Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... 14:50 - Nov 20 with 2245 viewsbluelagos

Given the very welcome decision of the UK govt to ban the sales of new petrol and diesel cars by 2030, does that now mean we can all congratulate XR on putting the issue firmly on the agenda, achieving far more by their direct action than anyone else has managed in the past century to change the political agenda and help save our precious planet?

Anyone changed their views or are they still thought to be harming their cause by their actions?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 14:55 - Nov 20 with 1080 viewsJ2BLUE

Yep credit where it is due. I was one of those saying their tactics were wrong but as you say the achievements are there. Shout out to Greta as well who is relentless.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 14:57 - Nov 20 with 1067 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Their intentions have always been good. I’m not sure I know of anyone that’s ever denied that. I think what some people had issues with was that they sometimes went about it badly. Not all the time but occasionally. Like the time they blocked the road outside a hospital. That was a clear example of a terrible terrible idea and detracted from the good they were doing. On the whole though, they do deserve credit for getting more people talking about the topics they advocated for.

That’s kinda where I’m at with it. No real change from my thoughts however long ago it was on here that this came up? A year ago? Before I left here for a while and that was back in April.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:00 - Nov 20 with 1060 viewsStokieBlue

Whilst banning polluting vehicles from 2030 is great I don't see how it can happen in reality. The government simply haven't committed the funds required to build the infrastructure needed to replace these vehicles.

XR have no doubt increased the debate which is a very good thing but I am not sure they are directly responsible for the policy change. A more cynical person might say it was timed to be implemented in time for the UK hosting COP26 UN summit on environmental issues.

SB
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 15:00]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:07 - Nov 20 with 1037 viewsbluelagos

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:00 - Nov 20 by StokieBlue

Whilst banning polluting vehicles from 2030 is great I don't see how it can happen in reality. The government simply haven't committed the funds required to build the infrastructure needed to replace these vehicles.

XR have no doubt increased the debate which is a very good thing but I am not sure they are directly responsible for the policy change. A more cynical person might say it was timed to be implemented in time for the UK hosting COP26 UN summit on environmental issues.

SB

The govt is going to have pull their finger out, no argument.

And no doubt the summit will have focused minds.

But the point is surely that by being bloody minded, difficult and in many cases losing their freedoms after arrests, they have genuinely changed the debate from a couple of years ago. I reckon they have been vindicated in their methods (no one sensible on here doubted their cause)

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:10 - Nov 20 with 1031 viewsbluelagos

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 14:57 - Nov 20 by The_Romford_Blue

Their intentions have always been good. I’m not sure I know of anyone that’s ever denied that. I think what some people had issues with was that they sometimes went about it badly. Not all the time but occasionally. Like the time they blocked the road outside a hospital. That was a clear example of a terrible terrible idea and detracted from the good they were doing. On the whole though, they do deserve credit for getting more people talking about the topics they advocated for.

That’s kinda where I’m at with it. No real change from my thoughts however long ago it was on here that this came up? A year ago? Before I left here for a while and that was back in April.

Your tone is somewhat different to before Rommy!

A welcome change (am not looking to do a "told you so") which is encouraging.

Bit like when I was keen for lockdown 1 to end...did some thinking / reading (due to the barrage of opinion on here) and changed my mind :-) Nothing wrong with changing your mind! Far better than dogmatically sticking to a position without considering it may be wrong.

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:15 - Nov 20 with 1018 viewswkj

SB

I too feel that the timeline is arbitrary.

The cynic in me feels a delay will be the best case scenario, but the likely outcome will be moving the goalposts so that what counts as a hybrid ends up being a tweaked alternator or some such.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:25 - Nov 20 with 980 viewsBluefish

When were XR formed?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:27 - Nov 20 with 987 viewsronnyd

SB

Agree, just cannot see the infrastruction being put in place in the short time frame. It's ok for people as myself who has a driveway to charge a car on. The folk living in a terrace with no front space, also perhaps with multi car requirements, have a problem. This will mostly mean that a lot of drivers will have to forgo driving as it will be impractical to continue to own a car at all, as a lot of people cannot afford to buy new and rely on older used ones. How many E/Vs do you see for sale on Auto Trader etc? A bit like smart meters, i think that the date will quietly be extended for some time. Due to my age it won't impact me as i will be 85 in 2030, but you never know.
Login to get fewer ads

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:27 - Nov 20 with 985 viewsbluelagos

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:25 - Nov 20 by Bluefish

When were XR formed?

