Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flu Jab 09:02 - Nov 3 with 2364 viewsSwailsey

Am I correct in thinking they have suspended getting one unless you are a key worker/have underlying health conditions?

I usually get one, because I caught flu 2 years in a row once.

I'm in (touch wood) pretty good health and will be working indoors for the foreseeable, so I appreciate I probably am low on the list and wouldn't want to take one away from someone who is more deserving, but does anyone else know if you can get one?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Flu Jab on 09:08 - Nov 3 with 2336 viewshype313

Morrisons are doing walk ins

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Flu Jab on 09:21 - Nov 3 with 2303 viewsMeadowlark

I understand the reasons why this is a good idea, and not saying you shouldn't get one, but if you are socially distancing, wearing a mask and washing your hands etc, shouldn't you be pretty safe? Apparently C19 is more infectious, so if these precautions are good enough for Covid they should also prevent you from getting flu, shouldn't they?
Flu Jab on 09:25 - Nov 3 with 2293 viewsWD19

They are in short supply. I have a voucher for one, but no chemist anywhere near me is expecting stock for weeks. Not even taking bookings.
Flu Jab on 09:52 - Nov 3 with 2234 viewsOldsmoker

I got my jab a few weeks back.
On the one hand "Yippee" but on the other, being considered as a high risk is not that comforting.
Swings and roundabouts.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Flu Jab on 10:05 - Nov 3 with 2207 viewslongtimefan

My Doctors has completed 65s and over, and is now working through those 18 to 64 with at risk conditions.
Flu Jab on 10:08 - Nov 3 with 2202 viewsWarkystache

Flu Jab on 10:05 - Nov 3 by longtimefan

My Doctors has completed 65s and over, and is now working through those 18 to 64 with at risk conditions.

Had mine at the start of October from Boots. Paid £14 for it.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Flu Jab on 10:12 - Nov 3 with 2193 viewsBloomBlue

I'm told you can still get one, but depending on your age and/or high risk category, as those will receive the flu jab first.

It seems some companies are doing them as walk-in / drive-thru for those outside of those two categories
I wasn't sure why you would do it as a drive-thru but apparently because you stay in the car and stick your arm out they can get more completed then having people enter a room as the room requires regular cleaning - well that was the explanation by the medical bod on LBC
Flu Jab on 10:16 - Nov 3 with 2186 viewsHARRY10

Drive thru

' a big mac and a small jab, please'
Login to get fewer ads

Flu Jab on 10:18 - Nov 3 with 2181 viewsOldsmoker

Flu Jab on 10:16 - Nov 3 by HARRY10

Drive thru

Do you want fries with that?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Flu Jab on 10:20 - Nov 3 with 2173 viewsBloomBlue

Flu Jab on 10:16 - Nov 3 by HARRY10

Drive thru

Isn't that normal after eating a McDonalds?
Flu Jab on 10:25 - Nov 3 with 2164 viewsHARRY10

Flu Jab on 10:12 - Nov 3 by BloomBlue

I'm told you can still get one, but depending on your age and/or high risk category, as those will receive the flu jab first.

It seems some companies are doing them as walk-in / drive-thru for those outside of those two categories
I wasn't sure why you would do it as a drive-thru but apparently because you stay in the car and stick your arm out they can get more completed then having people enter a room as the room requires regular cleaning - well that was the explanation by the medical bod on LBC

" you stay in the car and stick your arm out"

that's all well and good

but I’m not too sure if it would work for piles
Flu Jab on 10:33 - Nov 3 with 2153 viewsBloomBlue

Flu Jab on 10:25 - Nov 3 by HARRY10

that's all well and good

Are you sure you've not tried that at least once in your life ?
Flu Jab on 10:38 - Nov 3 with 2151 viewsDebsyAngel

Try Boots - you would have to wait in a long virtual queue, but this was my only option this year since my useless Doctors surgery and local chemist "were not doing them this year". The Doctors tried to get me to go to their sister surgery - about 4 miles away and would meant 4 bus journeys or 2 expensive taxi journeys. I was appalled at their attitude when it was known more people were going to get the jab this year.

I am also horrifed that my father, almost 80 and at a high risk, now has to wait till mid November for his at his surgery and I am hoping they are not going to cancel because of this latest lockdown.

If they have messed up the flu jabs so much this year and made it so hard for people, I dread to think what will happen once covid vaccines are here....
Flu Jab on 10:46 - Nov 3 with 2138 viewsBasuco

Flu Jab on 10:38 - Nov 3 by DebsyAngel

Try Boots - you would have to wait in a long virtual queue, but this was my only option this year since my useless Doctors surgery and local chemist "were not doing them this year". The Doctors tried to get me to go to their sister surgery - about 4 miles away and would meant 4 bus journeys or 2 expensive taxi journeys. I was appalled at their attitude when it was known more people were going to get the jab this year.

