Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sports Government bailouts 14:08 - Nov 19 with 2397 viewsitfcjoe

£130m given to Rugby Union, but yet football needs to sort itself out - scandalous really

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sports Government bailouts on 14:12 - Nov 19 with 2011 viewsJakeITFC

Football clubs spent over £1b this summer though.
Sports Government bailouts on 14:17 - Nov 19 with 1995 viewshype313

Vast differences between top flight rugby and top flight football.

Think the only club in the Red is Exeter Chiefs, and that's only by a small margin.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Sports Government bailouts on 14:17 - Nov 19 with 2000 viewsitfcjoe

Sports Government bailouts on 14:12 - Nov 19 by JakeITFC

Football clubs spent over £1b this summer though.

That's such a stupid argument though because so much of that money is double, triple and even quadruple counted......and a massive chunk of the initial money spent is by a Russian Ogliarch at one club

Sports Government bailouts on 14:18 - Nov 19 with 1984 viewsitfcjoe

Sports Government bailouts on 14:17 - Nov 19 by hype313

Vast differences between top flight rugby and top flight football.

Think the only club in the Red is Exeter Chiefs, and that's only by a small margin.

The Rugby Premiership gets £50m of the £130m bail out, whilst Rugby League in it's entirety gets £12m

The 2nd tier of Rugby gets £30m which is watched by one man and his dog, whilst League 1 and League 2 don't get a penny

It's stupid really

Sports Government bailouts on 14:34 - Nov 19 with 1936 viewsJakeITFC

Sports Government bailouts on 14:17 - Nov 19 by itfcjoe

That's such a stupid argument though because so much of that money is double, triple and even quadruple counted......and a massive chunk of the initial money spent is by a Russian Ogliarch at one club

I don’t think have football can have it both ways - that is to say it’s either cute with accounting and spending billions and therefore awash with money, or it needs to stop pretending to be big business when it suits.

It is obviously true that the stuff going on at the top of the game is miles away from our level, but it is bizarre to me to expect the taxpayer to bail out a game that has such an obnoxious self made disparity.
Sports Government bailouts on 14:40 - Nov 19 with 1912 viewsKeno

Sports Government bailouts on 14:17 - Nov 19 by itfcjoe

Football probably not helped itself by clubs claiming furlough money for some staff while paying millions to others and spending money on transfers

yes Norwich you participated in that

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Sports Government bailouts on 14:42 - Nov 19 with 1900 viewsitfcjoe

Sports Government bailouts on 14:34 - Nov 19 by JakeITFC

I don’t think have football can have it both ways - that is to say it’s either cute with accounting and spending billions and therefore awash with money, or it needs to stop pretending to be big business when it suits.

It is obviously true that the stuff going on at the top of the game is miles away from our level, but it is bizarre to me to expect the taxpayer to bail out a game that has such an obnoxious self made disparity.

Football doesn't exist in a vacuum, and there are businesses in all industries that will receive bailouts that shouldn't do.

I don't see why football is expected to sit on a pedestal, when the majority of it's big earners will be PAYE as it is. It feels a massive class thing, esepcially with the comments earlier in lockdown from ministers about how PL players should be helping out - you don't hear them calling on bankers and CEOs to do the same thing

No-one in the Govt gets football, the fact that sports is grouped up with culture and media is proof of this

Sports Government bailouts on 15:14 - Nov 19 with 1825 viewsBlueNomad

They play rugger at Eton, not football which is for yobs.
Login to get fewer ads

Sports Government bailouts on 15:18 - Nov 19 with 1795 viewsBluefish

Why? Football is disgusting and doesn't deserve a bail out. The non league game might do though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Sports Government bailouts on 15:44 - Nov 19 with 1777 viewsArnieM

There’s a helluva lot of money sloshing around professional football compared to rugby, it’s just poorly distributed and probably 99.9% in the Premier League. The rest of us can go to hell, it seems ! Football DOES need to sort itself out.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Sports Government bailouts on 16:02 - Nov 19 with 1750 viewsitfcjoe

Sports Government bailouts on 16:27 - Nov 19 with 1723 viewsTractorWood

I might get whooshed here but professional football is a million miles beyond a bailout. It needs to adapt and change from the self centred, ego driven money pit. I remember seeing players come off the bench in the championship against us on £35k a week. Madness.

Hopefully they realise during this period that they need fans and to reign in the nonsense. Harry Maguire £80m - have a day off.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 16:29]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Sports Government bailouts on 16:35 - Nov 19 with 1692 viewsitfcjoe

Sports Government bailouts on 16:27 - Nov 19 by TractorWood

I might get whooshed here but professional football is a million miles beyond a bailout. It needs to adapt and change from the self centred, ego driven money pit. I remember seeing players come off the bench in the championship against us on £35k a week. Madness.

Hopefully they realise during this period that they need fans and to reign in the nonsense. Harry Maguire £80m - have a day off.

SO because some clubs are run badly, those in League 1 and League 2, a lot who are run as basically community clubs on a shoestring, who have next to no income due to no fans being allowed in the ground, should suffer?

