Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you like war documentaries 18:47 - Nov 13 with 1938 viewsgtsb1966

I would highly recommend watching this on Channel 5 catch up. Some fascinating stuff.
https://www.channel5.com/show/how-britain-won-ww2/
If you like war documentaries on 19:00 - Nov 13 with 1669 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Seen some of it, then my viewing enjoyment was disrupted somewhat by the missus.
Will catch up with the rest soon when time allows as was very good.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

If you like war documentaries on 19:45 - Nov 13 with 1637 viewsKeno

If you like war documentaries on 19:00 - Nov 13 by StochesStotasBlewe

Seen some of it, then my viewing enjoyment was disrupted somewhat by the missus.
Will catch up with the rest soon when time allows as was very good.

Dont you just hate when you are watching a good documentary and the Missus comes in, starts a provocative striptease and end on performing mouth to groin resuscitation

Really spoils your enjoyment of what's on TV

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

If you like war documentaries on 20:10 - Nov 13 with 1612 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

If you like war documentaries on 19:45 - Nov 13 by Keno

Dont you just hate when you are watching a good documentary and the Missus comes in, starts a provocative striptease and end on performing mouth to groin resuscitation

Really spoils your enjoyment of what's on TV

My Ovaltine went cold too. Hrmph.

Seriously thinking of moving to Stepford.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

If you like war documentaries on 20:21 - Nov 13 with 1590 viewsKeno

If you like war documentaries on 20:10 - Nov 13 by StochesStotasBlewe

My Ovaltine went cold too. Hrmph.

Seriously thinking of moving to Stepford.

has the woman no respect

cold ovaltine!!!!

If you like war documentaries on 20:27 - Nov 13 with 1587 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

If you like war documentaries on 20:21 - Nov 13 by Keno

has the woman no respect

cold ovaltine!!!!

She seems to be getting a little rebellious lately. Intercourse has always been the second Sunday of the month AFTER my Ovaltine has been consumed.

I,m definately moving us to Stepford.

If you like war documentaries on 07:22 - Nov 14 with 1446 viewsflettonblue

Bbc2 midweek showed Gary lineker tracing his grandad war through Italy,well with a watch. His conversation s with the surviving veterans were honest, emotional and inspiring.
If you like war documentaries on 07:33 - Nov 14 with 1438 viewsChurchman

If you are interested in war stuff, thr podcasts ‘We have wats of making you talk’ with historian James Holland and Al Murray are excellent. Holland’s book Normandy ‘44.is extremely good too.
If you like war documentaries on 08:06 - Nov 14 with 1425 viewsHARRY10

There is an excellent collection on Youtube, of short WW2 docs that cover little known parts of the war - Mark Felton Productions

This one will surprise

[Post edited 14 Nov 2020 8:26]
Login to get fewer ads

If you like war documentaries on 08:15 - Nov 14 with 1420 viewssolomon

Sounds good, will give it a look.

Will make a nice change from the countless documentaries on other channels which constantly remind us that the US won, almost single handled WW2 (I know there may be an element of truth in that some where but it’s no excuse for turning up late)
If you like war documentaries on 08:54 - Nov 14 with 1396 viewseastangliaisblue

I've recently watched Berlin 1945 on BBC4. It's about the end days of the war solely in Berlin, using extracts from the diaries of Berliners and Russian, American, British soldiers etc. It's a superb documentary I highly recommend it.
If you like war documentaries on 09:48 - Nov 14 with 1362 viewsPlums

If you like war documentaries on 07:33 - Nov 14 by Churchman

If you are interested in war stuff, thr podcasts ‘We have wats of making you talk’ with historian James Holland and Al Murray are excellent. Holland’s book Normandy ‘44.is extremely good too.

