Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How times have changed 21:44 - Nov 29 with 1847 viewsgtsb1966

Channel 5 have just given out a warning about their next program and how it could offend people. It's the Dick Emery show FFS. Offensive...really!!!!
How times have changed on 21:46 - Nov 29 with 1801 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Oooh, you are awful......but i like you

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

How times have changed on 21:50 - Nov 29 with 1761 viewsOldsmoker

If you're gay but not camp then it may well be offensive.
If you're gay post your comments after this one.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 22:06]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

How times have changed on 22:00 - Nov 29 with 1730 viewsBlueBadger

Some of it has dated very badly. A bit like Mammy Two Shoes from the Tom and Jerry cartoons. It's probably a more healthy thing to say 'here it is, some of it looks a little iffy nowadays' than not show it or cack-handedly edit it out.

I'm a massive fan of Spike Milligan but by 'eck some of the attitudes, language and terms in his war diaries(in particular) have dated badly.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How times have changed on 22:03 - Nov 29 with 1715 viewsleftback

Just been reading a commentator on the Lincoln game has been sacked by bbc after describing a scuffle between the players as ‘handbags’ which has offended someone .
Worlds gone mad
How times have changed on 22:06 - Nov 29 with 1680 viewsWD19

How times have changed on 22:03 - Nov 29 by leftback

Just been reading a commentator on the Lincoln game has been sacked by bbc after describing a scuffle between the players as ‘handbags’ which has offended someone .
Worlds gone mad

Pundit Steve Thompson won't be used by the BBC for the rest of the year, following three sexist comments made in 20 minutes during Swindon Town vs Lincoln City.

The 65-year-old, sometimes known as "Tommo", was working for the broadcaster as a freelancer when he made the remarks, which included describing a scuffle between two players as "handbags".

Also in the same 20-minute spell, Thompson said: "I think the referee's wife's in" and referred to a player as: "Being a bit of a drama queen... he'd have been better wearing a skirt."
How times have changed on 22:07 - Nov 29 with 1660 viewsgtsb1966

Worlds gone mad

That must be a wind up surely!!!
How times have changed on 22:08 - Nov 29 with 1642 views26_Paz

How times have changed on 22:06 - Nov 29 by WD19

Pundit Steve Thompson won't be used by the BBC for the rest of the year, following three sexist comments made in 20 minutes during Swindon Town vs Lincoln City.

The 65-year-old, sometimes known as "Tommo", was working for the broadcaster as a freelancer when he made the remarks, which included describing a scuffle between two players as "handbags".

Also in the same 20-minute spell, Thompson said: "I think the referee's wife's in" and referred to a player as: "Being a bit of a drama queen... he'd have been better wearing a skirt."

They’ve sacked him for that?! Insane, absolute madness.

The Paz Man

How times have changed on 22:09 - Nov 29 with 1636 viewsWD19

How times have changed on 22:08 - Nov 29 by 26_Paz

They’ve sacked him for that?! Insane, absolute madness.

No, they have dropped him for 4 weeks.
Login to get fewer ads

How times have changed on 22:09 - Nov 29 with 1640 viewsfooters

How times have changed on 22:00 - Nov 29 by BlueBadger

Some of it has dated very badly. A bit like Mammy Two Shoes from the Tom and Jerry cartoons. It's probably a more healthy thing to say 'here it is, some of it looks a little iffy nowadays' than not show it or cack-handedly edit it out.

I'm a massive fan of Spike Milligan but by 'eck some of the attitudes, language and terms in his war diaries(in particular) have dated badly.

Yeah, same on Milligan. I've been reading a few of his things recently and some of it makes my toes curl. I know it's not intentional from him, but in 2020 it just reads very badly.

Times changes, attitudes change, but we must realise that this is for, usually, good reason.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How times have changed on 22:10 - Nov 29 with 1626 views26_Paz

How times have changed on 22:09 - Nov 29 by WD19

No, they have dropped him for 4 weeks.

Still over the top

The Paz Man

How times have changed on 22:11 - Nov 29 with 1609 viewsBlueBadger

How times have changed on 22:10 - Nov 29 by 26_Paz

Still over the top

He should run for public office. You'd probably vote for him.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

How times have changed on 22:12 - Nov 29 with 1590 viewsfooters

How times have changed on 22:10 - Nov 29 by 26_Paz

Still over the top

Yawn.

Won't go over it with you for the umpteenth time, but you're a straight, white, right-wing bloke who is offended that other people who aren't straight, white and right-wing find other things people say offensive.

It isn't your place to determine that, my friend.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How times have changed on 22:13 - Nov 29 with 1584 viewsgtsb1966

How times have changed on 22:09 - Nov 29 by footers

Yeah, same on Milligan. I've been reading a few of his things recently and some of it makes my toes curl. I know it's not intentional from him, but in 2020 it just reads very badly.

Times changes, attitudes change, but we must realise that this is for, usually, good reason.

