Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know its controversial 07:53 - Dec 7 with 3501 viewsBarneycurley

But can someone smarter than me clarify what the BLM manifesto is? Ive been trying to google a succinct answer and can't.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

I know its controversial on 07:55 - Dec 7 with 2786 viewsBluefish

What is it that you actually want to know here?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I know its controversial on 08:05 - Dec 7 with 2754 viewsBarneycurley

I know its controversial on 07:55 - Dec 7 by Bluefish

What is it that you actually want to know here?

I want to understand what their manifesto is?

If as quoted they are a political party then they surely have a manifesto? Or some sort of mission statement. There seems a lot of heresy around so I want to know exactly. That's it simply.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

I know its controversial on 08:08 - Dec 7 with 2741 viewsBlueRaider

I know its controversial on 08:05 - Dec 7 by Barneycurley

If as quoted they are a political party then they surely have a manifesto? Or some sort of mission statement. There seems a lot of heresy around so I want to know exactly. That's it simply.

I get where you're coming from, most protest movements have a clear goal and set out what they want.

I fully support non-discrimination and equality, I must admit I'm confused about what exactly they want to change in this country

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

I know its controversial on 08:09 - Dec 7 with 2745 viewshomer_123

In short:

A social (and sometimes political) movement that advocates protests (non-violent it should be said) against racially motivated violence and attacks on the black community.

The following is taken from the Black Lives Matter website (quite easy to google):

"Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, Inc. is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives."

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I know its controversial on 08:13 - Dec 7 with 2713 viewsBluefish

That is also massive confusion around BLM as an organisation and the symbolic anti racism gestures that often carry their name. It is odd when people insist on confusing the 2 at all times

I know its controversial on 08:17 - Dec 7 with 2693 viewsDubtractor

I know its controversial on 08:13 - Dec 7 by Bluefish

That is also massive confusion around BLM as an organisation and the symbolic anti racism gestures that often carry their name. It is odd when people insist on confusing the 2 at all times

100% this.

I'm not sure the football gestures are really intended to be political, just a general point on the message that black lives should matter more than they do.

Doesn't take too much working out to understand the people who are determined to see it as a political point.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I know its controversial on 08:31 - Dec 7 with 2651 viewsJimmyJazz

I know its controversial on 08:09 - Dec 7 by homer_123

In short:

A social (and sometimes political) movement that advocates protests (non-violent it should be said) against racially motivated violence and attacks on the black community.

The following is taken from the Black Lives Matter website (quite easy to google):

"Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, Inc. is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives."

Only US, UK and Canada. I would have thought it would be a little more widespread. I guess it shows the UK is more progressive in wanting to effect change for the better? Obviously not all elements, but in general

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

I know its controversial on 08:33 - Dec 7 with 2645 viewsHerbivore

I know its controversial on 08:08 - Dec 7 by BlueRaider

I get where you're coming from, most protest movements have a clear goal and set out what they want.

I fully support non-discrimination and equality, I must admit I'm confused about what exactly they want to change in this country

I think they'd like it if individuals, organisations, and power structures in the UK stopped perpetuating racism.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

I know its controversial on 10:46 - Dec 7 with 2508 viewsmikeybloo88

I know its controversial on 08:13 - Dec 7 by Bluefish

Do you not think though that perhaps the fact that footballers using the same gestures (kneeling, black power salutes) which are so closely associated with radical political organisations,even though the players may not share those political views, is what gets the hackles up for some fans? Do you think there would have been booing if the players had walked out together and unfurled a banner stating "equality for all"?
I know its controversial on 10:49 - Dec 7 with 2490 viewsBluefish

I know its controversial on 10:46 - Dec 7 by mikeybloo88

Do you not think though that perhaps the fact that footballers using the same gestures (kneeling, black power salutes) which are so closely associated with radical political organisations,even though the players may not share those political views, is what gets the hackles up for some fans? Do you think there would have been booing if the players had walked out together and unfurled a banner stating "equality for all"?

I think those fans are sad ****s with small cocks

I know its controversial on 10:51 - Dec 7 with 2481 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I know its controversial on 08:33 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

I think they'd like it if individuals, organisations, and power structures in the UK stopped perpetuating racism.

I don't know what this chap and the OP are confused about. The BLM 'manifesto' is presumably 'let's not be racist'.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I know its controversial on 10:51 - Dec 7 with 2481 viewsSwansea_Blue

Taking the knee, which seems to wind so may up, is actually a sporting act that originated from American Football and then morphed into into a protest gesture within that sport. So is highly appropriate for another sport to use when they are trying to communicate the same message to fans that discrimination is not ok.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I know its controversial on 10:54 - Dec 7 with 2451 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Even if these things are associated with political organisations, what does it matter? Footballers aren't making a political point by doing it. They're saying they don't agree with racism. That's it.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I know its controversial on 11:05 - Dec 7 with 2406 viewsSwansea_Blue

I know its controversial on 10:51 - Dec 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

I don't know what this chap and the OP are confused about. The BLM 'manifesto' is presumably 'let's not be racist'.

A bit more to it than that, but essentially yeah https://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

It's interesting that people are trying to undermine the message with ad hominem attacks on the founders and some of the activists. Maybe there are some wrong uns associated with BLM. Even if there are, it's easy enough to support their message without having to declare fealty to the organisation. Why wouldn't anyone support an anti-discrimination message?

