Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? 22:26 - Dec 3 with 2310 viewspointofblue

“The manager, coaching staff, captain and players are all doing everything that I have asked of them in building a foundation for the future and as long as I see progress being made I will not be swayed into making the mistakes neatly summed up by the term ‘be careful what you wish for’ which caused our demise a couple of years ago.”

In other words - If YOU hadn’t forced Mick out we would still be in the Championship. YOU forced me to get rid of him. I’M not about to get rid of a manager who has us in the play offs because YOU’RE whining about him; look what happened the last time I followed YOUR lead.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 22:27 - Dec 3 with 2155 viewsPlums

As I’ve just put on the other thread:
Marcus’ CWYWF statement is a contradictory condemnation of his own decisions since Mick. It didn’t have to be like this - HE made it so.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 22:30 - Dec 3 with 2127 viewspointofblue

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 22:27 - Dec 3 by Plums

As I’ve just put on the other thread:
Marcus’ CWYWF statement is a contradictory condemnation of his own decisions since Mick. It didn’t have to be like this - HE made it so.

The Hurst decision was generally accepted by the fans to be fair, and it would have been difficult for Evans to pull rank and control players purchases and sales that summer - Hurst would have only had to say a word and the fans would have been up in arms. Unfortunately he left too much power in the hands who didn’t know what to do with it.

The appointment of Lambert was a ridiculous decision from the off.

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 22:34 - Dec 3 with 2093 viewsPlums

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 22:30 - Dec 3 by pointofblue

The Hurst decision was generally accepted by the fans to be fair, and it would have been difficult for Evans to pull rank and control players purchases and sales that summer - Hurst would have only had to say a word and the fans would have been up in arms. Unfortunately he left too much power in the hands who didn’t know what to do with it.

The appointment of Lambert was a ridiculous decision from the off.

I agree. Lambert however was left field but we got behind him, gave him a free pass with a relegation that should never happened but by this time last year it was evident the emperor was starkers. Marcus gave him a 5 year overcoat which can only be laid at his door.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 22:35 - Dec 3 with 2086 viewsDyland

Well there is some truth in that. I don't know the ins and outs but McCarthy WAS hounded out and as far as I am aware Evans was more than happy to keep him on.

The point is where we are now. And Evans' stupid incompetent five year deal for Lambert.

Evans is so slow at making decisions on managers it is unreal. He doesn't own any of his own mistakes. No structure in place. Tin pot managers controlling everything. Jesus Christ, Lambert (and Hurst) make McCarthy seem like Klopp. FFS. The owner is a total disaster for ITFC.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

We APPLAUDED when we got relegated! on 22:39 - Dec 3 with 2045 viewsScottCandage

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 22:34 - Dec 3 by Plums

I agree. Lambert however was left field but we got behind him, gave him a free pass with a relegation that should never happened but by this time last year it was evident the emperor was starkers. Marcus gave him a 5 year overcoat which can only be laid at his door.

We made the global news for it! Did ME not get our love for the club THEN??? If not then, never.
We APPLAUDED when we got relegated! on 22:44 - Dec 3 with 2002 viewspointofblue

We APPLAUDED when we got relegated! on 22:39 - Dec 3 by ScottCandage

We made the global news for it! Did ME not get our love for the club THEN??? If not then, never.

I think he sees our love. I believe he also considers that we have delusions of grandeur with expectations which out strip our budget.

We APPLAUDED when we got relegated! on 22:51 - Dec 3 with 1972 viewsScottCandage

We APPLAUDED when we got relegated! on 22:44 - Dec 3 by pointofblue

I think he sees our love. I believe he also considers that we have delusions of grandeur with expectations which out strip our budget.

Then he doesn't get us, which kind of proves my point.

I don't pretend to speak for all, but I've been here for a dog's age. I don't expect Champions League tomorrow. I just want to be entertained a little, win or lose, with a bit of hope for the future. And we haven't had that for years.

I think that's a pretty common feeling of Ipswich fans.
We APPLAUDED when we got relegated! on 23:00 - Dec 3 with 1930 viewspointofblue

We APPLAUDED when we got relegated! on 22:51 - Dec 3 by ScottCandage

Then he doesn't get us, which kind of proves my point.

I don't pretend to speak for all, but I've been here for a dog's age. I don't expect Champions League tomorrow. I just want to be entertained a little, win or lose, with a bit of hope for the future. And we haven't had that for years.

I think that's a pretty common feeling of Ipswich fans.

I agree. But maybe on the budget we had/have Evans saw the best opportunity for promotion would be to stick with Mick and try for another re-run of 14/15. He tried to implement this approach but the pressure from the fans became too much to the point where Mick had to go. Now it’s a case of you reap what you sow; he’s not about to sack a manager on the fans wishes again.

Login to get fewer ads

It's not about reaping what WE'VE sown... on 23:08 - Dec 3 with 1905 viewsScottCandage

We APPLAUDED when we got relegated! on 23:00 - Dec 3 by pointofblue

I agree. But maybe on the budget we had/have Evans saw the best opportunity for promotion would be to stick with Mick and try for another re-run of 14/15. He tried to implement this approach but the pressure from the fans became too much to the point where Mick had to go. Now it’s a case of you reap what you sow; he’s not about to sack a manager on the fans wishes again.

