Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing 10:35 - Dec 15 with 3781 viewsElderGrizzly

Will be interesting to see how the two main parties position themselves here

[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 10:36]
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 10:46 - Dec 15 with 2415 viewsMookamoo

I can't see Boris willing to be the PM who stole Christmas. Maybe he'll try for a parliamentary vote on the measures and force Labour and his backbench doubters to step up let them be the Christmas Grinches.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 10:49 - Dec 15 with 2404 viewsStokieBlue

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 10:46 - Dec 15 by Mookamoo

I can't see Boris willing to be the PM who stole Christmas. Maybe he'll try for a parliamentary vote on the measures and force Labour and his backbench doubters to step up let them be the Christmas Grinches.

No way he will cancel Christmas even though it's the correct thing to do and it was the correct thing to do a month ago when many were discussing it on here.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 10:50 - Dec 15 with 2386 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not just the Two main parties. The devolved governments as well.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 10:55 - Dec 15 with 2370 viewsbluelagos

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 10:49 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

No way he will cancel Christmas even though it's the correct thing to do and it was the correct thing to do a month ago when many were discussing it on here.

SB

I sense a bit of a groundswell/shift of opinion.

If the new variant can be shown to be more virulent (faster spread) then he has both an additional need to do something, and a "Get out of jail" card.

That assumes of course that he is capable of making a tough call when it needs to be made, rather than say spend 2 weeks dithering before making the same call he should have made previously.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 10:59 - Dec 15 with 2361 viewsusm

Families will mix in any event.
Hopefully the "3 household" rule will mean that most families restrict themselves to that - most that I have spoken to seem to be intending to.
If he tries to ban mixing, people will rebel against it and quite likely mix more. Having a 3 household limit at least gives us some sort of guidance and some "freedom".
I suspect it will mean a pretty severe January lockdown but I think that would have happened anyway.
They cannot win either way.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:03 - Dec 15 with 2334 viewsstantheman

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 10:55 - Dec 15 by bluelagos

I sense a bit of a groundswell/shift of opinion.

If the new variant can be shown to be more virulent (faster spread) then he has both an additional need to do something, and a "Get out of jail" card.

That assumes of course that he is capable of making a tough call when it needs to be made, rather than say spend 2 weeks dithering before making the same call he should have made previously.

Regardless of what anyone says I will only mix with one household on Christmas Day (my daughters family nearby) and then return home Boxing Day. That's it and the end of Christmas as far as I am concerned.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:08 - Dec 15 with 2297 viewssolemio

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:03 - Dec 15 by stantheman

Regardless of what anyone says I will only mix with one household on Christmas Day (my daughters family nearby) and then return home Boxing Day. That's it and the end of Christmas as far as I am concerned.

Sounds eminently sensible to me, stanleythegentleman.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:27 - Dec 15 with 2238 viewsFixed_It

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 10:59 - Dec 15 by usm

Families will mix in any event.
Hopefully the "3 household" rule will mean that most families restrict themselves to that - most that I have spoken to seem to be intending to.
If he tries to ban mixing, people will rebel against it and quite likely mix more. Having a 3 household limit at least gives us some sort of guidance and some "freedom".
I suspect it will mean a pretty severe January lockdown but I think that would have happened anyway.
They cannot win either way.

There will be six of us from 3 households on Christmas Day. It would have been more but we are sticking to the original guidance. And as a teacher who has had to mix indoors with individuals from multiple households since September with little or no social distancing, no-one can convince me that when 'off duty' I should be forced to live like a hermit...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:27 - Dec 15 with 2226 viewsStokieBlue

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:03 - Dec 15 by stantheman

Sounds like you'd do that regardless of what the rules are though?

SB

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:34 - Dec 15 with 2206 viewsstantheman

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:27 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

Sounds like you'd do that regardless of what the rules are though?

SB

Nope, usually visit my other daughter's, who lives some distance away, and have other friends round right up to, and including New Years. This year nothing more than mentioned.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:37 - Dec 15 with 2196 viewshomer_123

#commonsensewillnotprevail

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:40 - Dec 15 with 2178 viewsStokieBlue

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:34 - Dec 15 by stantheman

Nope, usually visit my other daughter's, who lives some distance away, and have other friends round right up to, and including New Years. This year nothing more than mentioned.

Not sure you read my point correctly?

You are saying you will do that no matter what anybody says so you will do that regardless of the rules - even if the rules are no mixing?

That is the problem Boris has, even though it sounds like you're being very sensible it could still be against the rules if they are changed and there will be a lot who won't follow them.

SB

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:46 - Dec 15 with 2124 viewsstantheman

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:40 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

You are saying you will do that no matter what anybody says so you will do that regardless of the rules - even if the rules are no mixing?

That is the problem Boris has, even though it sounds like you're being very sensible it could still be against the rules if they are changed and there will be a lot who won't follow them.

