Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oldest team in the league 12:32 - Nov 15 with 13421 viewsdingus

Oldest team in the league on 12:35 - Nov 15 with 4160 viewsJ2BLUE

Possibly skewed by having Chambers and Ward.

Also it might be a sign of the better off clubs having more experienced players as smaller clubs rely on academy products more?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Oldest team in the league on 12:35 - Nov 15 with 4159 viewsHerbivore

Can't be right. It's a long term project and Lambert is bullring for the future. He's putting the club in a much better place. I can't honestly believe that that's all a load of b0llocks that doesn't stack up to reality.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Oldest team in the league on 12:41 - Nov 15 with 4129 viewsjudespiveyg

Oldest team in the league on 12:35 - Nov 15 by Herbivore

Can't be right. It's a long term project and Lambert is bullring for the future. He's putting the club in a much better place. I can't honestly believe that that's all a load of b0llocks that doesn't stack up to reality.

In fairness though the spine of the team (Wolf, Dozzell, Bishop, Downes when fit) are young, while it's true we have old players (Ward and Chambers) in the side, it's arguably in the least important positions, I'm fairly sure Ward and skip are the only two regular starters over 30, particularly now Wilson and Norwood are reserves. This is no dad's army of Paul Jewell's era.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Oldest team in the league on 12:49 - Nov 15 with 4084 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Oldest team in the league on 12:41 - Nov 15 by judespiveyg

In fairness though the spine of the team (Wolf, Dozzell, Bishop, Downes when fit) are young, while it's true we have old players (Ward and Chambers) in the side, it's arguably in the least important positions, I'm fairly sure Ward and skip are the only two regular starters over 30, particularly now Wilson and Norwood are reserves. This is no dad's army of Paul Jewell's era.

They’re the only ones over 30 if you ignore Wilson, Judge and Sears...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Oldest team in the league on 12:51 - Nov 15 with 4084 viewsDanTheMan

Oldest team in the league on 12:49 - Nov 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Blimey, can't believe Sears is over 30.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Oldest team in the league on 12:53 - Nov 15 with 4077 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Not really a surprise - as per post above 5 players over 30 have started over half our games and a number of other regulars are in their upper 20’s (Edwards, Nolan, Holy, Nsiala, Hawkins)

Even those that are classed as youngsters aren’t really that young anymore - Bishop is 24. Woolf 22 and Dozzell and Downes 21

I expect there will be people lining up to insist it is in fact a young side though, despite it literally being statistically the oldest in the league
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 13:00]

Oldest team in the league on 12:53 - Nov 15 with 4068 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Oldest team in the league on 12:51 - Nov 15 by DanTheMan

Blimey, can't believe Sears is over 30.

He’s 31 in a couple of weeks

I kind of know what you mean though, until I remember that I remember him scoring on his West Ham debut and that being about 300 years ago!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 12:54]

Oldest team in the league on 12:59 - Nov 15 with 4051 viewsDanTheMan

Oldest team in the league on 12:53 - Nov 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He’s 31 in a couple of weeks

I kind of know what you mean though, until I remember that I remember him scoring on his West Ham debut and that being about 300 years ago!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 12:54]

He's only a few months older than me.

Maybe I just want to feel young...

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Oldest team in the league on 13:15 - Nov 15 with 3993 viewsjudespiveyg

Oldest team in the league on 12:49 - Nov 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I'd argue that Sears won't be a starter soon, with Lankester on the right and Edwards on the left surely being a better combo, I'll admit I'd forgotten about Sears and Judge though. My point still stands that the spine of the team is all under 25.
Wilson is currently our fourth choice centre half, fifth when KVY gets fit, so while he's started a few games, he'll no longer be trending the stats up.
I think in weeks to come with Lankester, Wolf and McGuiness getting more minutes than they did at the start of the season we'll see that average age come down.
Let's be thankful that Skuse isn't anywhere near the team to make the average age even older.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Oldest team in the league on 13:16 - Nov 15 with 3990 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 12:41 - Nov 15 by judespiveyg

Indeed. if you want to remove all nuance and context in order to have another stick to beat Lambert with, then yes we're the oldest team in the league.

