Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things that I never knew.....no 2398 17:14 - Nov 8 with 1046 viewsEdwardStone

Beaches for the Normandy Landings 1944

What I did know

The Americans landed at Utah and Omaha

The British and Commonwealth landed at Gold, Sword and Juno. Mainly Canadians at Juno

What I learned today

These beaches were originally named after fish, as in Goldfish, Swordfish and, until the Canadians objected, Jellyfish

The fish suffix was dropped and Jelly changed to Juno

There was also another beach landing planned, Bandfish, but it didn't go ahead

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:18 - Nov 8 with 1012 viewscatch74

They were thinking about a Bluefish landing, would have been the best beach landing if they’d had the same munitions as the others.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:21 - Nov 8 with 1004 viewsMedwayTractor

The clip at the end, from inside a landing craft, was taken at Juno. Infantry at Juno was Canadian, support units such as Royal Engineers, were British. Some of these RE units remained attached to the Canadians through to the end. i should know, cos my Dad was there!

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:30 - Nov 8 with 965 viewsfactual_blue

Famous author J D Salinger landed on Utah beach on D Day with the first six chapters of Catcher In The Rye in his rucksack.

In the film The Longest Day actor Richard Todd played his own commanding officer (John Howard) in the assault on Pegasus Bridge. Todd had wanted to appear as himself, but had it pointed out to him that in 1964 he was too old to be a twenty-something lieutenant.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:30 - Nov 8 with 964 viewsGeoffSentence

Weird. I was watching that earlier. I like a bit of Mark Felton.

Do do-do doddy-do do do do

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:31 - Nov 8 with 957 viewsfactual_blue

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:21 - Nov 8 by MedwayTractor

The clip at the end, from inside a landing craft, was taken at Juno. Infantry at Juno was Canadian, support units such as Royal Engineers, were British. Some of these RE units remained attached to the Canadians through to the end. i should know, cos my Dad was there!

The Germans were afraid of the Canadians, who were more than happy to settle up for the Dieppe Raid.

They didn't take many prisoners.

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:38 - Nov 8 with 928 viewsEdwardStone

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:30 - Nov 8 by GeoffSentence

Weird. I was watching that earlier. I like a bit of Mark Felton.

Do do-do doddy-do do do do

Mark Felton is absolutely awesome

I do not use that word lightly
Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:41 - Nov 8 with 907 viewsfactual_blue

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:38 - Nov 8 by EdwardStone

Mark Felton is absolutely awesome

I do not use that word lightly

He lives in norwich, apparently.

So it's a 'no' from me.

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:48 - Nov 8 with 900 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Boys turned into Men in seconds. Bloody hero's the lot of them. Would like to think I would have been as brave, but I would probably have just sat there sh1tt1ng myself.
Login to get fewer ads

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:58 - Nov 8 with 881 viewsfactual_blue

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:48 - Nov 8 by IpswichBoyBlue

Boys turned into Men in seconds. Bloody hero's the lot of them. Would like to think I would have been as brave, but I would probably have just sat there sh1tt1ng myself.

That's what most of them would have done.

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 18:29 - Nov 8 with 852 viewsEdwardStone

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:21 - Nov 8 by MedwayTractor

As a former Royal Engineer, I would like to stress that we are always available to assist anyone

Even Canadians

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 18:31 - Nov 8 with 840 viewsEdwardStone

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:41 - Nov 8 by factual_blue

He lives in norwich, apparently.

So it's a 'no' from me.

Norwich is a Fine City

It says so on the signs at the City Limits
Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 18:35 - Nov 8 with 830 viewsEdwardStone

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 17:48 - Nov 8 by IpswichBoyBlue

You would have been just fine Mr BoyBlue, just fine. I am sure that you would have done your duty and more. People generally do.

Ordinary people doing extraordinary things....people almost always react positively to their challenges

Then change their undergarments slightly later

see also NHS during the current plague
Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 18:43 - Nov 8 with 811 viewseastangliaisblue

Things that I never knew.....no 2398 on 18:35 - Nov 8 by EdwardStone

You would have been just fine Mr BoyBlue, just fine. I am sure that you would have done your duty and more. People generally do.

Ordinary people doing extraordinary things....people almost always react positively to their challenges

Then change their undergarments slightly later

see also NHS during the current plague

When I first joined the fire service, on the way to my first incident that I knew was going to involve a serious threat to life, I was bricking it. As soon as I jumped out of the truck and got to work those fears went out of the window and the training kicked in. Not once during the incident did I feel nervous or scared.

I agree totally with your sentiment. It's before and after incidents you worry about things. During it the mind makes you focus on what you need to do.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024