Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£18m salary cap in Championship from next season 07:59 - Dec 15 with 2192 viewsElderGrizzly

And point penalties for breaching. But ridiculously not applied until you get into the Premier League 🙄

And for those relegated from the PL, a huge advantage

“In an attempt to allow Premier League clubs threatened with the drop to protect their assets, players on contracts above £720,000 a year – a divisional average calculated by dividing the £18m by 25 (the number of players in a squad) – will be registered at the £720,000 mark and their contracts can be extended at existing levels of pay should they have less than 18 months on their deals remaining and should their clubs be in receipt of parachute payments”
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 8:02]
£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 08:03 - Dec 15 with 2147 viewsDennyx4

I doubt any of the relegated clubs from the Premier League have a wage bill of £18m - believe Norwich was close to £50m when they came down and nearer to £40m the season they went back up with no parachute payments.

Not sure how they can enforce this, with parachute payments continuing - seems to be a conflict between the two.

Also not convinced the Premier League are going to want to keep deducting points from teams at the beginning of the season.

Just seen your edit - so not a £18m cap for relegated clubs.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 8:04]
£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 08:07 - Dec 15 with 2115 viewsElderGrizzly

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 08:03 - Dec 15 by Dennyx4

I doubt any of the relegated clubs from the Premier League have a wage bill of £18m - believe Norwich was close to £50m when they came down and nearer to £40m the season they went back up with no parachute payments.

Not sure how they can enforce this, with parachute payments continuing - seems to be a conflict between the two.

Also not convinced the Premier League are going to want to keep deducting points from teams at the beginning of the season.

Just seen your edit - so not a £18m cap for relegated clubs.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 8:04]

On the edit, it’s almost like they are protecting their own from competition...
£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 08:07 - Dec 15 with 2112 viewsDennyx4

That last piece, almost makes it a closed shop in the top flight.
£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 08:08 - Dec 15 with 2106 viewsDennyx4

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 08:07 - Dec 15 by ElderGrizzly

On the edit, it’s almost like they are protecting their own from competition...

Just posted similar - similar in League 1 / Championship with the wage cap now being applied here too
£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 08:12 - Dec 15 with 2076 viewshype313

That division is far too expensive for Evans, he will happily swan along in this league for the foreseeable, especially with the £2.5 million salary cap in place next year, it makes things far more manageable for his finances.

Hence why Lambert isn't going anywhere in a hurry.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 08:16 - Dec 15 with 2044 viewsMetal_Hacker

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 08:12 - Dec 15 by hype313

That division is far too expensive for Evans, he will happily swan along in this league for the foreseeable, especially with the £2.5 million salary cap in place next year, it makes things far more manageable for his finances.

I've said this all along....we/he/them are going nowhere !

Poll: If it were one or the other

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 08:36 - Dec 15 with 1957 viewshype313

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 08:16 - Dec 15 by Metal_Hacker

I've said this all along....we/he/them are going nowhere !

People are finally waking up and starting to smell the coffee, and they don't like it.

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 09:07 - Dec 15 with 1866 viewsitfcjoe

Why spend £750k on the most expensive manager in the league just to keep us standing still - if that's the plan you just get rid and let the academy bods run the club

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 09:12 - Dec 15 with 1843 viewsGuthrum

I still say it's not as straightforward as that. Yes, the outgoings are capped, but the income is greatly reduced as well - Sky money, Prem "solidarity" payments, matches shown on TV, no bye through to the 3rd round of the FA Cup, reduced gate receipts.

In the case of that last, not only are ticket prices lower, but after 14 months of Covid, possible economic effects of Brexit, relegation and (by then) two disappointments, plus anger at some of the club's behaviour, take-up of season tickets is very likely to be significantly reduced. In addition, there will often be fewer away fans attending.

On top of which, ITFC will remain further from any chance of making it - by accident or design - into the Premier League.

For this "budget club" concept, it would surely make more sense to have a budget manager, rather than Paul Lambert, who is going to be on a decent wage. Tho in respect to that, the ill-advised five-year contract is probably a millstone around the neck.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 09:20 - Dec 15 with 1796 viewsElderGrizzly

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 09:12 - Dec 15 by Guthrum

I still say it's not as straightforward as that. Yes, the outgoings are capped, but the income is greatly reduced as well - Sky money, Prem "solidarity" payments, matches shown on TV, no bye through to the 3rd round of the FA Cup, reduced gate receipts.

In the case of that last, not only are ticket prices lower, but after 14 months of Covid, possible economic effects of Brexit, relegation and (by then) two disappointments, plus anger at some of the club's behaviour, take-up of season tickets is very likely to be significantly reduced. In addition, there will often be fewer away fans attending.

On top of which, ITFC will remain further from any chance of making it - by accident or design - into the Premier League.