I’m a member of the Independent Co. it’s been a great source of interest during lockdown. Thoroughly enjoyed the audio books too.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

If you like war documentaries on 09:50 - Nov 14 with 1359 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

The Great Escape. The only film you need to watch. Tells the whole story beautifully.
If you like war documentaries on 16:46 - Nov 14 with 1282 viewsTractorWood

Channel 5 also did a 3 part series on Henry VIII recently. It was down right excellent. Focused on Wolsey (HE'S ONE OF OUR OWN), Thomas Cromwell and gave really valuable insight.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

If you like war documentaries on 17:08 - Nov 14 with 1260 viewsCoastalblue

If you like war documentaries on 09:48 - Nov 14 by Plums

I’m a member of the Independent Co. it’s been a great source of interest during lockdown. Thoroughly enjoyed the audio books too.

Me too, it's a subject I would say I've had maybe a passing interest in up to now but the podcast is really engaging and I've learnt a hell of a lot and found my interest picqued about a lot of stuff.

I think the forthcoming book about the Sherwood Rangers could be a really interesting read, a year ago I wouldn't have had a clue who or what they were.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

If you like war documentaries on 18:37 - Nov 14 with 1220 viewsElephantintheRoom

If you like war documentaries on 08:54 - Nov 14 by eastangliaisblue

I've recently watched Berlin 1945 on BBC4. It's about the end days of the war solely in Berlin, using extracts from the diaries of Berliners and Russian, American, British soldiers etc. It's a superb documentary I highly recommend it.

The Russians lost more troops taking Berlin than Britain and the Aiies lost in the entire war [ which is a sobering thought. The fighting waspparticularly fierce taking Hitler's bunker - and when the dust settled and only 20 or so SS troops were left to surrender, some of the most fanatical fighters who fought on long after most German troops had surrendered.... the only survivors were....French.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

If you like war documentaries on 18:48 - Nov 14 with 1209 viewsPlums

If you like war documentaries on 17:08 - Nov 14 by Coastalblue

Me too, it's a subject I would say I've had maybe a passing interest in up to now but the podcast is really engaging and I've learnt a hell of a lot and found my interest picqued about a lot of stuff.

I think the forthcoming book about the Sherwood Rangers could be a really interesting read, a year ago I wouldn't have had a clue who or what they were.

That’s been my experience. A mate and I are buying and sharing books which has been great. I’ve just finished East West Street which is astonishing and am now starting on Operation Mincemeat.
I’m also researching my grandad’s wartime travels which is interesting. I’ve just made contact with the son of his best mate from 42-45; sharing their photos has been great.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.

If you like war documentaries on 19:11 - Nov 14 with 1195 viewslongtimefan

If you like war documentaries on 18:37 - Nov 14 by ElephantintheRoom

The Russians lost more troops taking Berlin than Britain and the Aiies lost in the entire war [ which is a sobering thought. The fighting waspparticularly fierce taking Hitler's bunker - and when the dust settled and only 20 or so SS troops were left to surrender, some of the most fanatical fighters who fought on long after most German troops had surrendered.... the only survivors were....French.

Although the Russians lost around 11 million troops during WW2 and were responsible for the vast majority of German losses in the war, I’m not sure I go along with your statement. My understanding was that the battle for Berlin cost 70000 Russian troops whereas the UK lost 340000 military personnel during the war.
If you like war documentaries on 19:50 - Nov 14 with 1169 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

If you like war documentaries on 18:48 - Nov 14 by Plums

That’s been my experience. A mate and I are buying and sharing books which has been great. I’ve just finished East West Street which is astonishing and am now starting on Operation Mincemeat.
I’m also researching my grandad’s wartime travels which is interesting. I’ve just made contact with the son of his best mate from 42-45; sharing their photos has been great.

Operation Mincemeat is an excellent read.
If you've not read The Spy and the Traitor, Rogue Heroes or Double Cross by the same author, i highly recommend them.

