Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis 07:19 - Nov 26 with 7366 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

If we take it that Evans won’t be as patient as last year with Lambert of current results continue to disappoint as Phil has suggested. So we bring in someone new by late December/January. We’re around the playoffs let’s say for this scenario, maybe just outside them. But crucially top 2 is getting away from us. Who do we go for?

In no particular options, here are 5 of the names mentioned most for the job and a bit about them from yours truly.

1) Paul Cook - Seems to have improved the more experience hes gained. Didn’t do much early in his managerial career other than an Irish league title. More recently.. took Chesterfield up to league 1 and then got them in the playoffs the following year. Followed that up by winning League 2 with Portsmouth. Followed that up by winning league 1 with Wigan. Had them comfortably mid table last season but their off field problems resulted in them being relegated.

Pros - Knows how to win and get results and can deal with the expectations of big clubs who need promotion. Also said to play a good brand of football. Is currently available.

Cons - Could he now be deemed better than us? He may be waiting for a championship club to come along. Also, by the time we act with Lambert, he could’ve already been snapped up.

2) Danny Cowley - Smashed it as a non league manager at Concord and Braintree. Seemed to be well worth a punt for a league team and Lincoln gave him the chance. Did really well at Lincoln to take them from the conference up to League 1. Also, did well in the cups. Eventually went to Huddersfield but things never worked out there.

Pros - Has plenty of promotions on his CV. Will take the cups seriously (not relevant for this season though). Seemed to create a real togetherness at Lincoln. Is currently available.

Cons - Football is very direct. Hasn’t actually won a promotion from this division or better at any point in his career. Comes on the back of a failed time at Huddersfield in the championship.

3) Lee Johnson - Still relatively inexperienced in number of clubs having only managed Oldham, Barnsley and Bristol City. Seems to be a marmite manager for most people with some thinking he’s top quality and others seeing him as useless. It’s probably somewhere in the middle. Seems to be able to build clubs but hasn’t shown the ability to bring any real success to any of the three he’s managed.

Pros - Has steadily built something at all three clubs he’s been at. None have looked like going down under him (though that is irrelevant for us you’d like to think). The football is generally well received and, even if results aren’t going his way, he sticks to his eye catching brand of football which is admirable. Is currently available.

Cons - Has NEVER won a promotion as a manager. Is coming off the back of a sacking after spending huge money at Bristol City and never getting the end result. His teams often go on long winning runs but then followed up with huge runs of poor results.

4) Kieron Dyer - Unknown quantity as a manager despite a high class career on the pitch. Has been doing a lot of coaching in recent years without breaking through to the first team role anywhere as he’d hoped.

Pros - Knows the club inside out. Would be likely guided by a wise head like a Terry Butcher or someone of that ilk. Could be a hidden gem as a manager, despite having no experience. Knows the youth well already. Would be cheap. Is currently available.

Cons - Has never managed a club. Huge negative. He would be a big punt right now with no experience behind him.

5) Nigel Pearson - He’s managed for many years and that experience as a manager at a much higher level could be useful. Has also got promoted from this league and has actually done well at his recent teams in this country.

Pros - Performed a bit of a miracle at Watford in his last job (Premier League) but was harshly sacked. Has won promotions from this league. Teams have been known to play good football. Hasn’t been one to turn down a challenge and we’re the sort of club he’d go for (perhaps more so if in the championship though). Notoriously good for getting a short term impact. Would definitely ruffle some feathers of senior pros who absolutely need it. Is currently available.

Cons - A fiery character who perhaps has a bit of Hurst in him with his anger. Probably out of the budget that Evans would pay. League 1 might be beneath him at the moment.

My preference - Paul Cook
[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 7:33]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 07:26 - Nov 26 with 3170 viewswkj

I wouldn't put it past Evans to hire someone like Ian Dowie

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 07:34 - Nov 26 with 3129 viewsAce_High1

What is Steve Cotteril up to?
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 07:46 - Nov 26 with 3069 viewsmikeybloo88

Pearson is far and away the best manager and I'd have him in an instant, but there is no chance he'd come to us. Cowley's supposed style is over exaggerated, I saw Lincoln quite a few times when he was there and they played a lot of good football, people think it was all about lumping it up to Rhead but it really wasn't. He'd instil a good work ethic, my only concern being we have too many players who don't want to work. Cook's teams have impressed so yes, he seems the best option. But whoever it is, he'll need to get rid of a few and bring in some who want to play their hearts out every week.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 7:47]
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 07:57 - Nov 26 with 3039 viewsdavblue

