Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... 21:36 - Nov 3 with 1527 viewsitfcjoe

....and whilst totally undeserved the record will still be there a s a big mental block for both fans and players.

Just gutted after that performance from the ref though - he just let so much go, let Sunderland get away with so much, so many fouls on Edwards and Bishop especially then pulls out a red card for that!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:39 - Nov 3 with 1428 viewsEireannach_gorm

Think you can exclude this one from the statistics, Joe. We looked to be in control even with 10 men and no sign that Sunderland bossed us after first 25 mins.
Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:40 - Nov 3 with 1412 viewsGarv

The red, the penalty, and even the way he seemed to be speaking to Lambert and Taylor after the whistle he seemed very keen to exert some authority.

The red card is one thing. The penalty is worse. Penalities are given far too frequently as it is and it's one of the reasons the elite game is becoming boring, and one given for that is just sad.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:40 - Nov 3 with 1409 viewshomer_123

Bar the first 30 mins...we can take something from that performance.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:41 - Nov 3 with 1378 viewsCoco

Now convinced there is curse on us. With the Norwich games too, everything seems to bizarrely go against and key moments and as you say leaves this mental block hanging over us.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:42 - Nov 3 with 1359 viewsFrimleyBlue

Thats the frustrating thing with having sht officials.

When you have players being taken down. Cards are needed.. this would then create more opportunites as hell stop getting to tight and diving in. The ref tonight let them do what ever they wanted.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:43 - Nov 3 with 1342 viewsitfcjoe

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:42 - Nov 3 by FrimleyBlue

Thats the frustrating thing with having sht officials.

When you have players being taken down. Cards are needed.. this would then create more opportunites as hell stop getting to tight and diving in. The ref tonight let them do what ever they wanted.

I had just tweeted before the red asking if ref had forgotten his cards - there were 3-4 nailed on bookings

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:45 - Nov 3 with 1301 viewsxrayspecs

Moral victory. After first twenty, we were the better side and more likely to win the game, until the ref intervened.
Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:45 - Nov 3 with 1303 viewsJDB23

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:40 - Nov 3 by Garv

The red, the penalty, and even the way he seemed to be speaking to Lambert and Taylor after the whistle he seemed very keen to exert some authority.

The red card is one thing. The penalty is worse. Penalities are given far too frequently as it is and it's one of the reasons the elite game is becoming boring, and one given for that is just sad.

Is that not the handball rule this season though? If your arm is away from your body and the ball hits it then its a pen.

We can argue if its a stupid rule or not but I think the ref just applied the law there.
Login to get fewer ads

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:47 - Nov 3 with 1282 viewsDyland

I don't agree in this instance, and I'm amazing myself saying this but the performance (after 35 minutes) and the scandalous refereeing performance has got me behind the team (and Lambert) like never before. For the time being of course, cos there's fook all credit in the bank still.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:48 - Nov 3 with 1248 viewsSomethingBlue

Agree re mental block but maybe it'll help if we stop going on about it. That was good tonight. Very slow first 25 but after that we ran it and, whether or not we'd have gone on to win, there'd have been a fair bit to enjoy. Despite some setbacks in recent weeks we do look consistent in our approach and certain players - Bishop in particular but also Lankester - look stronger as the games go by. Thought that was a monumental last hour from Teddy in particular. Hopefully we can pick up from that performance level in a couple of weeks.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:49 - Nov 3 with 1223 viewsitfcjoe

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:47 - Nov 3 by Dyland

I don't agree in this instance, and I'm amazing myself saying this but the performance (after 35 minutes) and the scandalous refereeing performance has got me behind the team (and Lambert) like never before. For the time being of course, cos there's fook all credit in the bank still.

But next time we come to play a top team, the performance of the referee tonight will be forgotten about and the record will be brought up

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:00 - Nov 3 with 1124 viewsm14_blue

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:45 - Nov 3 by JDB23

Is that not the handball rule this season though? If your arm is away from your body and the ball hits it then its a pen.

We can argue if its a stupid rule or not but I think the ref just applied the law there.

No, they’re meant to be lenient if the player can’t see the ball.

Agree the handball law needs looking at too though, it was designed to stop people gaining an advantage by using their hands. The ball was being cleared, moving away from goal, what possible advantage could there be for Ipswich there? Pathetic.
Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:01 - Nov 3 with 1113 viewsChurchman

We can make up every excuse on the planet, but the fact remains against the better teams: played 3 lost 3, points 0, goals for 2 against 7. What did we deserve from those games? Maybe 1 point tonight at best. We may scrape a playoff place and be able to play the role of plucky little underdogs, but in reality, a repeat of last season looks more likely to me sadly.
Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:05 - Nov 3 with 1058 viewsEireannach_gorm

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:00 - Nov 3 by m14_blue

No, they’re meant to be lenient if the player can’t see the ball.

Agree the handball law needs looking at too though, it was designed to stop people gaining an advantage by using their hands. The ball was being cleared, moving away from goal, what possible advantage could there be for Ipswich there? Pathetic.

