Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert's man management of younger players 18:17 - Nov 21 with 3231 viewsITFC_96

Incidents now with Woolfenden, Downes, Dobra + El Mizouni (photograph incident), McGavin...

The list keeps growing.
Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:23 - Nov 21 with 2995 viewsIllinoisblue

Incidents might be overplaying it but Lambert’s prickliness doesn’t help anyone

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:26 - Nov 21 with 2974 viewsGarv

'incidents' ha!

What is the Downes incident, out of interest?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:33 - Nov 21 with 2901 viewsITFC_96

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:26 - Nov 21 by Garv

'incidents' ha!

What is the Downes incident, out of interest?

The whole transfer saga and benching him after the fact.

They are a all symptomatic of back room unrest. It is not obvious but when these things make it out to the media you know that behind the scenes it is usually a lot worse.
Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:37 - Nov 21 with 2878 viewsITFC_96

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:33 - Nov 21 by ITFC_96

They are a all symptomatic of back room unrest. It is not obvious but when these things make it out to the media you know that behind the scenes it is usually a lot worse.

Also, I imagine the younger players aren't too happy when they're being targeted by Lambert, especially McGavin after today's interview.

What is Lambert trying to prove with that? It doesn't even need to be said, even if he had a bad game (which he didn't!)

"They're not ready" and all that crap after every game they play.
Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:40 - Nov 21 with 2863 viewsGarv

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:33 - Nov 21 by ITFC_96

Have you considered that perhaps how that situation was handled was right for the team?

We were in form, our midfield had been the best area of the team so far, and if Downes had been trying to force a move (IF - I don't know, just as you don't know anything about what you're speculating about), then maybe he deserved to sit on the bench for a few games?

You're looking for things that aren't there. Also, these players aren't little kids, they're professional footballers. It's funny, these issues didn't come up when were in form.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 18:44]

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:44 - Nov 21 with 2830 viewsGarv

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:37 - Nov 21 by ITFC_96

Also, I imagine the younger players aren't too happy when they're being targeted by Lambert, especially McGavin after today's interview.

What is Lambert trying to prove with that? It doesn't even need to be said, even if he had a bad game (which he didn't!)

You said it yourself, you imagine - really you have no idea.

It's old school management, whether it's good or not is up to opinion, but ultimately you don't know how McGavin will react to that or what he thinks of it. If he it means he plays even better when he gets his next chance then great.

Sticking up for players so vehemently when they've been challenged by management to do better or simply not had their tummies tickled after a good game is a bit cringe worthy and just not needed.

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:44 - Nov 21 with 2818 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:40 - Nov 21 by Garv

Have you considered that perhaps how that situation was handled was right for the team?

We were in form, our midfield had been the best area of the team so far, and if Downes had been trying to force a move (IF - I don't know, just as you don't know anything about what you're speculating about), then maybe he deserved to sit on the bench for a few games?

You're looking for things that aren't there. Also, these players aren't little kids, they're professional footballers. It's funny, these issues didn't come up when were in form.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 18:44]

How is 'make him so frustrated he comes off the bench an injures himself' handling it right?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:46 - Nov 21 with 2798 viewspointofblue

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:44 - Nov 21 by BlueBadger

How is 'make him so frustrated he comes off the bench an injures himself' handling it right?

I'll point the finger at Lambert over Dobra, El Mizouni, McGavin today but not Downes. Flynn was the one who threw his toys out of the pram wanting a move - the bench was the right place for him, especially as the central three started the season reasonably well.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:48 - Nov 21 with 2782 viewsITFC_96

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:44 - Nov 21 by Garv

It's old school management, whether it's good or not is up to opinion, but ultimately you don't know how McGavin will react to that or what he thinks of it. If he it means he plays even better when he gets his next chance then great.

Sticking up for players so vehemently when they've been challenged by management to do better or simply not had their tummies tickled after a good game is a bit cringe worthy and just not needed.

Tell me then, how exactly does telling the players they're crap and playing underperformers like Judge ahead of them help?

McGavin didn't even play badly today and he was singled out.

The only message it sends is that it doesn't matter how good you are, you'll be targeted. There is no "old school" about it, it is crap management.

You can't expect players to want to play for you if you call them crap out of the blue.
Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:50 - Nov 21 with 2771 viewsgordon

Yes, it seemed more like Lambert was trying to punish him, and then when he'd come on he was so desperate to prove a point that he pushed hinself too far.

It was awful man-management if that was part of some kind of plan.
Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:57 - Nov 21 with 2724 viewsBlueBadger

I fear you're confusing 'old school'(like what Mick used to do - you know, praising or sticking up for his players in public, regardless of how rubbish they'd actually been) with 'not very good' management(what Lambert is doing here).
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 19:09]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lambert's man management of younger players on 20:37 - Nov 21 with 2552 viewsEl_Fenix

Lambert has not learned to manage young (Generation Z) players. They do not respond well to hearing him boast to the media about how many times he has given a specific player kicks up the backside, or how ill-equipped other players are to play "men's" football. A mentoring approach that includes encouragement and praise would work much better.

It also seems that Lambert maintains a 'sh*t' list that players who get on, stay on. Donacien and Knudsen are two examples. Lambert adding Dobra, Downes and Wolfenden to his list would be a terrible mistake.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

Lambert's man management of younger players on 21:39 - Nov 21 with 2455 viewsGarv

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:48 - Nov 21 by ITFC_96

Tell me then, how exactly does telling the players they're crap and playing underperformers like Judge ahead of them help?

