Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Only a year to go then ... 18:07 - Nov 15 with 696 viewsRyorry

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/health/live-coronavirus-yorkshire-leeds-kirk

* "Coronavirus vaccine innovator suggests return to normal by ‘winter next year'*

One of the scientists behind the first Covid-19 vaccine to clear interim clinical trials has said the impact of the jab will kick in next summer, and normality should return by next winter.

Professor Ugur Sahin, chief executive of BioNTech, said it was “absolutely essential” to have a high vaccination rate before autumn next year to ensure a return to normal life next winter.

He acknowledged that the next few months will be “hard” and that the promising preliminary results on the vaccine, created in partnership with Pfizer, will not have an impact on infection numbers in the current wave.

Interim results from the jab were found to be more than 90% effective, the two firms announced last week, but safety and additional efficacy data continue to be collected.
“If everything continues to go well, we will start to deliver the vaccine end of this year, beginning next year,” Prof Sahin told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show.

“Our goal is to deliver more than 300 million of vaccine doses until April next year, which could allow us to already start to make an impact. "

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Only a year to go then ... on 18:22 - Nov 15 with 646 viewsJ2BLUE

Not having a go but why listen to him when there are loads saying back to normal by Easter or by the summer?

We also have to acknowledge that the spring/summer is much, much easier than the winter. We are unlikely to have another year of the current misery.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Only a year to go then ... on 18:25 - Nov 15 with 632 viewsStokieBlue

Only a year to go then ... on 18:22 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

Not having a go but why listen to him when there are loads saying back to normal by Easter or by the summer?

We also have to acknowledge that the spring/summer is much, much easier than the winter. We are unlikely to have another year of the current misery.

Also worth bearing in mind this is a single vaccine. There are numerous other candidate vaccines which are just as promising including the Oxford vaccine.

I think being more like normal isn't going to happen until the summer and even then I can't see the harm in maintaining things like mask wearing right through next year - it's really no hardship at all to wear a mask in shops. It's even likely to be helpful over the winter as it's likely to help prevent the transmission of other viruses such as flu.

SB
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 18:27]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Only a year to go then ... on 18:28 - Nov 15 with 619 viewsHerbivore

Only a year to go then ... on 18:25 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

Also worth bearing in mind this is a single vaccine. There are numerous other candidate vaccines which are just as promising including the Oxford vaccine.

I think being more like normal isn't going to happen until the summer and even then I can't see the harm in maintaining things like mask wearing right through next year - it's really no hardship at all to wear a mask in shops. It's even likely to be helpful over the winter as it's likely to help prevent the transmission of other viruses such as flu.

SB

Hopefully things can get back to what they were in the summer by late Spring. That wasn't too far off normal with some sensible restrictions and guidance still in place. I'd happily take that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Only a year to go then ... on 18:31 - Nov 15 with 614 viewsJ2BLUE

SB

Agreed, I quite like wearing a mask. Has allowed me to avoid speaking to several people I would usually have been caught by.

Truly impaired.

Only a year to go then ... on 18:36 - Nov 15 with 599 viewsRyorry

Only a year to go then ... on 18:22 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

It's the one I heard - haven't heard the others, but would be very sceptical of "normality" by Easter, and I think even summer is a big stretch given the logistics of getting large numbers vaccinated - and the "competence" (ie disastrous bungling) of this Govt. so far ...

And I'm usually the world's biggest optimist! Would of course be delighted to be proved wrong, but that's my gut feeling.

Only a year to go then ... on 18:39 - Nov 15 with 588 viewsJ2BLUE

Only a year to go then ... on 18:36 - Nov 15 by Ryorry

It's the one I heard - haven't heard the others, but would be very sceptical of "normality" by Easter, and I think even summer is a big stretch given the logistics of getting large numbers vaccinated - and the "competence" (ie disastrous bungling) of this Govt. so far ...

And I'm usually the world's biggest optimist! Would of course be delighted to be proved wrong, but that's my gut feeling.

Well, as Stokie says, this isn't the only vaccine. So we can hope.

As for the government, they have done very well to secure those doses of the vaccine. Admittedly how it gets rolled out remains to be seen but we all know how muc Tories value the economy and 'freedom' so I would imagine Boris will be on the ball for this one to keep back benchers off his back.

Truly impaired.

Only a year to go then ... on 18:43 - Nov 15 with 578 viewsRyorry

Only a year to go then ... on 18:39 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

Well, as Stokie says, this isn't the only vaccine. So we can hope.

As for the government, they have done very well to secure those doses of the vaccine. Admittedly how it gets rolled out remains to be seen but we all know how muc Tories value the economy and 'freedom' so I would imagine Boris will be on the ball for this one to keep back benchers off his back.

Well, we all live in hope, but stuff like this is why I'll remain sceptical till it actually happens -

Only a year to go then ... on 19:19 - Nov 15 with 521 viewsAce_High1

SB

Mask wearing will now be a common item of clothing every winter just like a pair of gloves. As you say will help slow down the spread of colds/flu as well anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024