Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A team really is more than the sum of its individuals 13:56 - Nov 4 with 858 viewsDarth_Koont

Not saying we’ve turned a corner yet but the current team and start is certainly looking a bit “cornery”.

Last season’s good start was down to individuals scoring at the right time as we rarely played that well. We look a lot better than last year - but amazingly that’s even missing the 5 players who were our best performers this time last year. We’ve done without Downes, Jackson, KVY, Garbutt and Woolfenden for most if not all of the games and still done pretty well.

It seems to have taken way too long for the penny to drop with Lambert that we need a formation and style that benefits the players and the stability/consistency and resulting confidence to settle into their roles. That’s what team building is and it’ll pay even more dividends when our better players get back into this set-up.

Last night was a kick in the teeth but I’m feeling much better about the medium to long term with this approach than I have done for at least a couple of seasons.

Pronouns: He/Him

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 14:44 - Nov 4 with 785 viewsmonty_radio

Agree with the general tenor of that, but systems still rely on on integrating working parts. On that score we need wingers who actually are wingers, not Judge, and probably not Freddie. And still a mobile forward who can hold it up and head it. Apart from a nascent Drinan our three candidates fail on one of those counts. It's good they we are sticking to a system, but personally I still think it's a system designed either for players we don't fully possess or we aren't using.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 14:51 - Nov 4 with 770 viewsHerbivore

I'm not really seeing it. We've been very patchy this season and it's been similar to our good start last year where we've beaten mostly poor sides through having that bit more quality and producing a decent spell in a match. We've been poor at times, as poor as in our poor runs last season. I'm not optimistic for the season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 15:00 - Nov 4 with 759 viewsDarth_Koont

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 14:44 - Nov 4 by monty_radio

Agree with the general tenor of that, but systems still rely on on integrating working parts. On that score we need wingers who actually are wingers, not Judge, and probably not Freddie. And still a mobile forward who can hold it up and head it. Apart from a nascent Drinan our three candidates fail on one of those counts. It's good they we are sticking to a system, but personally I still think it's a system designed either for players we don't fully possess or we aren't using.

Definitely a few kinks that need ironing out and agree that shoehorning Sears and Judge in (despite them being hardworking) needs to be reconsidered based on neither having been that productive over the years.

I like Hawkins though and would like to see him be used better and get more support before we discard him. I think he gives us more shape and more of a platform than say Norwood or indeed trying to make Jackson into the central striker.

IMO a front three of Edwards, Hawkins and Jackson would be something to work with. Because despite getting the team working better we’re really talking about the midfield at the moment and we still haven’t got the attack firing or a consistent cutting edge.

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 15:05 - Nov 4 with 748 viewsDarth_Koont

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 14:51 - Nov 4 by Herbivore

I'm not really seeing it. We've been very patchy this season and it's been similar to our good start last year where we've beaten mostly poor sides through having that bit more quality and producing a decent spell in a match. We've been poor at times, as poor as in our poor runs last season. I'm not optimistic for the season.

I thought we were much streakier in the good run of results last year. But I thought that was a good sign as we’d eventually settle on a team selection, formation and style. None of that ever came.

This time around you can see much more what we’re trying to do and it’s helping the players. Still work to do but a lot more serious of an approach it seems.

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 15:09 - Nov 4 with 736 viewstractorboy1978

The concern for me is that if we don't go up, this team gets decimated and we are building from scratch again.
A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 15:16 - Nov 4 with 728 viewsitfcjoe

I agree, but the issue is there will be bumps in the road and the manager doesn't have enough credit in the bank to ride them out with the fans.

And also, we are sh*t or bust this year, and need to go up - but are trying to implement something which isn't ideal

This is where we should have been last year though, and Lambert incredibly fortunate to get another go at it - but we are at 2 points per game currently which will see us promoted if we continue it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 15:20 - Nov 4 with 719 viewsDarth_Koont

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 15:09 - Nov 4 by tractorboy1978

The concern for me is that if we don't go up, this team gets decimated and we are building from scratch again.

