Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative 16:10 - Dec 10 with 871 viewsbluelagos

with regards to getting a Brexit deal, and today the FTSE is up just shy of 1%.

What on earth is the thinking in the City? Surely no deal would be bad for UK business?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:12 - Dec 10 with 845 viewsfooters

The FTSE's top-weighted constituents don't do most of their business in the UK or with the EU. They're mainly mining firms and drilling firms, like Shell A and Shell B. So Brexit itself needn't have that much bearing on the FTSE overall, especially as iron ore and other metal prices have been shooting up recently.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:13 - Dec 10 with 841 viewsgiant_stow

I'll take a guess: Don't most companies in the ftse get their money from abroad? So a crap pound helps them.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:13 - Dec 10 with 837 viewswkj

No Deal Brexit is good, that is why

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:15 - Dec 10 with 813 viewsSpruceMoose

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:13 - Dec 10 by wkj

No Deal Brexit is good, that is why

If the pound could tank before Christmas I'd appreciate it, as it would mean my nephews and nieces would get £20.21 each rather than £20.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:15 - Dec 10 with 808 viewsPinewoodblue

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:12 - Dec 10 by footers

The FTSE's top-weighted constituents don't do most of their business in the UK or with the EU. They're mainly mining firms and drilling firms, like Shell A and Shell B. So Brexit itself needn't have that much bearing on the FTSE overall, especially as iron ore and other metal prices have been shooting up recently.

Companies that trade in $s so rise in value if the £ falls as a lower £ is good for profit.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:16 - Dec 10 with 801 viewswkj

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:15 - Dec 10 by SpruceMoose

If the pound could tank before Christmas I'd appreciate it, as it would mean my nephews and nieces would get £20.21 each rather than £20.

Means I get to charge more for my renters

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:18 - Dec 10 with 788 viewsclive_baker

Large proportion of FTSE100 firms report in EUR, so to that degree it’s a derivative of FX. Hence FTSE rallying post Brexit referendum as £ devalued against EUR.

FTSE 250 and GBP falls today are probably more reflective of a no deal. We’re not far off 1:1 £ to EUR.

Summer hols and imports are going to be expensive unless that recovers ladies and gents. FWIW I think it will. I’ve just opened a long position on GBP vs EUR
[Post edited 10 Dec 2020 16:22]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:20 - Dec 10 with 771 viewsfooters

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:18 - Dec 10 by clive_baker

Large proportion of FTSE100 firms report in EUR, so to that degree it’s a derivative of FX. Hence FTSE rallying post Brexit referendum as £ devalued against EUR.

FTSE 250 and GBP falls today are probably more reflective of a no deal. We’re not far off 1:1 £ to EUR.

Summer hols and imports are going to be expensive unless that recovers ladies and gents. FWIW I think it will. I’ve just opened a long position on GBP vs EUR
[Post edited 10 Dec 2020 16:22]

Which was also helped along nicely by Lagarde this afternoon in relation to EUR.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:23 - Dec 10 with 747 viewsSpruceMoose

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:16 - Dec 10 by wkj

Means I get to charge more for my renters

Great time to be in the carpet cleaning business.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:36 - Dec 10 with 714 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Counter-intuitive isn't it. But FTSE 100 firms earn much of their Income in USD, boosting their earnings on the back of a weak Sterling. See also index movement after the referendum result
So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 20:10 - Dec 10 with 549 viewsBlueBadger

So all the messages for the past 24 hours have been negative on 16:15 - Dec 10 by Pinewoodblue

Companies that trade in $s so rise in value if the £ falls as a lower £ is good for profit.

I hesitate to use the word 'parasites' but...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024