Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... 20:28 - Nov 6 with 1494 viewsmonytowbray

And sign this.

https://www.change.org/p/west-suffolk-council-approve-a-bury-st-edmunds-for-blac

I mean, really? I know it’s Tory town but it’s not 1950 FFS.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 20:50 - Nov 6 with 1406 viewsjeera

"our 'particular views' were not wanted for the customers of Bury St Edmunds Market."

Except how the feck would they know as no one will have polled 'the customers'.

The council there have always been conservative in their views.

To the point they even protested about Shelter having a winter/Christmas shelter there for the harshest 3 months of the year intended to get the worst affected homeless off the streets for some reprieve.

They didn't want to attract 'those sorts' and managed eventually to close it down.

Very stringent overseers there, who will not budge an inch through compassion and only ever seem to concede on credible threats of legal action.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 21:08 - Nov 6 with 1359 viewsmonytowbray

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 20:50 - Nov 6 by jeera

"our 'particular views' were not wanted for the customers of Bury St Edmunds Market."

To the point they even protested about Shelter having a winter/Christmas shelter there for the harshest 3 months of the year intended to get the worst affected homeless off the streets for some reprieve.

They didn't want to attract 'those sorts' and managed eventually to close it down.

Very stringent overseers there, who will not budge an inch through compassion and only ever seem to concede on credible threats of legal action.

Some folks a couple of years back ran a stall campaign encouraging people not to give money to the homeless locally as it encourages them.

Ah yes, the old “I’m going to sleep rough to not work and pick up pennies all day” approach to life.

These people genuinely believe the nonsense they’ve made up in their own minds with only their own life experience to go by.

TWTD never forgets…

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 21:14 - Nov 6 with 1340 viewsfooters

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 20:50 - Nov 6 by jeera

"Ipswich lives in racial harmony."

Not so Suffolk at large, it seems.

Get facters to pull some strings.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 22:15 - Nov 6 with 1201 viewsfactual_blue

Stop using the market.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 22:17 - Nov 6 with 1197 viewsfactual_blue

Err...isn't the petition misdirected if addressed to Suffolk County Council?

They're not responsible for street markets; West Suffolk Council is.

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 22:30 - Nov 6 with 1167 viewsFenoit

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 21:14 - Nov 6 by footers

Don't bring that old codger into it. I wouldn't even class Ixworth as Bury St Edmunds.
Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 22:35 - Nov 6 with 1158 viewsjeera

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 22:15 - Nov 6 by factual_blue

Stop using the market.

Don't support the retailers? It's not the fault of those few traders who are there that the council are so trashy in their views. It's a struggle for the poor sods left as it is.

Although there is no Bury market anymore really.

I walked through there a few weeks ago and recognised maybe 3-4 stallholders. The place was a pitiful sight of a few dozen [mostly junk] food stalls and unrecognisable from the bustling diverse market that was there for so many years.

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 23:09 - Nov 6 with 1102 viewsmonytowbray

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 22:35 - Nov 6 by jeera

Don't support the retailers? It's not the fault of those few traders who are there that the council are so trashy in their views. It's a struggle for the poor sods left as it is.

Although there is no Bury market anymore really.

I walked through there a few weeks ago and recognised maybe 3-4 stallholders. The place was a pitiful sight of a few dozen [mostly junk] food stalls and unrecognisable from the bustling diverse market that was there for so many years.

I’m more worried about the shops. I remember being a kid and all sorts of indie retailers and at least local chains were about. Now it’s all tax dodging coffee shops and those crappy chain restaurants mostly swapped by dodgy rich folk to launder money and offset debt.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 23:17 - Nov 6 with 1091 viewsjeera

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 23:09 - Nov 6 by monytowbray

I’m more worried about the shops. I remember being a kid and all sorts of indie retailers and at least local chains were about. Now it’s all tax dodging coffee shops and those crappy chain restaurants mostly swapped by dodgy rich folk to launder money and offset debt.

The market and shops used to complement each other and worked well together as an attraction. The buses and coaches that piled into Bury of a Wednesday brought an incredible amount of people from near and far and we all used to take good money.

Without wishing to sound like an old stuck-in-the past type, the face of the town changed dramatically when the cattle market was moved out of town and of course was eventually replaced with the Arc shops.