It's about reaping what HE'S sewn. As many have pointed out, he fired Jim, he hired Roy, he fired Roy, he hired Jewell, he fired Jewell, he hired Mick, he fired Mick, he hired Hurst, he fired Hurst, he hired Paul. And we've gotten worse for it all.

We all have our breaking points. Some found it under Roy, some Jewell (not too many), some Mick (does anyone remember that two months of turgid football when we got about 10 shots on goal in 2 months?), some Hurst, and some PL.

But however WE felt, this is ME's club. It's ME's decision. To be an owner and blame ANYONE but himself is not leadership in any fashion.
It's not about reaping what WE'VE sown... on 23:13 - Dec 3 with 1876 viewspointofblue

It's not about reaping what WE'VE sown... on 23:08 - Dec 3 by ScottCandage

It's about reaping what HE'S sewn. As many have pointed out, he fired Jim, he hired Roy, he fired Roy, he hired Jewell, he fired Jewell, he hired Mick, he fired Mick, he hired Hurst, he fired Hurst, he hired Paul. And we've gotten worse for it all.

We all have our breaking points. Some found it under Roy, some Jewell (not too many), some Mick (does anyone remember that two months of turgid football when we got about 10 shots on goal in 2 months?), some Hurst, and some PL.

But however WE felt, this is ME's club. It's ME's decision. To be an owner and blame ANYONE but himself is not leadership in any fashion.

Maybe this is his form of leadership - when the going gets tough blame anyone but himself.

No wonder he gets on well with Lambert.

It's not about reaping what WE'VE sown... on 23:17 - Dec 3 with 1851 viewsRyorry

It's not about reaping what WE'VE sown... on 23:13 - Dec 3 by pointofblue

Maybe this is his form of leadership - when the going gets tough blame anyone but himself.

No wonder he gets on well with Lambert.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 07:46 - Dec 4 with 1600 viewshaynes_toe1

It does very much feel like he's bleating "I done what you lot said and look what happened. I'm never doing that again" as if he has absolutely no responsibility to make a decision himself.

Also apparently the way we play looks better when it's not on iFollow.
Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 08:15 - Dec 4 with 1538 viewsChrisd

Now Pandora’s Box has been opened we can see clearly why we consistently fail and are on a journey of steady decline with ME. No one takes accountability, which has been highlighted most by our owner and manager over recent days, they appear engulfed in a blame culture where it is always someone else’s fault. As the owner of the club and being in a position of responsibility you’d expect more, show some leadership and inspire others with your words and actions, but it opens my eyes more as to why we have failed to achieve anything of significance under ME. When key members of the club can’t admit their own failings and point the finger at others, you know we’re on a troublesome path.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2020 8:24]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 09:07 - Dec 4 with 1431 viewsMonkeyAlan

At the end of the day Mick was hounded out. He was doing a good job with no support from the owner. The numb skulls gave him loads of abuse, he then gave a bit back and they cried like babies.
Since he left though, the appointment of Hurst was a mistake (l was never a fan even when a large majority were clamoring for him), but the biggest mistake was going with Lambert, his track record was already rubbish(apart from the scum). So for the latter appointment the blame is squarely with Evans.
Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 09:19 - Dec 4 with 1391 viewsMrTown

As we have seen already at the club. Nobody wants to take personal responsibility for anything, all very quick to pass the blame at someone else doorstep.

Lack of leadership.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 09:23 - Dec 4 with 1378 viewsDanTheMan

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 09:07 - Dec 4 by MonkeyAlan

At the end of the day Mick was hounded out. He was doing a good job with no support from the owner. The numb skulls gave him loads of abuse, he then gave a bit back and they cried like babies.
Since he left though, the appointment of Hurst was a mistake (l was never a fan even when a large majority were clamoring for him), but the biggest mistake was going with Lambert, his track record was already rubbish(apart from the scum). So for the latter appointment the blame is squarely with Evans.

I think your last sentence is the key thing. McCarthy was a good manager but his relationship did sour with the fan base.

However, the two appointments after were entirely up to Evans. Buck stops with him.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 11:03 - Dec 4 with 1286 viewsEireannach_gorm

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 22:35 - Dec 3 by Dyland

Well there is some truth in that. I don't know the ins and outs but McCarthy WAS hounded out and as far as I am aware Evans was more than happy to keep him on.

The point is where we are now. And Evans' stupid incompetent five year deal for Lambert.

Evans is so slow at making decisions on managers it is unreal. He doesn't own any of his own mistakes. No structure in place. Tin pot managers controlling everything. Jesus Christ, Lambert (and Hurst) make McCarthy seem like Klopp. FFS. The owner is a total disaster for ITFC.

In truth, Mick papered over the underlying cracks in the management of the club. His pragmatic but mind numbing football allowed us to overachieve. Its clear he was actually a good manager when you see the performance of what followed. Evans loved him because he worked within budget, what every businessman wants.
Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 11:16 - Dec 4 with 1256 viewsjayessess

The sliding doors, "what if you hadn't hounded Mick out" theory, rather blazes straight past the fact that he got offered a better job a few months later and would likely have left anyway.

