Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel 16:46 - Nov 23 with 5920 viewsElderGrizzly

Which builds on discussions we were having over the last few weeks on countries doing the same. Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Japan and the USA (under Biden) will be some of the first to insist on the vaccine before you are let in.

USA will tie it to ESTAs.

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 17:41 - Nov 23 with 2668 viewsBloomBlue

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 17:07 - Nov 23 by bluelagos

Have posted about this before, but the yellow fever thing (is basically a small passport size book (cardboard outer, pages inside) where each vaccination is stamped by the vaccinator (signed and dated too) much like a stamp for a car service. One page lists your details such as passport number so they are not transferable.

You carry it with you along with your passport and then present it at immigration in countries that require it.

It really isn't a major logistical issue to print them, fill them in, keep them and then present them as needed. Am sure a simple certificate from a doctor would also suffice as proof of vaccination for many countries.

Thank you.
Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 17:52 - Nov 23 with 2651 viewsBlueBadger

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 17:18 - Nov 23 by bluelagos

They can't be that stupid can they? I'm sorry, I know the politicans are fckwits but even they can't be that fcking stupid?

There will some guff about 'sensible precautions', 'cutting red tape' and 'Britain is open for business' because they'll have been bunged a few quid by the airlines.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-brexit-party-labour-fundin

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 18:11 - Nov 23 with 2629 viewsfactual_blue

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 17:13 - Nov 23 by Ace_High1

Yet again the Aussies getting it right...... can they adopt me as a citizen please?

Here's their citizenship criteria to help you decide

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 18:25 - Nov 23 with 2617 viewsloftboy

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 17:28 - Nov 23 by bluelagos

Yeah but in March Boris was still going round shaking hands with people in hospitals, and he was happy to go on TV and tell everyone.

We have all learned a lot in the past 8 months and largely accepted limits to our freedoms we wouldn't have thought possible in March...

I really can’t see what the problem with having the vaccine is, those of us of a certain age will remember queuing around the school to get the TB and polio jabs, both were almost totally eradicated due to this, and is now on the rise again since these were withdrawn.
I did have issues with the MMR triple jab which I believe changed my youngest sons life forever, ( he had huge reaction which resulted in a huge fit and was unconscious for a short time and is autistic, obviously no concrete proof to link this but he was definitely different pre-jab)
I have said all along that airlines will insist on this, surely people can’t disagree with this decision and well tough you won’t be able to fly if you don’t.
Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 18:43 - Nov 23 with 2606 viewsfactual_blue

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 17:18 - Nov 23 by bluelagos

They can't be that stupid can they? I'm sorry, I know the politicans are fckwits but even they can't be that fcking stupid?

The only thing they've done consistently is continually surpass their own previous levels off stupid, starting from a point where they were 'The most stupid government ever' even before covid..

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 18:53 - Nov 23 with 2596 viewsTractorWood

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 16:54 - Nov 23 by ElderGrizzly

We should.

We won't.

This.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 19:53 - Nov 23 with 2560 viewsKeaneish

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 16:50 - Nov 23 by StokieBlue

It has to be done, it's the only way the anti-vaxxers can be combated.

If people realise they can't go on holiday they might pay more attention to the science and less to the latest FB story they have been sent.

It will also ensure people remember to come back for their second vaccination and should increase uptake.

I assume it's actually dictated by the Aussie government and not Qantas? They haven't covered themselves in glory with their "sightseeing flights".

SB
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 16:51]

It’s coercion and a penalisation on freedom of choice, no?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 20:01 - Nov 23 with 2550 viewsbluelagos

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 19:53 - Nov 23 by Keaneish

It is. I am a libertarian at heart and sometimes we have to give up some freedoms for the greater good. When I travel to/from many places I show my yellow fever certificate knowing that my having been vaccinated helps protect the places I am traveling to from my spreading the disease.

Sometimes the greater good outweighs our individual freedoms and pressure is brought to bare on people to conform. I think this is one of those rare occasions.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 20:01 - Nov 23 with 2552 viewsStokieBlue

It's the continuation of a well established paradigm used by many countries to stop infectious diseases from entering their country and causing havoc.

