Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday 14:45 - Nov 18 with 775 viewsDyland

I pray he is on the right side of history.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/jw74pd/michigan_man_has_some_wo

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 14:49 - Nov 18 with 754 viewsSpruceMoose

I appreciate his efforts but ration, fairness and facts are dead.

Trump and his cultists will go to their graves believing in their hearts that he won the election.

I keep reading and hearing that it's up to me to somehow reach out to people like them in order to unite the country. I'm yet to hear any guidance as to how I should do that.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 15:01 - Nov 18 with 724 viewsBluefish

I love it. Those are the conversations that should be taking place in this country too over government contract scandals and also on brexit

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 15:17 - Nov 18 with 706 viewsmonytowbray

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 15:01 - Nov 18 by Bluefish

I love it. Those are the conversations that should be taking place in this country too over government contract scandals and also on brexit

Those who were defending the sh1tshow in March/April aren't on here much anymore and those that were don't seem to pop up in the present similar threads.

Heads in sand, what do we do about it? You can lead a horse to water...

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 15:54 - Nov 18 with 664 viewsjaykay

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 15:17 - Nov 18 by monytowbray

Those who were defending the sh1tshow in March/April aren't on here much anymore and those that were don't seem to pop up in the present similar threads.

defending this sh1tshow? i believe they were vocal in canvasing this shower

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 16:04 - Nov 18 with 652 viewsTJS

I'm not totally comfortable with this 'voter suppression' term that keeps get used.
If you can't be bothered to confirm your address when asked or check whether you are registered to vote in an election year is your vote really being suppressed ?
I think it is law here to respond to the electoral roll reminder but I don't know about the US.
Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 16:07 - Nov 18 with 642 viewsBlueBadger

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 15:17 - Nov 18 by monytowbray

In all fairness, most of the worst of them have been banned for violations of T&C's..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 16:07 - Nov 18 with 643 viewsSpruceMoose

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 16:04 - Nov 18 by TJS

I'm not totally comfortable with this 'voter suppression' term that keeps get used.
If you can't be bothered to confirm your address when asked or check whether you are registered to vote in an election year is your vote really being suppressed ?
I think it is law here to respond to the electoral roll reminder but I don't know about the US.

The flip side of that is why would you want to make it hard for people to vote? And let's be honest, it's never about making it harder for white affluent people to vote is it?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 16:22 - Nov 18 with 632 viewsTJS

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 16:07 - Nov 18 by SpruceMoose

The flip side of that is why would you want to make it hard for people to vote? And let's be honest, it's never about making it harder for white affluent people to vote is it?

I'm not sure it is any harder to vote in the US than it is here or in any other western democracy.
If you live in a democratic country it comes with a responsibility to expend a minimal amount of effort to confirm you live in the area you intend to vote in.
This is a basic requirement to maintain the integrity of the process.
Login to get fewer ads

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 16:40 - Nov 18 with 608 viewsSpruceMoose

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 16:22 - Nov 18 by TJS

I'm not sure it is any harder to vote in the US than it is here or in any other western democracy.
If you live in a democratic country it comes with a responsibility to expend a minimal amount of effort to confirm you live in the area you intend to vote in.

Well, you're wrong about that I think. It's not a case of being too lazy to pop online and confirm your details. The US system allows some states to make you (well certain people) go out of your way to vote.

Take Texas for example. 30 day voter registration deadlines, massively reducing numbers of polling stations in some (Black) areas of the state, strict voter ID laws, awful complicated absentee voting processes or a lack of early voting options. They may be the worst state but they aren't alone on making it as hard as possible for poor and minority people to vote.

If you can tell me a valid reason for not letting people register to vote within thirty days of an election, for removing polling stations, for limiting access to mail in vote drop off boxes, for requiring an 'excuse' to vote absentee, or requiring absentee ballots to be notarised that isn't Judy to make it harder for some people to vote then I'd be shocked. Remember, there is zero evidence that easier voting makes elections less secure - none, zip, nada.

We need to be making it easier for everyone to vote, not harder for select people.

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 16:57 - Nov 18 with 602 viewsDyland

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 16:04 - Nov 18 by TJS

More to it than that? Good article here e.g. -

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/17/trump-desperate-fight-stop-minor

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 17:32 - Nov 18 with 585 viewsClapham_Junction

Following on from the voter suppression post yesterday on 16:22 - Nov 18 by TJS

Here's a primer: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54240651

One thing I remember about the 2000 election was that thousands of (mostly black and Democratic voting) voters were removed from the voter roll in Florida because they had names similar to convicted felons (who are not allowed to vote in the state). Bush 'won' the state by less than 550 votes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024