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 07:26 - Nov 26 by wkj

I wouldn't put it past Evans to hire someone like Ian Dowie

He does have a promotion on his cv in the last 10-20 years. He’s a prime candidate.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:24 - Nov 26 with 2981 viewsitfcjoe

I think to say things didn't work out at Huddersfield for the Cowleys is wrong - they kept them up from an impossible position without spending anything

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:32 - Nov 26 with 2948 viewsPlums

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:24 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

I think to say things didn't work out at Huddersfield for the Cowleys is wrong - they kept them up from an impossible position without spending anything

They do, they were very harshly treated - having fulfilled the brief. However, we are on the outside looking in at Huddersfield and would have other fans saying the same about us if Lambert goes now or soon.
I’ve seen a couple of clips of Cook in the Man City documentary recently and it didn’t sit well with me. Ranting and raving at officials, he looked anything but a calm head. Perhaps it was just a couple of off days and the pressure of playing City on big occasions.
The Cowleys for me - despite the reservations I had about their use of Matt Rhead.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:32 - Nov 26 with 2948 viewsportmanking

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:24 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

I was going to say something similar. In actual fact, the Cowleys did a really good job at steering Huddersfield clear of the drop zone. They were on a hiding to nothing in that job anyhow, given that the club had very much peaked under David Wagner.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:42 - Nov 26 with 2903 viewsitfcjoe

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:32 - Nov 26 by Plums

They do, they were very harshly treated - having fulfilled the brief. However, we are on the outside looking in at Huddersfield and would have other fans saying the same about us if Lambert goes now or soon.
I’ve seen a couple of clips of Cook in the Man City documentary recently and it didn’t sit well with me. Ranting and raving at officials, he looked anything but a calm head. Perhaps it was just a couple of off days and the pressure of playing City on big occasions.
The Cowleys for me - despite the reservations I had about their use of Matt Rhead.

I don't think it's the same - the Cowleys demonstrably achieved their brief at Huddersfield, whereas Lambert has failed his twice here now - there might be a bit of shock that we are 5th, but there is a clear backstory whereas no backstory at Hudds other than them doing their job

Login to get fewer ads

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:42 - Nov 26 with 2895 viewsitfcjoe

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:32 - Nov 26 by portmanking

I was going to say something similar. In actual fact, the Cowleys did a really good job at steering Huddersfield clear of the drop zone. They were on a hiding to nothing in that job anyhow, given that the club had very much peaked under David Wagner.

When they went in Huddersfield had won 1 competitive game in 10 months, hell of a turnaround

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:42 - Nov 26 with 2895 viewshype313

For a more in depth look at the Cowley's, here's a decent piece from a few years ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4302830/How-beat-Arsenal-Cliv

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:47 - Nov 26 with 2877 viewsHerbivore

Dyer for me. At this point I want someone with club connections who gets what Ipswich are meant to be about.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:00 - Nov 26 with 2823 viewsportmanking

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:42 - Nov 26 by hype313

For a more in depth look at the Cowley's, here's a decent piece from a few years ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4302830/How-beat-Arsenal-Cliv

Danny Cowley's an articulate chap. He also strikes me as someone who could command the respect of players young and old, unlike Lambert who is seeming only happy to sidle up to the senior pros.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:05 - Nov 26 with 2802 viewsMonkeyAlan

Pearson for me. The players need a jolt and he would give them one. I don't see the fuss with Cook. And the Cowleys arnt as great as people make out. Braintree and then Lincoln, with small fan bases suit them. Huddersfield wasn't that big of a success. I have a Huddersfield supporting mate, who said the football was as bad as MMs was at the end.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:08 - Nov 26 with 2781 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Good post, enjoyed reading that.

Cowley and Dyer are the more likely of candidate. Paul Cook possibly.

Johnson and Pearson would be out of budget probably, and looking for Championship clubs.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:11 - Nov 26 with 2770 viewsitfcjoe

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:00 - Nov 26 by portmanking

Danny Cowley's an articulate chap. He also strikes me as someone who could command the respect of players young and old, unlike Lambert who is seeming only happy to sidle up to the senior pros.

I think it will only take someone to organise us on the football pitch and a bit of man management to give the players a bit of confidence

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:14 - Nov 26 with 2753 viewsportmanking

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:11 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

I think it will only take someone to organise us on the football pitch and a bit of man management to give the players a bit of confidence

Absolutely. Someone that is prepared to allow them to express themselves and let them solve problems on the field themselves.

