Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The injury thing (again)* 08:55 - Nov 25 with 753 viewsGuthrum

Obviously, we are not the only club whose players - important players - get injuries, even long term ones. But we do seem to be losing almost all our key men** for the majority of the season (and often from pretty much the start), virtually every year. That doesn't appear to be happening at most other places - or they are somehow able to get around the situation.

Is it a matter that players don't get enough recuperation and overdo it during pre-season preparation? Do we rush them back into the team too quickly after injury? I don't know any answers, but we can't be left working on drastically reduced squads so often.

* This is not meant as an excuse for last night
** Particularly the creative ones.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The injury thing (again)* on 09:04 - Nov 25 with 710 viewsHerbivore

There's definitely something not right. We've lost three players to injury in the last two matches whilst our opponents haven't lost any. What is so different between us and other sides that we struggle to get through 90 minutes without at least one player picking up an injury whilst others get through unscathed? That's before even getting on to the injuries in training.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The injury thing (again)* on 09:06 - Nov 25 with 707 viewshomer_123

It's a concern for sure - it's been going on for a while though.

I remember Newcastle having a similar problem years back and, I think, it turned out to be an issue with the training ground (the actual surface) that was causing problems?

Personally, there does appear to be something very wrong with how we manage injuries.

For example, Dozzell. In the game that he sustained his major injury - he'd gone down in an earlier challenge extremely awkwardly and after intensive time spent with the physio he was allowed to carry on. I remember thinking and saying at the time, he should have been hauled off as I had no doubt that by allowing him to play on - it exacerbated the injury.

Couple that with how we then work to get players fits, when returning from injury - we really seem to struggle and I don't know why.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The injury thing (again)* on 09:06 - Nov 25 with 703 viewshype313

Liverpool have had some rotten luck with Injuries but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule, also, to be fair they have world class players to come in when the first choice get injured so it's not as critical as it is for us, due to the fact all our promotion eggs rest on Downes and Dozzell.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The injury thing (again)* on 09:07 - Nov 25 with 703 viewsBasuco

Freddie last night appeared to get caught, from a distance maybe, but we do need to separate impact injuries from a player just breaking down. Bish was definitely hit badly on Saturday, so yes we have a lot of key layers out but a number are just bad luck.
The injury thing (again)* on 09:18 - Nov 25 with 682 viewsBent_double

I don't know if it's got anything to do with injuries, but one thing I noticed about last night was the fear our players had of putting in a challenge - which is maybe why at least 3 players failed to close down the Hull guy before he scored after a minute.

If the players are fearful of doing something wrong, or even not sure what they are supposed to be doing and don't have confidence in themselves, then perhaps that leaves them more vulnerable to injury?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

The injury thing (again)* on 09:22 - Nov 25 with 674 viewsGuthrum

The injury thing (again)* on 09:07 - Nov 25 by Basuco

Freddie last night appeared to get caught, from a distance maybe, but we do need to separate impact injuries from a player just breaking down. Bish was definitely hit badly on Saturday, so yes we have a lot of key layers out but a number are just bad luck.

A few questions follow on from that: Are our players particularly fragile when it comes to tackling injuries and, if so, why? Are they being caught with the ball more often than they ought to be (are passes too readable, is better movement needed)? Is it a function of constant pressure upon our midfield and other defending players, through being on the back foot? Is it something to do with physical conditioning? Are some of our players simply too small for the physicality?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The injury thing (again)* on 09:24 - Nov 25 with 662 viewsTieDyedIn95

The injury thing (again)* on 09:04 - Nov 25 by Herbivore

There's definitely something not right. We've lost three players to injury in the last two matches whilst our opponents haven't lost any. What is so different between us and other sides that we struggle to get through 90 minutes without at least one player picking up an injury whilst others get through unscathed? That's before even getting on to the injuries in training.

I am glad we rested everyone for those cup games.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

The injury thing (again)* on 09:41 - Nov 25 with 622 viewsSomethingBlue

The schedule is brutal but our opponents are, as you say, not being affected to anything like the same extent. Add to this our woeful track record over previous years and something is clearly wrong.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

The injury thing (again)* on 11:34 - Nov 25 with 537 viewsAce_High1

The injury thing (again)* on 09:41 - Nov 25 by SomethingBlue

The schedule is brutal but our opponents are, as you say, not being affected to anything like the same extent. Add to this our woeful track record over previous years and something is clearly wrong.

Can I ask, from outside (the media) why has there not been some more scrutiny of our injury issues?

The length of time our players take to rehab is a joke, coupled with the number of wrong initial diagnosis - how many times has a player got injured, been out for a few weeks, tired to train again and then ended up going for an operation and being out for 6 months?

It is so glaring that we have a problem here.

Injuries are part of football, but our trend of repeat injuries and players being out for months with knocks and muscle strains is a joke.

KVY????
The injury thing (again)* on 11:45 - Nov 25 with 510 viewsChocorange

Did the 2 week rest the players had by Lambert making so many changes for the 2 cup games have an impact?

Other teams didn’t make as many changes as we did... and don’t have the injuries we did.

I know that’s supposedly against any logic, leaving Bish to one side, Edwards Nolan and Sears all injured in a few days seems too big a coincidence.
Nolan also had the enforced rest from his sending off... let’s hope the same don’t happen to Dozz.
The injury thing (again)* on 12:56 - Nov 25 with 473 viewsArnieM

Training and conditioning regimes I think . Town picked up 3 injuries in training during the last International break. Also when our players get injured , it takes MONTHS not weeks , to get back to fitness.

Part of me feels sorry for Lambert regarding this as he’s deprived of his best players. BUT this is happening season after season after season. So there are intrinsic and extra factors at work here and the Club needs to look once again at what it does ....and does not do!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024