Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maradona vs CR / Messi 14:02 - Nov 26 with 1957 viewsX0Y0

Was Maradona better than Ronaldo and Messi?

Unfortunately, I’m too young to have watched much of him in his prime, and I’ve often felt the standard of football has significantly improved over time. However, watching the footage back, I was struck by just how bad the tackling was. Every game, almost every time he dribbled, there was what would be described as a potential career ending tackling nowadays, and most of the time he glides out of the way. Teddy Bishop’s career would have lasted about 10 minutes if he was playing then!
[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 14:03]
Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:06 - Nov 26 with 1583 viewsitfcjoe

Yep, a different game and so hard to judge across eras - ultimatley they are all a huge level above their peers, like Pele was before and are true legends of the game.

Whoever is number 1 or 2 or 3 in some peoples opinions isn't that important - a case can be made for all of them, and not many others , if any, are in the conversation

The excellent Tim Vickery often notes that what was worse in 1986, Terry Fenwick smashing him twice with an elbow to the side of the head, and England trying to kick him out of the game every time he got it, or him punching the ball home?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:11 - Nov 26 with 1558 viewsbluelagos

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Maradona played at a time when tackling was brutal. One of his great abilities was to ride a tackle, to jump with it, keep his feet and control of the ball, knowing that was one less player to beat.

Ronaldo and Messi are brilliant footballers, but I'd have Maradona ahead of them.

In England many remember him for his hand ball while conveniently forgetting Lineker and Owen were quite content taking a dive to win a penalty for their country. Forget all that cr*p and judge him on what he achieved which was quite simply phenomenal. Napoli were not a table topping side full of galaticos - and he took took them to the Scudetto twice.

The documentary about him is currently on 4 catch up. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:13 - Nov 26 with 1553 viewsChrisd

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:06 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

Yep, a different game and so hard to judge across eras - ultimatley they are all a huge level above their peers, like Pele was before and are true legends of the game.

Whoever is number 1 or 2 or 3 in some peoples opinions isn't that important - a case can be made for all of them, and not many others , if any, are in the conversation

The excellent Tim Vickery often notes that what was worse in 1986, Terry Fenwick smashing him twice with an elbow to the side of the head, and England trying to kick him out of the game every time he got it, or him punching the ball home?

Did you hear Terry Fenwick talking on TalkSPORT last night about that QF game in 1986? He said he was amazed at Maradona's toughness and durability, not just his footballing ability. He smashed him with an elbow (as you rightly pointed out) across the face, Maradona went off for treatment, Fenwick said,' that's him out of the game' and then within minute he's bouncing about the touchline waiting to come back on again. He was a wonderful player during that World Cup tournament, probably at his peak.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:13 - Nov 26 with 1546 viewshype313

It's so subjective, when you look at Maradona and what he did with Napoli and the Argentine national team, essentially by himself then you look at the players Messi and Ronaldo have had to play with then it's night and day.

And as much as Messi gets kicked, nowhere near the levels Diego got.

I suppose it boils down to personal choice, whilst Ronaldo has achieved more than them both with various teams, if I was to pay money to watch then it would be Maradona and Messi.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:13 - Nov 26 with 1541 viewssolemio

Pele
Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:16 - Nov 26 with 1521 viewsChrisd

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:11 - Nov 26 by bluelagos

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Maradona played at a time when tackling was brutal. One of his great abilities was to ride a tackle, to jump with it, keep his feet and control of the ball, knowing that was one less player to beat.

Ronaldo and Messi are brilliant footballers, but I'd have Maradona ahead of them.

In England many remember him for his hand ball while conveniently forgetting Lineker and Owen were quite content taking a dive to win a penalty for their country. Forget all that cr*p and judge him on what he achieved which was quite simply phenomenal. Napoli were not a table topping side full of galaticos - and he took took them to the Scudetto twice.

The documentary about him is currently on 4 catch up. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Also, look at the standard of the pitches now to then, they are like carpets. You look at Maradona's second goal against us that ball is bouncing up off the turf, but he has still got it fully under control.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:18 - Nov 26 with 1513 viewsitfcjoe

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:16 - Nov 26 by Chrisd

Also, look at the standard of the pitches now to then, they are like carpets. You look at Maradona's second goal against us that ball is bouncing up off the turf, but he has still got it fully under control.

This is why comparing across eras is impossible - it's not Messi's fault that pitches are better and he gets more protection.

Maradona would have been brilliant today, Messi would have been brilliant in Maradona's era

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:22 - Nov 26 with 1494 viewsJackPITFC

Could you also include Brazillian R9 Ronaldo into this discussion also?
Login to get fewer ads

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:26 - Nov 26 with 1477 viewshomer_123

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:18 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

This is why comparing across eras is impossible - it's not Messi's fault that pitches are better and he gets more protection.

Maradona would have been brilliant today, Messi would have been brilliant in Maradona's era

All of those factors made Maradona though - it's also why you can't compare.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:27 - Nov 26 with 1474 viewshomer_123

I think the easy and simple way to look at it is:

Would they get in Paul Lamberts first XI?

