Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Essential reading on US race relations 13:10 - Nov 17 with 901 viewsDyland

and a blistering and brilliant polemic about voter suppression

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/17/trump-desperate-fight-stop-minor

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:21 - Nov 17 with 860 viewsMullet

I think the author will have joined the department after I was there, I don’t recognise his name, but that’s top stuff from the Sociology department at UoM I have to say. Cheers buh, a shame it’s too wordy for me to use in lessons.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:30 - Nov 17 with 843 viewsDyland

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:21 - Nov 17 by Mullet

I think the author will have joined the department after I was there, I don’t recognise his name, but that’s top stuff from the Sociology department at UoM I have to say. Cheers buh, a shame it’s too wordy for me to use in lessons.

Too wordy? Manc kids aren't dimmies ffs ;)

I especially liked this lyrical passage -

'As the South Carolina senator Lindsey Graham said at the Republican convention in 2012: “The demographics race we’re losing badly. We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

Trump defied that orthodoxy, doubling down on white supremacy, racist rhetoric and voter suppression. His 2016 victory, and his impressive showing this time, indicates that Republicans can stay in business with bigotry for the medium term. But its days are numbered. And in order to remain relevant, it must become ever more shrill, crude, discriminatory and exclusionary. Trump’s appeal is better understood not as a departure from the US’s racial politics, but as an intensification of it: bitter white whine in a new orange bottle. It is not yet clear whether the Republicans have an addiction problem.'

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:37 - Nov 17 with 833 viewsDinDjarin

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:30 - Nov 17 by Dyland

'As the South Carolina senator Lindsey Graham said at the Republican convention in 2012: “The demographics race we’re losing badly. We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

Trump defied that orthodoxy, doubling down on white supremacy, racist rhetoric and voter suppression. His 2016 victory, and his impressive showing this time, indicates that Republicans can stay in business with bigotry for the medium term. But its days are numbered. And in order to remain relevant, it must become ever more shrill, crude, discriminatory and exclusionary. Trump’s appeal is better understood not as a departure from the US’s racial politics, but as an intensification of it: bitter white whine in a new orange bottle. It is not yet clear whether the Republicans have an addiction problem.'

And yet his vote % of Blacks, Asians and Latinos increased in this election.
Essential reading on US race relations on 13:38 - Nov 17 with 824 viewsSteve_M

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:21 - Nov 17 by Mullet

Gary Younge was a Guardian correspondent in the US for years, then moved into academia a couple of years ago. For those reasons he's very good on the issues here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:39 - Nov 17 with 812 viewsMullet

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:30 - Nov 17 by Dyland

That and the n word unfortunately.

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:44 - Nov 17 with 797 viewsMullet

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:38 - Nov 17 by Steve_M

Gary Younge was a Guardian correspondent in the US for years, then moved into academia a couple of years ago. For those reasons he's very good on the issues here.

Makes sense. I have been trying to do some work with either uni to get them to engage with our kids so might try again and see if they fancy doing something post COVID

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:46 - Nov 17 with 794 viewsDyland

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:39 - Nov 17 by Mullet

That and the n word unfortunately.

Even when used in a reportage context like this?

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:47 - Nov 17 with 792 viewsDyland

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:37 - Nov 17 by DinDjarin

It's not so black and white is it, excuse the pun.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2020 13:47]

Login to get fewer ads

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:49 - Nov 17 with 788 viewsMullet

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:46 - Nov 17 by Dyland

Even when used in a reportage context like this?

Yeah. Mostly the kids love being talked to like adults and I can do enough to get around it, but we have had parents and kids complain about other staff even in context. But then again I once had to calm an irate parent down who thought we were teaching his daughter about prostitution.

It was a study in Jack the Ripper....

Essential reading on US race relations on 16:14 - Nov 17 with 707 viewsIllinoisblue

Essential reading on US race relations on 13:37 - Nov 17 by DinDjarin

It’s almost as if the U.S population has increased since 2016 and turnout was greater in this election

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Essential reading on US race relations on 16:44 - Nov 17 with 692 viewsDinDjarin

Essential reading on US race relations on 16:14 - Nov 17 by Illinoisblue

It’s almost as if the U.S population has increased since 2016 and turnout was greater in this election

So his % in those groups should have gone down then and not up if more blacks, asians and latinos were voting than 2016 but not voting for him?
Essential reading on US race relations on 16:57 - Nov 17 with 688 viewsDyland

Essential reading on US race relations on 16:44 - Nov 17 by DinDjarin

So his % in those groups should have gone down then and not up if more blacks, asians and latinos were voting than 2016 but not voting for him?

Is this what you have taken from the linked article?

No, it can still go up for Republican AND down as an overall percent across all black votes. I don't know the figures but I am wondering where you're going with this.

Essential reading on US race relations on 20:15 - Nov 17 with 646 viewssoupytwist

Essential reading on US race relations on 16:44 - Nov 17 by DinDjarin

There's some very interesting analysis of where and to what extent Trump increased his ethnic minority vote in this FT piece - https://www.ft.com/content/31a0273a-d745-4ed5-b497-c7c61c26e32d

Funnily enough, using generic terms such as blacks, asians and latinos doesn't tell the whole story. Also, given the electoral college system, where those votes are located is almost as important as how many of them you get.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024