Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The case for Lambert 00:51 - Nov 24 with 4383 viewsChocorange

We are third in the table.

We have a way of playing that runs through every team at the club, an identity is being built, we will get better the more we play it (and see point 4 , below regarding first choice players. )

We were very unlucky with decisions against us away to Lincoln and away to Sunderland , could easily have had 3 more points than we have .

We have a number of injuries , saturday we lost Nolan and bishop injured to add to a not fully fit Norwood , injured top scorer Gwion , injured right back Vincent Young which in turn impacts central defence and Dozzell suspended .. thats 6 players from what is arguably our first choice team.

We have already seen MM hounded out for results football, ( and look where that got us) yet at the moment we ‘fans ‘ seem to want to hound out another manager gettin results ... yes it was a rubbish finish To last season, it does not mean it will be this season.

We outplayed Sunderland from 30 minutes on, including with ten men, and we had a right go at Pompey with our reserves against their 1st team , beaten only by an offside goal.

I am not a happy clapper, and heaven knows I can’t see why Sears is picked .... but let’s be positive, if it goes right , enjoy the ride ...if it goes wrong , we can criticise then and Lambert will be gone , but for now let’s do what it says on the supporters tin..and support.

Is it really that important to be able to say I told you so...if it does go wrong ?
Wouldn’t it be great to say i told you so when we get promoted?
The case for Lambert on 00:52 - Nov 24 with 3261 viewsdominiciawful

It already went wrong twelve months ago.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

The case for Lambert on 03:13 - Nov 24 with 3195 viewsmadmouse1959

Pick the best players !!!
[Post edited 24 Nov 2020 6:34]

shampoo dave

The case for Lambert on 03:51 - Nov 24 with 3184 viewsBlueBadger

Reasons to keep Lambert:

1. We have to pay him off
2. He might buy the fans some more drinks sometime.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The case for Lambert on 08:24 - Nov 24 with 3035 viewsIpswichKnight

If he doesn’t get it right we’ll be in league 1 still with a ton of players leaving as contracts expire including Dozzell and we won’t be able to afford to keep or replace them due to salary cap.

We have no margin for error and there are better replacements out there who are better managers/coaches they will be gone to our rivals if we don’t act.

He failed to keep us in the Championship and he failed to get us promoted ( with supposedly the best squad that finished in the best position of 11th ) if we fail to win the 2 home games he should be gone.
The case for Lambert on 08:24 - Nov 24 with 3044 viewshomer_123

I think it's important that we clarify and understand something here.

'I am not a happy clapper, and heaven knows I can’t see why Sears is picked .... but let’s be positive, if it goes right , enjoy the ride ...if it goes wrong , we can criticise then and Lambert will be gone , but for now let’s do what it says on the supporters tin..and support.'

Lambert was brought in, first and foremost, to keep us in the Championship. He failed, we never once looked like making any kind of fist of staying up.

Lamberts second task was to gain promotion back to the Championship in the event of relegation. Last season we started the beginning of the season, winning games without playing well but never pushed on and struggled. He failed to gain promotion last season.

Lamberts aim, again, is promotion. he's built 'his' team. So far this season, it's a case of deja vu. We are winning but playing poorly and, currently, look awfully similar to last year.

So - when you 'if it goes wrong' - hasn't it somewhat gone tits up already to a large degree. We are in League 1 - yes, we are sitting OK in the League at the moment but that, again, is despite some pretty awful performances and we know, from last season, that you cannot go on winning games whilst playing poorly for the whole season.

I love my club and I want us to do well and I'd be more than happy is Lambert delivered but please, lets not be blind to the situation we are in, it's looking increasingly unlikely that Lambert will deliver - all the current evidence suggests he won't - I'm more than happy to be wrong.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2020 8:29]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The case for Lambert on 08:45 - Nov 24 with 2985 viewsHerbivore

Genuine questions here:

What exactly is this style that you see being implemented through the club?

What makes you think it is an effective style (assuming there is one)?

Why do you think we will improve, given that the opposite has happened in Lambert's previous two seasons here and given that our form and performances have been significantly poorer over our last 6 games than they were in our opening 6 games?

If Lambert was a new manager he'd deserve the benefit of the doubt but we've now had two years of him and it's patently obvious that whatever he had as a manager nearly a decade ago at Norwich, he no longer has. We don't look well drilled. We don't get better as seasons progress. All I see for Lambert from those that still support him is a lot of excuses and baseless hope.

