Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Telephone/Broadband news 18:22 - Nov 30 with 760 viewsBasuco

Mildenhall telephone exchange has been closed to new exchange lines over a copper pair of wires being ordered, from now on it will be fibre to the premises and and an IP telephone delivered over the broadband, rather than the broadband delivered over a telephone line.

By this time next year all of Ipswich could well go the same way and everyone has ultra high speed broadband, and only have a landline if you want one. By 2025 most if not all telephone exchanges will be switched off. Well behind most of the World UK broadband speeds will finally get up to speed.

BT were stopped from installing fibre to premises in the late 70's early 80's, it has taken 40 years for the privatised BT to get back to where the UK was way back then.
Telephone/Broadband news on 18:27 - Nov 30 with 743 viewswkj

If we manager to turn of most exchanges by 2025 i'd be over the moon, however, as a more rural customer I remain sceptical. A lot can still be done over copper, with tests exceeding 1gbps in some cases, but really it is time to retire it all together, and has been for nearly 30 years.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Telephone/Broadband news on 18:30 - Nov 30 with 727 viewsBasuco

Telephone/Broadband news on 18:27 - Nov 30 by wkj

If we manager to turn of most exchanges by 2025 i'd be over the moon, however, as a more rural customer I remain sceptical. A lot can still be done over copper, with tests exceeding 1gbps in some cases, but really it is time to retire it all together, and has been for nearly 30 years.

The focus is going to be on rural areas first apparently.
Telephone/Broadband news on 18:34 - Nov 30 with 709 viewswkj

Telephone/Broadband news on 18:30 - Nov 30 by Basuco

That will be welcome. I can't help but think this is one of the few wins from going through Covid 19. The UK was tested on how well it could work mostly online, and whilst I think the copper technology held it's own, I know many many Zoom calls and data heavy collaborative projects took entirely way too long over many short, but frequent latency issues.

I am curious if the rural roll out might be linked to the need to improve cell tower coverage. If the mobile providers could utilise VOIP access in rural areas it might be a rare case of killing 2 birds with one phone.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2020 18:35]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Telephone/Broadband news on 19:09 - Nov 30 with 669 viewsBasuco

Telephone/Broadband news on 18:34 - Nov 30 by wkj

That will be welcome. I can't help but think this is one of the few wins from going through Covid 19. The UK was tested on how well it could work mostly online, and whilst I think the copper technology held it's own, I know many many Zoom calls and data heavy collaborative projects took entirely way too long over many short, but frequent latency issues.

I am curious if the rural roll out might be linked to the need to improve cell tower coverage. If the mobile providers could utilise VOIP access in rural areas it might be a rare case of killing 2 birds with one phone.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2020 18:35]

I think it has more to do with the rural telephone network being in a very poor state, copper cables are expensive and difficult to maintain, so going fibre makes good long term economic sense. Salisbury is the next exchange to close to new customers, next week or even sooner.
Telephone/Broadband news on 19:11 - Nov 30 with 661 viewsBlue_Order

Mildenhall leading the way, as usual 😎
Telephone/Broadband news on 19:18 - Nov 30 with 645 viewsBasuco

Telephone/Broadband news on 19:11 - Nov 30 by Blue_Order

Mildenhall leading the way, as usual 😎

Could be more to do with the fact that it was (probably still is) an old crossbar exchange, there must be very few engineers still around who can maintain it and must be a nightmare to keep running.
Telephone/Broadband news on 21:20 - Nov 30 with 580 viewsfactual_blue

Telephone/Broadband news on 19:18 - Nov 30 by Basuco

Could be more to do with the fact that it was (probably still is) an old crossbar exchange, there must be very few engineers still around who can maintain it and must be a nightmare to keep running.

Here are the advanced telecomms currently used in Mildenhall

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Telephone/Broadband news on 21:48 - Nov 30 with 544 viewsElderGrizzly

Telephone/Broadband news on 18:30 - Nov 30 by Basuco

It is indeed. We had 900mb FTTH installed a couple of months ago with the new digital voice product
Login to get fewer ads

Telephone/Broadband news on 21:58 - Nov 30 with 525 viewsBlue_Order

Telephone/Broadband news on 21:20 - Nov 30 by factual_blue

Here are the advanced telecomms currently used in Mildenhall

They’ve got the haircuts spot on there too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024