I remember watching a short vid on their time at Lincoln and many of the players said that he and his brother made them all feel ten feet tall. You get the feeling our players need that cajoling, we don't have strong characters in the dressing room.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:15 - Nov 26 with 2745 viewsSomethingBlue

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:32 - Nov 26 by Plums

Funnily enough their use of Matt Rhead is exactly what they should be hailed from the rooftops for — journeyman with no track record at all to speak of, and was on his way out when they arrived, who they converted into the best target man at that level and played a massive part in getting them where they are today.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 9:19]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:17 - Nov 26 with 2734 viewsdirtyboy

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 08:47 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

Dyer for me. At this point I want someone with club connections who gets what Ipswich are meant to be about.

Ordinarilly, i'd be against this type of appointment, however...

He's played at the arguably the highest level and will have seen from players around him what it takes to be at that level. I think we can all agree, that injury free he'd have been better regarded all around.

He's been managed by Bobby Robson and also has the Ipswich connection.

If there was a 'plan' in place, he'd get far more time than most given these connections if progress was seen to be made.

It's a punt, but Lampard and Gerrard have made the transitions.

It would be fairly obvious to those around the ground whether he has the nous to do the job I'd suspect.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:17 - Nov 26 with 2727 viewsKeno

You missed of Gary Megson

Pro's - would unite the fans

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:33 - Nov 26 with 2658 viewsRobTheMonk

I think Pearson will be looking at Championship clubs unless he's offered an offer too good to turn down.

Potentially the same with Cook with regards to a lower to lower mid Championship club.

Which leaves Cowley or Dyer for me. Don't think Johnson will be in the running.

Or a complete curb-ball...
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:37 - Nov 26 with 2629 viewshype313

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:33 - Nov 26 by RobTheMonk

I think Pearson will be looking at Championship clubs unless he's offered an offer too good to turn down.

Potentially the same with Cook with regards to a lower to lower mid Championship club.

Which leaves Cowley or Dyer for me. Don't think Johnson will be in the running.

Or a complete curb-ball...

I think even Cowley will be waiting for a Championship gig, we're getting to sacking season now.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:44 - Nov 26 with 2600 viewsBloomBlue

I think the Cowley's football style is hoof football and boring but will get us promoted however it won't succeed in the Championship, yes it will probably avoid relegation but that's it and if that's what this club wants then once again kicking out MM was stupid.

Some Leeds fans were on the radio after they won promotion to the Prem talking about their years away from it and w specifically their time in L1. They said they had the Wise/Poyet mgmt where the style was nice on the eye, they then had the x-player in McAllister again pleasing on the eye but you never felt they would get them to the Champ and then Grayson with his basic, kick the players up the ar$e style got them promoted but wasn't going to take them anyway else

So give the Cowley's a 2 year contract get us prompted and then sack them and bring in a different manager who's style will take us to the next level
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:45 - Nov 26 with 2590 viewsSomethingBlue

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:44 - Nov 26 by BloomBlue

I think the Cowley's football style is hoof football and boring but will get us promoted however it won't succeed in the Championship, yes it will probably avoid relegation but that's it and if that's what this club wants then once again kicking out MM was stupid.

Some Leeds fans were on the radio after they won promotion to the Prem talking about their years away from it and w specifically their time in L1. They said they had the Wise/Poyet mgmt where the style was nice on the eye, they then had the x-player in McAllister again pleasing on the eye but you never felt they would get them to the Champ and then Grayson with his basic, kick the players up the ar$e style got them promoted but wasn't going to take them anyway else

So give the Cowley's a 2 year contract get us prompted and then sack them and bring in a different manager who's style will take us to the next level

Think the Cowleys are just very good at adapting to what they have. Didn't hoof it at Huddersfield or before they were at Lincoln. It's a skill in itself, and not one to sniff at.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:47 - Nov 26 with 2580 viewsthebooks

Thanks for that, good to think these things through.

My feeling is that the good ones there — Cowley, Cook and Pearson — will get better jobs anyway. I’d be amazed (and delighted) if we ended up with Pearson.

It’s tough at the moment idetifying possible managers. I’d love Dyer to work out, but a big risk... like someone else said, perhaps there are better untried options (Liam Rosenior seems a good prospect...)

Someone from abroad, perhaps? Evans hasn’t taken a punt on that yet.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:48 - Nov 26 with 2570 viewsHerbivore

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:47 - Nov 26 by thebooks

Thanks for that, good to think these things through.

My feeling is that the good ones there — Cowley, Cook and Pearson — will get better jobs anyway. I’d be amazed (and delighted) if we ended up with Pearson.

It’s tough at the moment idetifying possible managers. I’d love Dyer to work out, but a big risk... like someone else said, perhaps there are better untried options (Liam Rosenior seems a good prospect...)

Someone from abroad, perhaps? Evans hasn’t taken a punt on that yet.

Pearson is an awful individual and not what we need at the club right now.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024