best viewing for me.

I remember watching the Birds with my mother once, she said it was the most scariest film she had seen and I couldn't help but laugh through it, more to do with the outdated or non existent CGI.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:16 - Oct 29 with 2138 viewsericclacton

God you made me jump.

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:19 - Oct 29 with 2129 viewsGunnsAirkick

The Exorcist is still scary now, it's timeless.

The most disturbing films I've seen in a 'gory' sense are Maniac (1980) and A Cat in the Brain (1990), they really leave you wanting a shower afterwards!

One that really got under my skin in a 'spooky' way is Paranormal Activity (2007). I watched it, then realised in bed that the blue light from our radio alarm clock and hum of the boiler sounded exactly like the bloody film. We had one of those crappy flimsy fabric wardrobes back then, which the cat jumped on and knocked over. making a huge crashing sound. I jumped halfway across the room! I haven't seen any of the sequels as I'd assume they're rubbish, but the original is a good creepy found footage film.

Films that don't scare me so much now but did when I was younger are The Shining (1980), Mrs. Grady in the bath used to scare the crap out of me. Poltergeist was a family favourite and used to give me nightmares. As someone else mentioned the original IT miniseries terrified me and most of my friends. The infamous Ghost Watch (TV 1992) left me and my Dad literally shaking after we watched it, obviously when you re-watch it you're in on the joke, but the first time live was something else.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 11:03]
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:20 - Oct 29 with 2121 viewsGunnsAirkick

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 09:59 - Oct 29 by andytown

The Haunting, the old B&W version not the new one with Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Good shout, again still scary now.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:28 - Oct 29 with 2102 viewsPJH

Certainly 'The Exorcist'.

Watched it in Ipswich when it first came out with a group of mates and when it finished the whole audience seemed to be in a stunned silence.

It has had chunks of it copied and copied again since but when it came out I had seen nothing like it before and no film has got into my head like that either before or since.

Use any words you want, shocking, stunning, terrifying.... they all applied and still apply in my head regarding that film.
What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:33 - Oct 29 with 2077 viewshype313

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:19 - Oct 29 by GunnsAirkick

The Exorcist is still scary now, it's timeless.

The most disturbing films I've seen in a 'gory' sense are Maniac (1980) and A Cat in the Brain (1990), they really leave you wanting a shower afterwards!

One that really got under my skin in a 'spooky' way is Paranormal Activity (2007). I watched it, then realised in bed that the blue light from our radio alarm clock and hum of the boiler sounded exactly like the bloody film. We had one of those crappy flimsy fabric wardrobes back then, which the cat jumped on and knocked over. making a huge crashing sound. I jumped halfway across the room! I haven't seen any of the sequels as I'd assume they're rubbish, but the original is a good creepy found footage film.

Films that don't scare me so much now but did when I was younger are The Shining (1980), Mrs. Grady in the bath used to scare the crap out of me. Poltergeist was a family favourite and used to give me nightmares. As someone else mentioned the original IT miniseries terrified me and most of my friends. The infamous Ghost Watch (TV 1992) left me and my Dad literally shaking after we watched it, obviously when you re-watch it you're in on the joke, but the first time live was something else.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 11:03]

Ha Ghost Watch, that was incredible at the time, me and my sister were freaked out.

That's probably where Derek Acora and Yvette Fielding started stealing a living from.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Seeing a few comments for least scary film... on 10:44 - Oct 29 with 2054 viewsWeWereZombies

I didn't go to the cinema to see 'The Exorcist' when it was first released because friends told me it was a waste of time and it seemed hyped up. When I did finally watch it on television many years later I did indeed think 'meh', but I am still annoyed when people say 'Tubular Bells' is scary music because of that film and I find the piece warm and evocative of a good trip to the seaside. Also did see 'The Blair Witch Project' shortly after it came out and not only was it weak but is was also a lot less scary than Tony Blair became.

But these things are subjective and at the age of ten and eleven my mum had no compunction about us watching 'The Tingler' whenever it was on telly, put the wind up us all - scores 6.7 on IMDB...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053363/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

'Dr. Warren Chapin (Vincent Price) is a pathologist who regularly conducts autopsies on executed prisoners at the State prison...Using LSD to induce nightmares, he begins his experiment.'
[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 10:52]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

What's the scariest film you've ever seen? on 10:47 - Oct 29 with 2043 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Rec was very good. I think because it was Spanish and you had to be really watching to read the subtitles, you couldn't look away.

Not really a horror, but that scene in Audition stayed with me for a long time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024