I've got every episode of It ain't half hot mum on dvd. No TV channel will show it now and I can understand why but it still makes me laugh.
How times have changed on 22:13 - Nov 29 with 1582 views26_Paz

How times have changed on 22:11 - Nov 29 by BlueBadger

He should run for public office. You'd probably vote for him.

I have no idea what his politics are so can’t say if I would or not to be honest

The Paz Man

How times have changed on 22:17 - Nov 29 with 1551 viewsBlueBadger

How times have changed on 22:09 - Nov 29 by footers

He was an odd one was Milligan. Loved jazz when(in his words) pubic opinion on it was akin to what it is on heroin nowadays, could speak fluent Urdu, could make you laugh or cry with a clever twist on words, was clearly sympathetic in his writings to local non combatants in Africa particularly and fretted about what might happen to Jewish comrades-in-arms should they be captured but then there was stuff like 'Curry and Chips' which was regarded as REALLY racist even in the 60's.

He was genius. A really flawed one. Like most are. I suspect it's the price you pay for being one.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 22:21]

How times have changed on 22:18 - Nov 29 with 1535 viewsBlueBadger

How times have changed on 22:13 - Nov 29 by 26_Paz

I have no idea what his politics are so can’t say if I would or not to be honest

You've been very keen on voting for people making homophobic jokes in the past, I'm just extrapolating. Hell, if you look at the wider context its clear it's just banta.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 22:24]

How times have changed on 22:20 - Nov 29 with 1525 viewsBlueBadger

How times have changed on 22:13 - Nov 29 by gtsb1966

I've got every episode of It ain't half hot mum on dvd. No TV channel will show it now and I can understand why but it still makes me laugh.

BSM Williams is one of comedy's greatest monsters. Up there with Basil Fawlty. It's a shame he was in a show that's dated so very, very badly.

How times have changed on 22:21 - Nov 29 with 1506 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How times have changed on 22:06 - Nov 29 by WD19

Great example of picking and choosing quotes to make a point.

To say he was "sacked for describing a scuffle as handbags" hardly represents the rest of what is here.

To see it as he won't be used for 4 weeks because of the sum of these comments seems far more reasonable. Commentators have to realise what they might have said to their mates in the past is not something they can carelessly say on air.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

How times have changed on 22:27 - Nov 29 with 1478 viewsfactual_blue

Worlds gone mad

He's a freelance.

He simply won't be used by them for the rest of 2020

He'll be back on air in the new year.

There were three separate incidents of language outwith the BBC's guidelines within twenty minutes of each other, including
'a bit of a drama queen….. he’d have been better wearing a skirt.'

In 2018 he had a written warning for similarly inappropriate language.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bbc-football-pundit-steve-thompson-

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How times have changed on 22:28 - Nov 29 with 1474 viewsgtsb1966

How times have changed on 22:20 - Nov 29 by BlueBadger

BSM Williams is one of comedy's greatest monsters. Up there with Basil Fawlty. It's a shame he was in a show that's dated so very, very badly.

The one comedy I never liked and even for the day I thought was full of cheap innuendos and not clever comedy at all was Love thy neighbour. Even for the 70's it was dreadful.
How times have changed on 22:31 - Nov 29 with 1444 viewsfactual_blue

How times have changed on 22:20 - Nov 29 by BlueBadger

I always liked Franker Skinner's observation that IAHHM featured Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's dad: La-di-da Gunner Graham.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How times have changed on 22:31 - Nov 29 with 1439 viewsBlueBadger

How times have changed on 22:28 - Nov 29 by gtsb1966

The one comedy I never liked and even for the day I thought was full of cheap innuendos and not clever comedy at all was Love thy neighbour. Even for the 70's it was dreadful.

It is still, weirdly popular in Nigeria and the West Indies, apparently, at least, according to Wikipedia.

How times have changed on 22:44 - Nov 29 with 1399 viewsRocky

How times have changed on 22:00 - Nov 29 by BlueBadger

Just re-read some of the war diaries myself recently after many years and, like you, I was unpleasantly surprised at how dated some of it was.
How times have changed on 22:57 - Nov 29 with 1361 viewsBlueBadger

How times have changed on 22:44 - Nov 29 by Rocky

Just re-read some of the war diaries myself recently after many years and, like you, I was unpleasantly surprised at how dated some of it was.

A few of my grandparents' friends maintained that Milligan's diaries were a more authentic document of the Real War Experience and I will always love them, but you really do have to go in knowing what you're going to be reading.
I once lent my copies to an Indian colleague who reads them and handed them back saying 'it's a good account, some of it made me laugh a lot but you could have told me just how racist it was going to be'.

How times have changed on 11:01 - Nov 30 with 1085 viewsDebsyAngel

Same with Talking Pictures channel who put up a warning - about Runaround! Maybe some people could think Mike Reid calling someone a "donut" is offensive!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024