Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert 19:32 - Dec 12 with 3713 viewsSouperJim

Not sure how it came across on ifollow, so thought I'd stick a post up. It was a very odd experience today. First off, it felt pretty emotional to be back at Portman Road after a very difficult 9 months.

Given there was 2k max in the stadium spread across two stands, with vocal fans diluted amongst happy clappers, there was plenty of applause, singing and general positivity from the crowd. Until we kicked off that is, and it rapidly became apparent Portsmouth were far far better than us.

Lots of patience from the crowd overall, mild booing at half time, but then frustration second half giving way to plenty of shouts and general stick aimed in Lambert's direction. Lots of angry voices at full time up in the (I assume) usually placid co-op stand, plenty of shouts of Lambert out. Sounded like pelters from the Alf Ramsey stand as Lambert went down the tunnel.

If today is any kind of yardstick, I think a full north stand would be utterly toxic towards Lambert by now.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:02 - Dec 12 with 3471 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It sounded reasonably supportive on iFollow with a few boos at half time. There were similar levels of booing, possibly slightly clearer when he took Jackson off. I was surprised not to clearly hear any "Lambert out" shouts from here on in. That substitution smacked of a determination to play a system despite the players available and whether it is effective.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:09 - Dec 12 with 3381 viewsDennyx4

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:02 - Dec 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

It sounded reasonably supportive on iFollow with a few boos at half time. There were similar levels of booing, possibly slightly clearer when he took Jackson off. I was surprised not to clearly hear any "Lambert out" shouts from here on in. That substitution smacked of a determination to play a system despite the players available and whether it is effective.

Thanks for sharing.

It might not just be Lambert and Evans that are deluded, about the lack of support for Lambert, as Brenner and Mick Mills, both said they were surprised by the reaction from the fans today.
The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:15 - Dec 12 with 3294 viewsthebooks

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:09 - Dec 12 by Dennyx4

Thanks for sharing.

It might not just be Lambert and Evans that are deluded, about the lack of support for Lambert, as Brenner and Mick Mills, both said they were surprised by the reaction from the fans today.

I didn’t read those comments as surprise at some anti-Lambert sentiment, more at anyone booing after 9 months away from PR.

I can see what they meant. Seeing some photos taken from near my normal seat made me well up a bit.

Me? I would have been singing “Get out of my club” from near the off.
The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:15 - Dec 12 with 3301 viewsSouperJim

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:02 - Dec 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

The subs were bizarre and he got a lot of stick for taking Jackson off from the whole crowd pretty much.

Why you would put Drinan on for Jackson when you were planning to add Hawkins five minutes later is beyond me. Hawkins and Jackson is the obvious partnership.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:21 - Dec 12 with 3223 viewsDennyx4

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:15 - Dec 12 by thebooks

I didn’t read those comments as surprise at some anti-Lambert sentiment, more at anyone booing after 9 months away from PR.

I can see what they meant. Seeing some photos taken from near my normal seat made me well up a bit.

Me? I would have been singing “Get out of my club” from near the off.

Either way, not sure how they could be surprised with the reaction.

Not one question on it in the post match interview either.
The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:24 - Dec 12 with 3169 viewsthebooks

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:21 - Dec 12 by Dennyx4

I think the booing was mentioned, and PL brushed it off with a pretty standard “they pay a lot of money” blah blah blah.

But yeah, I thought Brennar was a bit tame today. He could have done his normal “what was the thinking with bringing Jackson off?”

Lambert wouldn’t last one more game if there was a full north stand in.
The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:28 - Dec 12 with 3128 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:15 - Dec 12 by SouperJim

The subs were bizarre and he got a lot of stick for taking Jackson off from the whole crowd pretty much.

Why you would put Drinan on for Jackson when you were planning to add Hawkins five minutes later is beyond me. Hawkins and Jackson is the obvious partnership.

Can only assume he had no intention to bring Hawkins on but after 5 minutes realised it wasn't going to work and decided had to then go to 2 up top and couldn't bring Jackson back on.

Utterly, utterly clueless, or so stubborn he can't accept changing his mind about 2 up front aside from trying to make it look even more inept than 1 up.

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:31 - Dec 12 with 3077 viewsDennyx4

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:28 - Dec 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Can only assume he had no intention to bring Hawkins on but after 5 minutes realised it wasn't going to work and decided had to then go to 2 up top and couldn't bring Jackson back on.

Utterly, utterly clueless, or so stubborn he can't accept changing his mind about 2 up front aside from trying to make it look even more inept than 1 up.

It was utterly bizarre - need a couple of goals and take off your only real goal threat.

Still not convinced Jackson can play as a lone striker, and was crying out for Hawkins to come on to partner him at Half Time.
Login to get fewer ads

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:35 - Dec 12 with 3021 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:31 - Dec 12 by Dennyx4

It was utterly bizarre - need a couple of goals and take off your only real goal threat.

Still not convinced Jackson can play as a lone striker, and was crying out for Hawkins to come on to partner him at Half Time.

