Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert 00:58 - Nov 29 with 1288 viewstractordownsouth

Which ones have been the most damaging to ITFC, in order?

Obviously this is all with hindsight but here goes...

1) Hurst... Still think that he was the worst, purely because of how far we dropped in his short reign. Of course the squad Mick left him with was threadbare and we needed some additions, but he never seemed to do enough to persuade some of the top players to stay. It was common knowledge that Joe Garner wanted to go, but there were never any noises about Adam Webster being unhappy until Hurst came in, and to replace him with Nsiala and Donacien, two of the worst signings we've ever made, was lunacy. The alienation of senior players with the Billy Big B0ll0cks attitude was bizarre, having come up from the lower divisions - terrible man management.

2) Lambert... If he doesn't get the chop before the new year, I think that's our season done - and with so many key players' contracts up, we're looking at a Hurst-style rebuild within the constraints of the salary cap. I was willing to give him a free hit in 2018/19 but to have finished 11th with one of the best resourced clubs in the league was a shambles, and although the system has become more settled, the random team selections are still the same. He's on his way to squandering the 2 best chances we'll get for promotion, and the long term consequences of that are dire. Not as bad as Hurst purely because I think someone half decent could get us up with the current squad, meaning the recruitment hasn't been terrible, but squad management has been dire.

3) Keane... Long term consequences of this one were pretty bad as well as it made Evans stop spending on fees, more or less. The squad he inherited was probably 3 or 4 additions away from being a top 6 side, but he managed to spunk away money on Priskin and Martin, both of whom are regularly mentioned in debates about the worst value ITFC signings. Add to that the sale of Rhodes and David Wright and the recruitment was poor.Only saving grace is that he got us to the League Cup semi and just about managed to keep us up , so the short term damage was limited, but that performance was still well below par. Awful man manager again.

4) Jewell... the reason he's the least terrible is because he's the only one of the 4 who inherited a poor squad for the level we were playing at - Lambert's championship squad was worse, but was good enough to get out of L1. That said, the short termism was ridiculous and it's a miracle that Mick managed to turn us into a play off side just 2 years on. Had we not been saved in 2012/13, he probably would have been considered worse than Keane.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 02:06 - Nov 29 with 1211 viewshaynes_toe1

I actually think Lambert tops it and its not an emotional off the cuff thought. I believed it from the moment we were relegated from the championship.

I'll caveat this by saying I've barely been to games in the past 10 years, but looking from afar (often abroad lucky me) I saw nothing to suggest Lambert was any better than Hurst- instead he delivered a worse points per game but covered it up with buying fans pints and complimenting match goers.

Unfortunately it worked because there was a lot of "Lambert gets it" stuff on here which was rubbish. He didn't get anything other than realise the fans were so disillusioned he could have them on strings.

I believe if Hurst had stayed in charge we'd have lost a lot of senior players but then, I think he would have given League One a better stab than Lambert has.
Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 03:01 - Nov 29 with 1195 viewsEl_Fenix

The common factor that links these failed managerial appointments is the owner, Marcus Evans. Neither Evans, nor his managerial appointees, have ever set out to fail; but the times, they have been a-changing.

Evans and his companies have lost £10's of millions, while his failed managerial appointees have received significant payoffs. Evans should recognize this pattern; find ways to minimize or mitigate his losses; take the losses; and move on. In the context of a League 1 salary cap, a new owner could operate with positive cash flow and invest in the regeneration of the club.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 08:05 - Nov 29 with 1090 viewsDurovigutum

Keane. By a distance. He ripped apart the academy system which had always been the way we functioned financially - historically a sale every year or two and a small rebuild, based on a young player being almost good enough to replace a more seasoned pro worth money. With no youth, that went, Klug went (to Spurs) and we had no option but to spend. When that didn't work we struggled for an alternative and when MM arrived there wasn't really much youth for him to pick. That slowly improved, but instead of Dyer, Bramble, Wright, Scowcroft, Bent it was Emmanuel and Kenlock plus Bishop (who I rate but is made of glass). Dozzell has come along since, but had that season out. This meant that MM was having to balance a poor budget and take punts on players like Bru and Douglas - some worked, some didn't, instead of having a solid youth option.

Our owner is, in a football sense, the embodiment of the Peter principal. I see a lot of CIOs like him, out of their depth and thrashing around for something, anything, to fix their problems without putting in the basics of a sound operating model. MM fixed a fair bit, put sticking plasters on most of the rest, but it wasn't his job to solve large parts of the gaps. Those gaps still exist.
Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 08:17 - Nov 29 with 1055 viewsjas0999

Lambert by a mile. His record is simply atrocious. Hursts is poor, but over a shorter time. Also, Evans stood by and let Hurst rip the squad to bits. He also let Hurst spend on fees OR wages which is a ridiculous approach. Evans also made a c £5M transfer profit that fateful summer.