At some point Evans would have had to find a replacement for McCarthy. It's not "the numbskulls" fault he ballsed up that transition, ballsed up his next appointment, then rewarded his balls-up with an absurd contract that no other club in the entire football league would've offered.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2020 11:21]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 11:25 - Dec 4 with 1219 viewsRyorry

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 11:16 - Dec 4 by jayessess

The sliding doors, "what if you hadn't hounded Mick out" theory, rather blazes straight past the fact that he got offered a better job a few months later and would likely have left anyway.

At some point Evans would have had to find a replacement for McCarthy. It's not "the numbskulls" fault he ballsed up that transition, ballsed up his next appointment, then rewarded his balls-up with an absurd contract that no other club in the entire football league would've offered.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2020 11:21]

There comes a time at every club and with every manager when it's obvious to pretty much everyone (including the manager himself very often) that he's taken them as far as he can and it's time for a fresh brain and pair of eyes to rejuvenate things.

Mick was no different. And re 'fangate' - personally I like plain-speaking, blunt Yorkshiremen, but his unprofessional disrespecting of fans (long before the '"paedo" chants - which were outrageous, those people should have been ID'd and received lengthy bans imho) signalled the beginning of the end for him with us, there was no going back from that.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 11:30 - Dec 4 with 1204 viewsjayessess

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 11:25 - Dec 4 by Ryorry

There comes a time at every club and with every manager when it's obvious to pretty much everyone (including the manager himself very often) that he's taken them as far as he can and it's time for a fresh brain and pair of eyes to rejuvenate things.

Mick was no different. And re 'fangate' - personally I like plain-speaking, blunt Yorkshiremen, but his unprofessional disrespecting of fans (long before the '"paedo" chants - which were outrageous, those people should have been ID'd and received lengthy bans imho) signalled the beginning of the end for him with us, there was no going back from that.

The other lesson that Evans didn't learn, of course, is that if the owner wants the manager to maintain support during difficult times, he should occasionally remind them that playing nice with fans and media is part of the job, even when provoked.

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 11:32 - Dec 4 with 1192 viewsBloomBlue

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 11:03 - Dec 4 by Eireannach_gorm

In truth, Mick papered over the underlying cracks in the management of the club. His pragmatic but mind numbing football allowed us to overachieve. Its clear he was actually a good manager when you see the performance of what followed. Evans loved him because he worked within budget, what every businessman wants.

But isn't that part of his point, he listen to (some of) the fans who wanted MM out and he was wrong to listen to them. We would still be in the Championship if had stayed with MM.
Now I still think he has to take the blame for listening to those fans who turned against MM as he makes the ultimate decisions but lots of experts predicated relegation as soon as we let MM go and they were proved correct
Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 12:01 - Dec 4 with 1143 viewsDyland

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 11:32 - Dec 4 by BloomBlue

But isn't that part of his point, he listen to (some of) the fans who wanted MM out and he was wrong to listen to them. We would still be in the Championship if had stayed with MM.
Now I still think he has to take the blame for listening to those fans who turned against MM as he makes the ultimate decisions but lots of experts predicated relegation as soon as we let MM go and they were proved correct

Totally.

However Evans is comparing apples and pears. And importantly, the grumbling about Lambert was a completely different set of supporters and for very different reasons, to begin with.

I'm going to write to the club again, this time dissecting Evans' statement. To me it is really staggering and just confirms everything I have got more and more concerned about in the last year.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 12:08 - Dec 4 with 1133 viewsjayessess

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 11:32 - Dec 4 by BloomBlue

In the parallel Universe where Evans stands by McCarthy in Spring 2018, here's what happens:

Summer 2018, another big drop in season ticket sales, followed by a further drop in match day attendance.

August-November 2018: Barring some miracle, Ipswich would've continued being a mid-table side with interest continuing to wane, McCarthy and the supporters continuing to get on each others nerves.

November 2018: Ireland offer McCarthy a way out, which he takes.

McCarthy then has to appoint a new manager anyway. Not with a whole Summer to find the right guy, plan what to do next and how to reshape the squad, not on a wave of enthusiastic backing from the fans. But on the hoof, mid-season, with no credit in the bank.

He then appoints Paul Lambert.

Evans blames the fans for relegation, doesn’t he? on 12:18 - Dec 4 with 1111 viewsGlasgowBlue

In fairness, a good number of posters have been blaming “the numbskulls” for our relegation. So he’s not alone in that opinion.

That said, he’s big enough to take responsibility for his own decisions and shouldn’t really go down that road as it makes him look weak.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

It's not about reaping what WE'VE sown... on 12:43 - Dec 4 with 1060 viewsMalcolmBlue

It's not about reaping what WE'VE sown... on 23:08 - Dec 3 by ScottCandage

"does anyone remember that two months of turgid football when we got about 10 shots on goal in 2 months?"

We're reliving this right now except we're in League 1...

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024