First got active a couple of years ago.

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:28 - Nov 20 with 969 viewsBluefish

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:27 - Nov 20 by bluelagos

First got active a couple of years ago.

So what on earth have they got to do with the ban on ICE cars?

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:30 - Nov 20 with 962 viewsbluelagos

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:28 - Nov 20 by Bluefish

So what on earth have they got to do with the ban on ICE cars?

I'll leave you to work that out for yourself.

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:32 - Nov 20 with 957 viewsclive_baker

Hard to quantify how much influence anyone has had, and the movement was well underway before XR existed. That said, it's a fairly safe assumption that a culmination of things has sped up the change, XR being one of them. Fair play to all parties trying to encourage the right behaviours. It's only legislative changes that are going to move the needle, so good to see those being brought forward re. new cars by 2030.

On the subject on electric cars, I'm keen to make the leap but nervous about battery life as I do some long jaunts. What are the good ones?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:34 - Nov 20 with 934 viewsBluefish

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:30 - Nov 20 by bluelagos

I'll leave you to work that out for yourself.

Time machine I reckon

I reckon that Delorean is worse for the environment than my 530d though

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:34 - Nov 20 with 943 viewsStokieBlue

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:27 - Nov 20 by ronnyd

Agree, just cannot see the infrastruction being put in place in the short time frame. It's ok for people as myself who has a driveway to charge a car on. The folk living in a terrace with no front space, also perhaps with multi car requirements, have a problem. This will mostly mean that a lot of drivers will have to forgo driving as it will be impractical to continue to own a car at all, as a lot of people cannot afford to buy new and rely on older used ones. How many E/Vs do you see for sale on Auto Trader etc? A bit like smart meters, i think that the date will quietly be extended for some time. Due to my age it won't impact me as i will be 85 in 2030, but you never know.

There is a street round the corner where they have installed charging points at the bottom of each lamppost which works for terrace houses. It's a good idea as the power is already fed there due to the light but it would still take a massive effort to roll it out just in my local area let alone across the country.

SB

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:36 - Nov 20 with 925 viewsBluefish

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:32 - Nov 20 by clive_baker

Hard to quantify how much influence anyone has had, and the movement was well underway before XR existed. That said, it's a fairly safe assumption that a culmination of things has sped up the change, XR being one of them. Fair play to all parties trying to encourage the right behaviours. It's only legislative changes that are going to move the needle, so good to see those being brought forward re. new cars by 2030.

On the subject on electric cars, I'm keen to make the leap but nervous about battery life as I do some long jaunts. What are the good ones?

How far do you go and how often? You might find the amount you save in fuel offsets a train or a hire car for the longest journeys or you just plan ahead and schedule stops. This time next year will see cars doing nearly 400 miles potentially on 1 charge

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:39 - Nov 20 with 908 viewsBluefish

SB

The ban is the same of new ones so they only need the infrastructure to cover that. It is easy and could be done sooner, the bigger could be the brexit implications on the clean air for Europe act. We might not see many bevs registered here

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:41 - Nov 20 with 912 viewsclive_baker

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:36 - Nov 20 by Bluefish

How far do you go and how often? You might find the amount you save in fuel offsets a train or a hire car for the longest journeys or you just plan ahead and schedule stops. This time next year will see cars doing nearly 400 miles potentially on 1 charge

In normal, non Covid circumstances I do about 3 trips per week. Each c. 200 miles round trip. Occasionally there's a longer one, c. 320 miles round trip.

All I would want is to be sure I could do a similar amount of miles as I can currently do on a tank of diesel. Something around the 400 miles mark is ideal.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:42 - Nov 20 with 907 viewsStokieBlue

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:39 - Nov 20 by Bluefish

The ban is the same of new ones so they only need the infrastructure to cover that. It is easy and could be done sooner, the bigger could be the brexit implications on the clean air for Europe act. We might not see many bevs registered here

2019 saw 2.3m new cars registered in the UK.