SB

Oh ok. If the rules are changed (doubt they will be tbf) I do not know what I will do. Just assuming that where I live the rules will not be changed. My wife might be the one who has the final say though, then I can blame her if the house is raided by the Covid police.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:47 - Dec 15 with 2119 viewsDubtractor

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:27 - Dec 15 by Fixed_It

There will be six of us from 3 households on Christmas Day. It would have been more but we are sticking to the original guidance. And as a teacher who has had to mix indoors with individuals from multiple households since September with little or no social distancing, no-one can convince me that when 'off duty' I should be forced to live like a hermit...

Similar thoughts in this house as Mrs
Dub is a teacher.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:49 - Dec 15 with 2110 viewsfactual_blue

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:47 - Dec 15 by Dubtractor

Dub is a teacher.

Is one allowed to ride to hounds on Boxing Day?

(Asking for a friend)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:51 - Dec 15 with 2104 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Does seem to be a needless risk.

I live near York, we are in Tier 2, but most people I know aren't going to mix over Xmas.

Strangely the testing centre in York is barely used at the moment. You can book a test at 30 mins notice as it's so quiet.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:53 - Dec 15 with 2094 viewsstantheman

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:47 - Dec 15 by Dubtractor

Dub is a teacher.

I thought there was some sort of social distancing in schools, but God knows how you do it, especially with little ones.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:54 - Dec 15 with 2088 viewsjeera

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:27 - Dec 15 by Fixed_It

You're hardly a hermit mate, what with having a family around you. I think anyway, forgive me if I'm wrong.

Plenty of us live alone buddy and would like to be in a position to see other people but are still trying to do what's considered best.

I'm planning on going to visit my mum for the week but that's all there will be. None of us want her mixing with my sister's side which involves 3 generations as it is with only 2 households. Cannot risk it at her age, this side of a vaccine especially.

It's going to be a bit of dull one for us this year but there you go.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:55 - Dec 15 with 2083 viewsFixed_It

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:53 - Dec 15 by stantheman

I thought there was some sort of social distancing in schools, but God knows how you do it, especially with little ones.

There was during the first Lockdown when we were only open for Key Worker and Vulnerable children. It has been nearly impossible with all students in since September.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:56 - Dec 15 with 2073 viewsjeera

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:55 - Dec 15 by Fixed_It

There was during the first Lockdown when we were only open for Key Worker and Vulnerable children. It has been nearly impossible with all students in since September.

You are secondary?

How have the kids observed practices? Or haven't they?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:01 - Dec 15 with 2059 viewsElderGrizzly

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:40 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

SB

The message from the Government minister on the media rounds this morning appears to be they will keep the 5 days, but we need to do the minimum possible.

In other words, washing their hands of any issues when spikes occur
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:02 - Dec 15 with 2050 viewsFixed_It

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:54 - Dec 15 by jeera

You're hardly a hermit mate, what with having a family around you. I think anyway, forgive me if I'm wrong.

Plenty of us live alone buddy and would like to be in a position to see other people but are still trying to do what's considered best.

I'm planning on going to visit my mum for the week but that's all there will be. None of us want her mixing with my sister's side which involves 3 generations as it is with only 2 households. Cannot risk it at her age, this side of a vaccine especially.

It's going to be a bit of dull one for us this year but there you go.

I am all for following the guidelines, but the point is the Government are totally contradicting themselves when it comes to schools and teachers.
My family mostly live away (abroad), and so I won't be seeing them unfortunately. I totally get you trying to do what's best, and I would be exactly the same if I had been living according to those guidelines hitherto. But I haven't been able to because of my job. FWIW I will not be visiting my parents this Christmas - again, because of my job.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:06 - Dec 15 with 2038 viewsFixed_It

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:56 - Dec 15 by jeera

You are secondary?

How have the kids observed practices? Or haven't they?

Basically - they haven't. We are continually reminding them to wear masks in corridors. We are continually reminding them to avoid physical contact, We are continually telling them 'tough'(well - usually a bit more subtle than that) when they complain that 'It's freezing!' the second the window is open for ventilation. It's been very draining for all of us.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:08 - Dec 15 with 2013 viewshomer_123

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 11:51 - Dec 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

Does seem to be a needless risk.

I live near York, we are in Tier 2, but most people I know aren't going to mix over Xmas.

Strangely the testing centre in York is barely used at the moment. You can book a test at 30 mins notice as it's so quiet.

Is that because everyone has Covid then? ;)

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:10 - Dec 15 with 1995 viewsRyorry

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 10:49 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

SB

Quite. Him putting the right thing to do over popularity? His history shows 0 chance of that. A third wave of Covid_19 is inevitable.

Usually go to friends for Christmas Day, it's going to be a walk along the beach or maybe up t'dale this year, just me & the mutt. Life is for living as long as you can, not just for Christmas.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024