The only message it sends is that it doesn't matter how good you are, you'll be targeted. There is no "old school" about it, it is crap management.

You can't expect players to want to play for you if you call them crap out of the blue.

Yep, he called McGavin's performance crap, that's what happened.

Lambert's man management of younger players on 21:48 - Nov 21 with 2421 viewsitfcjoe

Well we aren’t in the old school, we are in 2020

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert's man management of younger players on 21:55 - Nov 21 with 2387 viewsITFC_96

Lambert's man management of younger players on 21:39 - Nov 21 by Garv

Yep, he called McGavin's performance crap, that's what happened.

Questioned on whether he was happy with Brett McGavin’s performance, the 20-year-old having come in for his second league start for the suspended Andre Dozzell, Lambert said: “He must be a favourite of yours because you wax lyrical about him all the time! My standard is maybe a little bit different to yours.

“I think there are good things there, I think there are some things he’s got to get 100 times better with.

“But the kid came in and played a good game. He’s got big shoes to fill to come in, but he’s got a really good range of passing, I think he’s better than he showed today. But that’s what we’ve got in that position behind Dozzell, apart from Cole Skuse who isn’t going to be available for another couple of months. I need a passer in there and, as I said yesterday, Brett’s as close to Dozzell as we’ve got.”

This is a roundabout way of him saying he thought played badly. If you do not see that, then I don't know what to say.
Lambert's man management of younger players on 22:43 - Nov 21 with 2278 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

He wasn't singled out by Lambert (Brenner asked about him) and he didn't say he's crap either. But apart from that you're bang on!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Lambert's man management of younger players on 22:46 - Nov 21 with 2266 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Lambert's man management of younger players on 21:55 - Nov 21 by ITFC_96

Questioned on whether he was happy with Brett McGavin’s performance, the 20-year-old having come in for his second league start for the suspended Andre Dozzell, Lambert said: “He must be a favourite of yours because you wax lyrical about him all the time! My standard is maybe a little bit different to yours.

“I think there are good things there, I think there are some things he’s got to get 100 times better with.

“But the kid came in and played a good game. He’s got big shoes to fill to come in, but he’s got a really good range of passing, I think he’s better than he showed today. But that’s what we’ve got in that position behind Dozzell, apart from Cole Skuse who isn’t going to be available for another couple of months. I need a passer in there and, as I said yesterday, Brett’s as close to Dozzell as we’ve got.”

This is a roundabout way of him saying he thought played badly. If you do not see that, then I don't know what to say.

'But the kid came in and played a good game' is a roundabout way of him saying he thought played badly?!

You're bonkers in the nut mate.

Lambert's man management of younger players on 22:47 - Nov 21 with 2264 viewsITFC_96

Lambert's man management of younger players on 22:43 - Nov 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

He wasn't singled out by Lambert (Brenner asked about him) and he didn't say he's crap either. But apart from that you're bang on!

He was asked if he was happy with his performance and went on a tirade about how he's not as good as Brenner thinks he is...

If he didn't want to make a point he would have pivoted the conversation in a different direction instead of outright saying he didn't think he played well.
Lambert's man management of younger players on 22:50 - Nov 21 with 2244 viewspatrickswell

"Telling players they're crap"

I think you need to go back a Paul for that.
Lambert's man management of younger players on 22:52 - Nov 21 with 2237 viewsbournemouthblue

Lambert's man management of younger players on 21:55 - Nov 21 by ITFC_96

I think he's just trying to keep his feet on the ground, he was strangely prickly on this subject but wasn't completely dismissing him was he?

McGavin had a far better game against Portsmouth but he did alright and could be a very decent player for us.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Lambert's man management of younger players on 04:17 - Nov 22 with 2096 viewsmadmouse1959

Lambert's man management of younger players on 18:37 - Nov 21 by ITFC_96

Maybe Lambert should start sharing his little innuendo,s on other players who seem to be immune from any criticism.

It baffles me how some players manage to get in that team. Especially after a no show in previous games.

shampoo dave

Lambert's man management of younger players on 05:12 - Nov 22 with 2077 viewsSpruceMoose

The answer probably comes out of the same school of thought that makes excuses for one of our main strikers being arrested for drink driving and titting about online when he's injured instead of focusing on rehabilitation.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 5:20]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Lambert's man management of younger players on 08:24 - Nov 22 with 1951 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Lambert's man management of younger players on 22:47 - Nov 21 by ITFC_96

He was asked if he was happy with his performance and went on a tirade about how he's not as good as Brenner thinks he is...

If he didn't want to make a point he would have pivoted the conversation in a different direction instead of outright saying he didn't think he played well.

You asked why he singled him out and said he played crap. He did neither.

Brenner singled him out.
Lambert said he played a good game but there's room for improvement.

Don't let facts get in the way of your little rant though.

Lambert's man management of younger players on 10:18 - Nov 22 with 1841 viewsbraveblue

Downes put in a transfer request. Influenced by agent. Lambert was spot on. Downes will needs to come back and play really well to be
noticed again.

The rest is pure speculation and looking for a problem that isn’t there.
Lambert's man management of younger players on 11:39 - Nov 22 with 1801 viewsWickets

Lambert's man management of younger players on 08:24 - Nov 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

You asked why he singled him out and said he played crap. He did neither.

Brenner singled him out.
Lambert said he played a good game but there's room for improvement.

Don't let facts get in the way of your little rant though.

I think maybe PL was trying to say he had a good game but he can do better ? We could give Lambert the benifit of the doubt as he knows Brett better than us , just a thought .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024