In reality, Wilson (31) and Nsiala (28) wouldn't have started the season but for injuries.

KVY (24) would be playing if he hadn't been injured all season.

Downes (21) would've played every game but for the transfer bids and injury.

Jack Lankester (20) would've played way more if he wasn't being nursed back from injury.

I'd imagine our current first choice centre back pair is the youngest in this league, and possibly the entire football league.

But yeah, let's ignore all that. We're a team of OAPs.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Oldest team in the league on 13:18 - Nov 15 with 3978 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 12:53 - Nov 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not really a surprise - as per post above 5 players over 30 have started over half our games and a number of other regulars are in their upper 20’s (Edwards, Nolan, Holy, Nsiala, Hawkins)

Even those that are classed as youngsters aren’t really that young anymore - Bishop is 24. Woolf 22 and Dozzell and Downes 21

I expect there will be people lining up to insist it is in fact a young side though, despite it literally being statistically the oldest in the league
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 13:00]

It certainly is... if you remove all context and nuance.

In what world is 21 now not young?!? I must be close to death if 21's not young.

Oldest team in the league on 13:20 - Nov 15 with 3961 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 13:15 - Nov 15 by judespiveyg

I'd argue that Sears won't be a starter soon, with Lankester on the right and Edwards on the left surely being a better combo, I'll admit I'd forgotten about Sears and Judge though. My point still stands that the spine of the team is all under 25.
Wilson is currently our fourth choice centre half, fifth when KVY gets fit, so while he's started a few games, he'll no longer be trending the stats up.
I think in weeks to come with Lankester, Wolf and McGuiness getting more minutes than they did at the start of the season we'll see that average age come down.
Let's be thankful that Skuse isn't anywhere near the team to make the average age even older.

Indeed. It's a meaningless stat at this stage of the season.

But hey, anything we can beat Lambert with we might as well use it!

Oldest team in the league on 13:33 - Nov 15 with 3906 viewsjayessess

Oldest team in the league on 13:16 - Nov 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

Indeed. if you want to remove all nuance and context in order to have another stick to beat Lambert with, then yes we're the oldest team in the league.

In reality, Wilson (31) and Nsiala (28) wouldn't have started the season but for injuries.

Jack Lankester (20) would've played way more if he wasn't being nursed back from injury.

I'd imagine our current first choice centre back pair is the youngest in this league, and possibly the entire football league.

I mean, these are the teams that we've picked and they *are* full of older professionals. It's not like all these older squad players we have dropped from the sky, mostly Lambert signed them or gave them new contracts.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Oldest team in the league on 13:36 - Nov 15 with 3895 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 13:33 - Nov 15 by jayessess

I mean, these are the teams that we've picked and they *are* full of older professionals. It's not like all these older squad players we have dropped from the sky, mostly Lambert signed them or gave them new contracts.

Yeah, we have some experienced players, as most teams have. What's your point, caller? What's wrong in the post you're replying to, the CONTEXT of why we've played older players? Feel free to disagree with any of it.

Oldest team in the league on 13:43 - Nov 15 with 3887 viewsitfcjoe

No great surprise, for all Lambert claims the team is young it really isn't - especially in a League 1 contect where teams play teenagers week in week out

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Oldest team in the league on 13:46 - Nov 15 with 3866 viewsdingus

I think it shows that other teams are relying on kids as back up, where as we don't need to unless we want to. I can't see it moving significantly, we've got younger players to come back in sure, bit also the likes of Norwood and maybe skuse which will counter that.
Oldest team in the league on 13:51 - Nov 15 with 3850 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 13:43 - Nov 15 by itfcjoe

No great surprise, for all Lambert claims the team is young it really isn't - especially in a League 1 contect where teams play teenagers week in week out

See my context post above. If everyone's fit our first choice 11 is pretty young actually.