You have the freedom not to take the vaccine but then other countries most certainly have the freedom of choice not to let you in.

If anything not taking the vaccine is a position whereby you outsource your perceived risk to others. In that situation those people should get the benefits as they have taken the risk for you.

SB
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 20:01]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 20:29 - Nov 23 with 2515 viewsKeaneish

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 20:01 - Nov 23 by StokieBlue

It's the continuation of a well established paradigm used by many countries to stop infectious diseases from entering their country and causing havoc.

You have the freedom not to take the vaccine but then other countries most certainly have the freedom of choice not to let you in.

If anything not taking the vaccine is a position whereby you outsource your perceived risk to others. In that situation those people should get the benefits as they have taken the risk for you.

SB
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 20:01]

What you’re describing in your first two paragraphs is authoritarianism.
What you’re describing in your third paragraph is conformity.

Both those principles are contradictory to democratic values for me.

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 20:31 - Nov 23 with 2506 viewsJ2BLUE

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 20:29 - Nov 23 by Keaneish

Of course it isn't. It's basic protection.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 20:39 - Nov 23 with 2492 viewsStokieBlue

That's total nonsense.

Why haven't you complained about other countries requiring vaccines before? Are you also claiming countries don't have the right to decide on what basis people are allowed to enter their country?

It's not conformity. It's a reward for taking the risk for you so why should you get any benefits?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 20:40 - Nov 23 with 2484 viewsSpruceMoose

Utter nonsense. No doubt a dozen people will have beaten me to it in pointing this out.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 21:59 - Nov 23 with 2420 viewsm14_blue

That’s just a load of big words thrown together in a vaguely coherent order.

I would be really uncomfortable with people being forced to take the vaccine or locked up for not taking it. However, it’s completely reasonable for them to have to face the inevitable consequences of their decision.

Why should an immunocompromised person, who can’t have the vaccine, have to run the risk of sitting next to some conspiracy theorist idiot on a plane whose village idiot views could kill them?
Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 22:07 - Nov 23 with 2410 viewsSpruceMoose

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 21:59 - Nov 23 by m14_blue

That’s just a load of big words thrown together in a vaguely coherent order.

I would be really uncomfortable with people being forced to take the vaccine or locked up for not taking it. However, it’s completely reasonable for them to have to face the inevitable consequences of their decision.

Why should an immunocompromised person, who can’t have the vaccine, have to run the risk of sitting next to some conspiracy theorist idiot on a plane whose village idiot views could kill them?

"That’s just a load of big words thrown together in a vaguely coherent order."

It was almost Hampstead-esque in that regard.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 22:24 - Nov 23 with 2401 viewsjeera

I'd go a step further and quarantine people who refuse the vaccine with no sound reasoning.

That way the rest of us could get on with life and enjoy our freedom.

Also I wouldn't be surprised to see this eventually extended to sporting events, gyms, pubs etc...

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 01:43 - Nov 24 with 2350 viewsIPS_wich

It has bipartizan support in Australia and the potential for an electronic vaccine passport is being explored:

https://www.tenterfieldstar.com.au/story/7025592/covid-19-passports-likely-for-t

Despite being among the most restrictive in the world, the COVID response in Australia and NZ has incredibly high levels of public support. In Western Australia we've effectively shut the border to travel to and from the other states - and our state government currently has a 90% approval rating!! Sure, there are small pockets of people who haven't followed the rules, but in general most people have accepted it.

It does help however that the country is huge, sparsely populated and after 10 weeks of the initial lockdown (apart from in Victoria) there has been relative freedom to go about your normal life.

The tourist spots in Western Australia have never been busier because locals are now holidaying within the state rather than heading to SE Asia or the east coast.
Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 03:23 - Nov 24 with 2335 viewsBlueBadger

Freedom of choice, like freedom of speech does not mean 'freedom from consequence'.

All these 'but are freedum' types have been bleating about restrictions for months now. Here's your ticket out of restrictions. Frankly, when they set up workplace jabs, I'm fighting for a place at the front of the queue.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 07:00 - Nov 24 with 2290 viewsmikeybloo88

I'm all for some sort of proof of vaccination...but won't people just get fakes or start lending them to their mates if it's just a simple piece of paper? Almost needs to be done with passport level of security built in..
Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 07:37 - Nov 24 with 2277 viewsKeaneish

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 20:39 - Nov 23 by StokieBlue

That's total nonsense.

