Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? 23:26 - Dec 2 with 2939 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

When he came in, he spoke with the fans, met Blue Action, brought some of the Town legends in like Burley and Wark and generally did everything he could to emphasise the fans being great and the importance of togetherness.

Look at these quotes from a couple of years ago:

Lambert: Important to Listen to Fans 21st Nov 2018 19:33
Town boss Paul Lambert has explained why he asked fans - including the recently-formed Blue Action group - to meet with him at Playford Road last night to discuss the atmosphere at home matches. 22

Fast forward 2 years nearly to the day and he’s slagging off the fans, the local media and creating war with TWTD.

How can he flip from that Paul Lambert to this Paul Lambert? My only explanation is that was all an act to get the fans onside. I never saw it at the time. None of us did. He genuinely seemed to care. But now the mask has slipped and fallen to floor, it makes me angry to think all of that was just an act. Lambert Out.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:34 - Dec 2 with 2496 viewsSpruceMoose

Desperation and anger caused by feelings of inadequacy, stemming from an obvious inability to do the job. That would be my guess.

He probably came here telling himself that he had the ability to do the job, but just with like Trump thinking he would win the election, reality had something to say about that.

PR Paul is a spot-on nickname. Talked a good game, delivered nothing, and now people are wised up to that fact he can't hack it. He's revealed himself to be a petty, small, incompetent and insecure man. He can't leave soon enough.

Of course, we should have know all that if we had been paying attention to how things went for him at Villa.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 23:43]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:47 - Dec 2 with 2460 viewsTrequartista

The pressure that comes with the poor results i'd say.

Has he actually slagged the fans off though?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:49 - Dec 2 with 2446 viewsHerbivore

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:47 - Dec 2 by Trequartista

The pressure that comes with the poor results i'd say.

Has he actually slagged the fans off though?

Yes.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:51 - Dec 2 with 2440 viewsTrequartista

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:49 - Dec 2 by Herbivore

Yes.

What was the quote, i have genuinely missed it.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:54 - Dec 2 with 2429 viewsCoastalblue

I think a lot of what he said and did was probably genuine and wishful thinking on his part. He really thought he could get us rolling, could see we'd had a few rough years but still had a sizeable and at times passionate fanbase at this level and that we'd all go on a journey together.

It would be great, we'd all share points and pints with him, sing his name and continue looking ever upward.

The bit he seems to have forgotten about is that it actually requires him to set up and oversee a winning football team, I think he probably thought he could, reality thought differently sadly.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:58 - Dec 2 with 2413 viewsBent_double

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:34 - Dec 2 by SpruceMoose

Desperation and anger caused by feelings of inadequacy, stemming from an obvious inability to do the job. That would be my guess.

He probably came here telling himself that he had the ability to do the job, but just with like Trump thinking he would win the election, reality had something to say about that.

PR Paul is a spot-on nickname. Talked a good game, delivered nothing, and now people are wised up to that fact he can't hack it. He's revealed himself to be a petty, small, incompetent and insecure man. He can't leave soon enough.

Of course, we should have know all that if we had been paying attention to how things went for him at Villa.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2020 23:43]

There would have been no point to us taking notice of what happened at Villa, or Wolves, or Stoke even, one person made the decision to hire him, one person only.

I'm sure if we, as fans, had been asked whether we wanted an ex-budgie as our manager - one who had a pretty un-impressive record at all his subsequent clubs, the answer would have been a resounding no.

We gave him the benefit-of-the-doubt because we didn't have any choice, did we?

But to answer the OP, maybe like Jewell and Mick, he's just been rundown by the job, possibly by the people he works with, or the people he works for, we'll probably never know. Or perhaps he's just working on his escape plan, to get out as blameless as possible.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 00:16 - Dec 3 with 2376 viewsSpruceMoose

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:58 - Dec 2 by Bent_double

There would have been no point to us taking notice of what happened at Villa, or Wolves, or Stoke even, one person made the decision to hire him, one person only.

I'm sure if we, as fans, had been asked whether we wanted an ex-budgie as our manager - one who had a pretty un-impressive record at all his subsequent clubs, the answer would have been a resounding no.