Oldest team in the league on 13:52 - Nov 15 with 3843 viewsjayessess

Oldest team in the league on 13:36 - Nov 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah, we have some experienced players, as most teams have. What's your point, caller? What's wrong in the post you're replying to, the CONTEXT of why we've played older players? Feel free to disagree with any of it.

More experienced than everybody else, evidently...

On what's wrong with the context post:

(a) If KVY were fit, Chambers would likely be playing centre half and McGuinness would still be at Arsenal.
(b) It'd depend who Downes would have played instead of, only in place of Nolan does he bring the age down much (and none of his sub appearances involved replacing Nolan).
(c) None of the wide forwards have been injured, Lambert chose to pick Edwards, Judge and Sears on merit.
(d) Injuries cut both ways, Norwood's injury resulted in more league minutes for the younger Hawkins and Drinan. Judge's niggle probably saw him miss games he'd otherwise have replaced a younger player in.
(e) It's a squad game. The age of your squad players isn't irrelevant to the future of your club.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Oldest team in the league on 13:53 - Nov 15 with 3845 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 13:46 - Nov 15 by dingus

I think it shows that other teams are relying on kids as back up, where as we don't need to unless we want to. I can't see it moving significantly, we've got younger players to come back in sure, bit also the likes of Norwood and maybe skuse which will counter that.

I agree the smaller teams are forced to use teenagers.

I disagree on Skuse coming back, unless we have a horrendous amount of injuries/suspensions in central midfield. He's nowhere near our first choice 11 now.

Oldest team in the league on 13:54 - Nov 15 with 3828 viewsBlueBadger

Oldest team in the league on 13:16 - Nov 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

Its the actually the youngest team in the division if you only look at the players the manager doesn't pick.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Oldest team in the league on 13:58 - Nov 15 with 3819 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 13:52 - Nov 15 by jayessess

More experienced than everybody else, evidently...

On what's wrong with the context post:

(a) If KVY were fit, Chambers would likely be playing centre half and McGuinness would still be at Arsenal.
(b) It'd depend who Downes would have played instead of, only in place of Nolan does he bring the age down much (and none of his sub appearances involved replacing Nolan).
(c) None of the wide forwards have been injured, Lambert chose to pick Edwards, Judge and Sears on merit.
(d) Injuries cut both ways, Norwood's injury resulted in more league minutes for the younger Hawkins and Drinan. Judge's niggle probably saw him miss games he'd otherwise have replaced a younger player in.
(e) It's a squad game. The age of your squad players isn't irrelevant to the future of your club.

Those are all fair points but I haven't contested any of them in my context post so I'm still not sure what's WRONG with my context post.

Also, the stat in the OP is about the team not the squad. So (e) is moving the goalposts.

Oldest team in the league on 13:59 - Nov 15 with 3816 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 13:54 - Nov 15 by BlueBadger

Its the actually the youngest team in the division if you only look at the players the manager doesn't pick.

Childish, as always.

Oldest team in the league on 14:13 - Nov 15 with 3782 viewsBlueBadger

Oldest team in the league on 13:59 - Nov 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

Childish, as always.

I'm not the one ignoring the facts here and going 'well actually' to defend a bloke who's constantly picking the ageing and largely ineffective Judge and Sears over Bennets and Dobra.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Oldest team in the league on 14:18 - Nov 15 with 3778 viewsPJH

Oldest team in the league on 13:51 - Nov 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

See my context post above. If everyone's fit our first choice 11 is pretty young actually.

What (or who) is our first choice 11?

If everyone was available, which is not likely to happen, not many people on here would pick the same 11 and I doubt if PL knows what his ideal first choice 11 would be from our current squad.
Oldest team in the league on 14:18 - Nov 15 with 3778 viewsitfcjoe

Oldest team in the league on 13:51 - Nov 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

Have you checked the rest of the league to see what their first choice XI is like? We are an older team at this level, and have 4 over 30s likely starting week in week out

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024