Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hawkins 10:58 - Dec 6 with 1647 viewsSomethingBlue

No big overarching point to make here, just to say that was the first time really that Hawkins in a "plan B" capacity has massively influenced a match, and long may that continue as it's probably his best role. Really good movement and chest down from him for the winner to match the ball from Ward.

As an aside — think the quality of Nolan's finish for the other goal needs a greater mention, ball was sitting right up and so many of those end up in the stand, it was superbly taken.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 10:58]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Hawkins on 11:04 - Dec 6 with 1587 viewsWickets

Yep Nolan controlled volley and super back to goal play by Hawkins . Our winning goal kinda reminded me of our equalising goal in play off semi Mowbray down to Magilton !!
Hawkins on 11:13 - Dec 6 with 1547 viewsSteve_M

Nolan remains an enigma, so conservative with the ball for most of that match and yet he can score goals like that. Clearly confidence and fitness play a big part but wish he could believe in himself a bit more.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Hawkins on 11:13 - Dec 6 with 1536 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed.

Probably a lot down to Plymouth gathering themselves after the goal and dropping a bit too deep. But that sort of ball in, with closer support from Jackson, was definitely something we need to see more of if we’re going to make decent use of Hawkins.

Pronouns: He/Him

Hawkins on 11:29 - Dec 6 with 1471 viewsDyland

Nolan had a really good game, mixing it up with his passing to retain possession or just have a go forward. Made one especially notable marauding run half the pitch. See space, go into it! He sometimes plays in his shell. I do not know why but with regard individual player performances there's never any reason to be circumspect after someone's had a good game. He was excellent.

Dobbers too makes things happen and gives the oppo the jips innit. He's natural understudy to Bishop. Amazing really he's only getting game time with all the injuries.... and no Evans/Lambert, that is not negative, it's just reasonable questioning and criticism.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Hawkins on 11:35 - Dec 6 with 1445 viewsbobbyramsey

Hawkins on 11:29 - Dec 6 by Dyland

Nolan had a really good game, mixing it up with his passing to retain possession or just have a go forward. Made one especially notable marauding run half the pitch. See space, go into it! He sometimes plays in his shell. I do not know why but with regard individual player performances there's never any reason to be circumspect after someone's had a good game. He was excellent.

Dobbers too makes things happen and gives the oppo the jips innit. He's natural understudy to Bishop. Amazing really he's only getting game time with all the injuries.... and no Evans/Lambert, that is not negative, it's just reasonable questioning and criticism.

Lambert can misconstrue any innocent comment and turn it into a drama though.....or a I being negative?
Hawkins on 11:44 - Dec 6 with 1420 viewsMossy

Here is a question, Jackson can't hold up the ball and needs someone to support him. We have missed him and he made a big impact last season. But have we unearthed a half decent strike patnership?
That will bring us a real goal threat and the best out of Jackson?

I really feel that if we can keep him we have a very good player at this level that can get us the goals we sadly lack. Alongside Hawkins we could have a real goal threat. I would expect Hawkins to get a decent amount too.

Blog: [Blog] This Club May Not Be Rotten But We Can't Carry On Like This

Nolan on 11:53 - Dec 6 with 1384 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Hawkins on 11:13 - Dec 6 by Steve_M

Nolan remains an enigma, so conservative with the ball for most of that match and yet he can score goals like that. Clearly confidence and fitness play a big part but wish he could believe in himself a bit more.

Nolan plays like he's in a permanent slow motion replay. In fact, I'd like to see a slow motion replay of him.....it'd be like he's standing still. Also, as you write he plays so conservatively, but I am not sure that that is (only) a confidence issue, but more the way they are directed to play. Judge, Ward (or is he Hunt?), Huws, Skuse, and others to a lesser degree, all play safety first. It stifles our attacking ability, and becomes very apparent without the likes of Bishop and Edwards in the side. If it wasn't for Nolan's goals, he certainly doesn't deserve a starting place, but he certainly does know where the net is.
Hawkins on 11:59 - Dec 6 with 1357 viewsGeorge25

Yes. When he played upfront for Pompey in 2018/19 season a lot of there goals came from him winning the ball and curties playing off him. Hopefully Jackson and Norwood can do the same
Login to get fewer ads

Nolan on 12:00 - Dec 6 with 1348 viewslazyblue

Nolan on 11:53 - Dec 6 by FrankfurtBlue

Nolan plays like he's in a permanent slow motion replay. In fact, I'd like to see a slow motion replay of him.....it'd be like he's standing still. Also, as you write he plays so conservatively, but I am not sure that that is (only) a confidence issue, but more the way they are directed to play. Judge, Ward (or is he Hunt?), Huws, Skuse, and others to a lesser degree, all play safety first. It stifles our attacking ability, and becomes very apparent without the likes of Bishop and Edwards in the side. If it wasn't for Nolan's goals, he certainly doesn't deserve a starting place, but he certainly does know where the net is.

I’m actually a fan of Nolan as he has a lot of quality on the ball but like you I think he is told to play a certain way which keeps the reigns ion him and keeps control of the ball. I feel if he was allowed to actually play with confidence and pressed to push a forward pass more than we would see him a real influence on games.
Hawkins on 12:04 - Dec 6 with 1332 viewsunstableblue

Good post.

Nolan’s goal was Championship quality, very hard to execute.

I think Ward stepping up was as big an influence as Hawkins coming on. He had a poor first half and has been ineffective of late. We need Chambo and Ward grabbing games and driving the team and the yoof forward for us to successful.

I think Hawkins should start in the 4-3-3 with Jackson and Lankester wide; dobra the advanced midfielder while Bishop is out, and the Dozzell and judge deeper, as we wait for Downes

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Hawkins on 12:08 - Dec 6 with 1307 viewsmrshallisfit

Hawkins on 11:35 - Dec 6 by bobbyramsey

Lambert can misconstrue any innocent comment and turn it into a drama though.....or a I being negative?

And some people will be negative towards whatever the situation and result.
Hawkins on 13:01 - Dec 6 with 1190 viewsSomethingBlue

Hawkins on 11:13 - Dec 6 by Steve_M

Nolan has quietly got five goals in all competitions this season — three in 10 in the league — and that's about where we need him to be. Hard to know exactly where he fits in best if everyone if ever fit but he does seem to be getting into decent areas more regularly.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Hawkins on 13:15 - Dec 6 with 1153 viewsBlueBadger

Hawkins on 12:08 - Dec 6 by mrshallisfit

And some people will be negative towards whatever the situation and result.

It's almost as if he's spent two years failing badly and making excuses for it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Hawkins on 19:02 - Dec 6 with 941 viewsJoHnNnY

Agreed - Hawkins need to play in a 2 up to be his most affective. He said himself he makes goals for others rather than score himself. I’d like to see him and a fully fit Norwood up top personally.

Can we just play some attractive football please?
Poll: Who would like to see a return of the previous badge design?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024