But to answer the OP, maybe like Jewell and Mick, he's just been rundown by the job, possibly by the people he works with, or the people he works for, we'll probably never know. Or perhaps he's just working on his escape plan, to get out as blameless as possible.

I didn't mean we as in the fans as like you say we have no control.

I meant we as in the football club.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 00:33 - Dec 3 with 2346 viewsRyorry

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:58 - Dec 2 by Bent_double

I might be wrong obviously, but I did get a sense of anger from him running through his post match presser on Tues re the injury situation, particularly re fitness-coach Henry upping sticks to Scotland & ME stating (?) that he wouldn't be looking to replace him.

Lots of other things going on in that presser obvs, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of his ire was actually with ME. Maybe they'd had a stand off re fitness coach/injury situation?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 01:15 - Dec 3 with 2278 viewspointofblue

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:49 - Dec 2 by Herbivore

Yes.

Has he? I thought he was blaming the media for supposedly antagonising the fans.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 06:13 - Dec 3 with 2123 viewsTrumpLambert

I was already the best. But I got better and better. The Fake Blue Media will try to make you believe otherwise, but I am the truth.

@realTrumpLambo

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 07:03 - Dec 3 with 2039 viewsBlue12345

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:51 - Dec 2 by Trequartista

I’ve not picked up on him slagging the fans either ? Just the media from what I could see.
What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 07:20 - Dec 3 with 1987 viewsgordon

Think if you see the whole Lambert era as just Lambert looking out for Lambert, then it all makes sense - he's presumably going to walk away with what must be close to a £1 million quid pay-off before tax at some point over the next few months - would he have wangled the 5-year contract without all that 'get the fans onside' stuff? Probably not.
What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 07:25 - Dec 3 with 1973 viewshaynes_toe1

Not to be pedantic but some of us did see it at the time.
What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 07:34 - Dec 3 with 1951 viewsSteve_M

I don't think it was an act, I think there was a genuine recognition of some obvious failings at the club and a desire to put them right. Lambert has been in football long enough to know that the only way to keep fans happy in the longer-term is results.

It's more the case he's been worn down by failure here, by trying to get any response out of Evans and the fact that he just isn't the young manager on a roll that he was a decade ago. The enthusiasm just isn't there any longer but it clearly was when he came here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 07:40 - Dec 3 with 1927 viewshandslikeplates

When things go wrong and the pressure builds it’s not unusual for the anxiety that this causes to result in someone blaming others for the situation they find themselves in. I’m ashamed to say that I’ve found myself in a similar situation recently. The best thing for all parties ended up with me leaving, having some time off for reflection, and then deciding whether to have a change of direction, or start again somewhere else learning from the experience. If you keep finding yourself in the same position, which I would suggested PL probably does, maybe leaving and looking at a career change might be best for him... and us.
What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 07:41 - Dec 3 with 1925 viewsGodBlue

I think he probably meant what he was saying when he came in, which is why it was so easy to buy into it. But what I also suspect was equally true then to now, is that he simply didn’t have the ability to back those words up.

If he’d delivered on any of it, I suspect we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But the simple fact of the matter (taking any emotion out of it for a second) is that he hasn’t... right?

So now, much like what happened with Marcus Evans, people are starting to wonder when he’s going to stop talking about a plan and start actually delivering that plan!

I honestly don’t think it’s that he doesn’t want to make us better - that’s why he’s getting so angry and defensive - I think it’s that he doesn’t know how to. Now that’s become clearer to the outside world (which I think he expedited by banning Phil), he’s gone into self-preservation mode, which I understand, but it’s all just more words and no action!

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 07:59 - Dec 3 with 1865 viewsPinewoodblue

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 07:41 - Dec 3 by GodBlue

I think he probably meant what he was saying when he came in, which is why it was so easy to buy into it. But what I also suspect was equally true then to now, is that he simply didn’t have the ability to back those words up.

If he’d delivered on any of it, I suspect we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But the simple fact of the matter (taking any emotion out of it for a second) is that he hasn’t... right?

So now, much like what happened with Marcus Evans, people are starting to wonder when he’s going to stop talking about a plan and start actually delivering that plan!

