Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eastville 1978 22:48 - Dec 11 with 4013 viewsHarlestonblue

Is there an Ipswich Town FC history buff who could resolve an argument and enlighten us with the attendance at Eastville Stadium for the famous 5th round FA Cup tie against Bristol Rovers on the snow in our glorious cup winning run in 1978?
I do recall the result was 2-2 and you can see the goals on youtube. We won the replay 3-0 at Portman Road.
Eastville 1978 on 22:50 - Dec 11 with 3325 viewsDanny_G

http://www.prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=matchReport&level=1&day=18&am
Eastville 1978 on 22:53 - Dec 11 with 3292 viewsHarlestonblue

Eastville 1978 on 22:50 - Dec 11 by Danny_G

A quick response! Thank you Danny.
Eastville 1978 on 23:14 - Dec 11 with 3234 viewspistonbroke

And if I remember rightly , was a bit tasty in town before the game
Eastville 1978 on 23:39 - Dec 11 with 3188 viewsSeablu

Eastville 1978 on 23:14 - Dec 11 by pistonbroke

One of my top x5 most memorable games.
Define tasty. No trouble in the city centre from my recollection.
The trek up to Muller Rd in the snow was a challenge.
I ended up at the wrong end nearer the rugby ground due to some duff directions from a Bristol mate.
Eastville 1978 on 23:40 - Dec 11 with 3179 viewspistonbroke

Eastville 1978 on 23:39 - Dec 11 by Seablu

One of my top x5 most memorable games.
Define tasty. No trouble in the city centre from my recollection.
The trek up to Muller Rd in the snow was a challenge.
I ended up at the wrong end nearer the rugby ground due to some duff directions from a Bristol mate.

I meant the replay
Eastville 1978 on 23:49 - Dec 11 with 3173 viewsfactual_blue

It should probably be 23,454, as thirteen of us from the minibus from Uncle Facters' pub got in with only twelve tickets.

And Uncle Facters won the draw in a pub in Baldock on the way home.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Eastville 1978 on 23:59 - Dec 11 with 3160 viewsSuffolktractor

Eastville 1978 on 23:49 - Dec 11 by factual_blue

It should probably be 23,454, as thirteen of us from the minibus from Uncle Facters' pub got in with only twelve tickets.

And Uncle Facters won the draw in a pub in Baldock on the way home.

And I won the pub card on the train back, on which the lights had fused and was f**king cold!!
Eastville 1978 on 00:30 - Dec 12 with 3125 viewscressi

Eastville 1978 on 23:59 - Dec 11 by Suffolktractor

And I won the pub card on the train back, on which the lights had fused and was f**king cold!!

Went on long Melford bus was my 17th birthday didn't know game was on till we got to Watford Good days though
Login to get fewer ads

Eastville 1978 on 10:39 - Dec 12 with 2720 viewsHarlestonblue

Eastville 1978 on 00:30 - Dec 12 by cressi

Went on long Melford bus was my 17th birthday didn't know game was on till we got to Watford Good days though

I was in Bristol last year and my train stopped at Stapleton Road Station. I looked across at the site of Eastville and it's now a huge IKEA.
Eastville was one of my favourites, ovoid shape with a greyhound track, next to the gasworks and flowerbeds behind the goals. A real dump in a seedy inner city area with the M32 flyover in the south east corner. Partisan fans too. In other words a real football ground with loads of character, unlike the modern soulless bowls.
The only club I have seen Ipswich play at in 3 different grounds: Eastville, Twerton Park (Bath City) and the Memorial Ground.
Eastville 1978 on 11:10 - Dec 12 with 2689 viewsHarlestonblue

29,090 at Portman Road for the replay
Eastville 1978 on 11:56 - Dec 12 with 2623 viewsbilllm

Eastville 1978 on 23:14 - Dec 11 by pistonbroke

Yes n touch n go whether the game would be on, bloody freezing
Eastville 1978 on 13:29 - Dec 12 with 2515 viewsgainsboroughblue

It may be me exaggerating but we seem to have played at Bristol Rovers in the snow a disproportionate amount of times, not to mention grabbing last gasp equalisers/winners. Turner, Brennan, Stockwell.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2020 13:29]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Eastville 1978 on 13:43 - Dec 12 with 2483 viewsMeadowlark

Four of us from North Suffolk in a Mini Cooper. We got a puncture on the North Circular but had "Denovo" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-flat_tire tyres so carried on.
There and back without changing the wheel.
Can't remember much about the match, but if was very cold!
Eastville 1978 on 13:55 - Dec 12 with 2456 viewsOldsmoker

Eastville 1978 on 10:39 - Dec 12 by Harlestonblue

I was in Bristol last year and my train stopped at Stapleton Road Station. I looked across at the site of Eastville and it's now a huge IKEA.
Eastville was one of my favourites, ovoid shape with a greyhound track, next to the gasworks and flowerbeds behind the goals. A real dump in a seedy inner city area with the M32 flyover in the south east corner. Partisan fans too. In other words a real football ground with loads of character, unlike the modern soulless bowls.
The only club I have seen Ipswich play at in 3 different grounds: Eastville, Twerton Park (Bath City) and the Memorial Ground.