That's quite a lot of infrastructure if it continues given it's cumulative each year. Perhaps that can be covered "easy" but I don't think so. I'd like to see their plans on how they are going to do it.

SB
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 15:43]

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:44 - Nov 20 with 898 viewsStokieBlue

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:07 - Nov 20 by bluelagos

The govt is going to have pull their finger out, no argument.

And no doubt the summit will have focused minds.

But the point is surely that by being bloody minded, difficult and in many cases losing their freedoms after arrests, they have genuinely changed the debate from a couple of years ago. I reckon they have been vindicated in their methods (no one sensible on here doubted their cause)

That is fair, they have certainly raised the level of the debate but I do wonder if it's across all demographics. There are definitely some who will dismiss them entirely because of how they went about it. Hopefully that is a small number.

SB

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:53 - Nov 20 with 881 viewsbluelagos

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:44 - Nov 20 by StokieBlue

That is fair, they have certainly raised the level of the debate but I do wonder if it's across all demographics. There are definitely some who will dismiss them entirely because of how they went about it. Hopefully that is a small number.

SB

We seem to be agreeing a lot these day Stokie :-)

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:59 - Nov 20 with 850 viewsBluefish

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:42 - Nov 20 by StokieBlue

2019 saw 2.3m new cars registered in the UK.

That's quite a lot of infrastructure if it continues given it's cumulative each year. Perhaps that can be covered "easy" but I don't think so. I'd like to see their plans on how they are going to do it.

SB
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 15:43]

How they are going to put in charging points? Just go online and order one like I did

They will also be in petrol stations because the fuel companies will realise the demand for petrol and diesel will shrink

Car parks are fitting them too for flat residents

It really isn't that difficult the hardest start has been tackled already

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 16:06 - Nov 20 with 828 viewsStokieBlue

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 15:59 - Nov 20 by Bluefish

How they are going to put in charging points? Just go online and order one like I did

They will also be in petrol stations because the fuel companies will realise the demand for petrol and diesel will shrink

Car parks are fitting them too for flat residents

It really isn't that difficult the hardest start has been tackled already

You are totally looking at things from within your own existence.

What about the millions of people who can't have a charging point? For instance a good proportion of London is terrace housing or flats, there simply aren't drives in which to install a charging point.

Petrol stations don't really work - you can't recharge in 2 minutes and then let the next person in like you can with hydrocarbons.

Perhaps look outside your own world for a few minutes and see if issues exist there. I agree it needs to happen, what I have said is they haven't budgeted enough for it in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong here - I really want us to transition to a non-petrol infrastructure, I just think they need to allocate more budget to do it.

SB
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 16:09]

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 16:08 - Nov 20 with 813 viewsBluefish

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 16:06 - Nov 20 by StokieBlue

You are totally looking at things from within your own existence.

What about the millions of people who can't have a charging point? For instance a good proportion of London is terrace housing or flats, there simply aren't drives in which to install a charging point.

Petrol stations don't really work - you can't recharge in 2 minutes and then let the next person in like you can with hydrocarbons.

Perhaps look outside your own world for a few minutes and see if issues exist there. I agree it needs to happen, what I have said is they haven't budgeted enough for it in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong here - I really want us to transition to a non-petrol infrastructure, I just think they need to allocate more budget to do it.

SB
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 16:09]

Yeah i do it every day for a job but apart from that I probably just look at me

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 16:09 - Nov 20 with 810 viewsStokieBlue

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 16:08 - Nov 20 by Bluefish

Yeah i do it every day for a job but apart from that I probably just look at me

Good for you.

Fancy answering any of the points then given you've got the expertise?

SB

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 16:11 - Nov 20 with 799 viewsBluefish

Seeing as how we have all "moved on" a tad... on 16:09 - Nov 20 by StokieBlue

Good for you.

Fancy answering any of the points then given you've got the expertise?

SB

Would you listen and ever accept what I say? Seems unlikely

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024