I honestly don’t think it’s that he doesn’t want to make us better - that’s why he’s getting so angry and defensive - I think it’s that he doesn’t know how to. Now that’s become clearer to the outside world (which I think he expedited by banning Phil), he’s gone into self-preservation mode, which I understand, but it’s all just more words and no action!

Sadly Control Alt, Delete doesn’t work in real life. It isn’t a computer game you can’t start again and pretend you didn’t F Up.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 08:08 - Dec 3 with 1845 viewshomer_123

The work off the field (which was needed and I believe genuine) will only take you so far.

Lambert is, very simply, the victim of his own inability to deliver results on field. As a result, he's lashing out.

It's that simple.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 08:17 - Dec 3 with 1821 viewsitfcjoe

I think it is as simple as he is failing, and when the finger is pointed at him he blames everyone else but himself - once you run out of people to point the finger at it inevitably ends back at the fans, the media, etc

I'll stand by the fact that the PR angle was the right way to go initially, and was important - but ultimately you need to get it right on the pitch as well or it is all for nought.

It is disgraceful how he is acting now though, he should be sacked

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 08:18 - Dec 3 with 1804 viewsitfcjoe

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 00:33 - Dec 3 by Ryorry

I might be wrong obviously, but I did get a sense of anger from him running through his post match presser on Tues re the injury situation, particularly re fitness-coach Henry upping sticks to Scotland & ME stating (?) that he wouldn't be looking to replace him.

Lots of other things going on in that presser obvs, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of his ire was actually with ME. Maybe they'd had a stand off re fitness coach/injury situation?

Lambert sacked the fitness coach after a bust up, so can't see it being that

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 08:21 - Dec 3 with 1787 viewsDarth_Koont

Over 2 years he has effectively not been able to get a tune out of the team. Despite it becoming his team and having a bigger, more valuable squad than the competitors for all but the first 6 months.

The charm offensive just becomes offensive without results and performances.

Pronouns: He/Him

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 08:34 - Dec 3 with 1753 viewsGuthrum

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 23:51 - Dec 2 by Trequartista

I'm not sure he has specifically had a go at the fans yet. However, banning the bloke who runs the club's biggest fan website and the comments about negativity could both be seen as indirect attacks.

Moreover, the current absence of fans from the ground means Lambert has not been exposed to vocal criticism from them at matches. He hasn't been forced to react to that yet.

Thirdly, the media questioning which has caused him to fly off the handle is closely aligned with the views of many fans (concern at performances/team selections/tactics, dropping down the division, fear of a repeat of last season, wishing not to become mired in League One, etc.) - it is our vicarious mouthpieces which have been assailed. Hard not to take that personally.

Or perhaps he believes that it's only a few troublemakers who are rocking the boat and the "silent majority" still love him.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 8:39]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 08:59 - Dec 3 with 1685 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I remember seeing an interview of his when he was at Villa, he was so low and miserable. I remember thinking at the time;

1. What's happened to the Lambert we saw at Norwich.
2. I wouldn't want him at my club!

Despite what he says, I think the pressure impacts on him massively, it's clear to see. And understandable really.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 09:06 - Dec 3 with 1653 viewsGuthrum

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 08:59 - Dec 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

I remember seeing an interview of his when he was at Villa, he was so low and miserable. I remember thinking at the time;

1. What's happened to the Lambert we saw at Norwich.
2. I wouldn't want him at my club!

Despite what he says, I think the pressure impacts on him massively, it's clear to see. And understandable really.

Especially so if some events are perhaps beyond his personal control (the number of injuries, player form, the budget/signings policy).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What’s happened to Lambert over the last 2 years? on 09:38 - Dec 3 with 1565 viewsSomethingBlue

He was for real with all that stuff. And did well with it, we can't erase that. But the thing is you then have to provide the team and results to match — especially when, as he said himself, there'd been so many disappointments at the club down the years. He hasn't managed to do that and it just becomes one fcuk up on top of plenty more. Then everyone starts antagonising each other and it gets as messy as it is now. The situation is untenable.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 9:39]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024