This isn't about wanting to say I told you so, it's about wanting Town to progress and get better and to get out of this league ASAP. For me that only happens with a new manager at the helm given Lambert's performance here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The case for Lambert on 08:52 - Nov 24 with 2967 viewsdelias_cheesy_flaps

The case for Lambert on 08:24 - Nov 24 by homer_123

'I am not a happy clapper, and heaven knows I can’t see why Sears is picked .... but let’s be positive, if it goes right , enjoy the ride ...if it goes wrong , we can criticise then and Lambert will be gone , but for now let’s do what it says on the supporters tin..and support.'

Lambert was brought in, first and foremost, to keep us in the Championship. He failed, we never once looked like making any kind of fist of staying up.

Lamberts second task was to gain promotion back to the Championship in the event of relegation. Last season we started the beginning of the season, winning games without playing well but never pushed on and struggled. He failed to gain promotion last season.

Lamberts aim, again, is promotion. he's built 'his' team. So far this season, it's a case of deja vu. We are winning but playing poorly and, currently, look awfully similar to last year.

So - when you 'if it goes wrong' - hasn't it somewhat gone tits up already to a large degree. We are in League 1 - yes, we are sitting OK in the League at the moment but that, again, is despite some pretty awful performances and we know, from last season, that you cannot go on winning games whilst playing poorly for the whole season.

I love my club and I want us to do well and I'd be more than happy is Lambert delivered but please, lets not be blind to the situation we are in, it's looking increasingly unlikely that Lambert will deliver - all the current evidence suggests he won't - I'm more than happy to be wrong.

Spot on observations, which the majority seem to have forgotten!

The most concerning thing for me is our total inability to put in a cohesive, entertaining display for 90 minutes, not once has this feat been achieved by a Lambert team.

Supporters on the whole want to be entertained not ground into submission watching their beloved team attempting to play football!

Blog: This Might Rub You Up the Wrong Way, it Might Not!

The case for Lambert on 08:52 - Nov 24 with 2960 viewshype313

This, in a nutshell.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

As it's a matchday and.... on 09:14 - Nov 24 with 2918 viewsBloots

....I totally believe in positive energy and spiritual karma, I'll let this one go.

COYFBs.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

The case for Lambert on 09:19 - Nov 24 with 2902 viewsKeno

The only case for Lambert is one like this

packed full of the things from his desk ready for him to leave

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The case for Lambert on 09:22 - Nov 24 with 2894 viewspatrickswell

I disagree on the notion that he's built “his team”. There are still plenty of McCarthy/Hurst signings around the squad, not all of which have imposed themselves either on the Championship or League 1. Of Lambert’s own (few) marquee signings, Judge has underperformed while Norwood and Vincent-Young have spent substantial time either carrying injuries or out altogether.

The style of play is clear to see: retain possession and work space for attacks. It needs to be done a little quicker and it would help if he played ball players like Woolfenden in order to get it started. It’s a style which clearly benefits Dozzell as he has really come on a lot as a player this season.
The case for Lambert on 09:41 - Nov 24 with 2841 viewsHerbivore

The case for Lambert on 09:22 - Nov 24 by patrickswell

I disagree on the notion that he's built “his team”. There are still plenty of McCarthy/Hurst signings around the squad, not all of which have imposed themselves either on the Championship or League 1. Of Lambert’s own (few) marquee signings, Judge has underperformed while Norwood and Vincent-Young have spent substantial time either carrying injuries or out altogether.

The style of play is clear to see: retain possession and work space for attacks. It needs to be done a little quicker and it would help if he played ball players like Woolfenden in order to get it started. It’s a style which clearly benefits Dozzell as he has really come on a lot as a player this season.

There are almost no players in the first team squad that Lambert didn't either sign or give a new contract to. One of the few is Jackson and he's been trying to get him to sign a new deal too. So it's a stretch to say that this isn't Lambert's squad at this point, nobody forced him to offer these players contracts or to sign them.

As for the style of play, we aren't really working space for attacks are we? Let's be honest about it. It's mostly slow passing across the back four followed by a punt out to the wing. That's not really a clear style of play, and if it is then it's not an effective one as we're not creating chances. We're also getting worse at it, we're 12th in the current form table even after winning on Saturday.

The case for Lambert on 11:58 - Nov 24 with 2758 viewsGarv

The case for Lambert on 09:41 - Nov 24 by Herbivore

There are almost no players in the first team squad that Lambert didn't either sign or give a new contract to. One of the few is Jackson and he's been trying to get him to sign a new deal too. So it's a stretch to say that this isn't Lambert's squad at this point, nobody forced him to offer these players contracts or to sign them.

