Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you were a Premier League manager 17:26 - Nov 8 with 868 viewsTrequartista

Would you instruct your team to try and score a goal from open play, or would you instruct them try to win a penalty through drawing a 'touch' in the box or firing the ball at an arm?

The modern game is crisis in my opinion and people will stop watching this eventually.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

If you were a Premier League manager on 17:30 - Nov 8 with 827 viewsBasuco

If you play for Liverpool, dive every time, they are averaging a penalty every other game this calendar year, 40 penalties in 80 games, if you are a "small" club go for a goal in open play.
If you were a Premier League manager on 17:33 - Nov 8 with 807 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

If I were a Premier League manager, I wouldn't give a sh1t. 1 season, couple of million in the bank, retire. Happy Dayz.
If you were a Premier League manager on 19:07 - Nov 8 with 740 viewsGarv

For me, giving a penalty for something so borderline, like Gomez but there are countless examples, is generally a bigger crime than not giving something that is potentially more clear cut. We're deciding games (if KDB scores) with borderline decisions which is tragic and as Micah Richards just said, making a mockery of the game.

A penalty is a massive chance to score a goal, that's obvious. The punishment simply doesn't fit the crime most of the time.

I don't buy that the they're applying the laws of the game, because if they were the qualified ref watching on tele from 10 different angles would tell the on-field to give it. Once they go to the screen they are applying their own opinion and 'logic'. If he waives that away it barely gets spoken about afterwards, but no he gives it and now we have this boring discussion.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

If you were a Premier League manager on 19:16 - Nov 8 with 711 viewsTrequartista

If you were a Premier League manager on 19:07 - Nov 8 by Garv

For me, giving a penalty for something so borderline, like Gomez but there are countless examples, is generally a bigger crime than not giving something that is potentially more clear cut. We're deciding games (if KDB scores) with borderline decisions which is tragic and as Micah Richards just said, making a mockery of the game.

A penalty is a massive chance to score a goal, that's obvious. The punishment simply doesn't fit the crime most of the time.

I don't buy that the they're applying the laws of the game, because if they were the qualified ref watching on tele from 10 different angles would tell the on-field to give it. Once they go to the screen they are applying their own opinion and 'logic'. If he waives that away it barely gets spoken about afterwards, but no he gives it and now we have this boring discussion.

I think previously there was common sense applied. A foul outside the area and the referee would decide a close call on the balance of probability. The same foul inside the area and the referee would give the penalty only if certain it was a foul. Furthermore, in a game where say two penalties have already been given, a third or more would need to be blatantly obvious. Think of the thousands of football games played in England over the years and yet i don't remember five or six penalties in a game, yet surely 5 infringements in two penalty boxes in 90 minutes is surely not a million to one shot. But this 'unwritten rule' kept the game in reasonable shape.

VAR seems to have changed this. It doesn't even have to go to VAR, refs are giving penalties knowing VAR will back them, players know if they can draw a touch they will get it. The crazy handball rule then further exacerbates it.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2020 19:17]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

If you were a Premier League manager on 19:27 - Nov 8 with 685 viewsgtsb1966

Absolute joke again today. Kick the ball to the arm. Football is f****d.
If you were a Premier League manager on 19:35 - Nov 8 with 668 viewsm14_blue

Completely agree.

No one seems to realise just how bad this could be for the game. Obsessing over individual decisions misses the point, a huge increase in the number of soft penalties deciding games is killing the game.

Modern football sucks balls.
If you were a Premier League manager on 22:42 - Nov 8 with 527 viewsGarv

If you were a Premier League manager on 19:16 - Nov 8 by Trequartista

I think previously there was common sense applied. A foul outside the area and the referee would decide a close call on the balance of probability. The same foul inside the area and the referee would give the penalty only if certain it was a foul. Furthermore, in a game where say two penalties have already been given, a third or more would need to be blatantly obvious. Think of the thousands of football games played in England over the years and yet i don't remember five or six penalties in a game, yet surely 5 infringements in two penalty boxes in 90 minutes is surely not a million to one shot. But this 'unwritten rule' kept the game in reasonable shape.

VAR seems to have changed this. It doesn't even have to go to VAR, refs are giving penalties knowing VAR will back them, players know if they can draw a touch they will get it. The crazy handball rule then further exacerbates it.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2020 19:17]

Common sense has to be applied, but even that doesn't mean the same two referees making the same decision as each other. This thing about consistency annoys me because it's not logical.

The sad thing is as well, we won't ever go back.

Now we've had a period where decisions 'have to be right' we will always strive for the same. The fact that they're still not right just means they will keep going to try and perfect the method.

I'm basically at the stage now where every non award of a penalty, whether right or wrong, is a triumph and victory over all the ones that are given, because the majority are done so for nothing.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

If you were a Premier League manager on 22:47 - Nov 8 with 512 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The firing it at the arm has to be a legitimate option currently and it is sad the authorities could not foresee it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024