It was actually a disadvantage because it redirected the ball to a Sunderland player and allowed a shot on goal ( which hit the bar ).
Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:05 - Nov 3 with 1059 viewsDyland

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:49 - Nov 3 by itfcjoe

But next time we come to play a top team, the performance of the referee tonight will be forgotten about and the record will be brought up

Aye I get that, and points and against who are all that counts at the end of the day, but just for now and I guess until we play another top team and how we perform then, I've got my COYFB passion back. So kind of thanks ref, for that at least. Footy eh. Certainly, if we perform like we did against Donny or Imps the next time out against a better side (or Crewe for that matter), the benefit of the doubt is so tenuous now I'll be right back where I was before the game tonight.

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:08 - Nov 3 with 1054 viewsDyland

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:01 - Nov 3 by Churchman

We can make up every excuse on the planet, but the fact remains against the better teams: played 3 lost 3, points 0, goals for 2 against 7. What did we deserve from those games? Maybe 1 point tonight at best. We may scrape a playoff place and be able to play the role of plucky little underdogs, but in reality, a repeat of last season looks more likely to me sadly.

"What did we deserve from those games? Maybe 1 point tonight at best."

I'm a massive Lambert outer but that's not right about tonight. A point or three. "A point at best" is really spinning it.

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:09 - Nov 3 with 1038 viewspointofblue

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:08 - Nov 3 by Dyland

I'm a massive Lambert outer but that's not right about tonight. A point or three. "A point at best" is really spinning it.

I think he means Doncaster, Lincoln and Sunderland - we deserved a point atbest from those three which is perhaps fair enough. We didn't create enough tonight despite playing better. I suppose you could argue we should have got a point at Lincoln too but that's stretching it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:11 - Nov 3 with 1023 viewsChurchman

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:08 - Nov 3 by Dyland

Yes, I meant the big boys of Donny, Lincoln and Sunderland, but you are probably right re tonight. I’m just severely hacked off.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2020 22:14]
Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:12 - Nov 3 with 1004 viewsDarth_Koont

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:39 - Nov 3 by Eireannach_gorm

Think you can exclude this one from the statistics, Joe. We looked to be in control even with 10 men and no sign that Sunderland bossed us after first 25 mins.

Indeed.

We’ve got away with poor performances in the past and come away with three points. Tonight was karma perhaps but not a continuation of that record in any meaningful sense.

And I’m actually thinking that we’ve needed more injustice to get us going. We’ve won easily and lost easily far too much over the past couple of years.

Pronouns: He/Him

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:13 - Nov 3 with 1009 viewsdavblue

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:48 - Nov 3 by SomethingBlue

Agree re mental block but maybe it'll help if we stop going on about it. That was good tonight. Very slow first 25 but after that we ran it and, whether or not we'd have gone on to win, there'd have been a fair bit to enjoy. Despite some setbacks in recent weeks we do look consistent in our approach and certain players - Bishop in particular but also Lankester - look stronger as the games go by. Thought that was a monumental last hour from Teddy in particular. Hopefully we can pick up from that performance level in a couple of weeks.

final 3rd is a massive concern still it's been a theme throughout Lambert's reign were we don't create much and are having good moments to win a game.

Need to be quicker in and around the box to open teams up more.
Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:19 - Nov 3 with 948 viewsSomethingBlue

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:13 - Nov 3 by davblue

final 3rd is a massive concern still it's been a theme throughout Lambert's reign were we don't create much and are having good moments to win a game.

Need to be quicker in and around the box to open teams up more.

We do. I thought Jackson looked good once the team as a whole perked up though, and presumably we'll be closer to getting others back by the time we next play in the league. With Bishop and Lankester getting better & better there's room for cautious excitement about what we can do when our strikers are fit, I think.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:21 - Nov 3 with 912 viewsDarth_Koont

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:48 - Nov 3 by SomethingBlue

Absolutely.

Maybe slightly attritional in terms of pure entertainment but thought we looked far better than Sunderland. Which is all you can do in a 1 v 1.

And you’re right re: Teddy. On top of him always being involved and doing the hard graft, he had moments when he broke free where he looked at least a league above everyone else.

Pronouns: He/Him

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:22 - Nov 3 with 896 viewsITFC_Forever

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:05 - Nov 3 by Eireannach_gorm

It was actually a disadvantage because it redirected the ball to a Sunderland player and allowed a shot on goal ( which hit the bar ).

I thought it hit the stanchion behind the goal and bounced straight back on to the pitch.

Edit: yes, it does hit the bar.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2020 22:23]

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 22:25 - Nov 3 with 872 viewsChrisd

Another failure to beat a top team added to the record.... on 21:49 - Nov 3 by itfcjoe

If we are having 1 shot on target that’s not going to win you many games Joe. This was an aspect of our play that you highlighted last season and rightly argued. To me, as each game goes by we’re creating less and less goal scoring opportunities or so it seems, passing the ball around a lot, but not really making the opposition keeper earn his money.

Naturally, our record will get brought up against the better sides in this league because it’s an extremely poor one. Yes the officiating didn’t help us tonight, but we didn’t do enough to win that game either when we’re on top and that’s why we keep coming up short.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2020 22:38]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024