Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst ever Town manager 10:17 - Nov 30 with 3461 viewsHerbivore

Thought it might be interesting to revisit this topic. Back in the day it used to be, for most of us, a straight fight between Keane and Jewell, but then Hurst came along and rendered that debate somewhat pointless by being demonstrably terrible. That said, after 2 years of Lambert it's hard to not consider him a genuine challenger for this crown. Some nice words and deeds in his first 6 months in charge aside, he's proved to be an absolute car crash in every way.

So who edges it for you? It's a tough one. Hurst was clearly a catastrophe but he was only in the job a very short time and his record in the Championship was no worse than Lambert's was. Lambert's statute as a contender has been cemented by him being allowed to damage the club over a much longer period. He's overseen relegation, a midtable League 1 finish, and just over a quarter of a season of further midtable League 1 performances. That's a lengthy record of being terrible. Hurst at least was gone after 4 months and arguably we couldn't be in any worse a state now had we persevered with him. I probably still just about lean towards Hurst because he achieved so much damage in such a short space of time, but it's a tight race now and I never thought that would be possible given how poor Hurst was.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Worst ever Town manager on 10:22 - Nov 30 with 1787 viewshype313

Lambert for me, at least with Keane and Jewell we had some highs, albeit very infrequent. We haven't witnessed any progression under Lambert in his time here, he gave up trying to stay in the Championship, also, with the others you could see why they were all brought in, Lambert had done nothing in years to warrant the job here, and bar a few positive ,statements his time here so far has been woeful.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Worst ever Town manager on 10:25 - Nov 30 with 1776 viewsitfcjoe

Could you imagine 2.5 years ago talking about our worst ever manager and not even mentioning Keane or Jewell.....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Worst ever Town manager on 10:26 - Nov 30 with 1767 viewsRobTheMonk

As stated yesterday, Lambert by a hair. Hurst got thrown out quickly which allowed someone to come in and repair the damage. Only the damage never got close to being repaired and has got significantly worse!
Worst ever Town manager on 10:31 - Nov 30 with 1740 viewsKropotkin123

Yeah, I agree, Hurst just achieved so much destruction in such a short amount of time.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Worst ever Town manager on 10:32 - Nov 30 with 1737 viewsSteve_M

It's Hurst because of what he inherited and what he ruined in the space of one Summer. Lambert has been awful and failed to make the most of what he had but he at least leaves a basis for his successor to work with.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Worst ever Town manager on 10:32 - Nov 30 with 1731 viewsHerbivore

Worst ever Town manager on 10:25 - Nov 30 by itfcjoe

Could you imagine 2.5 years ago talking about our worst ever manager and not even mentioning Keane or Jewell.....

It's really depressing isn't it? Hurst was horrendous and we could have done with someone who was a safe pair of hands at that point, they didn't need to be a world beater, just fairly competent. Instead we've ended up with someone who is in the same ballpark of Hurst's level of incompetence. You couldn't make it up. I look back on the days of Keane and Jewell with a warm fuzzy glow.

Worst ever Town manager on 10:33 - Nov 30 with 1721 viewsKeno

Surely its Burley, after all he ruined us**

copyright NerdyKnowAll aka Voice of Reason about 2005

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Worst ever Town manager on 10:33 - Nov 30 with 1712 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Worst ever Town manager on 10:33 - Nov 30 by Keno

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Worst ever Town manager on 10:35 - Nov 30 with 1703 viewsDyland

It is still Hurst, and I would "like" to think it always will be in my lifetime. Feeling pretty pessimistic about our future though, and think even post Lambert we may be nowhere near our nadir.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Worst ever Town manager on 10:37 - Nov 30 with 1692 viewsHerbivore

Worst ever Town manager on 10:32 - Nov 30 by Steve_M

It's Hurst because of what he inherited and what he ruined in the space of one Summer. Lambert has been awful and failed to make the most of what he had but he at least leaves a basis for his successor to work with.

Yeah, that comes into it for sure. Hurst inherited a pretty decent Championship sqaud and decimated it in one transfer window. Lambert did inherit a mess and the squad on paper looks okay now, especially relative to the level we're at.

Worst ever Town manager on 10:37 - Nov 30 with 1686 viewsMrTown

As I said, Paul Lambert no.1 - then you dicuss the next.

Damage caused to this club is truly unfathomable. To think 3 and a half years left, on good wages.

Madness, pure madness.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Worst ever Town manager on 10:38 - Nov 30 with 1682 viewsJDB23

Said it before and will say it again, Hurst was the most destructive but Lambert has proven over a sustained period to very much be the worst manager we’ve ever had.
Worst ever Town manager on 10:40 - Nov 30 with 1671 viewsMrTown

Worst ever Town manager on 10:38 - Nov 30 by JDB23

Said it before and will say it again, Hurst was the most destructive but Lambert has proven over a sustained period to very much be the worst manager we’ve ever had.

