Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RoI v Bulgaria 22:26 - Nov 18 with 2756 viewsEireannach_gorm

Put this in the Football Thread because there is a football on the pitch.
RoI v Bulgaria on 22:46 - Nov 18 with 2305 viewsitfcjoe

Another game without a goal, this new manager and his attacking style is going well....7 games now isn’t it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

RoI v Bulgaria on 23:30 - Nov 18 with 2250 viewsvapour_trail

RoI v Bulgaria on 22:46 - Nov 18 by itfcjoe

Another game without a goal, this new manager and his attacking style is going well....7 games now isn’t it

BCWYWF.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

RoI v Bulgaria on 23:37 - Nov 18 with 2246 viewsStNeotsBlue

RoI v Bulgaria on 22:46 - Nov 18 by itfcjoe

They weren't tearing up trees under MMc either though, there is a real dearth of quality coming through and it was an aging squad I think they've got a tough few years ahead. I don't think anyone could do much with what they've got available at the moment.
RoI v Bulgaria on 00:39 - Nov 19 with 2196 viewsjeera

Just had the highlights on, not that there were many of those.

A few [half] chances either end but wtf was Randolph thinking trying to play the ball about in front of a striker?

And how did Bulgaria not get a goal from that!?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

RoI v Bulgaria on 07:05 - Nov 19 with 2096 viewsSitfcB

RoI v Bulgaria on 23:37 - Nov 18 by StNeotsBlue

They weren't tearing up trees under MMc either though, there is a real dearth of quality coming through and it was an aging squad I think they've got a tough few years ahead. I don't think anyone could do much with what they've got available at the moment.

Weren’t tearing up trees but they were scoring and picking up points!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

RoI v Bulgaria on 07:31 - Nov 19 with 2067 viewsKeaneish

RoI v Bulgaria on 07:05 - Nov 19 by SitfcB

Weren’t tearing up trees but they were scoring and picking up points!

A lot of the Irish fans I watch their games with are quite accepting of the fact they’ve been terrible under their last three managers. The blame from them lies firmly with O’Neill given the youth talent he let slip through the net and the woeful football they played. They recognise MM had a difficult task but did nothing to improve Irish football long term so Kenny is going to get a long lease of life to do a major rebuild.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

RoI v Bulgaria on 07:34 - Nov 19 with 2063 viewsitfcjoe

RoI v Bulgaria on 07:31 - Nov 19 by Keaneish

A lot of the Irish fans I watch their games with are quite accepting of the fact they’ve been terrible under their last three managers. The blame from them lies firmly with O’Neill given the youth talent he let slip through the net and the woeful football they played. They recognise MM had a difficult task but did nothing to improve Irish football long term so Kenny is going to get a long lease of life to do a major rebuild.

They haven’t scored a goal in seven games under Kenny, lost in Euro play off, nearly got relegated from Nations League group and have seen world ranking fall dropping them into next pot and thus making WC Qualifying more difficult

It’s fine to think Manager is going to get long term to sort things out, but if they are that bad they just won’t - Irish FA can’t allow someone to struggle as badly as he is doing, especially when they will need to be selling out the Aviva post Covid to try and make some money, who is going to go and watch such a boring side in what will become nothing games?

RoI v Bulgaria on 08:02 - Nov 19 with 2019 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

RoI v Bulgaria on 23:37 - Nov 18 by StNeotsBlue

Under Mick McCarthy: P10, W5, D4, L1, F13, A7
Since Mick McCarthy: P8, W0, D4, L4, F1, A7

‘Not tearing up any trees’...other than winning a lot more, losing a lot less, scoring a lot more and conceding less, of course

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

RoI v Bulgaria on 08:17 - Nov 19 with 2002 viewsDanTheMan

RoI v Bulgaria on 08:02 - Nov 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

‘Not tearing up any trees’...other than winning a lot more, losing a lot less, scoring a lot more and conceding less, of course

Yeah but winning isn't that important in football. Or scoring really.

What it's all about is watching centre backs pass it to each over for 95% of the game so everyone can get perpetual anxiety when they're closed down.

That's the stuff we can all really enjoy.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

RoI v Bulgaria on 09:33 - Nov 19 with 1948 viewsMoriarty

RoI v Bulgaria on 08:17 - Nov 19 by DanTheMan

What it's all about is watching centre backs pass it to each over for 95% of the game so everyone can get perpetual anxiety when they're closed down.

Here’s an example of the long ball and the boredom and frustration of the fans. Look at them closely. Bored to tears. O’Neill had the cheek to qualify for Euros where we beat Italy. How boring and dull was that? Look at the crowd. Boredom personified.

fka omuircheartaigh

RoI v Bulgaria on 09:41 - Nov 19 with 1938 viewsJakeITFC

One goal in nine games since I took up my Irish citizenship at the start of the year.