For this "budget club" concept, it would surely make more sense to have a budget manager, rather than Paul Lambert, who is going to be on a decent wage. Tho in respect to that, the ill-advised five-year contract is probably a millstone around the neck.

Agree, the plan is clearly not to let us tick along down here.

The Championship introducing a cap, actually brings a lot of clubs back towards us at a level Evans was previously prepared to spend at. Our wage bill was higher than the proposed cap for last 2 years I believe.

I guess the question is, does Evans want or is he able to get us out of this league and then compete at the top end of that cap. Recognising the relegated PL clubs will still have the ‘fudge’ on contract value
£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 09:22 - Dec 15 with 1780 viewshype313

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 09:07 - Dec 15 by itfcjoe

Why spend £750k on the most expensive manager in the league just to keep us standing still - if that's the plan you just get rid and let the academy bods run the club

Because, and this is my opinion so could be way off, he doesn't trust anyone in the academy to come in and take the job on, Klug has publicly stated he wouldn't want the job full time so that leaves some real rookies with no experience to take the reins.

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 09:26 - Dec 15 with 1749 viewsSwansea_Blue

If you wanted to manufacture a group of yoyo clubs, you'd do this. It's nuts.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 09:44 - Dec 15 with 1684 viewsIpswichKnight

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 09:20 - Dec 15 by ElderGrizzly

Agree, the plan is clearly not to let us tick along down here.

The Championship introducing a cap, actually brings a lot of clubs back towards us at a level Evans was previously prepared to spend at. Our wage bill was higher than the proposed cap for last 2 years I believe.

I guess the question is, does Evans want or is he able to get us out of this league and then compete at the top end of that cap. Recognising the relegated PL clubs will still have the ‘fudge’ on contract value

Surely the answer is yes? We are a much more valuable asset for him to sell in the championship than in league 1. I doubt anyone will come close to the 20-30m valuation for the club while we are languishing in L1. Get us promoted and the valuation increases.
£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 10:17 - Dec 15 with 1597 viewsjayessess

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 09:26 - Dec 15 by Swansea_Blue

If you wanted to manufacture a group of yoyo clubs, you'd do this. It's nuts.

The rule changes actually work in the other direction though, don't they? At present Premier League clubs come down with parachute payments and can then go on and do whatever new recruitment they fancy on top of that. With the rule change most will be more or less at the cap as soon as they come down and even if they sell players they'll only be able to pay their replacement the average Championship salary. It's far more restrictive than it is now.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 10:27 - Dec 15 with 1567 viewsChrisd

I have felt this for sometime. If he wants out from here, then he wants to keep his spending to a minimum and the debt manageable, going up would completely blow that out of the water. Look how much would be needed to be invested in our squad to make us competitive? L1 is what ME has been aiming for with his level of investment over the last few seasons, it's become less and less and now it's finally come home to roost and the L1 salary cap is an added bonus for him. It's us as supporters that are panicking, due to our status and past history.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 10:38 - Dec 15 with 1533 viewsjayessess

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 10:27 - Dec 15 by Chrisd

I have felt this for sometime. If he wants out from here, then he wants to keep his spending to a minimum and the debt manageable, going up would completely blow that out of the water. Look how much would be needed to be invested in our squad to make us competitive? L1 is what ME has been aiming for with his level of investment over the last few seasons, it's become less and less and now it's finally come home to roost and the L1 salary cap is an added bonus for him. It's us as supporters that are panicking, due to our status and past history.

I do think he's a lot more sanguine about remaining in League One than most of us are, but... The idea that he actively wants us to be in L1 is irrational. There's no law that says he has to pay the necessary wages to properly compete in the Championship if we go up.

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 15:06 - Dec 15 with 1304 viewsChrisd

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 10:38 - Dec 15 by jayessess

I do think he's a lot more sanguine about remaining in League One than most of us are, but... The idea that he actively wants us to be in L1 is irrational. There's no law that says he has to pay the necessary wages to properly compete in the Championship if we go up.

Sadly, like many of us on here, we're thinking as fans of the club not the owner of a business. He'll lose far more money getting promoted than staying in L1 and like I said earlier he's got the added bonus of the salary cap kicking in next season. Lets not forget, we've got plenty of our squad out of contract in the summer too. It's tough to accept from our point of view, but staying in L1 for him is the better of two evils financially. Until he goes and we have an owner that has a genuine affinity for the club we won't move forward.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 15:09]

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 15:14 - Dec 15 with 1262 viewsjayessess

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 15:06 - Dec 15 by Chrisd

Sadly, like many of us on here, we're thinking as fans of the club not the owner of a business. He'll lose far more money getting promoted than staying in L1 and like I said earlier he's got the added bonus of the salary cap kicking in next season. Lets not forget, we've got plenty of our squad out of contract in the summer too. It's tough to accept from our point of view, but staying in L1 for him is the better of two evils financially. Until he goes and we have an owner that has a genuine affinity for the club we won't move forward.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 15:09]

What you are saying here is just as irrational (perhaps more so, even) from the perspective of a business owner.

