Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
random things that bug you, and you don't know why 15:07 - Dec 1 with 2453 viewschrismakin

mine, is a 'second'

When you look at a standard clock and see the second hand move round, how does it know exactly how long a second is, you know that little tick sound, tick, tick, tick

what defines the second, how did they know that 2 seconds wasn't the actual speed that a second should be

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 15:11 - Dec 1 with 1815 viewsStokieBlue

Depends on the clock.

In a quartz it's X number of vibrations of the crystal. In an automatic it's the time it takes the cogs to turn.

If you want an exact definition it's:

"the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom"

Of course a second in general is a human concept.

Boring answer I am sure.

Things that bug me: Paul Lambert.

Unfortunately I do know why.

SB
[Post edited 1 Dec 2020 15:12]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 15:12 - Dec 1 with 1808 viewschrismakin

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 15:11 - Dec 1 by StokieBlue

Depends on the clock.

In a quartz it's X number of vibrations of the crystal. In an automatic it's the time it takes the cogs to turn.

"the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom"

Boring answer I am sure.

SB

I love and hate you for that answer

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 15:13 - Dec 1 with 1798 viewsbluelagos

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 15:11 - Dec 1 by StokieBlue

Depends on the clock.

Boring answer I am sure.

SB

Know it alls ;-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 15:14 - Dec 1 with 1792 viewsfooters

I do know why it bugs me, but people who walk two or three abreast on a busy pavement.

If I were king of the world the pavements would be divided into lanes.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 15:14 - Dec 1 with 1790 viewsbluelagos

Michael Ball on R2 on a Sunday annoys me far more than he should. Smug bellend.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 15:32 - Dec 1 with 1745 viewshomer_123

people who knock on a door and say 'knock, knock' as well....f*cking pointless.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:23 - Dec 1 with 1689 viewsKeno

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 15:32 - Dec 1 by homer_123

people who knock on a door and say 'knock, knock' as well....f*cking pointless.

Maybe they just want to tell you a joke

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:24 - Dec 1 with 1682 viewsNewcyBlue

Depends on the clock.

Boring answer I am sure.

SB

This gives me a hard on.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:28 - Dec 1 with 1671 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pedestrian crossings where they've put the lights (the green & red *men) on a little box at waist height on your side of the road. They used to be in front of you in the direction you wanted to cross. Now you have to try and look past the fat arse of the person next to you, and work out whether they're meant for you or for people crossing a different way (especially when you're in a traffic island).

It makes no sense whatsoever, seems dangerous even, and bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

*or figures of no particular gender even

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:29 - Dec 1 with 1665 viewsNthQldITFC

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 15:14 - Dec 1 by footers

I do know why it bugs me, but people who walk two or three abreast on a busy pavement.

I think it was a Ray Bradbury short story where they had adjacent bands each running a few mph faster than the previous one, so you could step sideways a few times and be travelling at a fair old lick.

Not sure how that's relevant except perhaps subconsciously when I saw your use of 'abreast' I had a need to write something finishing in 'lick'.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:30 - Dec 1 with 1662 viewsfactual_blue

It's commonly understood and historically defined as ​1⁄86400 of a day. But it's now something complicated involving an atom vibrating. Something like that.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:33 - Dec 1 with 1659 viewsartsbossbeard

Wasting 6hrs of my life watching a courtroom drama and patiently waiting for the inevitable plot twist only to find there isn't one.

*shakes fist at The Undoing*
[Post edited 1 Dec 2020 16:34]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:33 - Dec 1 with 1651 viewshype313

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:33 - Dec 1 by artsbossbeard

Wasting 6hrs of my life watching a courtroom drama and patiently waiting for the inevitable plot twist only to find there isn't one.

Yep, 6 hours of my life I'm never getting back.

It was tragic.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:35 - Dec 1 with 1633 viewsGeoffSentence

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 15:14 - Dec 1 by footers

Not so annoying as those groups of people who stop to have a chat on a busy pavement, oblivious to the other people who need to get past.

In fact people who are oblivious to the other people around them generally.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:38 - Dec 1 with 1606 viewsSpruceMoose

Depends on the clock.

Boring answer I am sure.

SB

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:39 - Dec 1 with 1591 viewsStokieBlue

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:38 - Dec 1 by SpruceMoose

Can't argue with that really.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:39 - Dec 1 with 1585 viewsFrimleyBlue

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:33 - Dec 1 by hype313

Yep, 6 hours of my life I'm never getting back.

It was tragic.

I have alot of hatred for the writers.

Since the first episode I was adamant it was the blonde friend as a twist

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:39 - Dec 1 with 1586 viewsKieran_Knows

Paul Lambert.

Cheese.

Football players who take ridiculous squad numbers (Rui Patricio - goalkeeper - number 11 as an example).

Stuart Taylor.

People using the self checkout service at supermarkets for their fortnightly shop.

Halloween.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:40 - Dec 1 with 1581 viewsclive_baker

On the same subject it annoys me that Roman numerals on clocks display 4 as IIII instead of IV.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:42 - Dec 1 with 1563 viewsSpruceMoose

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:39 - Dec 1 by StokieBlue

Can't argue with that really.

SB

It's why I love you x

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:42 - Dec 1 with 1560 viewsfactual_blue

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:40 - Dec 1 by clive_baker

On the same subject it annoys me that Roman numerals on clocks display 4 as IIII instead of IV.

It gives the clock a pleasing symmetry; the first four numbers all feature I, the next four feature V, and the last four feature X.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:55 - Dec 1 with 1528 viewsNewcyBlue

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:33 - Dec 1 by artsbossbeard

I’ll delete that from my to watch list now. Cheers.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:56 - Dec 1 with 1521 viewsartsbossbeard

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:55 - Dec 1 by NewcyBlue

I’ll delete that from my to watch list now. Cheers.

This is a service to TWTD peeps.

Believe me.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:59 - Dec 1 with 1511 viewsSpruceMoose

That was the exact experience in the Moose household watching that last night.

Still, not an unattractive murder victim! The first episode is worth a watch!

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:59 - Dec 1 with 1510 viewshype313

random things that bug you, and you don't know why on 16:39 - Dec 1 by FrimleyBlue

I have alot of hatred for the writers.

Since the first episode I was adamant it was the blonde friend as a twist

Yep, clearly tried to work the bluff, but it didn't work and the whole show was awful.

Very disappointed.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024