Sorry.
RoI v Bulgaria on 09:47 - Nov 19 with 1934 viewsEireannach_gorm

My post on the England = Ipswich thread comparing RoI with Ipswich mentions this.

The only difference is that I think Kenny is a good manager and things are going in the right direction. Unlike club football he cannot buy in better players.Will give him another season!
RoI v Bulgaria on 10:36 - Nov 19 with 1900 viewsKeaneish

RoI v Bulgaria on 07:34 - Nov 19 by itfcjoe

They haven’t scored a goal in seven games under Kenny, lost in Euro play off, nearly got relegated from Nations League group and have seen world ranking fall dropping them into next pot and thus making WC Qualifying more difficult

It’s fine to think Manager is going to get long term to sort things out, but if they are that bad they just won’t - Irish FA can’t allow someone to struggle as badly as he is doing, especially when they will need to be selling out the Aviva post Covid to try and make some money, who is going to go and watch such a boring side in what will become nothing games?

They’ve been struggling to score under the last three managers, it’s not just Kenny and that largely comes down to personnel. Truth is, ROI have nothing to select from. McGokdrick and Connolly is arguably their most potent attacking force!

I think how badly Kenny is going shouldn’t be looked at in isolation, it should be judged in light of the significant failings since Kerr, which the Irish FA have to shoulder blame for.

RoI v Bulgaria on 10:39 - Nov 19 with 1893 viewsKeaneish

That only happens to me when Nsiala and Wilson play as a pair.

RoI v Bulgaria on 10:40 - Nov 19 with 1895 viewsitfcjoe

RoI v Bulgaria on 10:36 - Nov 19 by Keaneish

They’ve been struggling to score under the last three managers, it’s not just Kenny and that largely comes down to personnel. Truth is, ROI have nothing to select from. McGokdrick and Connolly is arguably their most potent attacking force!

I think how badly Kenny is going shouldn’t be looked at in isolation, it should be judged in light of the significant failings since Kerr, which the Irish FA have to shoulder blame for.

There's struggling to score, and then there is simply not being able to score - they scored in his 1st game but not in any of the 7 since - that sort of record is probably there all time record

McGoldrick has just retired, and they don't have goals in them......but that didn't stop loads of threads on here saying how boring they are under McCarthy when he was setting them up to their strengths to try and qualify for the Euro's.

They have big issues re talent, but unless Kenny can get some better results soon he will be gone no matter what has been said re a long term plan

RoI v Bulgaria on 11:06 - Nov 19 with 1863 viewsMoriarty

RoI v Bulgaria on 09:47 - Nov 19 by Eireannach_gorm

My post on the England = Ipswich thread comparing RoI with Ipswich mentions this.

The only difference is that I think Kenny is a good manager and things are going in the right direction. Unlike club football he cannot buy in better players.Will give him another season!

I must say I think he’s completely out of his depth. A rabbit in headlights.

There are extenuating circumstances however.

fka omuircheartaigh

RoI v Bulgaria on 11:50 - Nov 19 with 1843 viewsKeaneish

RoI v Bulgaria on 10:40 - Nov 19 by itfcjoe

There's struggling to score, and then there is simply not being able to score - they scored in his 1st game but not in any of the 7 since - that sort of record is probably there all time record

McGoldrick has just retired, and they don't have goals in them......but that didn't stop loads of threads on here saying how boring they are under McCarthy when he was setting them up to their strengths to try and qualify for the Euro's.

They have big issues re talent, but unless Kenny can get some better results soon he will be gone no matter what has been said re a long term plan

I think Kenny will get a longer crack at this than many think. They had 19 unavailable for selection last night and three on the bench from Shamrock Rovers.

McCarthy’s pragmatism served a purpose but I think even most ROI fans would readily admit they only really played well and were worthy of acknowledgement in qualifying versus Denmark at home. There wasn’t much on the pitch to be too enthused about despite securing some gritty, dogged points.

From Gibraltar away to Denmark at home McCarthy opted for more experience and seniority throughout - not one player below the age of 25 in his first team selection. Kenny had two players over the age of 30 last night - whether enforced or not, there’s a definite change of approach both philosophically and practically. Whether it’ll pay dividends in time is questionable.

RoI v Bulgaria on 12:24 - Nov 19 with 1801 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

RoI v Bulgaria on 10:36 - Nov 19 by Keaneish

So just to be clear, when they scored 13 goals in 10 games under McCarthy it was ‘boo, look how boring McCarthy is’ but when they’ve scored 1 goal in 8 games under his successor it’s because they don’t have the players?