People in all industries earn big money, should the arts not get a bailout because Idris Elba got £8m to be in the latest Fast and Furious movie? Should the RFU not get one because Eddie Jones is on £1m a year.

It seems mental that Premiership Rugby clubs are getting a bail out of £5m each when the average attendance across the division is 14k spectators, with teams like Sale averaging 6k spectators - how on earth do you square that one off? League 1 and League 2 clubs are now under salary caps and still getting no help

Sports Government bailouts on 16:51 - Nov 19 with 1661 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sports Government bailouts on 16:27 - Nov 19 by TractorWood

The same argument could certainly be made for F1; more so than for football probably. Top salaries are higher than PL stars and the teams spend more than the PL average. Pro rata incomes generated and the prize pot seem at least as good as the PL too.

Horse racing doesn't do too badly either (certainly the flat).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sports Government bailouts on 17:28 - Nov 19 with 1619 viewsTractorWood

Sports Government bailouts on 16:35 - Nov 19 by itfcjoe

SO because some clubs are run badly, those in League 1 and League 2, a lot who are run as basically community clubs on a shoestring, who have next to no income due to no fans being allowed in the ground, should suffer?

People in all industries earn big money, should the arts not get a bailout because Idris Elba got £8m to be in the latest Fast and Furious movie? Should the RFU not get one because Eddie Jones is on £1m a year.

It seems mental that Premiership Rugby clubs are getting a bail out of £5m each when the average attendance across the division is 14k spectators, with teams like Sale averaging 6k spectators - how on earth do you square that one off? League 1 and League 2 clubs are now under salary caps and still getting no help

I think that's the unfortunate situation football finds itself in. I guess the logic being that the Prem and FL need to come together and sort a system that is sustainable in the long term for the pyramid. It's clearly viable in the short, medium and long term under the right structure if the big clubs put their ego's and P&L demands to aside for a bit.

The arts, ruggers and horses don't really have the money tree equivalents of the Prem to restructure.

Sports Government bailouts on 17:30 - Nov 19 with 1613 viewsTractorWood

Sports Government bailouts on 16:51 - Nov 19 by Swansea_Blue

The same argument could certainly be made for F1; more so than for football probably. Top salaries are higher than PL stars and the teams spend more than the PL average. Pro rata incomes generated and the prize pot seem at least as good as the PL too.

Horse racing doesn't do too badly either (certainly the flat).

F1 is a pointless and tedious farce. No idea how it exists, let alone is popular.

Sports Government bailouts on 17:45 - Nov 19 with 1578 viewsOldsmoker

Hmmmm â„¢. Horse racing? That's the Queen sorted.

â„¢ PhilTWTD

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Sports Government bailouts on 17:53 - Nov 19 with 1563 viewsallezlesbleus

When "top" players earn more in one week than what lower league clubs go bankrupt for, that shows you where the problem is. Sky TV, the Premier League (and to an extent, the Champions League) have ruined football and made it the farce that it is today.

Whilst I have a bit more sympathy for the lower league clubs, IMHO, I feel it is scandalous that some PL clubs claimed furlough and then just a few weeks later spent 10's of millions on new players.
Sports Government bailouts on 10:05 - Nov 20 with 1432 viewsWickets

As a Tax payer i'm not sure the best use of goverment money is to be pumped into football . Maybe a case for grassroots or Non-league but the higher levels need to get it financial house in order .The scandal for me is the share out of the TV money .
Sports Government bailouts on 10:07 - Nov 20 with 1429 viewshype313

Sports Government bailouts on 10:05 - Nov 20 by Wickets

As a Tax payer i'm not sure the best use of goverment money is to be pumped into football . Maybe a case for grassroots or Non-league but the higher levels need to get it financial house in order .The scandal for me is the share out of the TV money .

It's not really a scandal, it's supply and demand, what are the overseas markets going to pay for? Man City v Liverpool or Yeovil v Plymouth?

However, there are plenty more scandalous things around football.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Sports Government bailouts on 10:22 - Nov 20 with 1405 viewsTJS

I'd love to see some figures about how much ordinary fans are still contributing to all professional sports despite not being able to attend.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 10:23]
Sports Government bailouts on 11:12 - Nov 20 with 1370 viewsN2_Blue

Joe you're a sensible chap and more often than not agree with you but your various posts on this I think are well wide of the mark. You should take note that general consensus also seems to disagree with you, although of course we can all have own own opinion.

Football should not be given millions, because the bodies that run the game need to re-design how money is distributed within the game, including EFL and grass routes semi and unprofessional football.
This might finally be the wake up call they need if unfortunately they seem clubs struggling and going out of business. If they are given tax payers money that would be scandalous compared to what business are failing and in need) and would mean the FA/premierleague etc will never ever change anything.

The finger pointing on this one needs to be the greed at top levels of the game, not the government (and I despise this government).

