Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans 08:53 - Dec 14 with 2981 viewsDubtractor

Apparently we are one of the best in the division with the ball, its just the off the ball stuff that is a problem.

They must take us all for fools.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:05 - Dec 14 with 2927 viewsbobbyramsey

Blind fools.....
I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:20 - Dec 14 with 2883 viewsSeablu

Possession stats mean very little.
People used to howl about them when MM was here and virtually every opponent out-possessed us.
The fact that us and MK Dons are at the top of the possession table tells us how utterly pointless they are.
I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:24 - Dec 14 with 2873 viewsGuthrum

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:20 - Dec 14 by Seablu

People used to howl about them when MM was here and virtually every opponent out-possessed us.
The fact that us and MK Dons are at the top of the possession table tells us how utterly pointless they are.

Big difference between possession and meaningful possession.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:29 - Dec 14 with 2853 viewsKeno

Did he specify which ball?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:29 - Dec 14 with 2853 viewsbobbyramsey

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:24 - Dec 14 by Guthrum

It should only be counted in the final third or something similar.
I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:38 - Dec 14 with 2826 viewsBloomBlue

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:20 - Dec 14 by Seablu

But to be fair when MM was manager fans constantly used the low possession percentage against him. ie "we'll never score when our possession percentage is so low, unless you have the ball you'll never score". Now all we hear is when our possession % is high is, 'it's the wrong possession".
I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:43 - Dec 14 with 2801 viewsMonkeyAlan

The club is taking the p!as with these interviews. Is it being done to wind the supporters up? Because it's the same old BS from all of them. Trouble is you have an Owner who doesn't give a to$$, a manager who is clueless and players who don't give a stuff.
I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:48 - Dec 14 with 2791 viewsSeablu

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:24 - Dec 14 by Guthrum

Couldn’t find the table for meaningful possession.
Quite difficult to define though.
In theory, as long as you have the ball, the opposition can’t do anything meaningful with it. Does that render it meaningful?
Login to get fewer ads

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:50 - Dec 14 with 2774 viewsKeno

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:48 - Dec 14 by Seablu

In theory, as long as you have the ball, the opposition can’t do anything meaningful with it. Does that render it meaningful?

Unless you give it away on the edge of your own box and they score?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:51 - Dec 14 with 2768 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:38 - Dec 14 by BloomBlue

But to be fair when MM was manager fans constantly used the low possession percentage against him. ie "we'll never score when our possession percentage is so low, unless you have the ball you'll never score". Now all we hear is when our possession % is high is, 'it's the wrong possession".

To be fair though, there were plenty of occasions when we would go 90 minutes with zero shots on target, or even off target, under MM.
I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:57 - Dec 14 with 2746 viewsSeablu

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:50 - Dec 14 by Keno

Unless you give it away on the edge of your own box and they score?

If you popped it round pointlessly between the back four for 30 seconds before losing it, does that render all 30 seconds meaningless, or the just the 2 seconds it took to dispossess Toto or Luke or Mark?
I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:58 - Dec 14 with 2744 viewsPinewoodblue

Our possession football is similar to the way Liverpool and Arsenal move the ball around if you run a video of Ipswich doing it at double speed. The only other difference is they do it in the opponents half.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 10:21 - Dec 14 with 2670 viewsstantheman

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:38 - Dec 14 by BloomBlue

The strange thing is with this possession debate is you have to a number of other things going on at the same time, like pressing at the right time when you haven't got possession etc. I remember watching us play Fulham a few seasons ago and they had a huge % of possession and just kept it for what seemed hours at the time. Utterly boring to watch because we didn't have any forcing in midfield to stop them doing it. We have been pretty useless at stopping teams doing to us for as long as I can remember. I wonder what dispossession % we have because we used to lose every 50/50 we went into.
I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 12:14 - Dec 14 with 2563 viewsTractorJack

There is actually an advanced metric called possession value which calculates the likelihood of scoring from each possession. It won't be publicly available though.

https://www.statsperform.com/resource/introducing-a-possession-value-framework/

I mean its fairly obvious from the eyes that we wouldn't score well.
I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 12:27 - Dec 14 with 2540 viewsitfcjoe

Entrances into the opposition 18 yard box, completed passes in the final third.....

L1 doesn't get the coverage that the CHampionship does, but some not paricularly advanced metrics will show what we are

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 13:21 - Dec 14 with 2454 viewsDyland

It's surreal isn't it.

As Thingers said, Evans is talking us into oblivion. He's either having a staring competition with Lambert and effectively doubling down on the contract extension, or he actually believes Lambert's bluff and bluster. The latter would be worse, imo.

Of course, both options presume Evans really gives a sh1t about getting back into the second division in the first place....

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 13:33 - Dec 14 with 2425 viewsGuthrum

Not if you're seemingly unable to do anything meaningful yourself. Possession needs to result in chances, otherwise every game will be a 0 - 0 draw at best.

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 13:41 - Dec 14 with 2403 viewsGuthrum

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 09:57 - Dec 14 by Seablu

If you popped it round pointlessly between the back four for 30 seconds before losing it, does that render all 30 seconds meaningless, or the just the 2 seconds it took to dispossess Toto or Luke or Mark?

Yes. You've wasted 30 seconds of the match for no material gain. If that 30 seconds consisted of CB to CB to MF who exchanges passes with other MFs to wide man who crosses for players in the box, that is productive.

Unlike advanced throw to DM to CB to goalie to CB and repeat the last two.

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 13:49 - Dec 14 with 2380 viewsChrisd

I think they are getting confused with the amount of possession we have, but mainly overlook where that possession is taking place on the pitch. We literally do nothing with the ball to hurt sides and when it comes to the attacking third we are the 4th worst ranked side in L1. I'm just baffled at what PL and his coaching staff are actually trying to achieve with this approach, how are we going to win games with this toothless philosophy? The fact he thinks or believes we are all gullible and actually can't see it for what it is, is staggering! Pity our owner is blind to it too.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 19:20 - Dec 14 with 2231 viewsJermynblue

Some interesting comments in this thread. The right statistics in combination with others are very telling and some are having very good success as a result of diligent interpretation and application of them to outperform other teams relatively speaking. For example I think that it is no coincidence that Brighton under Tony Bloom and Brentford under Matthew Benham have both performed above expectations in recent seasons. They really know what they are doing with statistical analysis. Sure, not every decision they make is correct, but they get more right than wrong and hence the generally good upward trend of each club in recent seasons. In contrast focussing too heavily on one area - whether it is possession which seems to be the case under Lambert or distance run as was the case with Hurst is the wrong use of statistics.
I note that Ward is as deluded as Lambert and Evans on 21:23 - Dec 14 with 2146 viewsistanblue

They do because large sections of the fanbase won't call them out on their BS, they'll just clap a manager, an owner and players who have bought us to our lowest ebb in well over half a century.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024