I know its controversial on 11:08 - Dec 7 with 2391 viewsSwansea_Blue

I know its controversial on 10:54 - Dec 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

Even if these things are associated with political organisations, what does it matter? Footballers aren't making a political point by doing it. They're saying they don't agree with racism. That's it.

Quite. And in the case of this Millwall issue, the club even put out a statement saying that they were taking the knee before games as a general stand against discrimination and it wasn't linked to BLM directly. And yet still the fans booed the players.

I know its controversial on 11:09 - Dec 7 with 2382 viewsHerbivore

It tends to only be racists that want to conflate the taking of the knee and the clench fists with radical political views as it gives them an excuse to not have to support anti-racism. As others have pointed out, neither the taking of the knee nor the clenched fist have their roots in radical politics. The clenched fist is a symbol of solidarity, the taking the knee was not something that originated in the BLM organisation either. Most recently it was a gesture from Colin Kaepernick in protests at police killings of Black people in the US.

Equality for all is rather an odd message and echoes the whole all lives matter nonsense. I don't need someone asking for equality for me, I am a white male who experiences plenty of privileges as a result. I'd rather people focus their efforts on those that need their rights to be actively promoted. I have no issue with Black lives matter as a message and it is that which is being promoted by footballers in taking the knee. People who want to conflate the message with the organisation need to own the fact that deep down they don't really support the message either.

I know its controversial on 11:14 - Dec 7 with 2355 viewsHerbivore

I know its controversial on 11:05 - Dec 7 by Swansea_Blue

A bit more to it than that, but essentially yeah https://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

It's interesting that people are trying to undermine the message with ad hominem attacks on the founders and some of the activists. Maybe there are some wrong uns associated with BLM. Even if there are, it's easy enough to support their message without having to declare fealty to the organisation. Why wouldn't anyone support an anti-discrimination message?

I'm not sure that founders or members being anti-capitalist makes them "wrong uns". If you are living with a system that has shown itself to be entirely incapable of tackling inequality and discrimination of various kinds and that system is rigged to preserve the wealth and power of individuals at the top, you might start to think that such a system is antithetical to your cause of eradicating discrimination and promoting equality.

I know its controversial on 11:14 - Dec 7 with 2355 viewsjeera

I know its controversial on 11:05 - Dec 7 by Swansea_Blue

Some people are afraid of equality, for some reason it bothers them.

Inadequate men were once afraid of women being 'allowed' the vote.

If people are kept in their place, then they cannot hurt us, seems to have been the message throughout time. A bit like our government isn't it. "Keep them down where belong."

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I know its controversial on 11:20 - Dec 7 with 2332 viewsSwansea_Blue

I know its controversial on 11:14 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

I'm not sure that founders or members being anti-capitalist makes them "wrong uns". If you are living with a system that has shown itself to be entirely incapable of tackling inequality and discrimination of various kinds and that system is rigged to preserve the wealth and power of individuals at the top, you might start to think that such a system is antithetical to your cause of eradicating discrimination and promoting equality.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about the anti-capitalist stance, more if there had been any violence around protests.

I know its controversial on 11:33 - Dec 7 with 2318 viewsGuthrum

There isn't one, as such. They aren't a political party, but a broad social reform movement. Altho there is a more organised group who use the name.

BLM is, in reality, the latest phase of the ongoing struggle for civil rights and social/political/judicial/economic equality for black people in the USA and (broadened somewhat to include other ethnic minorities) worldwide.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I know its controversial on 11:39 - Dec 7 with 2290 viewsHerbivore

I know its controversial on 11:20 - Dec 7 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about the anti-capitalist stance, more if there had been any violence around protests.

Oddly enough, people seem more worked up by the idea that they are "Marxists" than they do by some of the protests turning violent. It's rather terrifying that these days being a critic of capitalism makes you an extremist.

I know its controversial on 11:43 - Dec 7 with 2287 viewsSwansea_Blue

I know its controversial on 11:39 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

Oddly enough, people seem more worked up by the idea that they are "Marxists" than they do by some of the protests turning violent. It's rather terrifying that these days being a critic of capitalism makes you an extremist.

Oh right. More of that Cultural Marxist sh*t is it? Which in itself is a anti-semitic conspiracy theory isn't it?

The world's gone nuts.

I know its controversial on 11:47 - Dec 7 with 2264 viewsNthQldITFC

Do you mean 'heresy' or 'hearsay', cos it kind of changes the context of your post. If it's heresy, what is the accepted belief system which the heresy is in opposition to?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I know its controversial on 11:51 - Dec 7 with 2249 viewseireblue

Finding their website and reading it should be easy enough.

If there are parts you are struggling to understand, why don’t you simply cite the parts that you don’t understand from their web site, and then people will be able to help.
I know its controversial on 12:06 - Dec 7 with 2223 viewsGuthrum

I know its controversial on 08:31 - Dec 7 by JimmyJazz

Only US, UK and Canada. I would have thought it would be a little more widespread. I guess it shows the UK is more progressive in wanting to effect change for the better? Obviously not all elements, but in general

It's more that BLMGN is a relatively organised sub-group/leadership within the wider movement and those places happen to be where it's based.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024