I am also horrifed that my father, almost 80 and at a high risk, now has to wait till mid November for his at his surgery and I am hoping they are not going to cancel because of this latest lockdown.

If they have messed up the flu jabs so much this year and made it so hard for people, I dread to think what will happen once covid vaccines are here....

The flu jab is not so much messed up but very very popular this year, although saying everyone over 50 should have one then not have enough is sort of messing up. I had mine at Boots it was only £14, good value in my mind.
Flu Jab on 10:52 - Nov 3 with 2125 viewsHARRY10

Flu Jab on 10:33 - Nov 3 by BloomBlue

Are you sure you've not tried that at least once in your life ?

not since someone thought it was me looking out of the window
Flu Jab on 11:01 - Nov 3 with 2122 viewsDebsyAngel

Flu Jab on 10:46 - Nov 3 by Basuco

The flu jab is not so much messed up but very very popular this year, although saying everyone over 50 should have one then not have enough is sort of messing up. I had mine at Boots it was only £14, good value in my mind.

I get mine free as have thyroid problems and asthma. Glad you got yours sorted.
Flu Jab on 11:13 - Nov 3 with 2102 viewsSwailsey

Thanks all, some good and valid points here.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Flu Jab on 11:25 - Nov 3 with 2089 viewsBasuco

Flu Jab on 11:01 - Nov 3 by DebsyAngel

I get mine free as have thyroid problems and asthma. Glad you got yours sorted.

As an over 60 I maybe should have held out for a free jab from my GP, but it was a quick simple book and pay for an appointment on line and then walk in on the day, wait 5 mins, jab and out. That is why on balance I thought it was worth it for my own peace of mind.
Flu Jab on 11:52 - Nov 3 with 2046 viewsfactual_blue

As others have said, there's pretty fierce prioritisation this year, certainly from GPs, particularly as everybody over 50 is being advised to have the jab because flu + covid is a cocktail to avoid

I think the priority is something like

key workers (NHS and emergency services)
over 65s and those with qualifying health conditions
children
over 50s
everybody else.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Flu Jab on 11:55 - Nov 3 with 2041 viewsMullet

Flu Jab on 11:52 - Nov 3 by factual_blue

As others have said, there's pretty fierce prioritisation this year, certainly from GPs, particularly as everybody over 50 is being advised to have the jab because flu + covid is a cocktail to avoid

I think the priority is something like

key workers (NHS and emergency services)
over 65s and those with qualifying health conditions
children
over 50s
everybody else.

We usually have ours paid for by work and then we opt in if we want one. This year they can't source them and we have been offered reimbursement which is nice of them. But it's impossible up here to get one so far.

I might try again when I'm well as I don't want to risk flu frankly!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Flu Jab on 11:56 - Nov 3 with 2035 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Flu Jab on 10:25 - Nov 3 by HARRY10

that's all well and good

I think Better Call Saul fans would call that a kind-of inverse Chicago Sunroof.
Flu Jab on 12:19 - Nov 3 with 1993 viewsRyorry

Flu Jab on 09:21 - Nov 3 by Meadowlark

I understand the reasons why this is a good idea, and not saying you shouldn't get one, but if you are socially distancing, wearing a mask and washing your hands etc, shouldn't you be pretty safe? Apparently C19 is more infectious, so if these precautions are good enough for Covid they should also prevent you from getting flu, shouldn't they?

I've caught 2 "ordinary" colds in the past 7 months despite being self-isolating all that time. One is mild, ongoing & probably caught from garage mechanic bending down to talk (no mask) to me thru open car window when new battery was being fitted.

The other there's no explan for - was doing all the 2m distancing, hand sanitising, mask-wearing on visits to medical clinics, surface wiping etc. I'm 99.9% certain it's due to 2m distancing not being enough when talking outside & the wind's blowing from other people towards you.

I had flu jab a week ago, the usual invite from GP surgery (age, health conditions) a bit later than usual - stocks are in short supply I believe.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Flu Jab on 13:13 - Nov 6 with 1791 viewsMeadowlark

Flu Jab on 12:19 - Nov 3 by Ryorry

I've caught 2 "ordinary" colds in the past 7 months despite being self-isolating all that time. One is mild, ongoing & probably caught from garage mechanic bending down to talk (no mask) to me thru open car window when new battery was being fitted.

The other there's no explan for - was doing all the 2m distancing, hand sanitising, mask-wearing on visits to medical clinics, surface wiping etc. I'm 99.9% certain it's due to 2m distancing not being enough when talking outside & the wind's blowing from other people towards you.

I had flu jab a week ago, the usual invite from GP surgery (age, health conditions) a bit later than usual - stocks are in short supply I believe.

Interesting. Thanks for that. It kind of implies that you could get C19 under similar circumstances, doesn't it?
Revisiting this thread as I just heard on the radio that flu cases should indeed be considerably fewer this year due to the measures being taken to prevent Covid infections.
Stay safe everyone.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024