RoI v Bulgaria on 12:32 - Nov 19 with 1791 viewsKeaneish

RoI v Bulgaria on 12:24 - Nov 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So just to be clear, when they scored 13 goals in 10 games under McCarthy it was ‘boo, look how boring McCarthy is’ but when they’ve scored 1 goal in 8 games under his successor it’s because they don’t have the players?

And where have I written that? You need to read the lines, not between them and make stuff up.

RoI v Bulgaria on 13:46 - Nov 19 with 1728 viewsDanTheMan

RoI v Bulgaria on 10:39 - Nov 19 by Keaneish

That only happens to me when Nsiala and Wilson play as a pair.

Yeah, basically non stop total football when they're not.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

RoI v Bulgaria on 13:49 - Nov 19 with 1720 viewsKeaneish

RoI v Bulgaria on 13:46 - Nov 19 by DanTheMan

Yeah, basically non stop total football when they're not.

I’d take Wolfenden and Chambers or McGuiness any day over those two. Would save me waiting for the inevitable rogue pass to an opposing striker or winger.

RoI v Bulgaria on 14:03 - Nov 19 with 1705 viewsVaughan8

RoI v Bulgaria on 08:02 - Nov 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Lets put the wins in perspective though.

2 vs Gibraltar (1 and 2 nil! haha)
And 1 vs new zealand in a friendly? COme on

The other 2 vs Georgia and Bulgaria (friendly) at home.

Also, They've mostly only played Nations League which as much as you want to big it up, is just glorified firendlies.

I get their record is poor. No goals in 7 games is awful! But the record before wasn't that great and i'm sure Mick wasn't picking people for the future. Their team doesn't really have any big names anymore. they are probably the level of a Mid Champinship team.

Mick does grind out results which maybe this coach hasn't mastered yet. I haven't watched their games, Is he trying the tippy tappy stuff like most other teams?
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 14:04]
RoI v Bulgaria on 14:45 - Nov 19 with 1669 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

RoI v Bulgaria on 12:32 - Nov 19 by Keaneish

And where have I written that? You need to read the lines, not between them and make stuff up.

You’ve been on here after pretty much every Ireland game in the last 2 years criticising McCarthy and lack of goals under his command, including those games in which they won

And now it’s suddenly down to them not having the players (which is actually correct, you got there in the end) when his replacement has achieved far worse results, and overseen them failing to score in 7 (SEVEN) consecutive games

RoI v Bulgaria on 14:55 - Nov 19 with 1660 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

RoI v Bulgaria on 14:03 - Nov 19 by Vaughan8

Lets put the wins in perspective though.

2 vs Gibraltar (1 and 2 nil! haha)
And 1 vs new zealand in a friendly? COme on

The other 2 vs Georgia and Bulgaria (friendly) at home.

Also, They've mostly only played Nations League which as much as you want to big it up, is just glorified firendlies.

I get their record is poor. No goals in 7 games is awful! But the record before wasn't that great and i'm sure Mick wasn't picking people for the future. Their team doesn't really have any big names anymore. they are probably the level of a Mid Champinship team.

Mick does grind out results which maybe this coach hasn't mastered yet. I haven't watched their games, Is he trying the tippy tappy stuff like most other teams?
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 14:04]

I’m not sure pointing out the Nations League is a glorified friendly competition is quite the argument you think it is - to have failed to score or get a win in that many friendly games is shocking. It’s hardly like they’ve been playing world beaters since either, England aside

If only there was some sort of common opponent like Bulgaria to compare results against

RoI v Bulgaria on 15:13 - Nov 19 with 1639 viewsKeaneish

RoI v Bulgaria on 14:45 - Nov 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You’ve been on here after pretty much every Ireland game in the last 2 years criticising McCarthy and lack of goals under his command, including those games in which they won

And now it’s suddenly down to them not having the players (which is actually correct, you got there in the end) when his replacement has achieved far worse results, and overseen them failing to score in 7 (SEVEN) consecutive games

I discussed this in maybe two threads over the last few years and it was objective criticism about the plight of Irish football, some of that is about performances.

You seem to want to turn every thread which mentions McCarthy into a polarising pro or anti MM debate. If you actually read my posts I’ve touched upon 4 ROI managers not just McCarthy. The blame for their demise is wide spread, not once have I explicitly singled McCarthy out for this.

It’s OK to share views objectively without the need for a polarised argument. Anyway, back to the interesting objective chat about ROI. ITFCJOE, feel free to carry on with your views, which I find interesting, this guy’s an idiot.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024