Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) 11:04 - Nov 19 with 4762 viewsBluefish

Well said

Bound to not be controversial on here at all

Do naughty words count if they are not towards the manager? In fact those were even naughty words, they were just letters

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:03 - Nov 19 with 1714 viewsitfcjoe

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:36 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Fair point.

‘Faggot’ was used as an insult in the song though. The context is a deliberate insult to the bloke in the song. To remove the word, when it’s being used as an insult deliberately just seems unnecessary.

Again though, if it is any other word that is effectively on the 'banned' list, whatever the context it's going to go - whether it be bleeped out or a differnt version used

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:06 - Nov 19 with 1712 viewsLankHenners

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:02 - Nov 19 by Bluefish

A fair argument? It is a horrendous argument

As in fair enough that someone could say a song written in the 80s where the narrative is two people having a slanging match which includes a derogatory word was justifiable at the time it was written.

I'm not saying 'it's fair enough that that word is included', I'm saying it's fair enough to make that argument.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:07 - Nov 19 with 1694 viewshype313

It gets earlier each year, the argument around this, and is Die Hard a Christmas film.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:10 - Nov 19 with 1679 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:07 - Nov 19 by hype313

It gets earlier each year, the argument around this, and is Die Hard a Christmas film.

So that's the debate settled. "Clean' version it is then 🌈

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:12 - Nov 19 with 1669 viewsHerbivore

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:06 - Nov 19 by LankHenners

As in fair enough that someone could say a song written in the 80s where the narrative is two people having a slanging match which includes a derogatory word was justifiable at the time it was written.

I'm not saying 'it's fair enough that that word is included', I'm saying it's fair enough to make that argument.

Indeed. In fact if you wanted to accurately represent a slanging match between slightly unhinged alcoholics/drug addicts even in more modern times then it's a word you might use in that context. I rewatched Whiplash the other day and the amount of times the lead character gets called the 'F' word is eye watering and that was made less than a decade ago. I have no issue with the word being censored from radio play of the song, but I don't know how I feel about a blanket ban on certain offensive words in all contexts. I'm not sure you could make a film like American History X without using the 'N' word.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:15 - Nov 19 with 1665 viewsPhilTWTD

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:52 - Nov 19 by Herbivore

This is true, but in some respects I'd find it more problematic if the song just used the word "gay" as an insult. Faggott is a nasty and offensive word, but is the insult meant to be that he is gay or is she just using a nasty and offensive word? I think it's a bit of a grey area, but have no issue with it being edited if it does cause offence to the gay community.

To add a bit of further context, Pogues guitarist Philip Chevron was openly gay.

I think on the one hand a character in a song making an offensive comment - and even in 1987 I can remember faggot being controversial - is different to homophobic sloganeering. But equally I can see why people wouldn't want to hear a homophobic word every 10 minutes on the radio for the whole of December.
Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:17 - Nov 19 with 1655 viewsBluefish

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:12 - Nov 19 by Herbivore

Indeed. In fact if you wanted to accurately represent a slanging match between slightly unhinged alcoholics/drug addicts even in more modern times then it's a word you might use in that context. I rewatched Whiplash the other day and the amount of times the lead character gets called the 'F' word is eye watering and that was made less than a decade ago. I have no issue with the word being censored from radio play of the song, but I don't know how I feel about a blanket ban on certain offensive words in all contexts. I'm not sure you could make a film like American History X without using the 'N' word.

We are a million miles away though by comparing historically sognificant films and Christmas tunes. Again the bigger issue is not the word being in there, the bigger issue is people getting upset about it being removed. I don't really mind either way. If the word f*** was in an old song it would be removed today

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:17 - Nov 19 with 1648 viewsHerbivore

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:15 - Nov 19 by PhilTWTD

To add a bit of further context, Pogues guitarist Philip Chevron was openly gay.

I think on the one hand a character in a song making an offensive comment - and even in 1987 I can remember faggot being controversial - is different to homophobic sloganeering. But equally I can see why people wouldn't want to hear a homophobic word every 10 minutes on the radio for the whole of December.

Yeah, this is kind of where I'm at with it too.

Login to get fewer ads

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:19 - Nov 19 with 1645 viewshype313

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:15 - Nov 19 by PhilTWTD

Your last sentence sums it up for me.

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:22 - Nov 19 with 1635 viewsfooters

Die Hard is definitely a Christmas film. As is Rambo First Blood considering how many years it's been on recently.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:23 - Nov 19 with 1622 viewshomer_123

Die Hard is is the number 1 Xmas film.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:24 - Nov 19 with 1617 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:23 - Nov 19 by homer_123

Number 1 Winterval film you mean

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:24 - Nov 19 with 1617 viewsMonkeyAlan

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 12:29 - Nov 19 by itfcjoe

It's a word that is now offensive, there is a version of it without that word in it - why not just use that one?

If a Xmas song had the N word in it from years ago you surely wouldn't expect it to go out in the day on the radio?

It's a fckuing good song. Leave it at that. Jesus 2020, what a time to be alive. Get a blo0dy life. People on this site, just looking for the next PC thing to jump on.
Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:25 - Nov 19 with 1613 viewsHerbivore

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:17 - Nov 19 by Bluefish

We are a million miles away though by comparing historically sognificant films and Christmas tunes. Again the bigger issue is not the word being in there, the bigger issue is people getting upset about it being removed. I don't really mind either way. If the word f*** was in an old song it would be removed today

I agree that anyone being upset about it being removed needs to give their head a wobble and it definitely shouldn't be in pre-watershed.

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:25 - Nov 19 with 1611 viewshomer_123

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:24 - Nov 19 by Swansea_Blue

Number 1 Winterval film you mean

How about the No 1 late December early Jan film?

Winterval isn't right, now global warming has happened.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:27 - Nov 19 with 1601 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:24 - Nov 19 by MonkeyAlan

It's a fckuing good song. Leave it at that. Jesus 2020, what a time to be alive. Get a blo0dy life. People on this site, just looking for the next PC thing to jump on.

It's not the people on this site. There's been no hysteria and culture warriors on here from what I've seen

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:27 - Nov 19 with 1600 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:06 - Nov 19 by LankHenners

Thankyou. That’s my argument entirely

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:27 - Nov 19 with 1594 viewsHerbivore

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:24 - Nov 19 by MonkeyAlan

Erm, you're the only person that seems angry about this.

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:30 - Nov 19 with 1583 viewsfooters

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:23 - Nov 19 by homer_123

That's a funny way of spelling Muppets Christmas Carol.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:32 - Nov 19 with 1572 viewshype313

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:30 - Nov 19 by footers

That's a funny way of spelling Elf.

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:33 - Nov 19 with 1568 viewsHerbivore

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:32 - Nov 19 by hype313

That's a funny way of spelling Elf.

Never seen Scrooged spelt like that before.

You've misspelt.... on 13:34 - Nov 19 with 1564 viewsBloots

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:30 - Nov 19 by footers

...Trading Places.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Hopefully we won't have to put up with..... on 13:39 - Nov 19 with 1551 viewsBloots

...Cliff Richard and any of his ridiculous god bothering nonsense this year either.

Saviours Day???.....my arse.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

You've misspelt.... on 13:39 - Nov 19 with 1544 viewsSwansea_Blue

You've misspelt.... on 13:34 - Nov 19 by Bloots

...Trading Places.

I've never seen Debbie Does Dallas spelt like that 🧐

Fairytale of New York (contains naughty words) on 13:48 - Nov 19 with 1522 viewseireblue

Since Phil is a bit overworked at the moment.

Maybe we should just share some jaunty pop tunes from more innocent times.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024