As for the style of play, we aren't really working space for attacks are we? Let's be honest about it. It's mostly slow passing across the back four followed by a punt out to the wing. That's not really a clear style of play, and if it is then it's not an effective one as we're not creating chances. We're also getting worse at it, we're 12th in the current form table even after winning on Saturday.

Would you not say the winner on Saturday resulted from working space for the attack? Build up was patient (too patient I probably said at the time) and the ball was sent in from wide to the edge of the box where the chance was created. I didn't see a punt out to the wing during that attack.

What's wrong with using a diagonal pass to start an attack anyway? Granted it won't always come off, Toto would attest to that, but we've done them well at times this season, especially when Dozzell plays.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Indeed on 12:03 - Nov 24 with 2748 viewsDyland

As it's a matchday and.... on 09:14 - Nov 24 by Bloots

....I totally believe in positive energy and spiritual karma, I'll let this one go.

COYFBs.

COYFB

I would be absolutely delighted if we beat Hull. Yes, even if it's spawny and we play sh1t. Ffs, I was bouncing around laughing like a loon when we scored the winner against Shrews. The idea there are some fans who are secretly gutted when we get a spawny win is such absurd nonsense.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Indeed, I want us to win..... on 12:28 - Nov 24 with 2691 viewsBloots

Indeed on 12:03 - Nov 24 by Dyland

COYFB

I would be absolutely delighted if we beat Hull. Yes, even if it's spawny and we play sh1t. Ffs, I was bouncing around laughing like a loon when we scored the winner against Shrews. The idea there are some fans who are secretly gutted when we get a spawny win is such absurd nonsense.

....every game by 5 goals and for Lambert to end up being the greatest manager that this club has ever had.

I think a few of the youngsters forget or don't realise that we actually used to be a good football team and old gits like me struggle to accept our demise.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

The case for Lambert on 12:34 - Nov 24 with 2675 viewsSE1blue

We really have to get promoted this year, or it is extremely likely than any quality that we have in the squad - the ones that are managing to get us these wins when we're playing poorly - will disappear.

If that happens, Lambert has to disappear as well.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

The case for Lambert on 12:39 - Nov 24 with 2658 viewsHerbivore

The case for Lambert on 11:58 - Nov 24 by Garv

Would you not say the winner on Saturday resulted from working space for the attack? Build up was patient (too patient I probably said at the time) and the ball was sent in from wide to the edge of the box where the chance was created. I didn't see a punt out to the wing during that attack.

What's wrong with using a diagonal pass to start an attack anyway? Granted it won't always come off, Toto would attest to that, but we've done them well at times this season, especially when Dozzell plays.

So are we keeping possession with short passing or playing it direct to the flanks or some sort of hybrid of both? Whatever we're doing we don't look to be doing it that well and we don't seem to be getting better at it.

The case for Lambert on 12:53 - Nov 24 with 2632 viewsKeaneish

Agree with all of that bar one point. When PL came in, there were a few performances, which showed signs that would we could recover. As with last season, there have been signs that we would win the league playing at a canter or playing at tempo. These signs have been few and far between though and there’s no consistency which makes all of your other points, bang on.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The case for Lambert on 13:06 - Nov 24 with 2600 viewsChocorange

The case for Lambert on 12:39 - Nov 24 by Herbivore

So are we keeping possession with short passing or playing it direct to the flanks or some sort of hybrid of both? Whatever we're doing we don't look to be doing it that well and we don't seem to be getting better at it.

The reason I say is we will improve is as with anything in life.... the more you do it , the better you become at it. Practice makes perfect and yes I agree there’s a lot of improvement that still needs to come.

In terms of style , I watched Brum v Coventry on Friday and our way ( way is a more apt word than style ) of playing is very similar to Coventry who won league 1 last season. Lots of possession and passing across the back 4 with occasional diagonal long passes.

It does look to me like part of the plan is to wear the other team down... most games we start very slowly with constant passing across the back , the opposition forwards close us down for a bit then they get tired of chasing pointless balls or simply tire.

At the same time , starting Sears and/or Judge and playing long diagonal passes tires their defenders.
This all means that in the second half many of the opposition are tired and we also have sometimes stronger wing options ( than Sears) to come on against them. Thus we score more second half goals ... is this the Lambert master plan?
He himself made a comment after Accrington in the presser that he knew they couldn’t close us down for 90 minutes. Is that an indication of his tactical thoughts?

Also you may remember the scum had a lot of possession and also seemed to score a lot of late goals when they went up to the premier league a couple of years ago too... a common link here is Gill who was there to set their style of play up.