Keane got us to the semi finals of the league cup. Increased the clubs appeal. But was ultimately a poor manager. Jewell dreadful to.

Overall, Lambert by a mile. The rest all bad.
Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 09:01 - Nov 29 with 998 viewsGuthrum

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 08:05 - Nov 29 by Durovigutum

Keane. By a distance. He ripped apart the academy system which had always been the way we functioned financially - historically a sale every year or two and a small rebuild, based on a young player being almost good enough to replace a more seasoned pro worth money. With no youth, that went, Klug went (to Spurs) and we had no option but to spend. When that didn't work we struggled for an alternative and when MM arrived there wasn't really much youth for him to pick. That slowly improved, but instead of Dyer, Bramble, Wright, Scowcroft, Bent it was Emmanuel and Kenlock plus Bishop (who I rate but is made of glass). Dozzell has come along since, but had that season out. This meant that MM was having to balance a poor budget and take punts on players like Bru and Douglas - some worked, some didn't, instead of having a solid youth option.

Our owner is, in a football sense, the embodiment of the Peter principal. I see a lot of CIOs like him, out of their depth and thrashing around for something, anything, to fix their problems without putting in the basics of a sound operating model. MM fixed a fair bit, put sticking plasters on most of the rest, but it wasn't his job to solve large parts of the gaps. Those gaps still exist.

Indeed. Keane turned us from an upper-end Championship side into strugglers, while spending the majority of Evans' "buy a football club and get it promoted" fund (on fees we can only dream of now). He started the rot.

Tho Lambert is a close second, having gone from Championship strugglers to League One mid-table strugglers under his watch.

Jewell tried his best but failed (which is forgivable - at least he stepped away when he could do no more) and Hurst was out of his depth.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 09:12 - Nov 29 with 972 viewsbrogansnose

Quite frankly, I could set Hurst, Keane and Lambert loose on Martlesham Heath, give them 60 seconds start, then set the dogs on them.

Some managers are just not that good - Jewell for example - but those three have actually been damaging to the long term well being of the club and at critical points in the wider goings on in modern football. We truly have been on the wrong side of history, however, I would maintain that if Evans had placed a D of F to oversee his investment ,then the impact of those three would have been limited.
Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 09:53 - Nov 29 with 930 viewstractordownsouth

The fact that within the first 4 posts, Keane, Hurst and Lambert have all been picked as the worst by various posters shows how terrible they've all been.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 10:50 - Nov 29 with 878 viewsBlueBadger

From worst to least-worst:

1) Keane -

Laid the foundation for all that was to follow. Dismantled a number of club structures, tore apart team morale, wasted untold millions.
The after-effects of his reign are still being felt in Marcus Evans' apparent reluctance to invest in anything ITFC-wise.

2) Lambert - he could have quite easily been at the bottom of the list had he actually achieved one of his targets. As it is, thanks to his efforts we're staring down the barrel of being condemned to the lower leagues for a long, long time, unable to to compete thanks to the salary cap, should we actually somehow achieve promotion despite his efforts. Time wil only tell if he overtakes Keane.

3) Hurst - Could have easily swapped places with Lambert were it not for the short space of time his tenure lasted. Whilst he did a LOT of damage in a short space of time, that could have been mitigated had his successor either somehow kept us up(unlikely but not impossible) or achieved a swift promotion back to the Championship.

4) Jewell - he was crap, but that's about it.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2020 14:53]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 11:15 - Nov 29 with 830 viewsParisBlue

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 10:50 - Nov 29 by BlueBadger

1) Keane -

Laid the foundation for all that was to follow. Dismantled a number of club structures, tore apart team morale, wasted untold millions.
The after-effects of his reign are still being felt in Marcus Evans' apparent reluctance to invest in anything ITFC-wise.

2) Lambert - he could have quite easily been at the bottom of the list had he actually achieved one of his targets. As it is, thanks to his efforts we're staring down the barrel of being condemned to the lower leagues for a long, long time, unable to to compete thanks to the salary cap, should we actually somehow achieve promotion despite his efforts. Time wil only tell if he overtakes Keane.

3) Hurst - Could have easily swapped places with Lambert were it not for the short space of time his tenure lasted. Whilst he did a LOT of damage in a short space of time, that could have been mitigated had his successor either somehow kept us up(unlikely but not impossible) or achieved a swift promotion back to the Championship.

Of the 4 Jewell was the worst appointment but probably achieved what we all expected. The other 3 took us backwards.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 11:16 - Nov 29 with 821 viewsjayessess

Lambert >>>> Hurst >>>>> Jewell >>>>> Keane.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 11:26 - Nov 29 with 793 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 11:38 - Nov 29 with 776 viewsPJH

Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert on 10:50 - Nov 29 by BlueBadger

1) Keane -

I think the other three have now started to make Paul Jewell look pretty good.

Personally I still make Hurst the worst by quite a long way because of the huge amount of damage that he did in such a short amount of time.

I now make Lambert marginally worse than Keane.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024