Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Doxing/doxxing" - scary stuff 12:47 - Nov 22 with 803 viewsRyorry

Came across this expression for first time, looked it up, something like it was mentioned by a few people in another thread here recently. Sorry about the implicit ad, but if you ignore that, it's a good article.

https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-privacy-what-is-doxing.html

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

"Doxing/doxxing" - scary stuff on 12:54 - Nov 22 with 761 viewsDanTheMan

Yes, unfortunately been part of internet forums for as long as I can remember.

It's also unfortunately incredibly easy.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

"Doxing/doxxing" - scary stuff on 14:40 - Nov 22 with 636 viewsDeano69

Was part of a webinar exploring Social Engineering, Doxing and basic Stalking. The guy involved does actually do this for the police to help catch criminals.

With just google, as subscription to a name/address database costing $10 a month plus a Russian site making public Strava content, within 10 minutes he had picked a security supervisor of a nuclear power station, knew where he lived, all family members including kids names and schools, the route he takes to work, him mobile phones number (then spoofed his mobile number to send WhatsApp messages), worked out definite times of day he was away from home or at certain secluded areas, what time his kids get to and from school. Absolutely frightening.

The did the same in a rocket scientist in the USA just to show its a worldwide thing (someone was asked to suggest a job title to check out).

Very powerful for both good and evil.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

"Doxing/doxxing" - scary stuff on 14:43 - Nov 22 with 622 viewsRyorry

"Doxing/doxxing" - scary stuff on 14:40 - Nov 22 by Deano69

Was part of a webinar exploring Social Engineering, Doxing and basic Stalking. The guy involved does actually do this for the police to help catch criminals.

With just google, as subscription to a name/address database costing $10 a month plus a Russian site making public Strava content, within 10 minutes he had picked a security supervisor of a nuclear power station, knew where he lived, all family members including kids names and schools, the route he takes to work, him mobile phones number (then spoofed his mobile number to send WhatsApp messages), worked out definite times of day he was away from home or at certain secluded areas, what time his kids get to and from school. Absolutely frightening.

The did the same in a rocket scientist in the USA just to show its a worldwide thing (someone was asked to suggest a job title to check out).

Very powerful for both good and evil.

😱

"Doxing/doxxing" - scary stuff on 14:52 - Nov 22 with 604 viewsDeano69

"Doxing/doxxing" - scary stuff on 14:43 - Nov 22 by Ryorry

😱

Don’t have nightmares, do sleep well.

In all seriousness, the main motivation in all this is money (power could be argued, but I would say that even that is only to access wealth). If you have lots of it then there’s reason to be even more careful with your online footprint, with the best will in the world meant, pretty sure they will not be targeting me as they won’t get a lot out of me!

A connected world means just that.

We had a complaint in from an employee of a client of ours that we had put her personal mobile on her email signature and concluded it was a GDPR breach. Not only had we been given that by the client, but within 5 minutes of a few google searches we found mobile numbers and home addresses for her and her husband, details of a failed business they had, the fact they were both out on Tuesday evenings as scouting leaders plus found their profiles on Facebook, linked in and Twitter with more personal data. Sign of the times.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 14:52]

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

"Doxing/doxxing" - scary stuff on 18:09 - Nov 22 with 437 viewsRyorry

"Doxing/doxxing" - scary stuff on 14:52 - Nov 22 by Deano69

Don’t have nightmares, do sleep well.

In all seriousness, the main motivation in all this is money (power could be argued, but I would say that even that is only to access wealth). If you have lots of it then there’s reason to be even more careful with your online footprint, with the best will in the world meant, pretty sure they will not be targeting me as they won’t get a lot out of me!

A connected world means just that.

We had a complaint in from an employee of a client of ours that we had put her personal mobile on her email signature and concluded it was a GDPR breach. Not only had we been given that by the client, but within 5 minutes of a few google searches we found mobile numbers and home addresses for her and her husband, details of a failed business they had, the fact they were both out on Tuesday evenings as scouting leaders plus found their profiles on Facebook, linked in and Twitter with more personal data. Sign of the times.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 14:52]

Thanks - guess that's the first time I've been glad to not be rich!

Luckily I've always been instinctively cautious - never could understand those who give their real birthdays on fb, not to mention when they're going on hol, what events they're going to etc etc.

Maybe the experience (when I was a kid) of a neighbour being burgled during the 5 mins she nipped down the road to post a letter, has something to do with my instinct to be careful!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024