So I guess , if that is the plan we should all stand up and applaud as Toto passes to McGuinness for the 50th time in the first half ,

It may not be pretty but in the main it is getting results so far ..especially when the poor refereeing decisions at Lincoln and Sunderland and the injuries we have are factored in.
The case for Lambert on 13:15 - Nov 24 with 2578 viewsGarv

100% both. We've done both fairly regularly during the season.

We've got a lot better at this this season compared to last. We won the game (eventually) on Saturday by doing it. Granted the rest of the game was flat, but if Lankester scores his chance early on, or Jackson makes more of his opening at the edge of the box on his left foot with no defenders in front of him, then things look somewhat different.

The league game before that was Sunderland where we played well and had a reasonable shout at winning the game, let alone only drawing it. We're not going to do it every game. Crewe, for example, outplayed us for the first half of that game, possibly longer, when they were supposed to be one of the league's minnows, so we never got into our own stride. I think we just need to realise our form will go in and out, especially considering our ridiculous injury list.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The case for Lambert on 13:18 - Nov 24 with 2569 viewsHerbivore

The case for Lambert on 13:06 - Nov 24 by Chocorange

The reason I say is we will improve is as with anything in life.... the more you do it , the better you become at it. Practice makes perfect and yes I agree there’s a lot of improvement that still needs to come.

In terms of style , I watched Brum v Coventry on Friday and our way ( way is a more apt word than style ) of playing is very similar to Coventry who won league 1 last season. Lots of possession and passing across the back 4 with occasional diagonal long passes.

It does look to me like part of the plan is to wear the other team down... most games we start very slowly with constant passing across the back , the opposition forwards close us down for a bit then they get tired of chasing pointless balls or simply tire.

At the same time , starting Sears and/or Judge and playing long diagonal passes tires their defenders.
This all means that in the second half many of the opposition are tired and we also have sometimes stronger wing options ( than Sears) to come on against them. Thus we score more second half goals ... is this the Lambert master plan?
He himself made a comment after Accrington in the presser that he knew they couldn’t close us down for 90 minutes. Is that an indication of his tactical thoughts?

Also you may remember the scum had a lot of possession and also seemed to score a lot of late goals when they went up to the premier league a couple of years ago too... a common link here is Gill who was there to set their style of play up.

So I guess , if that is the plan we should all stand up and applaud as Toto passes to McGuinness for the 50th time in the first half ,

It may not be pretty but in the main it is getting results so far ..especially when the poor refereeing decisions at Lincoln and Sunderland and the injuries we have are factored in.

Although if practice makes perfect you'd think we'd be getting better, when our form and performances are getting worse. Same thing happened last season. It's hard to have much faith that we will make progress under Lambert.

The case for Lambert on 13:20 - Nov 24 with 2566 viewshype313

In 2 and a half years of his tenure, there clearly isn't a case.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The case for Lambert on 13:21 - Nov 24 with 2562 viewsSomethingBlue

Is it not allowed to be both though? Can name plenty of sides that pass it around and also love a ping out to the flank, which is something I see nothing wrong with as long as there's a sender and a recipient.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Indeed, I want us to win..... on 13:28 - Nov 24 with 2545 viewsSuperCoops

Indeed, I want us to win..... on 12:28 - Nov 24 by Bloots

....every game by 5 goals and for Lambert to end up being the greatest manager that this club has ever had.

I think a few of the youngsters forget or don't realise that we actually used to be a good football team and old gits like me struggle to accept our demise.

"old gits like me struggle to accept our demise."

I'm not sure how old you are, I'm probably close to that category too but I do think that is an element of the problem. People still think of us batting away in the Premier League, even winning the UEFA Cup (added by the reminder on the current kit).

Sadly, we're a world away from that. McCarthy contributed that, in my eyes Hurst had a massive impact on that and Lambert hasn't done to change that much either.

Bring back John Duncan!
The case for Lambert on 13:29 - Nov 24 with 2535 viewsHerbivore

The case for Lambert on 13:21 - Nov 24 by SomethingBlue

Is it not allowed to be both though? Can name plenty of sides that pass it around and also love a ping out to the flank, which is something I see nothing wrong with as long as there's a sender and a recipient.

But the way we do it is so slow, predictable and ponderous that it can't really be described as an effective style. Actually, Burley's sides weren't averse to pinging a direct ball out to Scowie on the right whilst largely playing a passing game. But those sides played with pace and purpose as well and had a very clear way of playing and observable patterns of play.

I just don't see that with us at all. In fact I'm not even sure that how we've played in the last 6 games looks the same as how we played in the first 6 games, even if we've stuck with the same 4-3-3 formation. I know you're trying to stay positive but I'm really struggling to see any cause for optimism based on how we're playing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024