Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
R I P Robert Fisk 09:20 - Nov 2 with 646 viewsWeWereZombies

One of the most reliable and informative journalists I have read

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-54774539

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

R I P Robert Fisk on 09:25 - Nov 2 with 627 viewsEwan_Oozami

Fantastic journalist and autrhor - proved right numerous times concerning the follies of Western interventions in the Middle East - a great loss..

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

R I P Robert Fisk on 09:27 - Nov 2 with 626 viewsSteve_M

Reliable? He spent the last decade of his life cheerleading for Assad and denying the use of chemical weapons.

I thought Pity the Nation - on Lebanon - was really good when I first read it but there have to be doubts about that too given his later work.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

R I P Robert Fisk on 09:29 - Nov 2 with 612 viewsEwan_Oozami

R I P Robert Fisk on 09:27 - Nov 2 by Steve_M

Reliable? He spent the last decade of his life cheerleading for Assad and denying the use of chemical weapons.

I thought Pity the Nation - on Lebanon - was really good when I first read it but there have to be doubts about that too given his later work.

Think he went a bit native towards the end of his career to be honest..

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

R I P Robert Fisk on 09:48 - Nov 2 with 577 viewsWeWereZombies

R I P Robert Fisk on 09:27 - Nov 2 by Steve_M

I finally got round to watching Stephen Sackur's HARDtalk interview with Richard Haass last night, an interesting watch. The complexity of the war in Syria and the ever changing allegiances of the current, and to some extent the previous, incumbent of the office of President of the United States has made Assad look better than he is. And I think that is more or less the conclusion that Robert Fisk also reached in this article from last year:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/douma-syria-opcw-chemical-weapons-chlorine-

IF you do not have time to read the whole article may I direct you to the penultimate paragraph containing this:

'Just because the OPCW took the extraordinary decision to cover up some of its evidence in Douma does not mean that gas has not been used in Syria by the government or even by the Russians or by Isis and its fellow Islamists. Undoubtedly it has. All stand guilty of war crimes in the Syrian conflict. The OPCW’s dishonesty — for that is what it amounts to — does not let war criminals off the hook.'

R I P Robert Fisk on 12:10 - Nov 2 with 517 viewsreusersfreekicks

His early work is oustanding
R I P Robert Fisk on 13:28 - Nov 2 with 494 viewsEireannach_gorm

I like this quote of his.

"After the allied victory of 1918, at the end of my father's war, the victors divided up the lands of their former enemies. In the space of just seventeen months, they created the borders of Northern Ireland, Yugoslavia and most of the Middle East. And I have spent my entire career–in Belfast and Sarajevo, in Beirut and Baghdad–watching the people within those borders burn."[
R I P Robert Fisk on 13:54 - Nov 2 with 474 viewsRyorry

A real blast from the past.

Reading everythinng said about him in this thread, plus this quote about him from J. Bowen in the BBC link -

"Fisk could be obsessive. He collected bits of shrapnel, often American made and fired by Israel, so he could use serial numbers to trace their origins."

- what shines through about him is his preparedness to be independent and original - real old school journalism that's pretty rare these days.

R.I.P.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2020 13:56]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

R I P Robert Fisk on 14:11 - Nov 2 with 470 viewsSteve_M

R I P Robert Fisk on 09:48 - Nov 2 by WeWereZombies

I finally got round to watching Stephen Sackur's HARDtalk interview with Richard Haass last night, an interesting watch. The complexity of the war in Syria and the ever changing allegiances of the current, and to some extent the previous, incumbent of the office of President of the United States has made Assad look better than he is. And I think that is more or less the conclusion that Robert Fisk also reached in this article from last year:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/douma-syria-opcw-chemical-weapons-chlorine-

IF you do not have time to read the whole article may I direct you to the penultimate paragraph containing this:

'Just because the OPCW took the extraordinary decision to cover up some of its evidence in Douma does not mean that gas has not been used in Syria by the government or even by the Russians or by Isis and its fellow Islamists. Undoubtedly it has. All stand guilty of war crimes in the Syrian conflict. The OPCW’s dishonesty — for that is what it amounts to — does not let war criminals off the hook.'

This 'cover up' is a Russian smear isn't it? It's been disproved and had the sole purpose of obscuring Assad's guilt. Whatever else Fisk did in his career the end of it was abysmal.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

R I P Robert Fisk on 15:35 - Nov 2 with 446 viewsWeWereZombies

R I P Robert Fisk on 14:11 - Nov 2 by Steve_M

This 'cover up' is a Russian smear isn't it? It's been disproved and had the sole purpose of obscuring Assad's guilt. Whatever else Fisk did in his career the end of it was abysmal.

I usually find your posts and links very informative Steve, but I think you are digging a bit of a hole for yourself on this one.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024