All gone now.
There's no feature left to remind anyone of the Eastville stadium.
Even the gasholder that gave Rovers the nickname "The Gas" has been torn down.
The proposed move to a 4th home ground has fallen through so your record of 3 may stand for some years.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Eastville 1978 on 08:29 - Dec 19 with 2202 viewsHarlestonblue

Eastville 1978 on 13:55 - Dec 12 by Oldsmoker

All gone now.
The proposed move to a 4th home ground has fallen through so your record of 3 may stand for some years.

Interesting. Looking at a map the Memorial Stadium isn't that far from Eastville as the crow flies, so they are back on their patch in Bristol, a bit further south down the Muller Road. I guess Eastville will always be their spiritual home though.
I just can't imagine ITFC having to share a ground like Bristol Rovers did (at Ashton Gate, briefly after the fire, or Twerton Park) or playing at another stadium in Ipswich. Who knows, one day we might be playing at Foxhall Stadium.
Eastville 1978 on 08:57 - Dec 19 with 2166 viewsRoyal_Blue

Remember it well. Man City had an early kick off v Bristol City and a group of them pulled over on the flyover overlooking ground. Hurling abuse at Town fans until moved on by Police.
Eastville 1978 on 10:01 - Dec 19 with 2094 viewsRadlett_blue

Eastville 1978 on 10:39 - Dec 12 by Harlestonblue

I have never been to Eastville, but on TV it appeared dominated by the dog track & totaliser clocks. I generally prefer old fashioned grounds with character, but grounds with greyhound or running tracks around the pitch are usually poor for both viewing & atmosphere. Eastville also loses marks for being 2 1/2 miles from the railway station.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Eastville 1978 on 10:05 - Dec 19 with 2086 viewsDanny_G

Eastville 1978 on 13:55 - Dec 12 by Oldsmoker

All gone now.

A few of us will be able to equal that with Coventry; I’ve seen Town play them at Highfield Road, Ricoh and St Andrew’s.
Eastville 1978 on 10:08 - Dec 19 with 2080 viewsHarlestonblue

Eastville 1978 on 10:01 - Dec 19 by Radlett_blue

I have never been to Eastville, but on TV it appeared dominated by the dog track & totaliser clocks. I generally prefer old fashioned grounds with character, but grounds with greyhound or running tracks around the pitch are usually poor for both viewing & atmosphere. Eastville also loses marks for being 2 1/2 miles from the railway station.

You are right about the view at such grounds. the old Stamford Bridge was like that too.
I think you are referring to Bristol Temple Meads, the main station. In fact Stapleton Road Station in Bristol, on the Severn Beach and other branch lines, was very close to Eastville. It's also accessible on the line from Bristol Parkway to Temple Meads. You got an excellent view of the stadium from the railway arches/viaduct. As I stated earlier, the view is now of IKEA!
Eastville 1978 on 10:10 - Dec 19 with 2076 viewsHarlestonblue

Eastville 1978 on 10:05 - Dec 19 by Danny_G

A few of us will be able to equal that with Coventry; I’ve seen Town play them at Highfield Road, Ricoh and St Andrew’s.

Very true, I hadn't considered them. are they at St.Andrews this year?
Eastville 1978 on 12:25 - Dec 20 with 1868 viewsHarlestonblue

Eastville 1978 on 10:10 - Dec 19 by Harlestonblue

Very true, I hadn't considered them. are they at St.Andrews this year?

Apparently it's now called ST.ANDREWS TRILLION TROPHY STADIUM
Eastville 1978 on 12:44 - Dec 20 with 1833 viewsgainsboroughblue

I've seen us play Charlton at the Valley, Selhurst Park and Upton Park.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Eastville 1978 on 12:56 - Dec 20 with 1808 viewsPJH

Ah but who else has seen us play Notts Forest at three grounds-City Ground, Meadow Lane and Wembley.

We have also played Arsenal at three but I did not go to the League Cup game.
Eastville 1978 on 13:22 - Dec 20 with 1768 viewsxrayspecs

Have seen Town play Charlton at the Valley, Selhurst Park and Upton Park
Have seen Town play Brighton at the Goldstone Ground, Withdean and the Amex stadium

A bit more tenuous, I have seen Wimbledon play at Plough Lane, Selhurst Park, the National Hockey Stadium and then depending on your view of who Wimbeldon are now, both Kingsmeadow and the MK Dons stadium. Looking forward to going back to Plough Lane once crowds return.
Eastville 1978 on 14:22 - Dec 20 with 1712 viewsChurchman

Eastville 1978 on 11:10 - Dec 12 by Harlestonblue

29,090 at Portman Road for the replay

I went to the replay but not the Eastville game. I did go to Eastville for a cup game in the mid 80s. It was freezing cold and the ground had burned down. The toilet portacabin had a lake swilling up and down inside it as people rocked it back and forth. Hilarious. I seem to remember we won 2-1 with a goal ballooning off somebody’s shins from miles out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024