Also how much do you think rugby gets in TV revenue compared to the Premierleague....it's peanuts. They are not comparable and yes football does need to sort itself out.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 11:15]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Sports Government bailouts on 11:14 - Nov 20 with 1366 viewsN2_Blue

Sports Government bailouts on 17:28 - Nov 19 by TractorWood

I think that's the unfortunate situation football finds itself in. I guess the logic being that the Prem and FL need to come together and sort a system that is sustainable in the long term for the pyramid. It's clearly viable in the short, medium and long term under the right structure if the big clubs put their ego's and P&L demands to aside for a bit.

The arts, ruggers and horses don't really have the money tree equivalents of the Prem to restructure.

spot on.

Sports Government bailouts on 11:20 - Nov 20 with 1349 viewsitfcjoe

Sports Government bailouts on 11:12 - Nov 20 by N2_Blue

Joe you're a sensible chap and more often than not agree with you but your various posts on this I think are well wide of the mark. You should take note that general consensus also seems to disagree with you, although of course we can all have own own opinion.

Football should not be given millions, because the bodies that run the game need to re-design how money is distributed within the game, including EFL and grass routes semi and unprofessional football.
This might finally be the wake up call they need if unfortunately they seem clubs struggling and going out of business. If they are given tax payers money that would be scandalous compared to what business are failing and in need) and would mean the FA/premierleague etc will never ever change anything.

The finger pointing on this one needs to be the greed at top levels of the game, not the government (and I despise this government).

Also how much do you think rugby gets in TV revenue compared to the Premierleague....it's peanuts. They are not comparable and yes football does need to sort itself out.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 11:15]

Nearly every one of these sports, like business, has the very, very rich at the top of it - in no other sport or business is the Govt telling them to sort themselves out.

Every single football club outside the top tier is massively struggling and they are getting no support at all - and whilst other sports, and arts, are allowed or have been allowed spectators, the Government has unilaterally overridden the rules to punish football.

Months ago we were having test events were 1000 people were going to stadiums, without incidence, clubs were working with the H&S authorities and Stadium Advisory Groups to make their stadiums Covid secure and spending the money to do so, to be told that a blanket ban will come in.

There have been a number of interesting comments from chairmen in lower leagues - Evans here says it is costing us £10m, Lincoln chairman saying £2.8m, MacAnthoney at Peterborough furious with the authorities, the colchester chairman with some well written blogs as to what has become a restraint of trade.

But you hear rubbish quoted like £1 billion spent on transfer fees, when so much of that is just recycled money through transfers.

Clubs will go to the wall, they are the hubs of their communities and they should be being helped - simply saying that the Premier League has lots of money and should sort it isn't good enough and isn't right. It's the equivalent of people saying Rashford is a millionaire so he can afford to feed kids, it totally misses the point and the problem

Sports Government bailouts on 11:44 - Nov 20 with 1329 viewsN2_Blue

Sports Government bailouts on 11:20 - Nov 20 by itfcjoe

Nearly every one of these sports, like business, has the very, very rich at the top of it - in no other sport or business is the Govt telling them to sort themselves out.

Every single football club outside the top tier is massively struggling and they are getting no support at all - and whilst other sports, and arts, are allowed or have been allowed spectators, the Government has unilaterally overridden the rules to punish football.

Months ago we were having test events were 1000 people were going to stadiums, without incidence, clubs were working with the H&S authorities and Stadium Advisory Groups to make their stadiums Covid secure and spending the money to do so, to be told that a blanket ban will come in.

There have been a number of interesting comments from chairmen in lower leagues - Evans here says it is costing us £10m, Lincoln chairman saying £2.8m, MacAnthoney at Peterborough furious with the authorities, the colchester chairman with some well written blogs as to what has become a restraint of trade.

But you hear rubbish quoted like £1 billion spent on transfer fees, when so much of that is just recycled money through transfers.

Clubs will go to the wall, they are the hubs of their communities and they should be being helped - simply saying that the Premier League has lots of money and should sort it isn't good enough and isn't right. It's the equivalent of people saying Rashford is a millionaire so he can afford to feed kids, it totally misses the point and the problem

I just can't agree I'm afraid. And the comparison with Rashford is not a good one. He is an individual who has earned his money and does not have responsibility to those children
He is not a member body/key stakeholder who has a duty to protect it's associates and can blatantly afford to it an unprecedented time) for the good of it's business.

In any case I'm sure Rashford gives plenty to charity and supports a cause. I don't see the Premierleague doing much to try and support anyone outside it's direct members. Even the money it gives to grass routes football is pathetic compared to the money it secures through TV. This allows the PL to give clubs billions of pounds, which in turn allows these clubs to pay some players 500k a week for kicking a ball around. Sorry that is just not right, but maybe a separate argument.

I get the community aspect and that unprofessional clubs are going to the wall and would support a small amount of money going to those at a completely unprofessional level, but professional football does not warrant any tax payers money in my opinion.

Something has to change in football. It is a unique business, and that change is never going to come without the pain of some football clubs going to wall. It's a sad fact, but that in itself should not mean tax payers bailing them out. Football in its current structure was not sustainable before the COVID and clubs were going bust before then...that is the issue and a pandemic and bailouts should not disguise that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024