Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The curious case of David Cornell? 17:15 - Nov 8 with 4151 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Might be harsh, but I haven’t been blown away by his cup or pre season performances, despite a few handy saves - yesterday a prime example, at fault for one possibly two of the goals yet still pulled off a couple of decent stops. For a keeper who was highly rated last season, I’d have expected him to be pushing Holy harder this year - I also can’t work out why he would give up regular league one football at Northampton (or elsewhere) for regular league one bench warming, especially with the salary cap meaning he can’t have had a huge pay rise here.

Reminds me of a Gerken scenario - better back up keeper than most others have, but unlikely to push on and be our number one.
The curious case of David Cornell? on 17:44 - Nov 8 with 4055 viewsJ2BLUE

I think we signed him well before the salary cap? Which is probably the answer to why he's here.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The curious case of David Cornell? on 17:46 - Nov 8 with 4048 viewsFixed_It

The curious case of David Cornell? on 17:44 - Nov 8 by J2BLUE

I think we signed him well before the salary cap? Which is probably the answer to why he's here.

We did. And he is very much a Third Division keeper. We are currently a Third Division team.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The curious case of David Cornell? on 17:50 - Nov 8 with 4043 viewsNthQldITFC

Not seen enough of him to form much of an opinion, but although I've never been a goalkeeper I can't understand why he seemed to position the wall in the middle of the goal for the free kick. I thought the idea was to block one side with the wall, or try to, and the keeper covers the other side.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The curious case of David Cornell? on 18:17 - Nov 8 with 3995 viewsstopmoaning

Northampton didn’t want to sign him, so he didn’t give up anything there, he was coming to a “big” club and thinks he can push for no 1.

I agree though, he’s not great.
The curious case of David Cornell? on 18:54 - Nov 8 with 3910 viewsChrisd

The curious case of David Cornell? on 17:50 - Nov 8 by NthQldITFC

Not seen enough of him to form much of an opinion, but although I've never been a goalkeeper I can't understand why he seemed to position the wall in the middle of the goal for the free kick. I thought the idea was to block one side with the wall, or try to, and the keeper covers the other side.

Why was there a gap in the wall? Just inviting the Portsmouth player to aim right through it, which he did.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The curious case of David Cornell? on 19:07 - Nov 8 with 3886 viewsChrisd

The curious case of David Cornell? on 18:17 - Nov 8 by stopmoaning

Northampton didn’t want to sign him, so he didn’t give up anything there, he was coming to a “big” club and thinks he can push for no 1.

I agree though, he’s not great.

Reading from what Northampton fans had said, they much prefer who they have in goal now. Many weren’t that disappointed to see Cornell leave.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The curious case of David Cornell? on 09:28 - Nov 9 with 3494 viewsSamWhiteUK

People were calling for him to play because he's good with his feet. I can't say I thought he was particularly any better than Holy in that regard, and he concedes that first goal when he really should be saving it. I think Holy's place is safe for the time being.
The curious case of David Cornell? on 09:30 - Nov 9 with 3484 viewsRobTheMonk

That first goal was a dreadful one to concede because it was so avoidable. Good placement from the Pompey player. The wall placement on the other hand....
Login to get fewer ads

The curious case of David Cornell? on 10:01 - Nov 9 with 3435 viewsSwansea_Blue

The curious case of David Cornell? on 09:30 - Nov 9 by RobTheMonk

That first goal was a dreadful one to concede because it was so avoidable. Good placement from the Pompey player. The wall placement on the other hand....

I like having Sears off to the side, like an observer at the vote counting stations in the US! Quite wtf he is doing there is anyone's guess.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The curious case of David Cornell? on 10:07 - Nov 9 with 3415 viewsWeWereZombies

The curious case of David Cornell? on 10:01 - Nov 9 by Swansea_Blue

I like having Sears off to the side, like an observer at the vote counting stations in the US! Quite wtf he is doing there is anyone's guess.

Was it one of the Arsenal players who was actually lying on the ground behind the wall at the weekend? Sears could do that...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The curious case of David Cornell? on 10:09 - Nov 9 with 3407 viewsSwansea_Blue

The curious case of David Cornell? on 10:07 - Nov 9 by WeWereZombies

Was it one of the Arsenal players who was actually lying on the ground behind the wall at the weekend? Sears could do that...

Hah! I've only seen that a couple of times to prevent a kicker going under the wall when it jumps. He'd have been more useful doing that. Still crap keeping and wall placement though.