Why haven't you complained about other countries requiring vaccines before? Are you also claiming countries don't have the right to decide on what basis people are allowed to enter their country?

It's not conformity. It's a reward for taking the risk for you so why should you get any benefits?

SB

“Taking the risk for me?”

There’s an air of arrogant indignation about this which is as lamentable as it is laughable. The notion that someone should be rewarded for following the status quo as it’s some kind of self sacrifice is ridiculous; that is, if I’ve understood you right.

You seem to take information spoon fed to you by Government, Corporations or Royal Charter Institutions and pedal them as fact. The language you use tows the line with main stream media and public perception, no doubt common discourse in Clissold’s Latte drinking micro bubble but the reality is, it’s really not very scary out there. Those opting to take the vaccine really aren’t martyrs; I’d actually say they’re a product of fear but each to their own.

As for the point about Authoritarianism labelled “nonsense” by yourself, a phrase you typically like to police others with, I fail to see how it isn’t. The enforcement of strict obedience at the expense of personal freedom is exactly what’s happening here - that is the very definition of authoritarianism. It’s through a different lens and in relation to the post, its actually corporatocratic, which I find far more troublesome and worrying on a global level than a pandemic.

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 07:41 - Nov 24 with 2272 viewsKeno

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 07:37 - Nov 24 by Keaneish

There’s an air of arrogant indignation about this which is as lamentable as it is laughable. The notion that someone should be rewarded for following the status quo as it’s some kind of self sacrifice is ridiculous; that is, if I’ve understood you right.

You seem to take information spoon fed to you by Government, Corporations or Royal Charter Institutions and pedal them as fact. The language you use tows the line with main stream media and public perception, no doubt common discourse in Clissold’s Latte drinking micro bubble but the reality is, it’s really not very scary out there. Those opting to take the vaccine really aren’t martyrs; I’d actually say they’re a product of fear but each to their own.

As for the point about Authoritarianism labelled “nonsense” by yourself, a phrase you typically like to police others with, I fail to see how it isn’t. The enforcement of strict obedience at the expense of personal freedom is exactly what’s happening here - that is the very definition of authoritarianism. It’s through a different lens and in relation to the post, its actually corporatocratic, which I find far more troublesome and worrying on a global level than a pandemic.

Fine

If you don’t want the vaccine then stay home out the way.

If you can’t see the benefits then I am sorry for toy and liken you to someone who in a war says I,m not going to fight cos those pesky bullets might hurt me but them expects others to die to protect you

The anti vax lot are simply mis informed cowards of the highest order who should all hang their heads in shame

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 07:47 - Nov 24 with 2269 viewsNewcyBlue

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 17:07 - Nov 23 by bluelagos

Have posted about this before, but the yellow fever thing (is basically a small passport size book (cardboard outer, pages inside) where each vaccination is stamped by the vaccinator (signed and dated too) much like a stamp for a car service. One page lists your details such as passport number so they are not transferable.

You carry it with you along with your passport and then present it at immigration in countries that require it.

It really isn't a major logistical issue to print them, fill them in, keep them and then present them as needed. Am sure a simple certificate from a doctor would also suffice as proof of vaccination for many countries.

I had to have proof of cholera vaccination for one west African country. Forget which.

That wasn’t a pleasant vaccine to have!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 08:08 - Nov 24 with 2255 viewsKeno

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 07:47 - Nov 24 by NewcyBlue

I had to have proof of cholera vaccination for one west African country. Forget which.

That wasn’t a pleasant vaccine to have!

But probably not as unpleasant as having cholera

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 08:13 - Nov 24 with 2252 viewstextbackup

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 07:37 - Nov 24 by Keaneish

assume you'll not be travelling anywhere in the future then.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 08:21 - Nov 24 with 2245 viewsNewcyBlue

Qantas saying no vaccine, no travel on 08:08 - Nov 24 by Keno

But probably not as unpleasant as having cholera

Agreed!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024