If you like war documentaries on 20:39 - Nov 14 with 1130 viewsMelford

If you like war documentaries on 18:48 - Nov 14 by Plums

I've ended up with a whole WW2 library, over 250 books and counting now. What started out as a shelf is now a bookcase and a half. I finish one, read the bibliography at the end, look the books up on Amazon and most of them are available secondhand for pennies.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

If you like war documentaries on 22:20 - Nov 14 with 1094 viewsChurchman

If you like war documentaries on 09:48 - Nov 14 by Plums

I’ve been thinking about joining that - following your post I’ll do so.

With regard to researching your grandad, good luck with that. Its extremely interesting and frustrating but particularly worthwhile. I did the same for my grandad who served in WW1 and while it was difficult as records are so few for that war for ‘other ranks’, there was plenty on the net and his divisional record, which I got from an online bookshop, and the his Field Company record which I got from Kew.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2020 22:26]
If you like war documentaries on 23:06 - Nov 14 with 1067 viewsPlums

If you like war documentaries on 22:20 - Nov 14 by Churchman

I’ve been thinking about joining that - following your post I’ll do so.

With regard to researching your grandad, good luck with that. Its extremely interesting and frustrating but particularly worthwhile. I did the same for my grandad who served in WW1 and while it was difficult as records are so few for that war for ‘other ranks’, there was plenty on the net and his divisional record, which I got from an online bookshop, and the his Field Company record which I got from Kew.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2020 22:26]

I’ve actually had a bit of a break through this evening.
He was an RAF photographer and I knew he went across to Normandy in ‘44 and I have a box of photos of his travels but have very little that’s operational. However, there’s one of lots of burning planes which has puzzled me. I’m now pretty sure after piecing some RAF info together from various sources that it’s Melsbroek airfield after Operation Bodenplatte and they’re probably burning Wellingtons. I’ve also confirmed what my mum has told me - that his unit was sent to Belsen to photograph what was discovered there. Thankfully I have none of those pictures...
[Post edited 14 Nov 2020 23:27]

If you like war documentaries on 23:35 - Nov 14 with 1050 viewsChurchman

If you like war documentaries on 23:06 - Nov 14 by Plums

He was an RAF photographer and I knew he went across to Normandy in ‘44 and I have a box of photos of his travels but have very little that’s operational. However, there’s one of lots of burning planes which has puzzled me. I’m now pretty sure after piecing some RAF info together from various sources that it’s Melsbroek airfield after Operation Bodenplatte and they’re probably burning Wellingtons. I’ve also confirmed what my mum has told me - that his unit was sent to Belsen to photograph what was discovered there. Thankfully I have none of those pictures...

Wow, that is some history. Photographers were often in places of danger for obvious reasons and many lost their lives, sadly. Brave men. How those who witnessed places like Belsen dealt with it, I’ll never know. As for Bodenplatte, it was the Luftwaffe’s last throw of the dice. Totally pointless and basically wiped out what was left of the German airforce. Allied losses were easily replaced. The pics could be of that, though why Wellingtons were there at that date (early 45), I’m not sure. Could they be pics of N Africa or Italy, where I know Wellingtons were used a not?
If you like war documentaries on 09:21 - Nov 15 with 985 viewseastangliaisblue

If you like war documentaries on 23:06 - Nov 14 by Plums

The news report by Richard Dimbleby about Belsen is something that I'll never be able to unsee, so can't imagine how it would of affected your Grandad.

The BBC at first refused to air it, until Richard Dimbleby threatened to quit if they didn't.
If you like war documentaries on 10:08 - Nov 15 with 956 viewsKeno

If you like war documentaries on 20:27 - Nov 13 by StochesStotasBlewe

She seems to be getting a little rebellious lately. Intercourse has always been the second Sunday of the month AFTER my Ovaltine has been consumed.

I,m definately moving us to Stepford.

take your pick

If you like war documentaries on 10:12 - Nov 15 with 952 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

If you like war documentaries on 10:08 - Nov 15 by Keno

take your pick

Any of the above.

Can i have more than 1?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024