I am well aware of the positives of course of the modern set-up, but it killed off many of the long-standing family busineses and with it the diversity.

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 23:28 - Nov 6 with 1070 viewsmonytowbray

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 23:17 - Nov 6 by jeera

The market and shops used to complement each other and worked well together as an attraction. The buses and coaches that piled into Bury of a Wednesday brought an incredible amount of people from near and far and we all used to take good money.

Without wishing to sound like an old stuck-in-the past type, the face of the town changed dramatically when the cattle market was moved out of town and of course was eventually replaced with the Arc shops.

I am well aware of the positives of course of the modern set-up, but it killed off many of the long-standing family busineses and with it the diversity.

I know those buses well, would often get a day out of school for the dentist via one from Lakenheath with my Mum and Sister. Highlights of the day were McDonalds, toy browsing in Woolworths, buying pointless sh1t in Swag Shop, Andy’s Records and once upon a time a trip to the ITFC shop.

Ended up going to school at KEGS after leaving Mildenhall Upper before they could expel me and ended up calling Bury more of a home despite my time being split between there and Lakenheath.

And let’s not even get started about the Priors pub now being flats. I saw my first ever live band there, oddly of which was the first band the guitarist in my current band was in.

Still has one of the best skate parks in the country too in big part thanks to the work Hardcore Hobbies did and that’s gone now after 20 years. Was gutted about that, Mills is a top bloke.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 23:30]

TWTD never forgets…

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 23:41 - Nov 6 with 1044 viewsfactual_blue

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 21:14 - Nov 6 by footers

Bury's gone downhill since the highly popular norm moved into Churchgate Street.

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 01:43 - Nov 7 with 987 viewsjeera

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 23:28 - Nov 6 by monytowbray

I know those buses well, would often get a day out of school for the dentist via one from Lakenheath with my Mum and Sister. Highlights of the day were McDonalds, toy browsing in Woolworths, buying pointless sh1t in Swag Shop, Andy’s Records and once upon a time a trip to the ITFC shop.

Ended up going to school at KEGS after leaving Mildenhall Upper before they could expel me and ended up calling Bury more of a home despite my time being split between there and Lakenheath.

And let’s not even get started about the Priors pub now being flats. I saw my first ever live band there, oddly of which was the first band the guitarist in my current band was in.

Still has one of the best skate parks in the country too in big part thanks to the work Hardcore Hobbies did and that’s gone now after 20 years. Was gutted about that, Mills is a top bloke.

The days of live music in the pubs of Bury...

As well as The Grapes, the Rising Sun was always good value and as you say The Priors once upon a time too.

Amongst others that I'm too tired to think right now!

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 07:59 - Nov 7 with 854 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 23:09 - Nov 6 by monytowbray

Not strictly true - the new part around the Arc (if you can still call it new) and a lot of the centre square are generally major retailers however as you head down towards the abbey gardens there’s a lot of independent retailers and restaurants. No doubt there used to be more however I think the centre of Bury has held up better than a lot of other places on that front IMO

Decision in the petition is ridiculous though, I just went to sign but am getting an error so will sign later

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 08:17 - Nov 7 with 835 viewsgtsb1966

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 23:41 - Nov 6 by factual_blue

Bury's gone downhill since the highly popular norm moved into Churchgate Street.

Bury's town centre is like Oxford Street compared to Sudbury .
Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 09:05 - Nov 7 with 774 viewsTractorWood

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 23:28 - Nov 6 by monytowbray

Yep. A cracking day browsing and not buying anything.

I'd throw Stone Angel in there too!

Bury now basically caters for retired potterers. Every other shop is a homogeneous coffee shop, be it independent or chain where it takes 45 minutes and £6 to get a luke warm panini.

Amazing there isn't a good coffee place. Cambridge has Stir, hot numbers and Espresso library.

Bury does have some good pubs though. Dove, Oakes Barn, Mason's is the best GK pub by a mile.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2020 9:08]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 09:13 - Nov 7 with 758 viewsDubtractor

Stay classy Bury St. Edmunds... on 22:17 - Nov 6 by factual_blue

Err...isn't the petition misdirected if addressed to Suffolk County Council?

They're not responsible for street markets; West Suffolk Council is.

Correct. Street markets are nothing to do with Suffolk CC.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024