I think you’re right in terms of losing a couple of our very best players. I think we dodged that in the summer because Covid made the market so depressed for players at our level that there was no real business to do. But I can see next summer being tough unless we go up.

But given we’re missing so many of our best players already that’s another benefit of the team approach. There’s a structure for new players to come into.

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 15:23 - Nov 4 with 708 viewsDarth_Koont

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 15:16 - Nov 4 by itfcjoe

I agree, but the issue is there will be bumps in the road and the manager doesn't have enough credit in the bank to ride them out with the fans.

And also, we are sh*t or bust this year, and need to go up - but are trying to implement something which isn't ideal

This is where we should have been last year though, and Lambert incredibly fortunate to get another go at it - but we are at 2 points per game currently which will see us promoted if we continue it

Agreed. We’ve wasted a year at least given most of this was obvious and most of the players were already here.

I gave Lambert this first couple of months despite him not deserving it. He’s done enough of the right things but if he slips back into his old ways then, as you say, there’s just no credit in the bank.

Login to get fewer ads

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 15:31 - Nov 4 with 674 viewsmonty_radio

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 15:00 - Nov 4 by Darth_Koont

Definitely a few kinks that need ironing out and agree that shoehorning Sears and Judge in (despite them being hardworking) needs to be reconsidered based on neither having been that productive over the years.

I like Hawkins though and would like to see him be used better and get more support before we discard him. I think he gives us more shape and more of a platform than say Norwood or indeed trying to make Jackson into the central striker.

IMO a front three of Edwards, Hawkins and Jackson would be something to work with. Because despite getting the team working better we’re really talking about the midfield at the moment and we still haven’t got the attack firing or a consistent cutting edge.

I like that front three, but doubt P.L. would back down on it unless both Hawkins and Jackson were thrown together when we were chasing a game and it turned out a resounding success.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 15:59 - Nov 4 with 634 viewsChrisd

I was more hopeful at the beginning of the season, but as the matches have progressed we've slowly reverted to type ala last season. There's too many traits from that side from last year, which just hasn't improved: endless possession, but not really doing much with it, incessant passing; going nowhere, passing in areas of the pitch that aren't going to hurt teams, lacking pace, our striker is isolated because we haven't got a CM that gets up there and beyond to support and the lack of shots on goal continues to be a concern - If anything we're becoming more shot-shy as each game passes. Regardless of the poor decisions last night, 1 shot on target isn't going to win too games, especially against the better sides in this league. Nevertheless, It's encouraging that more of our younger players are getting regular game time and are more involved, but it's now time that AJ and FS are left out of the starting XI as we've got better options on the bench IMO. These two continually get selected, but I'm still scratching my head in what they actually bring to the team? They both get chance, after chance and often flatter to deceive. So in summing up, at the beginning of this campaign I was more optimistic and was hoping PL had learnt from past mistakes, but based on the evidence of these 10 league games, we'll struggle to make the top 6 because of our continued poor record against the better sides.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2020 16:09]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 16:13 - Nov 4 with 603 viewstractorboy1978

A team really is more than the sum of its individuals on 15:20 - Nov 4 by Darth_Koont

I think you’re right in terms of losing a couple of our very best players. I think we dodged that in the summer because Covid made the market so depressed for players at our level that there was no real business to do. But I can see next summer being tough unless we go up.

But given we’re missing so many of our best players already that’s another benefit of the team approach. There’s a structure for new players to come into.

You'd expect Downes and Woolfy to go.

And then Dozzell, Edwards, Ward, Chambers, Huws, Nsiala, Wilson are out of contract.

Bishop/Jackson/Judge/Sears we have a +1 option on but I believe if we trigger that option they come into salary cap calculations at their actual wage rather than the average.

So it'd be huge upheaval potentially.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024