The curious case of David Cornell? on 10:12 - Nov 9 with 3391 viewsitfcjoe

I quite like what I've seen of him, think he'll get his chance this year at some point - he is better on the ball....but whilst Holy has had a couple of dodgy moments he's kept 6 clean sheets already this season, sure DC is keeping him on his toes

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The curious case of David Cornell? on 10:30 - Nov 9 with 3356 viewsPJH

The curious case of David Cornell? on 10:12 - Nov 9 by itfcjoe

I quite like what I've seen of him, think he'll get his chance this year at some point - he is better on the ball....but whilst Holy has had a couple of dodgy moments he's kept 6 clean sheets already this season, sure DC is keeping him on his toes

I don't think that there is much between them, Holy has done ok but has had some not very convincing moments in most of the matches. For Cornell to have any chance to establish himself he will need more than one game scattered about-in fact, in theory, tomorrow could be his last game of the season.
The curious case of David Cornell? on 22:37 - Nov 9 with 3164 viewsSuperCoops

Personally, I'm not convinced with either of our keepers. But I suppose maybe it's because we have had a better appeal before but now we are League 1 it will be much harder to attract quality.
The curious case of David Cornell? on 23:38 - Nov 9 with 3142 viewsTieDyedIn95

I agree 100% with this although I do feel Gerks was slightly underrated here, not an amazing keeper but compared to even Holy, Norris, Cornell, Loach, Barrett, Murphy and a ton of the others we had on the books he was a world beater on his day.

Aside from Gerks and Bart we've had a shed load of absolutely awful keepers here aside from Fulop, Alexander and Begovic (who last played for AC Milan...) post Kelvin Davis, which was 14 years ago... and I'd put Holy and Cornell in that group, as they'd be utterly destroyed in the league above.

If we had Bart last season things would have been very different. But we opted to get the wages off the books instead and that was that. Bart went on to be the Championship keeper of the year and Millwall's player of the season, we didn't even make the Playoffs and lost to Exeter in the FA Trophy. That's the Ipswich way.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

The curious case of David Cornell? on 23:57 - Nov 9 with 3123 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I think he’s fine personally, looks good with ball at his feet, made a very good stop from Curtis first half v Pompey to stop going 3-0.

The free kick was clearly a little unfortunate. Came off the post to the back of his head and in. Thought the wall wasn’t lined up well so that’s a question mark.

It’s also difficult to be just coming in once every 6/7 games for a cup outting. He’ll need consistent game time to probably see his best.

I think both keepers are fine at L1, both have their pluses and negatives, but certainly not an area of weakness for us.

He’ll be on 4x minimum his Northampton wage here.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

The curious case of David Cornell? on 04:19 - Nov 10 with 3079 viewsSuperCoops

The curious case of David Cornell? on 23:38 - Nov 9 by TieDyedIn95

I agree 100% with this although I do feel Gerks was slightly underrated here, not an amazing keeper but compared to even Holy, Norris, Cornell, Loach, Barrett, Murphy and a ton of the others we had on the books he was a world beater on his day.

Aside from Gerks and Bart we've had a shed load of absolutely awful keepers here aside from Fulop, Alexander and Begovic (who last played for AC Milan...) post Kelvin Davis, which was 14 years ago... and I'd put Holy and Cornell in that group, as they'd be utterly destroyed in the league above.

If we had Bart last season things would have been very different. But we opted to get the wages off the books instead and that was that. Bart went on to be the Championship keeper of the year and Millwall's player of the season, we didn't even make the Playoffs and lost to Exeter in the FA Trophy. That's the Ipswich way.

"Absolute shed load of awful keepers"?

I'm not sure I agree with that. A few certainly, ALB, Bywater etc but wouldn't say shedloads. Think we've been blessed with some decent keepers, to be honest.
The curious case of David Cornell? on 10:35 - Nov 11 with 2945 viewsSaleAway

granted the highlights didn't show much other than the 2 goals, but can't help feeling keeper should have done better with both. The cross for the first was floated from the sideline - he could have just come out and claimed, and for the second, just seemed really slow to get down.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

The curious case of David Cornell? on 10:47 - Nov 11 with 2928 viewsSamWhiteUK

The curious case of David Cornell? on 04:19 - Nov 10 by SuperCoops

"Absolute shed load of awful keepers"?

I'm not sure I agree with that. A few certainly, ALB, Bywater etc but wouldn't say shedloads. Think we've been blessed with some decent keepers, to be honest.

I'm sure I read somewhere that in the games we played with ALB in goal, we averaged a PPG that would have got us into the Championship playoffs most seasons.
The curious case of David Cornell? on 10:49 - Nov 11 with 2922 viewsSwansea_Blue

The curious case of David Cornell? on 10:47 - Nov 11 by SamWhiteUK

I'm sure I read somewhere that in the games we played with ALB in goal, we averaged a PPG that would have got us into the Championship playoffs most seasons.

That's because there was extra incentive for the midfield and defence to not let the opposition anywhere near our 18 yard box!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024