I put in another thread, you have 3 fit strikers. Drinan, Hawkins and Jackson. You decide to play 1 up front, which of those 3 would you not pick as your 1? You decide to change to go to 2 up front. Which 2 of those 3 would you not pair together?

It is almost like he is deliberately sabotaging the team.

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:41 - Dec 12 with 2949 viewsmonty_radio

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:21 - Dec 12 by Dennyx4

I noted that too. I think the reason that Brenner and Mick were surprised was that they had bought into today's script of : a football-starved crowd were back in the hallowed stadium. What they hadn't computed was that many of these same individuals had, in the enthusiasm of the return, temporarily laid aside their scepticism that had been built up by weeks of their watching i-Follow. But when these same old ineffectual patterns of play began to unfold before their eyes, then their recent memories overcame any expectation that had initially accompanied them to P.R.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:43 - Dec 12 with 2923 viewsstrikalite

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:35 - Dec 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

I put in another thread, you have 3 fit strikers. Drinan, Hawkins and Jackson. You decide to play 1 up front, which of those 3 would you not pick as your 1? You decide to change to go to 2 up front. Which 2 of those 3 would you not pair together?

Chasing the game it's incredible that he hasn't got a plan B, change it, go more direct, second balls etc...utterly clueless.

You're two down at home ffs
The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:59 - Dec 12 with 2751 viewsBeckets

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:43 - Dec 12 by strikalite

Chasing the game it's incredible that he hasn't got a plan B, change it, go more direct, second balls etc...utterly clueless.

You're two down at home ffs

I think everyone can see we won’t get promoted with Lambert in charge. The issue is whether Evans thinks this is of any importance. I suspect not as I think he’s now looking at making sure the club doesn’t cost him any more money after this season. Anything he can recover by selling Downes and Dozzell for instance would go in his back pocket.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2020 21:12]
The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 21:27 - Dec 12 with 2507 viewsstonojnr

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:41 - Dec 12 by monty_radio

I noted that too. I think the reason that Brenner and Mick were surprised was that they had bought into today's script of : a football-starved crowd were back in the hallowed stadium. What they hadn't computed was that many of these same individuals had, in the enthusiasm of the return, temporarily laid aside their scepticism that had been built up by weeks of their watching i-Follow. But when these same old ineffectual patterns of play began to unfold before their eyes, then their recent memories overcame any expectation that had initially accompanied them to P.R.

well Id have thought it was the fact I didnt think singing or even exhaling loudly was allowed on the menu, given all the covid rules to follow for just attending, Id expected some kind of constant Lords murmur just to accompany the game today rather than vocal support or not as the case maybe.

we saw last week fans at some grounds were more than prepared to boo loudly if given the opportunity, so the idea of football starved crowds would just politely mind their ps and qs is frankly ridiculous & naive IMO
The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 21:33 - Dec 12 with 2429 viewsChrisd

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:15 - Dec 12 by SouperJim

Does he do it just to wind us up? Some of his decisions I find absolutely baffling at times. Having Hawkins partnered with Jackson made total sense, but instead lets go for two lads that play with their backs to goal.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 21:33 - Dec 12 with 2428 viewsmonty_radio

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 21:27 - Dec 12 by stonojnr

well Id have thought it was the fact I didnt think singing or even exhaling loudly was allowed on the menu, given all the covid rules to follow for just attending, Id expected some kind of constant Lords murmur just to accompany the game today rather than vocal support or not as the case maybe.

we saw last week fans at some grounds were more than prepared to boo loudly if given the opportunity, so the idea of football starved crowds would just politely mind their ps and qs is frankly ridiculous & naive IMO

Agreed - but I think that Brenner simply hadn't reckoned with the fact that a poor performance would soon reconnect those fans present with the negativity gained from week's of watching i-Follow.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 21:37 - Dec 12 with 2391 viewslazyblue

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:31 - Dec 12 by Dennyx4

Jackson as lone striker with out of touch Lankester and Judgevis complete waste of time.
The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 21:38 - Dec 12 with 2372 viewsChrisd

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:59 - Dec 12 by Beckets

I think everyone can see we won’t get promoted with Lambert in charge. The issue is whether Evans thinks this is of any importance. I suspect not as I think he’s now looking at making sure the club doesn’t cost him any more money after this season. Anything he can recover by selling Downes and Dozzell for instance would go in his back pocket.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2020 21:12]

If you could genuinely see we were making progress on the pitch then I would be a little more tolerant of our current situation, but we simply aren't. If anything we're going backwards and now not even creating many goal scoring opportunities against our opponents whether they are a club top of the league, mid table or in a relegation scrap. What's even more concerning is that in most cases, although we are having plenty of possession (mainly in our own half), we're getting outplayed by sides too.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2020 21:41]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 09:06 - Dec 13 with 1697 viewsHarlestonblue

Imagine what it would have been like with 15,000 people in the stadium. Absolutely toxic.
The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 10:59 - Dec 13 with 1490 viewsMalcolmBlue

The atmosphere today and feeling towards Lambert on 20:35 - Dec 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yeah it's a weird one because out of all those three, the only one who looks comfortable on their own up front is Drinan.

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024