Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chaos at Felixstowe port? 21:03 - Nov 14 with 3149 viewsOldsmoker

It seems Felixstowe port is having logistical problems which has caused 'chaos'.
According to this article its a combination of things and all of them seem plausible.
However, the second from last paragraph in quite a long article reminds us all that Chris Grayling is currently a director of the company that owns the port and it all becomes clear.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54908129
[Post edited 14 Nov 2020 21:05]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:12 - Nov 14 with 3088 viewslongtimefan

In this particular case the chaos precedes him. It’s been a known issue for a number of months but has only jusst hit the BBC.

https://theloadstar.com/the-shambles-that-is-felixstowe-port-is-costing-everyone

He’s also most definitely not a Director.
Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:16 - Nov 14 with 3071 viewsDubtractor

£100k for 7 hours a work a week. To Chris sodding Grayling.

Sums up how corrupt our political system is. No one pays that to Chris Grayling for his ability, its straightforward access to government to influence policy.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:26 - Nov 14 with 3043 viewsvapour_trail

This must be fake news. The vindicated element of the board advised us in 2016 that this was project fear, fearmongering.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:27 - Nov 14 with 3037 viewsDubtractor

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:26 - Nov 14 by vapour_trail

This must be fake news. The vindicated element of the board advised us in 2016 that this was project fear, fearmongering.

Just you wait, as soon as 2079 we will almost certainly be seeing some benefit from this.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:31 - Nov 14 with 3026 viewsvapour_trail

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:16 - Nov 14 by Dubtractor

£100k for 7 hours a work a week. To Chris sodding Grayling.

Sums up how corrupt our political system is. No one pays that to Chris Grayling for his ability, its straightforward access to government to influence policy.

It’s “around seven hours” in the same way that my appendage is “around seven feet long”.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:32 - Nov 14 with 3026 viewsOldsmoker

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:12 - Nov 14 by longtimefan

In this particular case the chaos precedes him. It’s been a known issue for a number of months but has only jusst hit the BBC.

https://theloadstar.com/the-shambles-that-is-felixstowe-port-is-costing-everyone

He’s also most definitely not a Director.

Quite right - he's not a director.
It's even worse, he's an advisor.
His experience of advice is ignore the good and embrace the bad.
He must have been given options when he was a government minister but instead he chose to believe the bad advice, spent taxpayers billions and created more problems. Probation, Railways,Ferries etc.
He's failed at pratically everything he's done in the last 5 years.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:37 - Nov 14 with 3015 viewslongtimefan

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:32 - Nov 14 by Oldsmoker

Quite right - he's not a director.
It's even worse, he's an advisor.
His experience of advice is ignore the good and embrace the bad.
He must have been given options when he was a government minister but instead he chose to believe the bad advice, spent taxpayers billions and created more problems. Probation, Railways,Ferries etc.
He's failed at pratically everything he's done in the last 5 years.

“ He's failed at pratically everything he's done in the last 5 years”

No argument there. As I said “In this particular case”.
Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:42 - Nov 14 with 3003 viewsNewcyBlue

I have contacts at the port, and have a bit of inside info.

When COVID hit and trade went down they used it as an opportunity to perform maintenance.

They’re hoping to be back up to full capacity in January with their deep water berths.

I know we have been preferring London Gateway as of late.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 10:06 - Nov 15 with 2607 viewsPinewoodblue

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:42 - Nov 14 by NewcyBlue

I have contacts at the port, and have a bit of inside info.

When COVID hit and trade went down they used it as an opportunity to perform maintenance.

They’re hoping to be back up to full capacity in January with their deep water berths.

I know we have been preferring London Gateway as of late.

Who would have thought there would be a spike in Imports with the prospect of no deal Brexit just around the corner.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 11:11 - Nov 15 with 2518 viewsPendejo

This can't help the situation;-

"Part of the problem is a shipment of 11,000 containers of PPE ordered by the government that is clogging up the port."

And

"For months, hauliers have complained about Felixstowe's Vehicle Booking System (VBS) which lorry drivers must use to gain ticketed entry to the port. Freight manager Mr Hudson says in recent weeks, the situation has become worse.

"There are more containers waiting on the port while all trucking companies are logging on trying to get a slot. Sometimes the port cancels some of the VBS [slots] when drivers are actually on port waiting," he said.

"We need to see improvement quickly. It's ruining a lot of people's businesses."

1. PPE seems to be quite an important product this year, you'd think some importance would be placed into shifting it away from the port to nearer the multiple sources of demand.

2. I worked in logistics for 16 years, if the system ain't working bin it temporarily and work on quick wins... E.g. Says pick up slots are cancelled even though pick up vehicle actually on site.
If the vehicle is there, let it take the container.

