Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) 11:04 - Nov 19 with 4772 viewsBluefish

Well said

Bound to not be controversial on here at all

Do naughty words count if they are not towards the manager? In fact those were even naughty words, they were just letters

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:09 - Nov 19 with 2308 viewsHerbivore

I wonder what the edit will be? I'd go with:

You scumbag, you maggot,
You're no Elkan Baggott.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:13 - Nov 19 with 2288 viewsBluefish

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:09 - Nov 19 by Herbivore

You scumbag, you maggot,
You're no Elkan Baggott.

Well he has a lot of followers

There is a Michael Owen tweet that says just ran over a rabbit that some people have suggested

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:18 - Nov 19 with 2277 viewsSwansea_Blue

I find the whole thing thoroughly bizarre and struggle to care tbh. Some people whining about the inclusion of the word, yet seemingly not worried about her wishing death on someone. And then other people whining about the people who are whining about the word.

2020 eh. What a time to be alive

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:22 - Nov 19 with 2254 viewsHerbivore

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:18 - Nov 19 by Swansea_Blue

I find the whole thing thoroughly bizarre and struggle to care tbh. Some people whining about the inclusion of the word, yet seemingly not worried about her wishing death on someone. And then other people whining about the people who are whining about the word.

2020 eh. What a time to be alive

It's a bit of an odd one, the word is in there precisely because it's an offensive word. If it genuinely upsets the gay community then I have no issue with it being removed either, but I do wonder where it all ends.

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:34 - Nov 19 with 2220 viewshomer_123

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:22 - Nov 19 by Herbivore

It's a bit of an odd one, the word is in there precisely because it's an offensive word. If it genuinely upsets the gay community then I have no issue with it being removed either, but I do wonder where it all ends.

No one seems remotely bothered that it's an alcoholic and heroine addict having an argument though. Merry Xmas one and all.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:34 - Nov 19 with 2206 viewsHerbivore

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:34 - Nov 19 by homer_123

No one seems remotely bothered that it's an alcoholic and heroine addict having an argument though. Merry Xmas one and all.

Isn't that the true meaning of Christmas?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:35 - Nov 19 with 2201 viewshomer_123

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:34 - Nov 19 by Herbivore

Isn't that the true meaning of Christmas?

Quite possibly.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:36 - Nov 19 with 2206 viewsLankHenners

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:22 - Nov 19 by Herbivore

Yeah, the context for its usage is pretty clear in the song, but I get that hearing what is obviously a homophobic slur on the radio would make people uncomfortable, to put it mildly.

As I've seen others point out, the crown for 'most patronising and insensitive lyrics in a Christmas song' firmly belongs to 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' which certainly makes me cringe a bit whenever it comes on the radio.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:37 - Nov 19 with 2194 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:34 - Nov 19 by homer_123

An alchie and drugs riddled addict wishing death on someone is so 2020 though.

Merry fkn Xmas

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:38 - Nov 19 with 2192 viewsitfcjoe

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:09 - Nov 19 by Herbivore

You scumbag, you maggot,
You're no Elkan Baggott.

There is a version I've heard where it changes to "you're cheap and you're haggered" so guess it will be that sadly rather than the next big thing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:05 - Nov 19 with 2128 viewsSteve_M

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:36 - Nov 19 by LankHenners

Yeah, the context for its usage is pretty clear in the song, but I get that hearing what is obviously a homophobic slur on the radio would make people uncomfortable, to put it mildly.

As I've seen others point out, the crown for 'most patronising and insensitive lyrics in a Christmas song' firmly belongs to 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' which certainly makes me cringe a bit whenever it comes on the radio.

Well, quite and that's before considering the crimes against music in DTKIC.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:07 - Nov 19 with 2123 viewsBluefish

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:05 - Nov 19 by Steve_M

Pray for the other ones mate

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:08 - Nov 19 with 2112 viewsHerbivore

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 11:38 - Nov 19 by itfcjoe

There is a version I've heard where it changes to "you're cheap and you're haggered" so guess it will be that sadly rather than the next big thing

I've heard that one too, but rather hoped my suggestion might get some traction.

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:17 - Nov 19 with 2081 viewsSteve_M

A particularly pertinent point on the manufactured outrage (elsewhere not here) on this:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:21 - Nov 19 with 2065 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I’m gonna say it.. the world has gone mad.

It’s a word in a song ffs.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:26 - Nov 19 with 2039 viewsHerbivore

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:21 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Old before your time, Rommers.

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:29 - Nov 19 with 2038 viewsitfcjoe

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:21 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

It's a word that is now offensive, there is a version of it without that word in it - why not just use that one?

If a Xmas song had the N word in it from years ago you surely wouldn't expect it to go out in the day on the radio?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:36 - Nov 19 with 2010 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:29 - Nov 19 by itfcjoe

It's a word that is now offensive, there is a version of it without that word in it - why not just use that one?

If a Xmas song had the N word in it from years ago you surely wouldn't expect it to go out in the day on the radio?

Fair point.

‘Faggot’ was used as an insult in the song though. The context is a deliberate insult to the bloke in the song. To remove the word, when it’s being used as an insult deliberately just seems unnecessary.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:45 - Nov 19 with 1982 viewsClapham_Junction

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:36 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Fair point.

‘Faggot’ was used as an insult in the song though. The context is a deliberate insult to the bloke in the song. To remove the word, when it’s being used as an insult deliberately just seems unnecessary.

The problem is that the insult in question is an accusation of being gay, the implication being that this is a bad thing. That's what makes it a problem, not the fact that it's a generic insult.
Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:45 - Nov 19 with 1978 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:29 - Nov 19 by itfcjoe

The pre-watershed version is often used in fairness. Which is why I find it a bit of a strange argument. Fair enough if people in the gay community are genuinely offended though - doesn't hurt anyone to be considerate does it? It's the culture warification of it that I find most depressing I suppose.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 12:46]

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:52 - Nov 19 with 1958 viewsHerbivore

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:45 - Nov 19 by Clapham_Junction

The problem is that the insult in question is an accusation of being gay, the implication being that this is a bad thing. That's what makes it a problem, not the fact that it's a generic insult.

This is true, but in some respects I'd find it more problematic if the song just used the word "gay" as an insult. Faggott is a nasty and offensive word, but is the insult meant to be that he is gay or is she just using a nasty and offensive word? I think it's a bit of a grey area, but have no issue with it being edited if it does cause offence to the gay community.

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:54 - Nov 19 with 1954 viewsLankHenners

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:36 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Fair point.

Whilst I think it's a fair argument that the context of its usage justifies its inclusion in the lyrics in the first place, it's another thing to say it should be played out during the day on mainstream radio, where doing so would contravene Ofcom's code of conduct for material which includes derogatory language.

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:56 - Nov 19 with 1947 viewsLankHenners

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:05 - Nov 19 by Steve_M

Indeed. If a Christmas song is going to be bad it should be cheesy so people can enjoy it with a big slice of irony, rather than just straight up awful.

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:58 - Nov 19 with 1936 viewsSwansea_Blue

What makes this all even worse of course, is that this song is seen as a problem, yet we still have to listen to Noddy Holder non stop each year

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:02 - Nov 19 with 1913 viewsBluefish

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:54 - Nov 19 by LankHenners

Whilst I think it's a fair argument that the context of its usage justifies its inclusion in the lyrics in the first place, it's another thing to say it should be played out during the day on mainstream radio, where doing so would contravene Ofcom's code of conduct for material which includes derogatory language.

A fair argument? It is a horrendous argument

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024