Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood 15:34 - Nov 9 with 1297 viewsDarth_Koont

On Saturday, I was only really thinking about the poor first half performance and the second half revival that eventually petered out before we could go on and win it.

But really, really enjoyed McGavin’s performance throughout. He’s not going to replace Dozzell (and Skuse may also come back into contention) but we should have no fear at playing McGavin in the league - and even on the bench if we need to get a grip on midfield. Hugely encouraging performance and hope that we can see more of him developing with games in and around the first team.

Donacien was quietly excellent too. Handled his defensive duties well but looked particularly controlled and sharp with his use of the ball. Another player we shouldn’t be worried about using but also makes it bizarre we’ve had him out of favor for so long - and also that we have so many players for almost every position before we even start getting to the youngsters you’d expect as backup.

And I’ve been fairly critical of Norwood but his movement helped us. If players aren’t going to get up in support and play off Hawkins then better to have a player like Norwood who can roam around causing damage. The goal was also surprisingly clinical. Hopefully he can stay involved and start making his case for starts.

Despite having good individual performances scattered around the pitch, there’s still the case that the team needs to fire more consistently and the interplay needs to improve. But Lambert can’t make the excuse of a lack of individual quality on that front - they just need to be forged into a stronger, tighter unit.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2020 15:36]

Pronouns: He/Him

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 15:37 - Nov 9 with 1258 viewstractorboy1978

For all the moaning about Norwood's antics on here, you can't help but feel our season rests on him staying fit, focused and sharp.
Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 15:38 - Nov 9 with 1246 viewshype313

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 15:37 - Nov 9 by tractorboy1978

For all the moaning about Norwood's antics on here, you can't help but feel our season rests on him staying fit, focused and sharp.

Indeed, the bloke is an absolute tool, but I'd rather have him in our team than against us.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 15:45 - Nov 9 with 1202 viewsDarth_Koont

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 15:37 - Nov 9 by tractorboy1978

I think it depends on getting the best out of the three upfront/three in midfield system and that’s more about Lambert and the coaches than any one player.

We’ve looked better this season and when things open up in games then we can look very good with the pace of Edwards. But at 0-0 we still struggle to look cohesive in the attacking third and to turn possession into real pressure and a goal threat. And even before the changes for the FA Cup we looked as if we were starting to rotate players to try to get something to work.

Getting that going before the end of the year will stop us fading away like last season - and it was the same problem we were trying to resolve IMO.

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 15:47 - Nov 9 with 1191 viewsDubtractor

"Donacien was quietly excellent"

Steady on the hyperbole mate.

I thought he was pretty average, and almost gifted them a goal with a comical backpass in the first half. Compare his impact to the performances of Chambers so far this season and it is like night and day.

Agreed on Norwood and McGavin though.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2020 15:53]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 15:58 - Nov 9 with 1141 viewsDarth_Koont

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 15:47 - Nov 9 by Dubtractor

I thought he was pretty average, and almost gifted them a goal with a comical backpass in the first half. Compare his impact to the performances of Chambers so far this season and it is like night and day.

Nah, he played very well.

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 19:38 - Nov 9 with 889 viewsreusersfreekicks

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 15:47 - Nov 9 by Dubtractor

That back pass wasn't him
Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 20:11 - Nov 9 with 836 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 15:38 - Nov 9 by hype313

Indeed, the bloke is an absolute tool, but I'd rather have him in our team than against us.

I love it when football fans act as if they know footballers on a personal level, always makes me chuckle.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 20:13 - Nov 9 with 829 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I don’t think you can pin your hopes on him entirely, but he clearly knows where the back of the net is.

Needs fitness, need game time, needs form.

I don’t disagree he’s important, but imo I don’t think the season relies on him.

Login to get fewer ads

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 20:50 - Nov 9 with 770 viewsStNeotsBlue

The dodgy backpass was Nsalia but the commentator got them muddled.
Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 21:26 - Nov 9 with 726 viewstractorboy1978

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 20:13 - Nov 9 by TheTrueBlue1878

I don’t think you can pin your hopes on him entirely, but he clearly knows where the back of the net is.

Needs fitness, need game time, needs form.

I don’t disagree he’s important, but imo I don’t think the season relies on him.

I don't buy that we can go through the season without a striker scoring goals regularly. Bishop/Edwards in particular have chipped in well so far but I'm not sure we have enough goals in the team over a 46 game season.

Even though he wasn't fully fit on Saturday I think Norwood showed what he offers that Hawkins simply doesn't. He can come short as well as go in behind which brings an extra dimension to our play and that's before you even talk about the additional goal scoring ability.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2020 21:28]
Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 23:43 - Nov 9 with 603 viewsrickw

I didn't love McGavin's performance Saturday, yes he was always available for the ball, but he seemed too keen to pass it backwards. On the few occasions he did pass forwards they were good passes, just a little frustrating he didn't look to do that first.

Donacien looks comfortable going forwards but seemed to be caught out of position a bit when they counter attacked.

I thought the game changed with Edwards and Norwood's energy when they came on

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 00:02 - Nov 10 with 582 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Extra thoughts on Saturday: McGavin, Donacien and Norwood on 21:26 - Nov 9 by tractorboy1978

I don't buy that we can go through the season without a striker scoring goals regularly. Bishop/Edwards in particular have chipped in well so far but I'm not sure we have enough goals in the team over a 46 game season.

Even though he wasn't fully fit on Saturday I think Norwood showed what he offers that Hawkins simply doesn't. He can come short as well as go in behind which brings an extra dimension to our play and that's before you even talk about the additional goal scoring ability.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2020 21:28]

Oh no I agree entirely. We need a goalscoring striker, but I’d struggle to get my hopes set on a man who hasn’t been able to find any kind of sustained fitness since March.

I would say if he could be back starting around the Hull or Charlton game and find some sustained fitness it would be big.

He doesn’t seem to be some peoples cup of tea, but I’m a big fan. Knows where the back of the net is, nasty, horrible, physical, aggressive, and fully fit will lead the line well. He clearly isn’t favoured by all I’d much rather have him with us than against us.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024