Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just an update on where we are on Brexit here 09:05 - Nov 6 with 2069 viewsSteve_M

At least one global clusterfuk being rectified this week but our very own one continues to head towards disaster in a few weeks time.

https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2020/11/while-we-are-waiting.html

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 09:13 - Nov 6 with 2037 viewsSwansea_Blue

He’s been excellent throughout. Although I take umbrage with this assertion “this week the International Trade Secretary, Liz Truss, appears to think”. In fairness, he then goes on the demonstrate how here actions show this isn’t the case!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 11:48 - Nov 6 with 1971 viewsOldsmoker

According to the ONS the UK fishing industry is 1.4bn and the horticulture industry 5.0bn as a contribution to GDP. The govt. seem to be fixating on fish but not the plants. Obviously we can create our own growers and do this for ourselves but not overnight - plants need time and land in which to grow.
If plants are halted at the borders they will shrivel and die without water.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/30/plant-inspectors-rising-prices-

Brexit is all about ideology and bears little relation to actual realities.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:03 - Nov 6 with 1947 viewsCrayonKing

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 11:48 - Nov 6 by Oldsmoker

According to the ONS the UK fishing industry is 1.4bn and the horticulture industry 5.0bn as a contribution to GDP. The govt. seem to be fixating on fish but not the plants. Obviously we can create our own growers and do this for ourselves but not overnight - plants need time and land in which to grow.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/30/plant-inspectors-rising-prices-

I think fishing is being picked as the red-line precisely *because* its not a big deal.

Its something the EU can fairly easily give-up in negotiations to let Boris look like he's negotiated a tough deal while agreeing to everything else.
Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:08 - Nov 6 with 1940 viewsclive_baker

This is my only regret about Trump getting beaten. For the last 4 years I've been able to console myself with the fact we're at least not the biggest basket case of a nation in the Western World, which now looks under threat.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:12 - Nov 6 with 1928 viewsSteve_M

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 11:48 - Nov 6 by Oldsmoker

There are so many sectors of the economy so much bigger than fishing - financial services and car manufacturing for a start.

Leaving the EU would have been disruptive but manageable with a coherent view of the strengths and weaknesses of the UK economy; with no plan and whilst still trying to pretend there are no real downsides it is disastrous.

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:12 - Nov 6 with 1928 viewsCrayonKing

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:08 - Nov 6 by clive_baker

This is my only regret about Trump getting beaten. For the last 4 years I've been able to console myself with the fact we're at least not the biggest basket case of a nation in the Western World, which now looks under threat.

There was a report a couple of weeks back that the govt were waiting on the US election result before deciding on deal v no-deal, because it would indicate which direction the world is heading in.

Hopefully we'll now end up with a relatively sane deal and can lose the basket-case status, but I won't hold my breath!
Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:19 - Nov 6 with 1913 viewsclive_baker

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:12 - Nov 6 by CrayonKing

There was a report a couple of weeks back that the govt were waiting on the US election result before deciding on deal v no-deal, because it would indicate which direction the world is heading in.

Hopefully we'll now end up with a relatively sane deal and can lose the basket-case status, but I won't hold my breath!

So much of the pre Brexit rhetoric was centred around a deal with the US to offset some of the EU trade, which now looks highly unlikely. I would make the EU more likely to secure a trade deal with US now than we are. It's no doubt weakened our hand at the negotiating table too, everyone around it knows we were relying on that with Trump to swing public sentiment more favourably to some degree.

The good news is, as you say, hopefully this means the need for an agreement with the EU is greater than ever or we really are up the creek. That relies on the government putting the good of the UK ahead of their egos though, so like you I won't be holding my breath.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:29 - Nov 6 with 1895 viewsCrayonKing

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:19 - Nov 6 by clive_baker

So much of the pre Brexit rhetoric was centred around a deal with the US to offset some of the EU trade, which now looks highly unlikely. I would make the EU more likely to secure a trade deal with US now than we are. It's no doubt weakened our hand at the negotiating table too, everyone around it knows we were relying on that with Trump to swing public sentiment more favourably to some degree.

The good news is, as you say, hopefully this means the need for an agreement with the EU is greater than ever or we really are up the creek. That relies on the government putting the good of the UK ahead of their egos though, so like you I won't be holding my breath.