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:27 - Nov 26 with 1472 viewshomer_123

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:13 - Nov 26 by hype313

It's so subjective, when you look at Maradona and what he did with Napoli and the Argentine national team, essentially by himself then you look at the players Messi and Ronaldo have had to play with then it's night and day.

I suppose it boils down to personal choice, whilst Ronaldo has achieved more than them both with various teams, if I was to pay money to watch then it would be Maradona and Messi.

The original Ronaldo and Best are both players I would happily to pay to watch play.

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:29 - Nov 26 with 1461 viewsX0Y0

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:18 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

Argentina have declared 3 days of mourning for Maradona - that must be a record for a footballer!

Agree they are all brilliant. My respect for Maradona’s ability has increased since reading and watching more following his passing. Vickery has a nice line that states ‘you can tell the history of South American football through him’, and there is a strong argument Maradona had a greater impact on football, in terms of impact on South America and achievements in Europe, than anyone else.
Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:35 - Nov 26 with 1427 viewsrickw

Obviously all brilliant. Maradona didn't get the goal returns Messi and CR have gotten, also because of drugs Maradona was effectively finished at that sublime level by the time he was 30.

However Maradona inspired Argentina to win the world cup and make the following final too. He also joined a lower table team in Napoli and took them to winning 2 league titles and the UEFA cup.

The Brazilian Ronaldo was also at their level but only until he was he was 22 then injuries and illness took him down a level.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:44 - Nov 26 with 1396 viewsX0Y0

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:11 - Nov 26 by bluelagos

Like documentaries so will definitely check it out. Do you now if it’s the one by the same person who produced the Senna and Amy documentaries?
Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:44 - Nov 26 with 1389 viewsHerbivore

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:13 - Nov 26 by hype313

It's a bit of a myth that Maradona basically did everything single handedly at Napoli and with Argentina. They had other very good players, Napoli were spending big money at the time and signed the likes of Careca and a couple of Italian internationals to boot. They had the likes of Ciro Ferrara already on their books who has won loads of caps for Italy. The fact that Napoli could sign someone like Maradona from Barcelona tells you that they weren't exactly minnows.

That Argentina team wasn't exactly awful either, very well organised and had some quality in the likes of Valdano and Burrachaga. Don't get me wrong, Maradona was ridiculous for a few years in the mid to late 80s but he wasn't elevating panel beaters to world beaters, he was aided by having good players around him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:47 - Nov 26 with 1379 viewsitfcjoe

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:44 - Nov 26 by X0Y0

Like documentaries so will definitely check it out. Do you now if it’s the one by the same person who produced the Senna and Amy documentaries?

It is, and it is superb

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:54 - Nov 26 with 1367 viewsclive_baker

Magilton

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 15:02 - Nov 26 with 1354 viewsjimsymBLUE

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:22 - Nov 26 by JackPITFC

Could you also include Brazillian R9 Ronaldo into this discussion also?

Yep, unfortunately his knee injury in 99 when he completely ruptured his tendon meant he was never quite the same, but most exhilarating player I've ever seen in his admittedly short pomp.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 15:06 - Nov 26 with 1342 viewsOsborneOneNil

Maradona, best player of all time.
Maradona vs CR / Messi on 15:15 - Nov 26 with 1316 viewsBloomBlue

I still think Eusebio was better than any of those 3 but Pele is the greatest ever
Maradona vs CR / Messi on 15:16 - Nov 26 with 1316 viewsITFC_96

When Messi retires he will be considered the greatest of all time by more people.
Maradona vs CR / Messi on 15:20 - Nov 26 with 1300 viewsWD19

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:13 - Nov 26 by solemio

Pele

Sylvester Stallone.
Maradona vs CR / Messi on 15:26 - Nov 26 with 1290 viewsRocky

Different style to Messi in that Maradona ran at people with electric pace and strength and was almost impossible to knock off the ball. Both played with superb close control, Maradona just had that extra power. On the other hand, Messi can pick a killer pass to go with his superb control.
Maradona vs CR / Messi on 15:28 - Nov 26 with 1282 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 14:27 - Nov 26 by homer_123

I think the easy and simple way to look at it is:

Would they get in Paul Lamberts first XI?

Depends if Alan Judge is fit.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 15:30 - Nov 26 with 1282 viewsHerbivore

Maradona vs CR / Messi on 15:26 - Nov 26 by Rocky

Different style to Messi in that Maradona ran at people with electric pace and strength and was almost impossible to knock off the ball. Both played with superb close control, Maradona just had that extra power. On the other hand, Messi can pick a killer pass to go with his superb control.

I think this is what sets Messi apart for me. You could play him in the Pirlo role and he'd run games, you can play him on either flank and he'll get on the ball and run at players and score goals and create chances, you can play him as a 10 obviously, and you can even play him right up top as a false 9. His goalscoring record is astonishing but he offers so much more than just goals, the number of assists he provides is incredible and his general influence on games is as well. Maradona was a better dribbler than Messi and thrived on the big occasion more naturally than Messi. When you look at how many years Messi has sustained his level for it's very impressive.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024