Empty and long term storage... Move it away from the port.

I'm sure there's a bureaucratic reason, that can't be overcome (where there's a will...) in the way.

Hey hi what do I know?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 11:21 - Nov 15 with 2505 viewsFootballpete

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 11:11 - Nov 15 by Pendejo

This can't help the situation;-

"Part of the problem is a shipment of 11,000 containers of PPE ordered by the government that is clogging up the port."

And

"For months, hauliers have complained about Felixstowe's Vehicle Booking System (VBS) which lorry drivers must use to gain ticketed entry to the port. Freight manager Mr Hudson says in recent weeks, the situation has become worse.

"There are more containers waiting on the port while all trucking companies are logging on trying to get a slot. Sometimes the port cancels some of the VBS [slots] when drivers are actually on port waiting," he said.

"We need to see improvement quickly. It's ruining a lot of people's businesses."

1. PPE seems to be quite an important product this year, you'd think some importance would be placed into shifting it away from the port to nearer the multiple sources of demand.

2. I worked in logistics for 16 years, if the system ain't working bin it temporarily and work on quick wins... E.g. Says pick up slots are cancelled even though pick up vehicle actually on site.
If the vehicle is there, let it take the container.

Empty and long term storage... Move it away from the port.

I'm sure there's a bureaucratic reason, that can't be overcome (where there's a will...) in the way.

Hey hi what do I know?

The problem at the port is simple, it is hugely under staffed. That’s why vessels take so long to discharge and that’s the reason for the lack of VBS.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 11:39 - Nov 15 with 2481 viewsPendejo

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 11:21 - Nov 15 by Footballpete

The problem at the port is simple, it is hugely under staffed. That’s why vessels take so long to discharge and that’s the reason for the lack of VBS.

Understaffing is easy enough to overcome, have had to deal with this type of problem many times.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 16:55 - Nov 15 with 2382 viewsTractorWood

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 11:39 - Nov 15 by Pendejo

Understaffing is easy enough to overcome, have had to deal with this type of problem many times.

Did I read somewhere they have furloughed loads of staff? Should probably get them back.

Maybe Grayling will advice them to build a £100 trillion tunnel to the Earth's core and hire a tree surgery company to do it.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 19:56 - Nov 15 with 2269 viewsstonojnr

Im surprised anyone on this board is well that suprised, as the Star have been documenting these problems for months, though hauliers claim its been going on for years.

You only have to go down to Languard point to see how many containers are stacked up, though space isnt the main problem, so much as having the workers on site to move the containers off the ships and off the dock or back on them, lots got furloughed, and its not the kind of job you can do from home.

and then you have the hauliers gaming the system by booking slots to try to cope and then the port cancelling them, so they try to book more, and it just descends into chaos.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/business/government-aware-of-port-of-felixsto
Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 12:00 - Dec 17 with 1875 viewsDubtractor

And here is the payback....

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-ports-grayling-labour-reeves_uk_5f

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 12:04 - Dec 17 with 1846 viewsFreddies_Ears

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 10:06 - Nov 15 by Pinewoodblue

Who would have thought there would be a spike in Imports with the prospect of no deal Brexit just around the corner.

You'd have thought their advisor, Failing Grayling, might have pointed that out...
Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 12:07 - Dec 17 with 1817 viewsDyland

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 21:31 - Nov 14 by vapour_trail

It’s “around seven hours” in the same way that my appendage is “around seven feet long”.

literal lollerama :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 12:07 - Dec 17 with 1816 viewsclive_baker

Every man and his dog is trying to get product in and out of the UK ahead of 1st Jan thanks to all the uncertainty Brexit / the government are causing.

There isn't a trailer in the country without stock on it, it's absolutely brutal out there. Last week the hauliers were naming their prices, this week you could have the deepest pockets and you're not getting a truck until Jan.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 12:08 - Dec 17 with 1814 viewsTIB

I know one beer company was expecting their twelve days of Xmas beer boxes to be here in October but they only arrived a week or so ago. A logistical and customer care nightmare!!!

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Chaos at Felixstowe port? on 12:30 - Dec 17 with 1765 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I am a driver, often in and out of Felixstowe.

Last Monday morning I did a short distance job. On completion of loading I messaged ahead asking for a 1pm VBS slot to lift off the container and lift one on to be in Huddersfield 0730 Tuesday morning.

Arrived Felixstowe 1250 not able to get a slot. Eventually, at 4:30 they gave me a slot. It was for 0200 hrs Tuesday morning. At 0200 I was done quickly and arrived Huddersfield just before 8 am, less than half an hour late.

Lost half a day of work and was pretty grumpy for most of Tuesday!

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024