Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? 18:20 - Nov 29 with 1352 viewsstiff_talking

If Marcus is going to stick by his man can he explain it ?

The answer will say a lot about his ambition and desire for the club.
Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 18:30 - Nov 29 with 1315 viewsWD19

The only reason I could think of at the time was that it was to remove any remaining excuses. At the time Lambert was starting to look left and right for excuses to a form ‘blip’.
Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 18:41 - Nov 29 with 1285 viewsFixed_It

5 year deal was offered whilst we were flying high. Lambert dragged his heels and then signed it just before we played Wycombe - by which time we were no longer flying high and people were gobsmacked!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 18:56 - Nov 29 with 1250 viewsRegencyBlue

I think it was to shut Lambert up.

From memory Lambert had started to make noises, in the months before the contract was given, about the squad needing strengthening and was heavily implying the owner would have to do more. At that time Lamberts standing with the majority of supporters was still quite high and I think Evans saw that he might have a problem from that. I genuinely think he decided it would be cheaper to buy Lambert off with a long contract.

I might be completely wrong but, coincidentally, since being given the contract extension not one more word of criticism of our illustrious owner has passed Lamberts lips!
Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 19:10 - Nov 29 with 1203 viewsstiff_talking

Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 18:56 - Nov 29 by RegencyBlue

I think it was to shut Lambert up.

From memory Lambert had started to make noises, in the months before the contract was given, about the squad needing strengthening and was heavily implying the owner would have to do more. At that time Lamberts standing with the majority of supporters was still quite high and I think Evans saw that he might have a problem from that. I genuinely think he decided it would be cheaper to buy Lambert off with a long contract.

I might be completely wrong but, coincidentally, since being given the contract extension not one more word of criticism of our illustrious owner has passed Lamberts lips!

Evans runs the club then based upon his own image and not what the club actually needs ?
Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 19:23 - Nov 29 with 1163 viewsBluedanW

Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 18:41 - Nov 29 by Fixed_It

5 year deal was offered whilst we were flying high. Lambert dragged his heels and then signed it just before we played Wycombe - by which time we were no longer flying high and people were gobsmacked!

We were far from flying high. We were on an awful run of results. I think it was more to do with all the good things off the pitch that lambert had done to make the fans feel wanted. Inviting ex players back etc. Sadly as always it was badly timed as those good actions were a distant memory due to the poor results. This time last year was when Evans should have wealded the axe. Whilst we were in the midst of an awful run at the lowest level of football out once great club has played at for 50 years. However instead of his P45 he recieved a contract extension. Unbelievable Jeff
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 19:24]
Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 19:28 - Nov 29 with 1152 viewsRegencyBlue

Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 19:10 - Nov 29 by stiff_talking

Evans runs the club then based upon his own image and not what the club actually needs ?

My opinion is he didn’t want a manager who was effectively saying the same as what most supporters were thinking, namely that Evans needed to spend more on the squad or our decline would continue.

At the time the contract was being negotiated we had started well and Lamberts stock with our support was high. Evans might have thought he could be forced to defend his way of doing things rather more than he had been up until then, or indeed since, and didn’t fancy that so he bought him off.

Purely a guess on my part as I say.
Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 19:35 - Nov 29 with 1117 viewsFixed_It

Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 19:23 - Nov 29 by BluedanW

We were far from flying high. We were on an awful run of results. I think it was more to do with all the good things off the pitch that lambert had done to make the fans feel wanted. Inviting ex players back etc. Sadly as always it was badly timed as those good actions were a distant memory due to the poor results. This time last year was when Evans should have wealded the axe. Whilst we were in the midst of an awful run at the lowest level of football out once great club has played at for 50 years. However instead of his P45 he recieved a contract extension. Unbelievable Jeff
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 19:24]

We were top of the league when negotiations started. The fact that it wasn't withdrawn when our results started to slip is the biggest mystery.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 19:42 - Nov 29 with 1094 viewsStenvict

I've always thought it was because in the original contract there maybe wasn't a failure to get promoted clause as it was still unclear we would be in L1 when he was appointed. And as a compromise, Evans made it 5 years, but he'll get the boot if we fail to get promoted. Or something like that.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Login to get fewer ads

Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 23:07 - Nov 29 with 976 viewsstiff_talking

Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 19:42 - Nov 29 by Stenvict

I've always thought it was because in the original contract there maybe wasn't a failure to get promoted clause as it was still unclear we would be in L1 when he was appointed. And as a compromise, Evans made it 5 years, but he'll get the boot if we fail to get promoted. Or something like that.

Lambert has attempted the same formation and tactics since leaving Norwich. It has never been successful but he is very comfortable coaching it. Coaching isn’t easy without the spot light so he needs to be comfortable with what he is doing. Last year he was looking for answers which did happen. So this year he reverted back to comfy slippers. He is being lazy.

When he came he was heading every ball and you could feel and see his enthusiasm. Now he looks jaded, bored and out of answers
Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 23:47 - Nov 29 with 939 viewsBLUEBEAT

Five years is a really long time in football.

For a supposed master businessman, Evans really is wet behind the ears when it comes to the ways of football.

When you consider that his two closest footballing confidantes are Harry Redknapp and Barry Fry, who is obviously deeply involved with a rival League One club, you have to worry...

Poll: W or W

Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 00:07 - Nov 30 with 926 viewsstiff_talking

Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 23:47 - Nov 29 by BLUEBEAT

Five years is a really long time in football.

For a supposed master businessman, Evans really is wet behind the ears when it comes to the ways of football.

When you consider that his two closest footballing confidantes are Harry Redknapp and Barry Fry, who is obviously deeply involved with a rival League One club, you have to worry...

Agree 5 years is unprecedented period of time to give anyone a deal

Evans never explained it.

Is Lambert too safe in the role to warrant actually performing.
Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 08:27 - Nov 30 with 794 viewsWD19

Why did Lambert get 5 year deal? on 00:07 - Nov 30 by stiff_talking

Agree 5 years is unprecedented period of time to give anyone a deal

Evans never explained it.

Is Lambert too safe in the role to warrant actually performing.

Not entirely unprecedented. Pardew got given an eight year one at Newcastle!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024