Hurst bought the better League 1 players (mistake). Lambert can't get them better League 1 players in the top 10

Plus Woolfenden, plus Bishop, plus Norwood, plus Downes, plus Dozzell.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2020 10:52]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Worst ever Town manager on 10:41 - Nov 30 with 1678 viewsgordon

Hurst and Lambert have been terrible in quite opposite ways - Hurst focussed on coming across as an absolute tw*t from the get-go, being massively insecure and ridden with small-man syndrome, and completely out of his depth with higher quality players. He was determined to smash things up as much as possible in a couple of months.

Lambert on the other hand started out as everybody's mate, just wanted to get the feeling back, make it feel like a proper football team again, but he married that with utterly incomprehensible and awful tactics and team selections. He genuinely appears to have absolutely no idea why we play well or badly.

So for me, it has to be Lambert - he's just an utterly awful football manager; with Hurst we never truly found out how bad he could've been, because his personality meant he was out the door so quickly.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2020 10:41]
Worst ever Town manager on 10:41 - Nov 30 with 1662 viewsSteve_M

Worst ever Town manager on 10:33 - Nov 30 by Keno

* About 2001-2011 more like.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Worst ever Town manager on 10:42 - Nov 30 with 1652 viewsKeno

Worst ever Town manager on 10:41 - Nov 30 by Steve_M

* About 2001-2011 more like.

true,

Was he the same as Newmarket_Blue, I never was sure

That's well put Gorders on 10:42 - Nov 30 with 1653 viewsDyland

Worst ever Town manager on 10:41 - Nov 30 by gordon

Hurst and Lambert have been terrible in quite opposite ways - Hurst focussed on coming across as an absolute tw*t from the get-go, being massively insecure and ridden with small-man syndrome, and completely out of his depth with higher quality players. He was determined to smash things up as much as possible in a couple of months.

Lambert on the other hand started out as everybody's mate, just wanted to get the feeling back, make it feel like a proper football team again, but he married that with utterly incomprehensible and awful tactics and team selections. He genuinely appears to have absolutely no idea why we play well or badly.

So for me, it has to be Lambert - he's just an utterly awful football manager; with Hurst we never truly found out how bad he could've been, because his personality meant he was out the door so quickly.

nft

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Worst ever Town manager on 10:45 - Nov 30 with 1638 viewswkj

Hurst the worst, Lambert the most hated (for me)

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Worst ever Town manager on 10:47 - Nov 30 with 1634 viewsPJH

Hurst is still way out in front for me for the amount of damage he did in so little time.

Lambert now overtaken Keane as second worst but hopefully will not be here long enough to challenge Hurst for top spot.

Jewell no longer comes into the reckoning.
Worst ever Town manager on 10:48 - Nov 30 with 1631 viewsDubtractor

I remember the heady days when John Duncan was the worst, but he'd barely scrape the top 5 these days.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Worst ever Town manager on 10:49 - Nov 30 with 1624 viewshype313

Worst ever Town manager on 10:48 - Nov 30 by Dubtractor

I remember the heady days when John Duncan was the worst, but he'd barely scrape the top 5 these days.

Duncan has gone from number 1 on that list to number 6 within 6 years.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Worst ever Town manager on 10:50 - Nov 30 with 1619 viewsHerbivore

That's a decent take on it. Lambert does just seem to be utterly clueless, he doesn't seem to be able to coach or set up a side at all. It seems that coming in and giving everyone a lift is literally his only tangible skill as a manager, but that never lasts and for us it didn't see a bit uptick in results either. It's worth remembering that Hurst's selections and tactics were also erratic and incomprehensible for much of his brief stint as well though. I still wake up in a cold sweat thinking about Donacien at left wing back against Brentford.

Worst ever Town manager on 10:52 - Nov 30 with 1592 viewsdavblue

Worst ever Town manager on 10:32 - Nov 30 by Herbivore

It's really depressing isn't it? Hurst was horrendous and we could have done with someone who was a safe pair of hands at that point, they didn't need to be a world beater, just fairly competent. Instead we've ended up with someone who is in the same ballpark of Hurst's level of incompetence. You couldn't make it up. I look back on the days of Keane and Jewell with a warm fuzzy glow.

Keane tactically set the team up better than Lambert ever has.

His recruitment and man management were bad!
Worst ever Town manager on 10:53 - Nov 30 with 1582 viewsKeno

spot on Gordy

Worst ever Town manager on 10:53 - Nov 30 with 1587 viewsTNBlue

All our managerial appointments since ME took over have been disappointing.

Hurst is the worst for setting us on the unstoppable slide. Lambert a close second for not being able to stop the slide into league one and consequently keeping us stuck there. But the real damage was done by Hurst.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024