That’s where fishing comes in. “Boris saves uk fishing industry!” With pics of him on a fishing boat, union jacks in full-flow, waving blue passports etc. Meanwhile the grown-ups get on with fixing the more-important stuff.

Maybe...
Login to get fewer ads

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:48 - Nov 6 with 1880 viewsOldsmoker

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:12 - Nov 6 by CrayonKing

The US election looks to be in recount territory and the final result may not be known for weeks.
That will take any UK/EU deal to the wire if BoJo is waiting on who is president.
The UK will not be Brexit ready on Jan 1st and the papers will all scream Chaos.
They love putting 'Chaos' in a headline.

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:00 - Nov 6 with 1857 viewsBent_double

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:12 - Nov 6 by Steve_M

There are so many sectors of the economy so much bigger than fishing - financial services and car manufacturing for a start.

Leaving the EU would have been disruptive but manageable with a coherent view of the strengths and weaknesses of the UK economy; with no plan and whilst still trying to pretend there are no real downsides it is disastrous.

I get that fishing is small fry, so to speak, but I also get why British fishermen want to keep the waters around the UK to themselves.

It seems bizarre that French boats are allowed so far into British waters, yet British boats weren't allowed close to the French coast at all.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:05 - Nov 6 with 1852 viewsCrayonKing

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 12:48 - Nov 6 by Oldsmoker

The US election looks to be in recount territory and the final result may not be known for weeks.
That will take any UK/EU deal to the wire if BoJo is waiting on who is president.
The UK will not be Brexit ready on Jan 1st and the papers will all scream Chaos.
They love putting 'Chaos' in a headline.

Georgia, and possibly Arizona, look like they could be heading for recounts (although AZ isn't closing as much as the Trump team would like) but with PA looking like it will go to Biden it becomes moot. The lawsuits are mostly about creating a false narrative that he's been cheated rather than any expectation of winning them, and they seem to be getting dismissed pretty-quickly in most cases.

If the UK Govt aren't already preparing for a Biden presidency then they're fools, imho.
Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:08 - Nov 6 with 1848 viewsOldsmoker

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:00 - Nov 6 by Bent_double

I get that fishing is small fry, so to speak, but I also get why British fishermen want to keep the waters around the UK to themselves.

It seems bizarre that French boats are allowed so far into British waters, yet British boats weren't allowed close to the French coast at all.

In the 1990s some English fishermen sold their quotas to foreign fisherman.
Over 50% is foreign owned.
There's a chart in this article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52420116

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:14 - Nov 6 with 1843 viewsCrayonKing

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:00 - Nov 6 by Bent_double

fishing quotas are a surprisingly murky subject. Basically fishing licenses are transferable, and thus tradeable. Ours have been sold off to the highest bidders, regardless of country. Hence some French fisherman can legally fish here because they've bought the quota rights to do so. I presume France keep theirs to themselves.

more info here: https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2019/03/07/fishing-brexit-uk-fleetwood/

Edit: Oldsmoker beat me to it and said it better ;)
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 13:17]
Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:25 - Nov 6 with 1821 viewsMonkeyAlan

Same old crew on here, still banging on.
Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:27 - Nov 6 with 1813 viewsOldsmoker

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:25 - Nov 6 by MonkeyAlan

Unfortunately we have the same old crew in Westminster still banging on.

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:37 - Nov 6 with 1803 viewsCrayonKing

Same old trolls adding the same level of insight.

It’s nice to be considered part of a crew now though!
Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:48 - Nov 6 with 1789 viewsnoggin

Yeah, brexit is going swimmingly innit.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:49 - Nov 6 with 1782 viewsnoggin

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 13:08 - Nov 6 by Oldsmoker

We shud invaid frans and take them back. Rool britanya.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 14:03 - Nov 6 with 1757 viewsSteve_M

Well, quite. The narcissistic impulse behind Brexit is that of a toddler unable to take responsibility for this country's own decisions. Outside the EU that comfort blanket of blaming it has gone.

Johnson even said this once before it became opportunistic for him to pretend otherwise.

Just an update on where we are on Brexit here on 14:57 - Nov 6 with 1736 viewsBent_double

Aahh, didn't know that, thanks!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024