Why would a business owner prefer revenues of £7-8m to revenues of £20-22m? Why would they prefer their asset to go down in value? All additional costs in the Championship are entirely at Evans' discretion, so why would he worry about "losing more money in the Championship" when he could just choose not to?
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 15:15]

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 15:32 - Dec 15 with 1219 viewsChrisd

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 15:14 - Dec 15 by jayessess

What you are saying here is just as irrational (perhaps more so, even) from the perspective of a business owner.

Why would a business owner prefer revenues of £7-8m to revenues of £20-22m? Why would they prefer their asset to go down in value? All additional costs in the Championship are entirely at Evans' discretion, so why would he worry about "losing more money in the Championship" when he could just choose not to?

Look, you've got your opinion, I've got mine, but the way he acts as our owner he gives me the impression he's more than happy to remain in L1 for the foreseeable and that's exactly why we need a new owner that has genuine passion, ambition and drive for the club.

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 15:39 - Dec 15 with 1203 viewsitfcjoe

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 15:14 - Dec 15 by jayessess

Especially when you consider how much more highly valued any of our academy players would be in the second tier for sales.

Until we replace Lambert with a cheap option, downgrade the academy and no longer have the largest squad of senior pros in the division any talk of being happy to stay in l1 s just bonkers.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 15:56 - Dec 15 with 1122 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 15:32 - Dec 15 by Chrisd

Look, you've got your opinion, I've got mine, but the way he acts as our owner he gives me the impression he's more than happy to remain in L1 for the foreseeable and that's exactly why we need a new owner that has genuine passion, ambition and drive for the club.

Your opinion doesn’t make any rational sense though, and doesn’t answer his question as to why he would be worried about losing money in the Championship when it’s within his own gift to simply not do so?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 16:01 - Dec 15 with 1113 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 10:17 - Dec 15 by jayessess

The rule changes actually work in the other direction though, don't they? At present Premier League clubs come down with parachute payments and can then go on and do whatever new recruitment they fancy on top of that. With the rule change most will be more or less at the cap as soon as they come down and even if they sell players they'll only be able to pay their replacement the average Championship salary. It's far more restrictive than it is now.

Yes, this

Clubs coming down currently generally sell their prize assets for large sums and then reinvest in big signings (in Championship terms - typically the better players in the division)

Under the cap those players will in most cases still leave (player power rules after all) with those remaining generally being those that aren’t really wanted and unable to shift. The difference however will be that replacing the ones lost will be less feasible as they simply won’t be able to hand out large salaries to new players thanks to the cap

What this actually creates is a PL bubble which Championship teams are unable to really break into, as going up and staying up will be incredibly difficult

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 16:07 - Dec 15 with 1114 viewsChrisd

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 15:39 - Dec 15 by itfcjoe

Especially when you consider how much more highly valued any of our academy players would be in the second tier for sales.

Until we replace Lambert with a cheap option, downgrade the academy and no longer have the largest squad of senior pros in the division any talk of being happy to stay in l1 s just bonkers.

If it was bonkers, do you not think PL would be gone already if he was that desperate to get out of this league? If ME has lost interest, which many have suggested, I’m sure he’d rather be losing money at a manageable rate especially with the new salary cap coming in next season in L1 than spending hand over fist in the Championship on fees and wages, he can manage the debt easier in L1, it’s less likely to get out of hand. Look at the finances of a lot of those clubs they are in a total mess in the Championship chasing the EPL dream. Going up and spending next to nothing will see us do an even worse job than what we did last time trying to avoid relegation. Only time will tell, it’s only a theory chaps and chapettes.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 16:13]

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 16:21 - Dec 15 with 1074 viewsjayessess

£18m salary cap in Championship from next season on 16:01 - Dec 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yes, this

Clubs coming down currently generally sell their prize assets for large sums and then reinvest in big signings (in Championship terms - typically the better players in the division)

Under the cap those players will in most cases still leave (player power rules after all) with those remaining generally being those that aren’t really wanted and unable to shift. The difference however will be that replacing the ones lost will be less feasible as they simply won’t be able to hand out large salaries to new players thanks to the cap

What this actually creates is a PL bubble which Championship teams are unable to really break into, as going up and staying up will be incredibly difficult

From our perspective it would also mean 1/3 rather than 2/3rds of the division having a much bigger budget than us, which would be handy.

I'm not convinced that the PL bubble would be much different to be honest. If your budget goes from £18m to £120m overnight you more or less buy a new team - but that's more or less true now!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024